• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I have a genuine question.

The last proper Pokemon game I played in earnest was Pokemon Diamond and I never played the others as I didn't have a 3DS.

I am looking forward to SwSh because I've not played a Pokemon game in ages and I don't care about the national dex.

However, it was my understanding playing Diamond back in the day that on the first run through of the game, it had all the new gen pokemon and then a couple of favourites from previous gens thrown in to the mix. Am I recalling that correctly?

If so, does that mean the national dex is just an end game feature?
Diamond and Pearl did not have all of the new Pokemon in the regional dex. Some were post game.

Platinum fixed this. Mostly.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Let me repeat, it's protest. He's a big wig at a big company and has been the main public figure for this whole debacle and people are making their voices heard. As long as he feels he can just ignore the fans and make non statements on the situation there is nothing wrong with this as long as people don't attack him.
Call it whatever you want, doesn't change the fact he's being harrased by entitled manbabies spamming his twitter. I'm sure he'll take your protests very seriously after seeing shitposts like these:

Again, give me a break. Harrasing people on Twitter is not a productive way of giving criticism.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017

The last proper Pokemon game I played in earnest was Pokemon Diamond and I never played the others as I didn't have a 3DS.

I am looking forward to SwSh because I've not played a Pokemon game in ages and I don't care about the national dex.

However, it was my understanding playing Diamond back in the day that on the first run through of the game, it had all the new gen pokemon and then a couple of favourites from previous gens thrown in to the mix. Am I recalling that correctly?

Yeah, in older games it was given to you after beating the game.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I am so dramatic, but the truth is, I really feel like something has died inside me lol. I don't care how fun the games are in the end, just realizing that there will never, ever be another game that has all the Pokémon in it, just makes me lose all strength, I just feel like when someone has passed away or something. I'm not even 30, and I hope to live a long life :P but just knowing that for the rest of my life I won't get a full game again, it's just like
dead.gif

I had enough with knowing that Britney Spears on her prime will never come back, and now this. I know nothing lasts forever, every cycle has an end, but why did the best things in my life have to end so soon?
sad.gif

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah

The National Dex has always been optional. But getting it would sometimes give you some neat things for doing so. Like in Emerald, if you completed the Hoenn dex, you would get the choice of a Johto starter which wasn't available otherwise.

And even if all the Pokemon weren't in Diamond and Pearl, you could still get them from the Gen 3 GBA games and transfer them to the Gen 4 games. There were no exceptions.

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
The original Gen 3 games were the only instances where you could not transfer Pokemon from Gen 1 and 2 to them, and that was because of different hardware. Since then it has been a never ending connection that has been severed now.

And before you tell me that it hasn't been severed because you can still transfer to Bank and some to Sw/Sh, I'm talking about any Pokemon.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It isn't that every Pokemon isn't going to be obtainable in SwSh. That's never been something possible in any game, its that there's no way to transfer Pokemon to the new game unless that species of Pokemon is already obtainable in SwSh.
Because Diamond, Pearl and Platinum are the only instance of gating some new Pokémon out of the regional dex and because you were still able to use all of the Pokémon.
But that's such a specific use case.

I actually now understand this outrage even less, but I'll not continue asking questions.

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah

I actually now understand this outrage even less, but I'll not continue asking questions.
In Diamond and Pearl you can transfer the rest of the missing Pokemon by using the Game Boy Advance slot on the original DS line. And then you keep them. That's really it. You can get every Pokemon that was available at the time. No exceptions.

Now you can only transfer certain Pokemon. Because this time it looks like the data for the missing Pokemon won't even be present.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In Diamond and Pearl you can transfer the rest of the missing Pokemon by using the Game Boy Advance slot on the original DS line. And then you keep them. That's really it. You can get every Pokemon that was available at the time. No exceptions.

Now you can only transfer certain Pokemon. Because this time it looks like the data for the missing Pokemon won't even be present.
But isn't the draw of a new Pokemon game to play a curated adventure by Gamefreak and discover all the new Pokemon whilst checking out some old faves? Why would I want to buy a new Pokemon game to use a load of old pokemon from old games?

