• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I do feel like spamming a hashtag on Masuda's personal twitter is too much. But for the Pokémon social media accounts? Go nuts. That's how you voice displeasure. And that and only that gave us the nothing burger response in the OP.
I totally agree. I wish people would stick to doing it on the Pokemon social media accounts. Not only do I definitely think it's pretty disrespectful to do that on unrelated posts on someone's personal Twitters, but it gives people ammo to be like "look, everyone who feels this way is like this."
your response to harassment is "but someone else did it too!"
Tweeting a hashtag and talking bad about a company is not harassment. I am also not saying everyone who doesn't care about the dex is harassing anyone, but certain people are using the few people who have gone too far to put everyone under the same umbrella.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
So what kind of "overall content" are you even describing here? It almost certainly won't have much of a post-game and it wont even have all of the Pokemon, what kind of content could possible make up for that?

Your entire argument hinges on "well I dunno, maybe they won't fuck up this time" which is nothing more than wishful thinking and has zero evidence whatsoever to support it.
My entire argument hinges on: I can't speak about shit I haven't seen. Which is something that isn't too hard to grasp.
I'm not saying the game will or will not have X amount of content. I'm saying it's dishonest to claim either way.
Because here's the problem with what you're saying: all you know is your views on how much content the past two gens had. While that is enough to make you feel skeptical about the amount of content the new games will have, it's not nearly enough to enable you to claim they will lack content.

Because you don't actually know it. You also have zero evidence to support it. So, for starters, it would be great to not have opinions be passed on as facts.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I am pretty sure you directly said I was arguing in bad faith, which is also ad hominem.
No it isn't. You should learn what a term means before employing it.

For clarity's sake:
If X insults Y and then throughly refutes their argument independent of the insult, not argumentum ad hominem

If X throughly refutes Y's argument and then insults them, also not argumentum ad hominem

If X insults Y in a way that is relevant to judging the quality of Y's argument, also not argumentum ad hominem. But X should have to prove the insult applies to Y

If X says Y is wrong because Y is a big fat stupid head, that's argumentum ad hominem

I imagine mods don't want a or b here either, but this is a case of C at worst.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Lol come on. It's perfectly fair to critique what they've shown and discussed about the game. If there's some magical, dramatic, game altering stuff that'll make up for what we're seeing and what's been lost, Game Freak is more than welcome to show it.

But telling people to hold their criticism until the game releases is hilarious. On an enthusiast gaming forum of all places.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
My entire argument hinges on: I can't speak about shit I haven't seen. Which is something that isn't too hard to grasp.
I'm not saying the game will or will not have X amount of content. I'm saying it's dishonest to claim either way.
Because here's the problem with what you're saying: all you know is your views on how much content the past two gens had. While that is enough to make you feel skeptical about the amount of content the new games will have, it's not nearly enough to enable you to claim they will lack content.

Because you don't actually know it. You also have zero evidence to support it. So, for starters, it would be great to not have opinions be passed on as facts.
"Oh, there's a comically low chance that they won't fuck up, so I guess they deserve the benefit of the doubt"

That's what your argument boils down to. Do I really need to explain how ridiculous that is?

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I am in the minority that likes that national dex has been cut, because I look at it everytime and go "man, I will literally never catch them all"

This makes this game feel more manageable.

As for the animations, its not a good look.

Apa504

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol come on. It's perfectly fair to critique what they've shown and discussed about the game. If there's some magical, dramatic game altering stuff that'll make up for what we're seeing, Game Freak is more than welcome to show it.

But telling people to hold their criticism until the game releases is hilarious. On an enthusiast gaming forum of all places.

