• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Uhh, 3D models are very portable. There's standardized formats that can bake in both the mesh, rigs, and animations — if you need a different format, you just export it to the different format from the source app (Maya, etc) — and yes you could even automate this process with a script to quickly convert thousands of assets. The idea you're suggesting that you have to remake a model from scratch or even re-rig the mesh to get it into a different engine is just bizarre. Like, what do you think happens to the rig and animations in Maya (or whatever app they use to author the assets) when they started working on SwSh? Disappear? No.

No, CPU architecture has nothing to do with models. Again, these are standardized formats -- you write an importer to import 3D assets like you would images, sound files, etc -- you don't reinvent a new 3D asset format every time you make a new engine just like you wouldn't reinvent jpg, png, tga, wav, ogg, mp3, etc.

And for what changes CPU architecture did require (in engine code, mostly), they already had Switch experience with Go P/E — that was supposed to be the transition game.

Maybe they did rebuild the models from scratch, but it would be a creative choice -- it wouldn't be mandated by all these reasons you try to give. And judging by the footage we've seen, I'm still skeptical. Take Gyrados for example -- even the model's topology looks identical. If they rebuilt that model for Switch, why leave in the low poly joints in the whiskers? If they were recreated from scratch, they were recreated to match the old model as close as possible... and I assume Game Freak is smart enough to not waste all that time recreating assets they already have.

boudai

iu

BVi1VRN.png

(can even see that the part where it starts to curl is a bit squished in both the 3DS model and the Switch model, suggesting they're using the same animations that deform the whiskers the same way -- it'd actually be quite a lot more effort to literally recreate the same model and animations from scratch and have them match up so closely instead of naturally having different proportions, topology, and animations)

Either way, the reasons you provide for why they'd have to recreate or re-rig models is nonsense. If all you claim was true, they would have had to redo all the models and animations for Pokemon Go as well.

Hmm.
Era needs a Like button for posts like these.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Uhh, 3D models are very portable. There's standardized formats that can bake in both the mesh, rigs, and animations — if you need a different format, you just export it to the different format from the source app (Maya, etc) — and yes you could even automate this process with a script to quickly convert thousands of assets. The idea you're suggesting that you have to remake a model from scratch or even re-rig the mesh to get it into a different engine is just bizarre. Like, what do you think happens to the rig and animations in Maya (or whatever app they use to author the assets) when they started working on SwSh? Disappear? No.

No, CPU architecture has nothing to do with models. Again, these are standardized formats -- you write an importer to import 3D assets like you would images, sound files, etc -- you don't reinvent a new 3D asset format every time you make a new engine just like you wouldn't reinvent jpg, png, tga, wav, ogg, mp3, etc.

And for what changes CPU architecture did require (in engine code, mostly), they already had Switch experience with Go P/E — that was supposed to be the transition game.

Maybe they did rebuild the models from scratch, but it would be a creative choice -- it wouldn't be mandated by all these reasons you try to give. And judging by the footage we've seen, I'm still skeptical. Take Gyrados for example -- even the model's topology looks identical. If they rebuilt that model for Switch, why leave in the low poly joints in the whiskers? If they were recreated from scratch, they were recreated to match the old model as close as possible... and I assume Game Freak is smart enough to not waste all that time recreating assets they already have.

boudai

iu

BVi1VRN.png

(can even see that the part where it starts to curl is a bit squished in both the 3DS model and the Switch model, suggesting they're using the same animations that deform the whiskers the same way -- it'd actually be quite a lot more effort, an insane amount of work, really, to literally recreate the same model and animations from scratch and have them match up so closely instead of naturally having different proportions, topology, and animations)

Either way, the reasons you provide for why they'd have to recreate or re-rig models is nonsense. If all you claim was true, they would have had to redo all the models and animations for Pokemon Go as well.
Well they had to do it for some reason, I was just speculating as to the possible reason but yes it seems the models are ported over. I'm not disputing that.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

boudai

iu

BVi1VRN.png

(can even see that the part where it starts to curl is a bit squished in both the 3DS model and the Switch model, suggesting they're using the same animations that deform the whiskers the same way -- it'd actually be quite a lot more effort, an insane amount of work, really, to literally recreate the same model and animations from scratch and have them match up so closely instead of naturally having different proportions, topology, and animations)

Hmm.
Great post.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

boudai

iu

BVi1VRN.png

Hmm.