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god you keep just ignoring the problem.
I am not ignoring shit. There are people harassing Masuda, and that's not good, but hashtag spam is not harassment, it's not like they are spamming him with a hashtag telling him to leave Game Freak or something. People are just making themselves heard. The majority of the replies are just hashtag spam, not harassment, they far outweigh the harassment in numbers.
His statement said, "I've read all your comments" and even still reaffirmed the decision. To continue to barrage him with the same comments or worse after getting an official and definitive response is harassment if you ask me. It's basically refusing to take no for an answer and continuing to drum up negativity around anything he does in the future unless you get your way.
It was a non comment that disregarded people's grievances and acted like it was no big deal.
And no shit people aren't taking no for an answer, it's a bad decision and people aren't going to roll over.
Call it whatever you want, doesn't change the fact he's being harrased by entitled manbabies spamming his twitter. I'm sure he'll take your protests very seriously after seeing shitposts like these:

Again, give me a break. Harrasing people on Twitter is not a productive way of giving criticism.

If that's the worst you can cherry pick out of that tweet thread you aren't doing a very good job.

Fans are tired of being ignored by him, so they are making it so they can't be ignored, hashtag spam is not inherently harassment.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Im not sure what is hard to understand. You could use any and all Pokémon species before. Now you cant.

But isn't the draw of a new Pokemon game to play a curated adventure by Gamefreak and discover all the new Pokemon whilst checking out some old faves? Why would I want to buy a new Pokemon game to use a load of old pokemon from old games?
Who gets to decide what the old favourites are?

Because some people have an attachment to their Pokémon. Game Freak themselves stated this during the Pokemon Conference this year during the Home announcement.

This isnt an either/or thing. You can want both things. They supported both things till now.

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Did I say that you had to? You can choose to ignore all that if you so care. The draw was to explore a new world and experience the story while building up a team of Pokemon you want. What if someone doesn't like the new ones and want to use the old ones? They could do so before. What if someone only wants to use new ones? They could choose to do so. There were options and there wasn't a drawback. So even if you don't personally care, others do. And considering that Game Freak established Pokemon Bank in the first place, it meant that even they thought differently than what you posted.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Been looking to ask questions of the local community literally for years but wanting to stay out of the hot button issue.

There's no way I can simply and concisely get the information I need because The Last Game wasn't apparently any good.

Gens 4-7 are my current focus, and I need to know where I can ask and partake in those still active in those separate generations, instead of focusing just on The Latest.

Basically if it sounds like I'm asking you* to put your money where your mouth is and help out a guy who's currently beavering away in the older gens with the tools available in those gens only, then it's because I am.

*You, being the person who might say Gen 4 or Gen 5 was where things peaked.

The fact of the matter is I've consulted Serebii, I've been around game-faqs, I've looked but the best way to get what I need is actively crowd-sourcing the info I need.

An example: I've got a copy of Platinum, pre-owned. It's so weird walking around a past player's copy of the post-game. Quite eerie in fact. The Elite 4 and the Legendaries have been completed. I might want to utilise the game for level grinding and breeding, but instead of looking at DS-era websites, I want to talk to somebody.

I feel like I cannot do that.
Most of the community moves on to the latest games in the franchise for battling and trading purposes, so it's difficult to find people who exclusively play the older games, especially given that the DS-era servers have been taken offline.

That said, many of us have already played the older games and are still familiar with their ins and outs, so we'd be more than happy to talk about whatever with you.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina

As we stray further and further from the plot, it keeps getting lost that the national dex being gone and pokemon themselves are two separate things. The national dex in gen 4 was a post game feature, allowing you to catalogue pokemon that weren't in the regional dex, the mix you were referring too. I don't remember if it was a post game thing in gen 6, but it typically was in every generation that had it. While the national dex being removed as of gen 7 does suck, because it means that pokemon outside of the regional dex don't get new entries, that's not what the problem here is.