What ?
Critique all you want, as long as it isnt misinformation or insults, I dont care.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I feel like I am in the minority that likes that national dex has been cut, because I look at it everytime and go "man, I will literally never catch them all"

I honestly wish they'd stop making new pokemon altogether. Havent even got to know the current ones that well.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Catching them all was never easier than in the 3DS Era though, you had the PSS and GTS to do Wonder Trades and Trades and the events covered you with getting any missing Mythical. It needed work, but not more work than say, getting a platinum in a PS4 Game

Oct 25, 2017
Catching them all was never easier than in the 3DS Era though, you had the PSS and GTS to do Wonder Trades and Trades and the events covered you with getting any missing Mythical. It needed work, but not more work than say, getting a platinum in a PS4 Game

I mean, it's true.

I remember spending hours upon hours trying to get a Feebas so I could get a Milotic in the original RSE.

But at least 100-150 is a more manageable number than 700+

I can view each game as "this is basically my stamp/scrapbook" instead of this weird "I have to keep moving everything forward" thing.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
User Warned - Inflammatory Generalization

This is probably the most asinine argument from the defense force by far.

"Isn't it great when games have LESS content for people to enjoy? Sure is a wonderful thing that lots of people are really disappointed."

Apa504

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Oh, there's a comically low chance that they won't fuck up, so I guess they deserve the benefit of the doubt"

That's what your argument boils down to. Do I really need to explain how ridiculous that is?

No, their argument is that is ridiculous to critique a part of the game when we dont know that part of the game.

Absent Breeze

Oct 25, 2017
I would have a lot more confidence in Gamefreak's explanation for cutting Pokemon if they had a history of surprising me with their games' content and presentation.

They don't.

it is funny cause because you could see discontent growing towards GF for their choices over the last few. I mean this thread is from 2017 and can see people didn't have much faith in GF even back then, some users even predicting this backlash lol.

Yeah, it probably has to be a sum of sometimes archaich Japanese dev mentality and wanting to maximize profits on brand alone.

If they do the same shit on the Switch I am pretty sure that game will have a huge backlash.

If they had a track record of providing tons of content recently I think more people would be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt when it came to the things they were cutting.

Oct 26, 2017

Why do you act like completing the national dex was a necessity? You could have just ignored it. I know I didn't start caring about the National Dex until Gen IV and V (especially when B2W2 gave you an incentive to do so).

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017

You do know that there was always a hard limit on how many Pokemon were actually catachable in any given game, right?

Them including/not including the Nat dex doesnt affect how many Pokemon are in the actual encounter tables.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
This is probably the most asinine argument from the defense force by far.

"Isn't it great when games have LESS content for people to enjoy? Sure is a wonderful thing that lots of people are really disappointed."
I think you are being more on the offense(force) rather than the person being defense force. I think ya'll need to chill a bit

Oct 25, 2017
Why do you act like completing the national dex was a necessity? You could have just ignored it. I know I didn't start caring about the National Dex until Gen IV and V (especially when B2W2 gave you an incentive to do so).

Because then there is literally nothing for me in pokemon.

I like collecting the pokemon.

- I don't have interest in competitive battle.
- I don't expect an engaging narrative
- I don't care about the weird gimmick stuff in the games post

The basic mechanics of pokemon have been the same since R/B. The most exciting a pokemon game has been for me was Colesseum and Gale of Darkness because they had a cool distinct world and I liked the "steal pokemon from other trainers mechanic" because that was how you got pokemon. Those games were manageable.

Basically I see this news as the previous games had 700+ collectables, and now it's been reduced to 150.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
it is funny cause because you could see discontent growing towards GF for their choices over the last few. I mean this thread is from 2017 and can see people didn't have much faith in GF even back then, some users even predicting this backlash lol.

This is never going to end. Everyone's just gonna be at each other's throats and then the next game is announced and we'll go back to rinse and repeat.

Brotheeeer, oh brother... 🤡

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Because then there is literally nothing for me in pokemon.

I like collecting the pokemon.

- I don't have interest in competitive battle.
- I don't expect an engaging narrative
- I don't care about the weird gimmick stuff in the games post

The basic mechanics of pokemon have been the same since R/B. The most exciting a pokemon game has been for me was Colesseum and Gale of Darkness because they had a cool distinct world and I liked the "steal pokemon from other trainers mechanic" because that was how you got pokemon. Those games were manageable.

