• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2945

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Lads and ladies, ladies and lads.

Morning.

Those that are unfamiliar with the word hyperbole, it's not pronounced hyperbowl it's pronounced leviosa.

Can we try harder to keep our wild opinions in check, saying something is awful, can we make sure we're taking into account all that exists in that particular set and not apply İGN's 7-10 scale to everything please?

Thanks guys.

Also, just because you have expectations of x, and it fails to match your expectations, doesn't mean X is now bad.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
No, everything that mildly disappoints me is garbage with no redeeming value. And also shit.

Have you seen the new Star Wars? It's garbage. Solo looks like trash. Infinity War is probably going to be boring bland shit.

Check me out, I'm an inarticulate guy with strong opinions! I'm too cool to be impressed by mainstream entertainment. In place of coherent thoughts, I blurt out feelings.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2945

Oct 25, 2017
So what made you make this thread?
İn the thread about poor games with good mechanics/something good about them, some wrote half life 2 was pretty much awful bar the sound.

No issue hating the game, no issue saying it's poor, no issue with saying it's overhyped and aged poorly.

But awful?

İn before "opinions how do they work?"

giphy.gif

Was Kingdom Come Deliverance reviews the catalyst?

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
You're blowing this way out of proportion. Your critique of hyperbole is clearly hyperbolic and without reasonable judgement.

Seriously though, opinions on this forum and elsewhere often lack nuance because it is exceptionally hard to convey this in text without sounding like you're using weasel words or acting in bad faith. You cannot judge tone or intent in text and because of this the only tool you have of any effectiveness is to be direct.

We all know what happens there. It's a problem with no real solution as without understanding of how an argument is framed and presented, grey may as well be black or white.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
İn the thread about poor games with good mechanics/something good about them, some wrote half life 2 was pretty much awful bar the sound.

No issue hating the game, no issue saying it's poor, no issue with saying it's overhyped and aged poorly.

But awful?

İn before "opinions how do they work?"
Also, you're opinion shitting.

I mean, that's fine but you'll be damned when you show any strength of opinion against the "acceptable view" now.

It's not your place to tell anyone else they cannot feel strongly against anything because you feel they are going outside your bounds of criticism.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2945

Oct 25, 2017
Also, you're opinion shitting.

I mean, that's fine but you'll be damned when you show any strength of opinion against the "acceptable view" now.

It's not your place to tell anyone else they cannot feel strongly against anything because you feel they are going outside your bounds of criticism.

Ok mate.

The whole point of hyperbole in this context is that it can only apply to opinions.

Hence the need for a reasonable spectrum of chat.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2945

Oct 25, 2017
I need an explanation as well, I know what it is, I just don't get it( I'm getting a bit slow as I age).
To explain my best joke, hermoine is telling someone off for not pronouncing leviosa properly. Considering I was helping with pronounciation of hyperbole, I thought it was a decent joke.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I agree. People think they look smart and self confident when they post stuff like that. In reality it makes them look dumb.

Last edited:

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Ok mate.

The whole point of hyperbole in this context is that it can only apply to opinions.

Hence the need for a reasonable spectrum of chat.
Your definition of reasonable and hyperbolic won't match literally anyone else exactly on every subject though.

So how about treating each case as they come, otherwise your call for "reasonable" discourse is just as hyperbolic as the opinion you critique.

Also I hate the mobile typing bug.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Your definition of reasonable and hyperbolic won't match literally anyone else exactly on every subject though.

So how about treating each case as they come, otherwise your call for "reasonable" discourse is just as hyperbolic as the opinion you critique.

Also I hate the mobile typing bug.

This is something else.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
This is something else.

Indeed it is, care to actually talk about it instead of resorting to an attempt to shut me down by painting my view as somehow unacceptable?
İf we have no way of identifying reasonable discussion, there can be no hyperbole then.
No, but self reflection when posting is a skill nearly everyone, myself included aren't too great at.

You may well think you're calling for calm,others may think you're hysterically overreacting to a post you didn't like and thus throwing a hissy fit.

I'm not saying that you are, but on the internet, how can you know whose opinions are coming from a reasonable mindset and whose are from someone a little too engaged, to put it nicely.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
So policing of strong opinions based on OPs subjective elevation of the thing being criticized? Wow, what a great and worthwhile thread.

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's really ducking stupid and I'm not being hyperbolic.

Hyperbole is a useful tool that can be abused but I think the ones complaining are just bad at recognizing it. Someone calls Suicide Squad the worst movie ever and a bunch of snobs will come in and say "you need to watch more movies if you think that's the worst movie." Look behind the text and see the subtext. Find out why they think it's the worst thing ever. It's not a ranking. It's feeling.

Complaints about hyperbole only seem to come up when it is negative, rarely when it is positive unless it is against the norm (like people saying BvS is one of the greatest movies).

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
But how is it actually pronounced?

Is it pronounced "hyper-bowl" "hyper-boil" or "hi-per-bo-lee"?

I've actually heard all three

Oct 28, 2017
That thread about Dunkirk being a "terrible" film led me to believe that people on the internet don't realize how deep they are in their hyperbole. It was cringe to read such a hyperbolic review of an objectively decent film.

Status
Not open for further replies.