• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
Not true.
Gamefreak does, since they've apparently felt the need to create tons of extra animations solely for the feature over other more prominent aspects
*shrugs*
That's not exactly true. Masuda did mention animations as a factor, but he put more emphasis on game balance and how he felt putting in all the Pokémon would eventually become unsustainable.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
where's my Ultra Beast based on John Carpenter's the Thing

latest

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Someone managed to discover that some of Hop's animations are directly recycled from Hau.

It's one of those things that I would have missed unless someone pointed it out.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Someone managed to discover that some of Hop's animations are directly recycled from Hau.

It's one of those things that I would have missed unless someone pointed it out.

Pokémon fans: "Why don't they just recycle all models from past games?!?"

Also Pokemon fans: "Wtf they're recycling animations???"

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018

What's your point?

They're recycling animations AND cutting a shitload of content anyway. That's the exact problem people have with this game.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Unbelievale.

I´ll bite. The sole reason why everyone is angered at them recycling models and animations, is because they lied and said that the sheer amount of high quality animations made it impossible to add all the Pokemon.

Where's the quality? Where's the new animation?

If all the Pokemon were here, no one would be complaining about these, in fact I most fans probably expected it.

But hey, keep arguing in bad faith, you do you.

What's your point?

They're recycling animations AND cutting a shitload of content anyway. That's the exact problem people have with this game.

Exactly this.

But I guess "Just you wait for camping animations!" is all we're going to get.

The fabled, Pixar tier, Camping animations. Any minute now.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
What's your point?

Every game recycles assets from previous titles, and yet all these games still have their deadlines to meet and their own development struggles. It's not different with Pokémon, which tends to work on a much tighter schedule.
I expect this to be common knowledge in a place such as Era.
Also, we don't know how much content the game has so until then, this narrative that the game is completely barren because it won't have all Pokemon continues to be bullshit.

Unbelievale.

I´ll bite. The sole reason why everyone is angered at them recycling models and animations, is because they lied and said that the sheer amount of high quality animations made it impossible to add all the Pokemon.

If all the Pokemon were here, no one would be complaining about these, in fact I most fans probably expected it.

Dude, you were the one who had a thread completely backfire on you because you were trying to claim Mew was suddenly a $50 DLC on Sword/Shield with nothing to sustain that claim. I'm not the one who's been arguing in bad faith.

People have been complaining about animations in Pokemon since the game was announced, long before anyone knew not all Pokemon would be in.
But here's the thing; no dev team will ever redo every single animation in their game unless they absolutely have to, and in this case, GF doesn't have to.

It's a flawed logic that recycling Hau's animation is some sort of proof that they're not working on new animations at all.

Last edited:

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Unbelievale.

This is what I don't get. Why do people try to reduce the criticism to "they're just mad about the tree" or "they're just mad about wingull" or "just double kick" or whatever else. It's all of that stuff put together but people act like we're only upset about what we're talking about at the time. I don't even care about Hop's animation being the same, my main issue is the move animations and the fact that no Pokemon have interesting idle animations.

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I wonder if the wild area's shake up + this being Gamefreak's 2nd big HD game (and probably much higher budget than Lets Go) is whats biting them in the ass here.

I understand that the Pokdex is gonna just keep growing, but I cant help but wonder if Nintendo / TPC are just not managing these games with reasonable resources here, I imagine making a game on this level is hell when all you got is gamefreak + creatures + some contractors (what are the numbers for those again?)

I got a lot of issues with Dexit, but I can't help but wonder if its more a window into a bigger issue here.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017

Its almost like people expect more when the excuse given in axing Pokemon from the game is due to the animations being high quality only to find out theyre doing the exact thing they said isnt possible due to the former.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
This is what I don't get. Why do people try to reduce the criticism to "they're just mad about the tree" or "they're just mad about wingull" or "just double kick" or whatever else. It's all of that stuff put together but people act like we're only upset about what we're talking about at the time. I don't even care about Hop's animation being the same, my main issue is the move animations and the fact that no Pokemon have interesting idle animations.

"You just have 3 gifs!"

Well GF sure is giving us a lot to work with with each trailer, aren't they? It's almost as if the game is actually cutting corners left and right to rush this game.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
What's your point?

This. If the cut content came with improved models & animations (like Game Freak said they'd do), I'd be perfectly fine with the losses. But so far, we've seen little change that justifies the loss of the National Dex, Mega Evolutions, Z-Moves, & whatever else may end up being removed.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Every game recycles assets from previous titles, and yet all these games still have their deadlines to meet and their own development struggles. It's not different with Pokémon, which tends to work on a much tighter schedule.
Also, we don't know how much content the game has so until then, this narrative that the game is completely barren because it won't have all Pokemon continues to be bullshit.
And its complete bullshit for you to assume that this game will have more content than the previous entries. They can't even be bothered to give us all of the Pokemon or make new animations for Hop, do you honestly expect them to put in more than the bare minimum effort to make postgame content?