Basically I see this news as the previous games had 700+ collectables, and now it's been reduced to 150.

If Galar has 150 pokémon I'll be legitimately afraid of Game Freak's office being attacked by a crazy fan. It'll have 500+ minimum.

Also, if a game that you only care about the collectables has less collectables, doesn't it make it a worse game than the previous ones?

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
No, but now I can at least attempt to catch all the available pokemon in Sword/Shield.

That's always been possible. It's called completing the regional Dex.

hqdefault.jpg

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
To be honest, we should be expecting more from this game regardless of the National Dex cut. Sword and Shield are $60 games, if you want the complete experience we're stuck shelling out $120. This isn't anything any other game gets away with so I don't see why we shouldn't be at minimum comparing Sword/Shield to any other AAA game regardless of Game Freaks experience. We're not here to fund GFs first attempt at making something, they have the money and could have the resources to get through HD development just fine.

Things only get worse when you take into account the National Dex cut, the Mega Evolutions cut, the Z-moves cut, and the reasons given for those cuts. Game Freak has deserved criticism for a lot of the decisions they've made throughout the series entire existence, but people gave them the benefit of the doubt because managing the roster is a lot of work. GF opened this pandoras box on their own and deserve every "nitpick" that comes their way.

Hero Prinny

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, we should be expecting more from this game regardless of the National Dex cut. Sword and Shield are $60 games, if you want the complete experience we're stuck shelling out $120. This isn't anything any other game gets away with so I don't see why we shouldn't be at minimum comparing Sword/Shield to any other AAA game regardless of Game Freaks experience. We're not here to fund GFs first attempt at making something, they have the money and could have the resources to get through HD development just fine.

Things only get worse when you take into account the National Dex cut, the Mega Evolutions cut, the Z-moves cut, and the reasons given for those cuts. Game Freak has deserved criticism for a lot of the decisions they've made throughout the series entire existence, but people gave them the benefit of the doubt because managing the roster is a lot of work. GF opened this pandoras box on their own and deserve every "nitpick" that comes their way.
Ya the fact that its $60 instead of $40 makes it even worse.

Apa504

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What so hard to understand, the poster only wnats to complete the game, nothing more, nothing less.
If there are 300 Pokemon in the game, you only have to collect the 300 pokemon and thats it, doesnt matter if there are another 1000 out there.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
What so hard to understand, the poster only wnats to complete the game, nothing more, nothing less.
If there are 300 Pokemon in the game, you only have to collect the 300 pokemon and thats it, doesnt matter if there are another 1000 out there.

Well, If a game I like has less content than it's previous entries, content in this case being the Pokémon as that is the only thing that matters for me in this hypothetical situation, I can't see why I'd be happy with it. Just seems like I'll do less of the thing I enjoy.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
Then whats the problem with just completing the regional dex?

Apa504

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, If a game I like has less content than it's previous entries, content in this case being the Pokémon as that is the only thing that matters for me, I can't see why I'd be happy with it. Just seems like I'll do less of the thing I enjoy.

We are not talking about you, we are talking about the other poster preferences.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
But I already know whats your stance on this whole issue.

Well, If a game I like has less content than it's previous entries, content in this case being the Pokémon as that is the only thing that matters for the poster, I can't see why he'd be happy with it. Just seems like he'll do less of the thing he enjoys.

Oct 25, 2017
Gen 7 didn't even have a national dex to finish, I'm pretty sure it didn't even have any indicator of it.

I barely played Sun/Moon.

Here is my tragectory with pokemon

I was super in from RGS (gen 3 is my favorite gen) up till Black and White.

I only beat the elite 4 once in BW2 and stopped playing

I got up to Gym 4 or 5 with XY

I don't think I even did the first trial of Moon

Basically catching the pokemon is the only thing that makes me play these games anymore. I keep getting suckered in by going "oh, that new pokemon looks cool" "aw yeah, team Skull looks awesome"

and then I barely play it.

