• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
***** LAST WARNING! SPOILERS FOR HORIZON FORBIDDEN WEST AHEAD! *****

A leaked review for Horizon Forbidden West was accidently published by a Chinese reviewer as per @usupedro

A chinese review leaked, it looks incomplete but there is some information that could be considered spoiler so please don't open if you are worried about that.
Overall the person seems to have liked it:

The review itself has spoilers in it and one of the most notable that many people mentioned right away in the review thread was that the long hoped for flyable machine mounts are confirmed in the review. The sun wing specifically is called out, not sure if other flying mounts would be available.

Sun-winged beast, similar to a pterosaur, powered by solar cells on the wings, long-range attacks, the whole body will be covered with shields, mouth firing plasma shells, can be used as a mount. Usually found in high mountains

horizon-forbidden-west-sunwing.jpg

So for those long hoping for flying mounts in Horizon finally get your wish!

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Worth it. Now I'm HYPED!
To be fair they have been teasing it quite a bit. This will finally shut up those saying that the PS4 held back the game and it makes GG goddam wizards for being able to pull it off.

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
As I said in the other thread: I'm eating crow

I would have bet my ass they wouldn't do it.

saforia

Apr 19, 2019
UK
So happy they've included this just surprised that they haven't shown it off in a trailer.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I figured as much seeing as they wanted this in Part 1 and the placement of the Sunwing on the cover. Add the fact they never denied you would get a flying mount and this isn't surprising but it will be so fun!

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of claimed that HFW being cross-generation was the reason this was being omitted.

Because there's no flying in last-gen games or something.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
There needs to be some context for what is or isn't a spoiler because I would click this thread with absolutely no fear now knowing what the "spoiler" is, but almost didn't click it because I was concerned it would be an actual major plot point or something.

AhiKuma

Banned
Sep 28, 2021
I wouldn't call a gameplay mechanic like that a spoiler.

It was definitely a high requested feature for the next game and with FW announced as being cross-gen there was arguments about flying mounts not being doable. I know people said it wasn't for the first game but I dunno if they were saying it just because or someone from GG said that.

OP
OP
HStallion

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't call a gameplay mechanic like that a spoiler.

There needs to be some context for what is or isn't a spoiler because I would click this thread with absolutely no fear now knowing what the "spoiler" is, but almost didn't click it because I was concerned it would be an actual major plot point or something.

It could be tied to story elements so I played it safe. Its not like GG is showing this aspect off at all in any of the promotional material and that's probably for a reason.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Same. Not for technical reasons but mostly mechanics/content wise. Flying mounts are basically 'interactive fast travel' and make the world relatively small and have little actual gameplay use in 'general'.

Going to assume it'll be late-game/restricted by how long you can over-ride it.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I've wanted this since the first game. One of my biggest frustrations with Zero Dawn was the below average traversal. Between the grapple hook, glider, and flying mounts, it really seems they're doing all that they can to make navigating the world actually fun, so this is great news.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I think OP was blowing this spoiler up a little bit. For those following the game, it was almost known.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Level design better be top notch then. Flying mounts can destroy exploration

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
But I was told vehemently that this was impossible because they made it cross-gen.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Phew. I was kicking myself for being unable to click on this thread and it's only good news, haha.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Going to assume it'll be late-game/restricted by how long you can over-ride it.

RPG tropes I guess.

Early game: "You have to travel across these far and distant lands; it will be a modern Odyssey! A tale of legends! You'll meet new civilisations, cultures and change the course of many lives and this planet's future!"

Late game: "This mount will allow you to reach every corner of the map in less than two minutes"

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to remember the last time a mechanic spoiler was some sort of news.

But I can't wait to fly.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
clicked this thread thinking it would be an actual spoiler and not just something that actually sounds like fun gameplay

hope it's better than Pokemon Legends' flying mount

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
I'm trying to remember the last time a mechanic spoiler was some sort of news.

But I can't wait to fly.

Yeah, I don't really see this as a "spoiler," since most games show stuff like this off in previews all the times. I guess it technically counts, though, since the studio clearly hid it on purpose (if the leak is accurate, anyhow).

OP
OP
HStallion

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Just to be blunt if I had stated what the review revealed in the title or didn't mention spoilers this thread would be filled with people bitching about being spoiled so you can save me the indignity of finding out the spoiler was a gamepla;y mechanic.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
It is when they said they cut it because they couldn't do it on PS4 due to hardware issues.

Never read too much into those type of quotes. Every engineering effort is relative to the time available. If given enough time, very clever people will make it work. But making games also means deadlines so not every goal is reachable in a certain timeframe; unless you can brute-force it specs wise.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
RPG tropes I guess.

Early game: "You have to travel across these far and distant lands; it will be a modern Odyssey! A tale of legends! You'll meet new civilisations, cultures and change the course of many lives and this planet's future!"

Late game: "This mount will allow you to reach every corner of the map in less than two minutes"

I'm guessing that since Sunwings are found only in specific mountain-tops/areas + you can only override them for so long (perhaps less than standard mounts), that might be a way to mitigate or limit that effect.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Just to be blunt if I had stated what the review revealed in the title or didn't mention spoilers this thread would be filled with people bitching about being spoiled so you can save me the indignity of finding out the spoiler was a gamepla;y mechanic.

Oh, I totally get it and think you clearly made the right choice, I just think it's funny that people would see it as a "spoiler" in the first place.

Sep 21, 2019

So true 🤣

You could possibly remove "big" spoiler, though?

This isn't a big spoiler. I think that's what some people are saying. It's pretty small and pretty widely assumed.

Big spoilers are what happened with TLOU 2, and I think that's what people are thinking.