Their excuse for Dexit was "quality" and yet they're still cutting as many corners as possible. It's pathetic.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
And its complete bullshit for you to assume that this game will have more content than the previous entries. They can't even be bothered to give us all of the Pokemon or make new animations for Hop, do you honestly expect them to put in more than the bare minimum effort to make postgame content?

Their excuse for Dexit was "quality" and yet they're still cutting as many corners as possible. It's pathetic.
Even without Dexit, there's absolutely zero reason to expect a meaningful post game from GameFreak just from their latest entries alone. That also doesn't even account for how GF generally looks down on their playerbase by thinking they're too dumb to play this game in the first place.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Even without Dexit, there's absolutely zero reason to expect a meaningful post game from GameFreak just from their latest entries alone. That also doesn't even account for how GF generally looks down on their playerbase by thinking they're too dumb to play this game in the first place.
Exactly. These games are going to be barren in terms of content and they're deleting the National Dex on top of that.

And what does Gamefreak have to show for it? Enlarged Pokemon models with little clouds on top of them? It's total bullshit no matter how you look at it.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017

No one would have even noticed this if Game Freak didn't try to use animations as an excuse for cutting Pokémon. But they did, so now every single bit of animation in Sword and Shield is going to be nitpicked to hell and back. Game Freak made their bed, and now they get to lie in it.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not assuming anything. I can only speak for what I have actually seen, and what I haven't seen does not indicate whether something is there or not.
You're the one saying they have made no new animations for Hop, when all you have seen is a single recycled animation.

No one would have even noticed this if Game Freak didn't try to use animations as an excuse for cutting Pokémon. But they did, so now every single bit of animation in Sword and Shield is going to be nitpicked to hell and back. Game Freak made their bed, and now they get to lie in it.
Sure, but are people actually taking new animations into account or are they just reposting what supports their negative narrative?
Because we have seen new animations for characters, obviously, and even for Pokemon.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I wonder if the wild area's shake up + this being Gamefreak's 2nd big HD game (and probably much higher budget than Lets Go) is whats biting them in the ass here.

I understand that the Pokdex is gonna just keep growing, but I cant help but wonder if Nintendo / TPC are just not managing these games with reasonable resources here, I imagine making a game on this level is hell when all you got is gamefreak + creatures + some contractors (what are the numbers for those again?)

I got a lot of issues with Dexit, but I can't help but wonder if its more a window into a bigger issue here.
With the constant cycling of features and cutting of post-game content over the years, yeah, I think there is a bigger issue.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. These games are going to be barren in terms of content and they're deleting the National Dex on top of that.

And what does Gamefreak have to show for it? Enlarged Pokemon models with little clouds on top of them? It's total bullshit no matter how you look at it.
Wait for Camping animations

cDTl3nb.jpg

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Dude, you were the one who had a thread completely backfire on you because you were trying to claim Mew was suddenly a $50 DLC on Sword/Shield with nothing to sustain that claim. I'm not the one who's been arguing in bad faith.

People have been complaining about animations in Pokemon since the game was announced, long before anyone knew not all Pokemon would be in.
But here's the thing; no dev team will ever redo every single animation in their game unless they absolutely have to, and in this case, GF doesn't have to.

It's a flawed logic that recycling Hau's animation is some sort of proof that they're not working on new animations at all.

I'm pretty sure the staff post said no ad hominem.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

Resetera, Youtube Comments, Reddit etc are a vacant bed they likely do not care about and I would not blame them for having a laugh.
The nasty shit like harassment on the other hand im assuming does effect them, and makes their fans look like entitled manbabies.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I'm not assuming anything. I can only speak for what I have actually seen, and what I haven't seen does not indicate whether something is there or not.
We've already seen X&Y and both Sun and Moon and their remake wind up with bare minimum in extra content. That alone strongly indicates that Sword and Shield are getting jack shit in terms of post game, and believing otherwise is downright illogical at this point.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I am pretty sure you directly said I was arguing in bad faith.

And I backed up why. Your argument was a false equivalence and I pointed out exactly why.