The real problem, that is unique to SwSh and let's go, is that the other pokemon are not in the games' data at all. In every other game, even if the pokemon weren't in the regional dex, they were all still in the games data and attainable via trading or transferring. In gen 6 and 7, it was even possible to transfer in any of your own pokemon at any point in the game via Bank. Now, that option does not exist whatsoever, so some unknown number of pokemon people have had for years, going all the way back to ruby and sapphire, the shinies they've collected, the competitive pokemon they've bred and trained, countless hours of effort that have always been able to move from one generation to the next, are stuck in limbo until gamefreak happens to include them in a future game.

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
The problem once again is that the hashtag doesn't fully encapsulate what the real problem is. I don't care much for the National Dex, I care about getting all Pokemon transferable again. But that hashtag caught on so it's hard to use other ones. The closest one is #bringbackallpokemon
An example: I've got a copy of Platinum, pre-owned. It's so weird walking around a past player's copy of the post-game. Quite eerie in fact. The Elite 4 and the Legendaries have been completed. I might want to utilise the game for level grinding and breeding, but instead of looking at DS-era websites, I want to talk to somebody.

I feel like I cannot do that.
I put any Pokemon that I get from a pre-owned game into Pokemon Bank and keep them in a separate box from my captured Pokemon. That way I know that they're not my Pokemon so that I don't release them or change their names (not that I could anyway). I feel bad at the thought of erasing them lol.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am not ignoring shit. There are people harassing Masuda, and that's not good, but hashtag spam is not harassment, it's not like they are spamming him with a hashtag telling him to leave Game Freak or something. People are just making themselves heard. The majority of the replies are just hashtag spam, not harassment, they far outweigh the harassment in numbers.

It was a non comment that disregarded people's grievances and acted like it was no big deal.

If that's the worst you can cherry pick out of that tweet thread you aren't doing a very good job.

Fans are tired of being ignored by him, so they are making it so they can't be ignored, hashtag spam is not inherently harassment.

You can't just say it was a "non-comment" or he is ignoring fans because you didn't like the response. I mean, you can, but it makes you look exactly like what a lot of people are saying about the hashtag spammers.

Hashtag spam after an official and definitive response has been given is harassment. You were heard and a reply was given. You just don't like it. It's no longer about making yourself heard, it's now just turned into malevolent behavior lashing out at a developer who will not change their stance.

Soran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If people want to use their old favorites instead of new mon is not your bussiness tbh. Even so, transfering older pokemon is not as simple, the game do encourage the player to use new pokemons.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017

It ain't cherry picked wiseass. Literally the the most liked reply on that marriage post. I can actually cherry pick some really gross ones if you'd like.

There's a diffence between sporting a hashag on your page and flooding someone's personal Twitter account with vitrol.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it does seem a bit fruitless now that a definitive "no" has basically been given
All other devs that make highly controversial moves in long running franchises are criticized until they step up or fix their problems. If it happens with Bethesda over Fallout 76, I don't see why Gamefreak would be a special case with this. As long as it's criticism posted in official accounts, etc and being about the game, I don't see why this is a problem.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
You can't just say it was a "non-comment" or he is ignoring fans because you didn't like the response. I mean, you can, but it makes you look exactly like what a lot of people are saying about the hashtag spammers.
It was literally a non answer. He said they read the comments and then precoded to just say the same thing they said before that pissed people off in the first place as if they didn't care what fans had to say. Not even a "we'll look into what we can do in future games."

Hashtag spam after an official and definitive response has been given is harassment. You were heard and a reply was given. You just don't like it. It's no longer about making yourself heard, it's now just turned into malevolent behavior lashing out at a developer who will not change their stance.
The hell it is, just because a corporation said no doesn't mean people have to roll over and be good little consumers.

It ain't cherry picked wiseass. Literally the the most liked reply on that marriage post. I can actually cherry pick some really gross ones if you'd like.

There's a diffence between sporting a hashag on your page and flooding someone's personal Twitter account with vitrol.
So the most liked reply isn't even attacking Masuda then?
It's protest, it's supposed to be annoying and inconvenient.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
All other devs that make highly controversial moves in long running franchises are criticized until they step up or fix their problems. If it happens with Bethesda over Fallout 76, I don't see why Gamefreak would be a special case with this. As long as it's criticism posted in official accounts, etc and being about the game, I don't see why this is a problem.