This post.

swedish_chef.jpg

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017

boudai

iu

BVi1VRN.png

Hmm.
GF defense force just got owned hard.

Thank you.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
GF defense force just got owned hard.

Thank you.
Again, I'm not the Defense Force. Again, I hate this decision and am working to change it in a civilised manner.

All I was providing was that in that interview, Ohmori said the models had to be redone. To what extent, we don't know, but if animations had to be rerigged, that takes a lot of time.

Explanation is not defending.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
"defense force owned" is some early console war era Terminology and I hope Flame War Theater do an episode based on Pokemon

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Again, I'm not the Defense Force. Again, I hate this decision and am working to change it in a civilised manner.

All I was providing was that in that interview, Ohmori said the models had to be redone. To what extent, we don't know, but if animations had to be rerigged, that takes a lot of time.

Could it be that Ohmori was stretching the truth? Because nothing that we've seen (which again, is all we can judge the game on) indicates that the models were redone at all.

Vito

Oct 25, 2017

So they redid all the models and they ended up looking like the 3DS ones?

Keep defending them. You are not fooling anyone.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
User warned: derogatory language

Keep defending them. You are not fooling anyone.
I'm sorry for trying to look for the logic and the facts rather than just going

THEY SUCK

Could it be that Ohmori was stretching the truth? Because nothing that we've seen (which again, is all we can judge the game on) indicates that the models were redone at all.
It's possible, but it's also highly unlikely he'd have said it if there wasn't some truth in it.

Last edited:

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Fuck outta here with this shit.
I was making a point. I'm against the decision. I am working as hard as I can using avenues at my disposal to make sure fan voices are heard.

However, despite that, because I'm not angrily shitting on everything, because I'm quashing misinformation and because I'm trying to find the reason behind it and share what the developers say is the reason, I'm getting attacked, called the defense force and so forth.

All because I'm not angrily crapping on everything.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Joe, I know that it's incredibly frustrating when people gang up on you and put words in your mouth. That said you really shouldn't be using a phrase created to insult autistic people.
Apologies. I was not aware of that meaning. I've only known it for the context of people going overboard with anger & complaints. I'd never intentionally do such a thing considering my girlfriend, her brother and so many people close to me are autistic.

I have edited my post accordingly

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Apologies. I was not aware of that meaning. I've only known it for the context of people going overboard with anger & complaints. I'd never intentionally do such a thing considering my girlfriend, her brother and so many people close to me are autistic.

I have edited my post accordingly
Yeah, I figured it was just due to you not knowing the origin of the phrase. Thanks for editing it out.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Facts like saying porting models to another console would be difficult when someone proved you wrong? I don't like that you use "people don't know/understand about this" when you don't know much about 3d modeling or coding for games either, or claiming a interview is "mistranslated" when you aren't fluent in japanese either.

Vito

Oct 25, 2017
Facts like saying porting models to another console would be difficult when someone proved you wrong? I don't like that you use "people don't know/understand about this" when you don't know much about 3d modeling or coding for games either, or claiming a interview is "mistranslated" when you aren't fluent in japanese either.
Beat me to this haha.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I was making a point. I'm against the decision. I am working as hard as I can using avenues at my disposal to make sure fan voices are heard.

However, despite that, because I'm not angrily shitting on everything, because I'm quashing misinformation and because I'm trying to find the reason behind it and share what the developers say is the reason, I'm getting attacked, called the defense force and so forth.