Now your argument is "You had a threadbackfire on you!" to try and diminish my argument. That's textbook ad hominem

Ad hominem: a fallacious argumentative strategy whereby genuine discussion of the topic at hand is avoided by instead attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, or persons associated with the argument, rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
The nasty shit like harassment on the other hand im assuming does effect them, and makes their fans look like entitled manbabies.
My girlfriend was called a fat landwhale, told she needed to go on a diet, and other stuff on Twitter for saying she didn't like Alcremie. But, y'know, only people who want the national dex back are "harassing." The difference is I don't make conversations about this constantly to make the other side look bad.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
We've already seen X&Y and both Sun and Moon and their remake wind up with bare minimum in extra content. That alone strongly indicates that Sword and Shield are getting jack shit in terms of post game, and believing otherwise is downright illogical at this point.
Why exactly are you making that argument on the concept that only post-game content counts?
It's the same issue with all the claims that the games are lacking content because it has fewer Pokemon than previous games. As if only Pokemon were considered content.
That ain't it. We don't know the potential of the overall content of this game until they actually show it. I've said this before, it's fine to be skeptical. It's dishonest to claim it as fact.

And I backed up why. Your argument was a false equivalence and I pointed out exactly why.

Now your argument is "You had a threadbackfire on you!" to try and diminish my argument. That's textbook ad hominem
Nah, I did not try to diminish your argument, I was merely defending myself from your initial claim that I was arguing in bad faith after saying nothing that actually proved it was false equivalency. You're either fine with content recycling or you're not. The claim that people would be fine with it is bollocks, because people have been complaining about recycling animations for quite a few years, even when the games had aaaall the Pokemon. You only need to have been here for those threads to know it's not as you claimed.
But you seemed to have stopped reading my post halfway through, since you haven't responded to my arguments, so I don't know if this is worth anything.

Last edited:

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned - Dismissive behavior towards harassment
My girlfriend was called a fat landwhale, told she needed to go on a diet, and other stuff on Twitter for saying she didn't like Alcremie. But, y'know, only people who want the national dex back are "harassing." The difference is I don't make conversations about this constantly to make the other side look bad.

"both sides"

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Why exactly are you making that argument on the concept that only post-game content counts?
It's the same issue with all the claims that the games are lacking content because it has fewer Pokemon than previous games. As if only Pokemon were considered content.
That ain't it. We don't know the potential of the overall content of this game until they actually show it. I've said this before, it's fine to be skeptical. It's dishonest to claim it as fact.
So what kind of "overall content" are you even describing here? It almost certainly won't have much of a post-game and it wont even have all of the Pokemon, what kind of content could possible make up for that?

Your entire argument hinges on "well I dunno, maybe they won't fuck up this time" which is nothing more than wishful thinking and has zero evidence whatsoever to support it.

Nov 1, 2017
I don't get why people can't simply wait to play this (apparently perfect) game and just not try to stir shit in here unprovoked. Aren't there other places to praise this masterpiece?

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I would have a lot more confidence in Gamefreak's explanation for cutting Pokemon if they had a history of surprising me with their games' content and presentation.

They don't.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but are people actually taking new animations into account or are they just reposting what supports their negative narrative?
Because we have seen new animations for characters, obviously, and even for Pokemon.
So far we've seen evidence for one, maybe two, new animations per Pokémon. Everything else for the old Pokémon has been reused from past games. If they want to use animations as an excuse, then they should start actually showing some new and/or better animations for the old Pokémon.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Your entire argument hinges on "well I dunno, maybe they won't fuck up this time" which is nothing more than wishful thinking and has zero evidence whatsoever to support it.

This is where I was at for years with this series with backwards decisions and removed content/features that never made a return. If some people are fine with gutted content and now Pokemon, that's on them. Keep throwing your money at GF. But all these "just praise this game and be hyped for it" comments while expecting disappointed people not to criticize these decisions is annoying as fuck.

Oct 26, 2017
I would have a lot more confidence in Gamefreak's explanation for cutting Pokemon if they had a history of surprising me with their games' content and presentation.

They don't.

That's where I stand too. The fact that they're lowering the bar even further, and the amount of scrutiny leading to people finding recycled content, should be telling. Instead, People really are stretching to defend Pokemon's rather stupid moves.

No one would have had an issue with recycled animations/models if it meant that the game as a whole had tons of quality. Instead, Game Freak is trying to have their cake and eat it too by intentionally lowering the standards (and doing so ever since Gen VI), in addition to lessening the amount of work.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Downplaying harrasment when it suits his argument. I´m sorry about your GF BTW, even though I like Alcremie
I mean, it's cool, she thought it was hilarious that someone would say that over a video game, plus she doesn't have any pictures of herself on Twitter, so she wasn't insulted at all. I just don't like people acting like every Game Freak defender is some sort of saint when it comes to online discussion.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I mean, it's cool, she thought it was hilarious that someone would say that over a video game, plus she doesn't have any pictures of herself on Twitter, so she wasn't insulted at all. I just don't like people acting like every Game Freak defender is some sort of saint when it comes to online discussion.

I do feel like spamming a hashtag on Masuda's personal twitter is too much. But for the Pokémon social media accounts? Go nuts. That's how you voice displeasure. And that and only that gave us the nothing burger response in the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.