• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2018/12/bronchial-blood-clot/577480/

lead_720_405.jpg

On Tuesday, The New England Journal of Medicine tweeted the most recent addition to its photo series of the most visually arresting medical anomalies. The image is of a mysterious, branchlike structure that, posted elsewhere, would probably pass for a cherry-red chunk of some underground root system or a piece of bright reef coral. But this is no creature of the deep. It's a completely intact, six-inch-wide clot of human blood in the exact shape of the right bronchial tree, one of the two key tubular networks that ferry air to and from the lungs. And it was coughed up in one piece.

The clot is beautiful, and it's also kind of gross. The tweet received a slew of replies from those frightened that the photo showed an actual coughed-up lung, which is about as likely to happen as your brain falling out of your butt. But even the doctors who treated the 36-year-old man who produced the clot aren't entirely sure how it could have emerged without breaking.

Georg Wieselthaler, a transplant and pulmonary surgeon at the University of California at San Francisco, says the unnamed patient was initially admitted to the intensive-care unit with aggressive end-stage heart failure. Wieselthaler quickly connected the patient's struggling heart to a pump designed to help maximize blood flowthrough the body. But this type of ventricular-assist device comes with its own risks. "You have high turbulence inside the pumps, and that can cause clots to form inside," Wieselthalers says. "So with all these patients, you have to give them anticoagulants to make the blood thinner and prevent clots from forming."

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coughing that up and looking at it in front of me would give me a heart attack and probably kill me from shock

Edit: He died, damn. RIP. That is horrific honestly

Canklestank

Oct 26, 2017
That blood clot is huge. Just the size of it is terrifying. Amazing it stayed in one piece and kept so much detail though.

36 is way too young to go through something like this. RIP

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
how the fuck does that get coughed up

He was experiencing heart failure, so blood was probably pooling in his lungs. Along with the anticoagulants, it probably congealed into a soft-solid shape, allowing it to be coughed up.

Wish I had something like this during my cadaver labs in undergrad. There's something similar at Body Worlds displays...

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was beautiful until I saw that he died.

Now it's just a horrific monument to one man's demise.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Good god that is disgusting. I don't mind blood or surgery but the mere idea of that coming out of your mouth is the vilest thing ever.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not especially squeamish but for some reason that picture evokes a visceral disgust in me and I'm not sure why.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That is actually fucking INSANE. I'm incredibly fascinated. What the fuck is in his blood to make it clot to that extent??

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Can't imagine what it was like to see that coming out of someone's mouth.

RIP.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
"Hey, did I ever tell you about the time I coughed up something really weird? :)"

Oh crap, he died. My bad. :/

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
That is fascinating and as someone else said, horrifically beautiful. Imagine coughing that out...it'd be painful for sure.