All because I'm not angrily crapping on everything.
Let me lay this out for you:

Yes, regardless of whether or not you are personally happy with the decision, you are actively defending it. Not because you aren't 'angrily crapping on everything', but because the only people bothering to spend hours on end clapping back at every little thing and making up all kinds of scenarios to justify the incongruities in Game Freak's statements are people who are happy with the decision and people with a vested interest, personal or professional, in defending Game Freak from criticism. No one else gives half a shit about the people complaining because they're too busy being excited about the game. Other people's discontent in no way affects them.

You aren't just 'correcting misinformation' you're actively creating farfetched stories from whole cloth, itself misinformation, to prove that misinformation wrong.

Step back. You got better things to be doing.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
There would clearly be something to this otherwise they wouldn't say it if it could be disproved so easily. I have little doubt that there's an element of truth to it. Just because we can't see it yet doesn't mean it doesn't exist

You aren't just 'correcting misinformation' you're actively creating farfetched stories from whole cloth, itself misinformation, to prove that misinformation wrong.
No I'm not

Yiazmat

Oct 25, 2017

boudai

iu

BVi1VRN.png

Hmm.
Misinformation quashed. Bravo!

Reminds me of that one Gaf user who insisted that Turn10 redid all their cars models from scratch for every Forza game, but since they used the same source material, the models always ended up looking exactly the same. LOL

Absent Breeze

Oct 25, 2017

REEEEEEEEEEEE THEY SUCK
One thing that would go a long way towards that is at least presenting it as your take on it rather than saying it as if it is infallible.

There is a massive difference between

Are you an expert in development? Porting to different engines/devices does require existing stuff to get reworked. This is normal.
Which feels like you are presenting a fact to people rather than opinions.

And

I'd imagine it's because porting to different engines/devices sometimes require existing stuff to get reworked. It can be a common hurdle that developers have to work around.
(^Just an example )
If you present your opinions as the speculation that they are it is a lot less frustrating for people who disagree. When they are presented as facts, and people inevitably poke holes in them then it sounds like you're trying to provide excuses for GF rather than give your opinion.

Idk if I explained this clearly myself, but hopefully you can understand why the 1st one would bother people more than the 2nd one.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Step back. You got better things to do.

Yeah, I feel like this would be the best thing to do for Joe.

I've been watching how this situation was unfolding and the man is basically fighting windmills at this point.

The best would be not to engage at all for a while. I could imagine this being hurtful for him since he cares a lot, not only about this issue but Pokémon in general but it seems like it's stressing him way more than it should be.

Take a rest Joe, you don't need to confront everyone you think is wrong. It's really not worth it.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There would clearly be something to this otherwise they wouldn't say it if it could be disproved so easily. I have little doubt that there's an element of truth to it. Just because we can't see it yet doesn't mean it doesn't exist

GF was pretty vague so you don't what they mean when they said stuff like more animations or reworking models.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
He says, after spinning a tale about about 3D models based on nothing but his desire to find some way to justify incongrous statements by Game Freak. A tale that flies in the face of how 3D models work.
Actually it's a

"He says after sharing what was said in an interview by the director of the game and then presents a hypothesis based on logic and facts"
GF was pretty vague so you don't what they mean when they said stuff like more animations or reworking models.
I think this is something that is going to be a circular argument until November when both sides will finally go "Ohhhh that's it"

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Actually it's a

"He says after sharing what was said in an interview by the director of the game and then presents a hypothesis based on logic and facts"
It was based on absolutely 0 fact though. And the only logic involved was the deduction it took to reverse engineer some kinda way to make their statement true.

You literally did what all those videos you keep rightfully castigating have been doing, just for the other side of the argument and you're too close to the situation to see this.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think this is something that is going to be a circular argument until November when both sides will finally go "Ohhhh that's it"
For what we have seen so far it's not the battle and walking animations for Pokemon or npc animations either. It COULD be the camping thing from the leaks and have they said anything about how HM will work? Ride again?

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
No, I'm questioning that article a bit due to contradictory statements. I'm currently awaiting a message back about it.

It was based on absolutely 0 fact though. And the only logic involved was the deduction it took to reverse engineer some kinda way to make their statement true.