This comparison is strange because Fallout 76 was literally a broken disaster. This Pokemon thing appears to be an intentional choice rather than a flaw no matter how much it irks you. Like, they kind of turned Fallout, a beloved single player RPG, into a multiplayer only bug riddled mess with barely anything to do in the game and attempted to sell microtransactions on top of that.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think expectations are rightfully different with GaaS games.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact. Shinx hasn't been in a regional dex in a decade. In past games this didn't matter since you could still transfer it over since it was in the game. Going foward youre shit out of luck if you like Shinx and it isnt in the regional dex

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone will be do this at launch regardless. The DS games restricted transfers until the credits rolled, while the 3DS games didn't have Bank functionality until months after launch.

The difference is that the older games would eventually open up - old friends could rejoin the party, the expanded Pokedex created new opportunities to catch Pokemon in the new region, new and old strategies could intermingle and supplement each other, the main story could be reattempted with new teams not otherwise possible - all this extended what players could do with the game after the first 30 hours of playtime. SwSh will never do this, nor will any future game in the franchise. There will never be a "complete" Pokemon game again, some team combinations will never again be possible, and the playerbase risks splintering as compatibility becomes needlessly more complex.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was literally a non answer. He said they read the comments and then precoded to just say the same thing they said before that pissed people off in the first place as if they didn't care what fans had to say. Not even a "we'll look into what we can do in future games."

The hell it is, just because a corporation said no doesn't mean people have to roll over and be good little consumers.

So the most liked reply isn't even attacking Masuda then?
It's protest, it's supposed to be annoying and inconvenient.

It was a polite way of saying, I heard you all and thank you for your passion, but we are not changing the new direction that we decided would be the best path forward. Sure, it would be great to have more transparency, but they don't owe that to anyone.

You do not have to be a "good little consumer." Not buying the games is the biggest way to protest the changes. If the product doesn't have what you want, it's really as simple as not buying it.

At least you're admitting that the primary goal of spamming him is to be annoying and cause inconvenience rather than make sure he hears you, which we know he already has. I mean, that sure sounds like harassment to me when you know it won't achieve anything but are just doing it to lash out.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This comparison is strange because Fallout 76 was literally a broken disaster. This Pokemon thing appears to be an intentional choice rather than a flaw no matter how much it irks you.
Does it even matter to fans if it's "intentional" or not (which is even a point of discussion here, as Masuda said they didn't want to do this)? They're selling a 60$ product (20$ more than their last mainline games) and without a full dex coded in for the first time. Franchises and their fans have expectations set in a few things, keeping the Pokémon is the bare minimum to a lot of fans, so they'll be of course disappointed.

When a game can't please its own fans, it gets criticized. Doesn't help they made sure to say several times over the last few years that they would be keeping all Pokémon going forward and promoted/sold services based exactly on this specific feature.

Also worth saying that this is something not unique to SwSh, they said they want to do things this way forever. So yeah, this is basically a protest over a fundamental change for the WHOLE franchise.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
So why are people saying this is a 20 year convention that has been dropped?

Every new generation since Gen II has carried over all of the existing Pokémon from the previous one. With Gen III, some of the older Pokémon were absent for a while when Ruby and Sapphire came out, and since there wasn't compatibility with Gen II or Gen I games, they were unobtainable, for a while, until FR/LG came out. So it ended up, all of the Pokémon were available after all (of course they could be hacked even before the Kanto remakes came out).

Starting with Gen IV there's been direct compatibility with the previous generation, through different mechanisms / apps, all the way til Gen VII, which even included compatibility with Gen I and II through the Virtual Console of the 3DS.

