• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Remember the days when every game looked like someone smeared vaseline all over the screen?

elderscrolls_oblivion_movie_3.jpg
ps3_uncharted_64.jpg
573876-fc8.jpg
928234_112906_screen002.jpg

92Nx2.jpg

graverobber-blige-large.jpg

And things got really interesting when they combined the bloom with piss filters.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
HAZE was so bad with this, holy hell.

I'd be interested to know how trends like these happen in gaming companies.

Like, who ends up saying "We need the bloom, everyone is doing the bloom" and "Stop doing the bloom, everyone stopped the bloom"?

Is it the suits? I bet it's the suits.

papercan

Oct 25, 2017
bloom with muddy colours was the worst developer trend, for it to get to a stage when even nintendo joined in with zelda was a crime.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like it's not always the worst thing in the world. I love the look of the Twilight Realm in TP.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Trials HD was heavy on this. Doesn't bother me too much in that one but other games are almost unplayable because of it, image quality is painful to look at.

Burnout Paradise, muddy and bloom. Not a great combination that many games had.

The soft bright shades of brown look means I'm unlikely to ever play them again.

I genuinely think it's actually painful for your eyes.

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
I feel like this has kept on happening for a while. Certain effects will become extremely popular and some developers will go absolutely overboard.

Late PS2 era to early PS3 era: Excessive bloom.
Mid to late PS3 era: Desaturated colours.
Now: Excessive use of post-processing effects in an attempt to make things look filmic (sharpening, chromatic aberration, vignette, and etc).

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
i liked bloom in oblivion, jade empire , nfs mw and such and still like bloom to this day.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
This alwaysssssssssss looked bad. I remember everyone creaming themselves on the lighting only that it was so SHIT. Like fuck how could anyone at any time ever look at those screens and be like "oh I love that pasty vaseline look!" Like fuck man.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
it had it's place at the time, i guess. but yeah it's pretty comical looking back

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
mgo9SQ1.jpg

Burnout Revenge added it in for the 360 port and it just made the game look less detailed.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
As a photographer i just don't get why anyone thought CA was something that needed to happen in games today, CA is not a feature but a flaw in shitty lenses and we avoid situations where we know it's prone to show it's ugly head.

Bloom was ok in some games, i remember not hating it in Oblivion for example but haze was shit.

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
I think it was okay in twilight princess since it was used only in the twilight realm, gave it an otherworldly feel.

xmassteps

Oct 30, 2017
I didn't get back into gaming until like 2011 after being really into the ps2 gen and was shocked how many 360/PS3 games looked like this

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Those Syndicate screens.

I remember the game had a very troubled development and EA wasn't interested in post-launch support which further strained the terrible relationship with Starbreeze.

Oct 27, 2017
At one point it was the latest in a long line of "next-gen" visual signifiers. Remember that this was about the same time that wet floors were all the rage.

I don't think it was that. After al it's a very cheap effect and the first game of note that used it stylistically was Sands of Time midway through the PS2 generation. It was just a visual trend.

Dorfdad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hate the bloom era it makes everything look like crap IMHO I turn that off instantly in PC games.