You literally did what all those videos you keep rightfully castigating have been doing, just for the other side of the argument and you're too close to the situation to see this.
No it wasn't based on 0 fact. Just because you disagree with it does not make it so.

Soran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, I'm questioning that article a bit due to contradictory statements. I'm currently awaiting a message back about it.

No it wasn't based on 0 fact. Just because you disagree with it does not make it so.
You don't decide if an article is mistranslated or should be questioned whatever it fit your narrative or not.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
You don't decide if an article is mistranslated or should be questioned whatever it fit your narrative or not.
I do when it makes contradictory statements such as stating Team 2 is only Pokémon and then states that Team 2 learns about other platforms.

So yes I can question when things aren't looking right.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Where is the contradiction? other platforms can mean an app for ShSw, maybe a Home app. Or maybe they are porting ShSw to PS4 and XBX One...lol
Now you're being obtuse
That post was entirely speculation and you literally made up reasons that do not exist that the speculation would be true. This behavior is so incredibly hypocritical.
No I didn't. Please refrain from putting words in my mouth

Soran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do when it makes contradictory statements such as stating Team 2 is only Pokémon and then states that Team 2 learns about other platforms.

So yes I can question when things aren't looking right.
Well I didn't knew that, sorry. Trough in that case you also should questioning GF statement about making the models again.

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Honestly, I don't think this lack of national dex is due to low man power, focusing on animations, or anything else like that.

I think it's a business strategy. There's a lot of pokemon and they won't want to scare off new players as they're a priority like always. That and they can add all our old favourites in the third version to boost sales as they never sell as well, as they shouldn't as they're very minimal effort and could easily be DLC.

Its just Gamefreak prioritizing the casuals and new players and dumping on long time fans like always, while wanting to earn more money by holding your faves hostages. These excuses ring hollow with all the information presented.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Well I didn't knew that, sorry. Trough in that case you also should questioning GF statement about making the models again.
I have been, but I have also ben postulating on the possibility of it being accurate, which others seem to be unwilling to even think about the notion

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Honestly, I don't think this lack of national dex is due to low man power, focusing on animations, or anything else like that.

I think it's a business strategy. There's a lot of pokemon and they won't want to scare off new players as they're a priority like always. That and they can add all our old favourites in the third version to boost sales as they never sell as well, as they shouldn't as they're very minimal effort and could easily be DLC.

Its just Gamefreak prioritizing the casuals and new players and dumping on long time fans like always, while wanting to earn more money by holding your faves hostages. These excuses ring hollow with all the information presented.
Yup they can just release a third version 2 years later with the national dex as an incentive for fans to purchase the games.
That's the one I'll be getting. 🤣

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I can see the "Ultra" version of those games having the National Dex(but the original will not be patched) and that being a huge selling point for those games, then people will go "See, GameFreak listens ;)" even if it was their plan from the start.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Now you're being obtuse

No I didn't. Please refrain from putting words in my mouth

Really gonna make me do this, huh?

This makes sense due to different format and perhaps it being hard to port directly across

Even if they were able to convert the models, they would need to re-rig every single animation for every single Pokémon, test it and so forth.

And probably the shift from ARM architecture to the Switch one probably had a factor in.

None of these statements are accurate. None of them are congrous with how transfering 3D models works. All of them were invented by you as justification for why Game Freak's statement could be true. None of them, not a one, drawn from fact.

You. Made. Them. Up.

And speculation is fine, but to turn around and declare that they were based on 'facts and logic' is, frankly, bullshit and you know it.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Really gonna make me do this, huh?

None of these statements are accurate. None of them are congrous with how transfering 3D models works. All of them were invented by you as justification for why Game Freak's statement could be true. None of them, not a one, drawn from fact.

You. Made. Them. Up.

And speculation is fine, but to turn around and declare that they were based on 'facts and logic' is, frankly, bullshit and you know it.

Re-rigging animations when models are updated/upgraded isn't made up.

Status
Not open for further replies.