So one thing would be that they told us, you can't bring your older Pokémon, like Piplup or something, but you can still catch a new one, in the new games, or future games. But the technological aspect isn't a problem anymore as it was with Gen III and II, so much that Pokémon Home will be able to bring all the Pokémon we've been collecting from Gen III - VII, but Sword and Shield will only be able to bring in the selection of Pokémon they decide to include in the Galar Regional Dex. There won't be a way to ever bring the cut Pokémon in, they most likely won't even be coded there. That's the first time in 20 years that this happens, a new main Pokémon game that doesn't bring back all the existing Pokémon introduced in previous generations, because they concluded that they can't handle that many Pokémon anymore. And SwSh won't be an isolated case, according to some of the statements they gave, that's the approach the series will take in future releases as well, so basically we can assume each upcoming game will have its own individual roster of Pokémon, limiting the connectivity between those versions to the use of only the Pokémon / attacks / abilities they have in common.

Regional Dexes were a form of limiting the available Pokémon at the beginning of the adventure. You would usually unlock the National Pokédex after entering the Hall of Fame or doing another specific task. As the series progressed, it lost more and more importance, to the point it wasn't even needed to be able to get/transfer in Pokémon that weren't in the Regional Dex of the game. And of course, the lowest point was SM/USUM where there wasn't even a National Pokédex at all (however, all the Pokémon were still able to appear there, via Poké Bank or lots of them being caught there). The National Pokédex was moved to the Pokémon Bank app then.

The National Pokédex is just a way to represent the movement, but the real issue here is that Pokémon non in the Galar Dex (thus, being part only of the National Dex) won't even exist in the new games. And that most likely be the case for every upcoming game in the future.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fun fact. Shinx hasn't been in a regional dex in a decade. In past games this didn't matter since you could still transfer it over since it was in the game. Going foward youre shit out of luck if you like Shinx and it isnt in the regional dex
Everyone will be do this at launch regardless. The DS games restricted transfers until the credits rolled, while the 3DS games didn't have Bank functionality until months after launch.

The difference is that the older games would eventually open up - old friends could rejoin the party, the expanded Pokedex created new opportunities to catch Pokemon in the new region, new and old strategies could intermingle and supplement each other, the main story could be reattempted with new teams not otherwise possible - all this extended what players could do with the game after the first 30 hours of playtime. SwSh will never do this, nor will any future game in the franchise. There will never be a "complete" Pokemon game again, some team combinations will never again be possible, and the playerbase risks splintering as compatibility becomes needlessly more complex.

Look, my overall thing is that:

1) I do get it, a precendent was set, people have attachments to old pokemon, it's a disappointment and I get it. I know you guys probably won't agree it's the same thing, but when MGS5 was being announced and it didn't have David Hayter (at the time was a huge MGS fan and still am but not as much) I was raging, I was telling everybody I wouldn't buy the game, that MGS is dead to me yada yada. Gameplay footage came out and you could tag enemies, I was saying they ruined the game, they made it like Far Cry 3. Anyway by the time the game had come out I had gotten over it and actually really enjoyed it for what it was.

2) It cannot be that the only enjoyment you get from these games is the old content, you're shooting yourself in the foot because I'm sure you'll all actually enjoy this game despite being disappointed.

By all means be disappointed and voice your concerns, but I think it's getting out of hand now, and I think a lot of you will end up getting this game anyway and you'll enjoy it like I enjoyed MGS5. The message has been received, now start thinking about what the game is rather than what the game isn't or else you're going to make things worse for yourself.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
It was a polite way of saying, I heard you all and thank you for your passion, but we are not changing the new direction that we decided would be the best path forward. Sure, it would be great to have more transparency, but they don't owe that to anyone.
And fans are rightfully upset with this direction, it's not hard to understand this. Their reply doesn't actually address any of the issues, it doesn't try to sway anybody, it doesn't try to put people's fears to rest, the comment is just "We're doing it and we don't care what you have to say, but the Pokemon you want might be in a future game some time, maybe. But all the Pokemon still won't be in that game anyways."

You do not have to be a "good little consumer." Not buying the games is the biggest way to protest the changes. If the product doesn't have what you want, it's really as simple as not buying it.
Pokemon is practically immune to this shit, most people won't even know about this going into the game and many don't care. Noise needs to be made.

