• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Piecake

Oct 27, 2017
Since the beginning of time, philosophers have debated the questions that define us as humans: Where did our universe come from? What is the meaning of life? Is a hot dog a sandwich?

We're still trying to answer the first two, but we can definitively answer the third question.

A hot dog is not a sandwich.

A hot dog is a taco.

Enter the Cube Rule, a simple way to categorize What Foods Are and What Foods Aren't. According to the Cube Rule, there are eight categories of food, each defined by the placement of starch. Use a cube as your guideline for where the bread or starch goes, and it will determine what a food truly is — and whether it is a sandwich. Starch only on the bottom? It's a toast. Starch on the top and bottom that is not connected is, obviously, a sandwich. But starch on the bottom and two opposing sides is a taco. Therefore, a hot dog is a taco. And, to correct RBG, a sub is also a taco. Rolled starch on the top, bottom and two opposing sides is, according to the Cube Rule, maki roll sushi. Therefore, an enchilada is sushi. Starch on every side except the top, like a quiche, is a bread bowl. Any food fully enclosed in starch is a calzone. A corn dog is a calzone. A Pop-Tart is a calzone. A bean pupusa is a calzone.

PVKHDL5LWA425JOJCDX26UJDRQ.jpg

So what about starches that don't have "sides," like spaghetti? Simple answer: All starches that do not hold a defined shape, or foods that do not contain starches, are salads. Poutine is a salad. Fried rice is a salad. Mashed potatoes are a salad. A steak is a salad, albeit one with only one ingredient. Any starches or non-starches suspended in liquids are soups, which are just wet salads. A vanilla soy latte is technically, according to the Cube Rule, a three-bean soup. And while a loaf of bread, the building block of this formula, might be a six-sided starch, it is not a calzone: it is merely an uncut toast. This applies to any breads that do not have a filling. A plain doughnut is a toast, but a jelly doughnut is a calzone. A dinner roll is a toast.

And many examples at the link

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...explain/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.19b5a5f81468

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I came in here expecting to be furious but I quite like this and will use it going forward.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't this make cake a sandwich, since its slices of bread stacked on top of each other with filling in between?

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
This is the dumbest thing I've ever read. Just to easily debunk this, how many times have you had a hot dog and the two pieces of bun separate completely. Or there's the smallest sliver of dough keeping things together.

Nah.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Box theory has gone too far this time, calzones don't count as food, they're on another level of sustenance

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
People are always trying to organize things in neat little boxes...
It's getting a bit old at this point. Just because a food is "sandwiched" between two other foods (including both ends of a tortilla shell) doesn't mean it's a sandwich in the conventional sense. I mean, who's actually demanding to know if things like wraps, hot dogs, and tacos are sandwiches? Who cares what counts as a burrito or an enchilada or a calzone? Who cares if something is a pizza, a pie, or a casserole?

Just keep it simple. We created terms for each of these things. Arguing over the crossover potential is merely a means of creating additional media to be consumed such as articles from journalistic websites (see The Takeout's "Is a hot dog a sandwich?" series). Seems kind of pointless, creating discussion out of nothing.

To some it's probably good fun. To me it's just silly.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
That said, I'd probably read an article going through the Michelin Guide instagram and trying to quantify the foods using the supposed cube rule.
Media to be consumed and nothing else. Of course, I'll admit I'd probably read it too. Not because I care about proper categorization, but because I'm curious as to the depth of substance one could draw out of such an analysis.

All this talk just makes me hungry!

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
These food categorization debates are why Trump won.