Apa504

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, If a game I like has less content than it's previous entries, content in this case being the Pokémon as that is the only thing that matters for the poster, I can't see why he'd be happy with it. Just seems like he'll do less of the thing he enjoys.

Ok

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
I barely played Sun/Moon.

Here is my tragectory with pokemon

I was super in from RGS (gen 3 is my favorite gen) up till Black and White.

I only beat the elite 4 once in BW2 and stopped playing

I got up to Gym 4 or 5 with XY

I don't think I even did the first trial of Moon

Basically catching the pokemon is the only thing that makes me play these games anymore. I keep getting suckered in by going "oh, that new pokemon looks cool" "aw yeah, team Skull looks awesome"

and then I barely play it.
I dont see how them axing the nat dex and Pokemon is going to solve your problem since it sounds like you just arent into the series anymore

Like, I completely agree that the first hour or two in Sun and Moon is outright miserable, but that wasn't going to be magically fixed by them axing Pokemon and isnt even caused by the number of Pokemon to begin with

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I recently read the famitsu interview and they actually said all the models were redone for sword and shield which is just mind boggling. We suffered through the horrible performance in the 3DS era for nothing, but what I think is worst is that they created another set of models for Dynamax for each and every pokemon in the region, instead of just scaling the models up. They could've used that time to first complete the transition for every pokemon.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
We are not talking about you, we are talking about the other poster preferences.

I'd prefer if Devil May Crystal had more combos I could pull off, but I'm not going to be happy if Capcom's solution for that is removing a shit ton of moves and combos from DMC6 because "balance"

I loved DmC because I could master it, but I understand why many many many were mad. The promise of unprecedented storytelling in exchange rung as hollow as GF's "High Quality Animations"

I wish we could have both. That'd be ideal.

Pokemon PROMISED to have both when it anounced let's go. Let's Go was supposed to be what the poster is looking for, a simplified short and sweet adventure. While promising a full hardcore game for 2019 with "everything you've come to expect"

I called BS at the time because GF's track record made me suspect that Let's Go was going to be just a test ground to see if they could remove more and more content.

I fucking hate that I was right

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I recently read the famitsu interview and they actually said all the models were redone for sword and shield which is just mind boggling. We suffered through the horrible performance in the 3DS era for nothing, but what I think is worst is that they created another set of models for Dynamax for each and every pokemon in the region, instead of just scaling the models up. They could've used that time to first complete the transition for every pokemon.
Considering that the models so far look basically the same as before, I feel like the supposedly-redone models were for the Dynamax forms (which, like you said, doesn't really make much sense). Gigantiamax forms looking different I can understand, but not Dynamax if they are indeed what was redone.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, drop the reusing human animations as an argument. Especially when we know there is other improved human animations.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
If only i can go back in time just to experience the feeling of excitement i had with pokemon releases before X & Y.

Now i want to be excited but i can't... *sigh*...

Oct 25, 2017
If only i can go back in time just to experience the feeling of excitement i had with pokemon releases before X & Y.

Now i want to be excited but i can't... *sigh*...
Black and white was something else back than I tell ya.
Idk who was in charge, what state of mind they were in when directing them two games but my god plz go back to it

Apa504

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd prefer if Devil May Crystal had more combos I could pull off, but I'm not going to be happy if Capcom's solution for that is removing a shit ton of moves and combos from DMC6 because "balance"

I loved DmC because I could master it, but I understand why many many many were mad. The promise of unprecedented storytelling in exchange rung as hollow as GF's "High Quality Animations"

I wish we could have both. That'd be ideal.

Pokemon PROMISED to have both when it anounced let's go. Let's Go was supposed to be what the poster is looking for, a simplified short and sweet adventure. While promising a full hardcore game for 2019 with "everything you've come to expect"

I called BS at the time because GF's track record made me suspect that Let's Go was going to be just a test ground to see if they could remove more and more content.

I fucking hate that I was right

Its a shame that you were right.

Status
Not open for further replies.