At least you're admitting that the primary goal of spamming him is to be annoying and cause inconvenience rather than make sure he hears you, which we know he already has. I mean, that sure sounds like harassment to me when you know it won't achieve anything but are just doing it to lash out.
Or you can just read the actual post instead of making shit up. Protest is supposed to be annoying and inconvenient because it shows the powers at be how serious you are and is a way to attempt to force change. Not letting up and having your voice heard in as many avenues as possible is how you effectively protest.
So harrasment? My guy...

source.gif
Hey, maybe read up on protests, they have to be annoying and inconvenient to work. It's not harassment.
They made a decision and consumers don't agree with it and are doing everything in their power to be heard, deal with it.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I'm done with responding to you, dude. You see this as some protest for a good cause against some powerful force or whatever, but all you're doing is being horribly negative toward a specific individual who chooses to have a big Twitter presence.

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah

1) I do get it, a precendent was set, people have attachments to old pokemon, it's a disappointment and I get it. I know you guys probably won't agree it's the same thing, but when MGS5 was being announced and it didn't have David Hayter (at the time was a huge MGS fan and still am but not as much) I was raging, I was telling everybody I wouldn't buy the game, that MGS is dead to me yada yada. Gameplay footage came out and you could tag enemies, I was saying they ruined the game, they made it like Far Cry 3. Anyway by the time the game had come out I had gotten over it and actually really enjoyed it for what it was.

2) It cannot be that the only enjoyment you get from these games is the old content, you're shooting yourself in the foot because I'm sure you'll all actually enjoy this game despite being disappointed.

By all means be disappointed and voice your concerns, but I think it's getting out of hand now, and I think a lot of you will end up getting this game anyway and you'll enjoy it like I enjoyed MGS5. The message has been received, now start thinking about what the game is rather than what the game isn't or else you're going to make things worse for yourself.
1) Except that David Hayter being cut wasn't the only problem. The game had loads of problems that at times many criticized it as unfinished. So even if you got over your anger of Snake's new VA, there were many who to this day lament the state of MGSV. Because to them it feels unfulfilled.

2) Cool. Maybe you should stop telling people to get over things that don't really affect you personally because the moment you asked that question you were almost ignoring the point of why the transfer, something Game Freak implemented in the first place, existed at all. And why Pokemon Home exists. By all means buy the game and enjoy it! No one is stopping you and anyone who says otherwise has no right to say so. Play it! Have fun with it!

But let me be upset. And if it bothers you that I'm upset at this direction they're taking, don't be. Because you'll still be able to purchase the game and enjoy it for what it is: a new Pokemon game.

Anyways seeing as this conversation is going nowhere, I'll stop responding.

EDIT: Which apparently is something that everyone else is doing lol!

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Have you protesters found his home address yet?
Oh boy, now we're back to equating this whole thing to gross shit. If you can't see the difference between hashtag spam and fucking doxxing or what ever you're trying to imply there then I don't know what to say.
Just skip to the part where you say it's the same as gamergate and get it over with.

Soran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

1)How having a different voice actor is comparable to axing a feature that always has been in the games?

2) Catching ALL the pokemons has been in the core of the franchise forever. Is not the only enjoyment we get but is important.

Edit: Is also weird that you come here to tell us how to enjoy the franchise when you have skipped the last three generations. Plus cutting the national dex is the culmination of GF trend of cutting features after features for the last ten years.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Does it even matter to fans if it's "intentional" or not (which is even a point of discussion here, as Masuda said they didn't want to do this)? They're selling a 60$ product (20$ more than their last mainline games) and without a full dex coded in for the first time. Franchises and their fans have expectations set in a few things, keeping the Pokémon is the bare minimum to a lot of fans, so they'll be of course disappointed.

When a game can't please its own fans, it gets criticized. Doesn't help they made sure to say several times over the last few years that they would be keeping all Pokémon going forward and promoted/sold services based exactly on this specific feature.

Also worth saying that this is something not unique to SwSh, they said they want to do things this way forever. So yeah, this is basically a protest over a fundamental change for the WHOLE franchise.

Ive been through this kind of event many times in the past.
When CS Source came out it split the community so some of us just continued to play 1.6 because it was more fun (and less broken at the time) but official tournaments just ran the new game instead (which is also true of the next 2 examples). Starcraft 2 came out and Brood War just felt better to a lot of us for multiplayer. Smash bros Brawl came out and the developer basically doubled down on a lot of things that split the community thus a lot of people continued playing the older version. These are all games people dedicate years of their lives into and there were a lot of arguments and petty infighting, but never much in the way of protests or going after the developers. Zelda meant as much as a single player game to me as smash/cs did for multiplayer and BOTW isn't a direction I enjoy Zelda taking either, but I understand why people do like it and thus its just not for me anymore and there's not much I can do.

The whole "its 20 dollars more with less content" argument pops up often and its dishonest as fuck. Its not the most impressive game graphically, but its still a step up in development from the 3ds games. Having less Pokemon available in post-game does not and will not ever equate to "less content". The next expected argument is often "but they recycle models/assets".... which is also nonsense because they're still adding presumably close to 100 new Pokemon and said models were made with the fidelity in mind to be able to compliment the new ones.

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I don't think we're getting a demo for Sword and Shield. I don't think we got one for Let's Go either if I remember correctly.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
During the story most people use new Pokemon for sure, but the post-game challenges, multiplayer, and competitive scene people will use Pokemon regardless of what generation they're from.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Oh boy, now we're back to equating this whole thing to gross shit. If you can't see the difference between hashtag spam and fucking doxxing or what ever you're trying to imply there then I don't know what to say.
Just skip to the part where you say it's the same as gamergate and get it over with.
Whoosh.

Harrasing people on their Twitter is gross shit. Call a spade a spade and get over it. Maybe go actually read all the replies on that twitter post and you might feel a little empathetic.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ive been through this kind of event many times in the past.
When CS Source came out it split the community so some of us just continued to play 1.6 because it was more fun (and less broken at the time) but official tournaments just ran the new game instead (which is also true of the next 2 examples). Starcraft 2 came out and Brood War just felt better to a lot of us for multiplayer. Smash bros Brawl came out and the developer basically doubled down on a lot of things that split the community thus a lot of people continued playing the older version. These are all games people dedicate years of their lives into and there were a lot of arguments and petty infighting, but never much in the way of protests or going after the developers. Zelda meant as much as a single player game to me as smash/cs did for multiplayer and BOTW isn't a direction I enjoy Zelda taking either, but I understand why people do like it and thus its just not for me anymore and there's not much I can do.

The whole "its 20 dollars more with less content" argument pops up often and its dishonest as fuck. Its not the most impressive game graphically, but its still a step up in development from the 3ds games. Having less Pokemon available in post-game does not and will not ever equate to "less content". The next expected argument is often "but they recycle models/assets".... which is also nonsense because they're still adding presumably close to 100 new Pokemon and said models were made with the fidelity in mind to be able to compliment the new ones.

I mean, I'm not posting anything on their twitter accounts. Basically only discussed stuff in specific threads about this. I also get disappointed in games all the time, I don't like BOTW, hate Smash Ultimate, etc, so I'm used to this feeling of getting alienated by franchises I like. I just don't think posting things like "Bring back all Pokémon" on Pokémon Official Accounts is wrong and "needs to stop", they made the basically only thing that could annoy a significant part of the Pokémon fanbase, so yeah, they get criticized. I don't like the thing with posting the trees stuff because I feel like it takes the conversation to another place and it generally lowers the level of discourse, but it feels like some people are just trying to shut up the whole conversation implying any kind of dex criticism is "harassment".

And no, I don't think it's dishonest. I don't care about graphics, I just wanted all Pokémon and a RPG to play. So it feels like I'm paying more and getting less of what I want, I would be annoyed even if the graphics were much better (and I don't even think the current ones are bad at all, I defended them in previous threads, but they don't "justify" cutting hundreds of Pokémon).

Status
Not open for further replies.