• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
There will be no spoilers in this thread!

I've been contemplating if I should make this thread or not, but I simply haven't been able to get The Last of Us: Part II out of my head, and I'm sure many of you feel the same way. There's no harm in showing some love, so let's do just that!

I won't be focusing too much on the reactions to the initial leaks, but I feel like I have to mention them.

Naughty Dog, and Neil in particular, recieved a barrage of hate, death threats and anti-semitic remarks because of said leaks. People with a certain angenda took it upon themselves to try and destroy not only the game but the incredible people behind it.

They failed miserably.
giphy.gif

When I finished the game, I honestly didn't know how people were going to react to it, eventhough I personally loved it. The game had me crying and I rarely do.

I've come to notice though that more and more people who've finished the game, share my love for it. I see this both online and especially in the discussions I've had with some of my friends - Naughty Dog succeeded, and man, I really want them to know that... I don't want them to ever get discouraged by the hate.

Almost all of my friends love it, and what's really amazing is that they all love it for different reasons, which really took me by surprise.

It's like Naughty Dog somehow took the controversial ending of the first game and extrapolated that disparity in opinion throughout the entirety of Part II, and I mean that in a good way.

I'm so fucking happy that one of the biggest and most talented studios in the World, made the ballsiest and riskiest moves in a videogame that I've ever fucking seen, only to deliver something truly special and in my opinion, one of the best videogames of all time.

To Neil and all the beautiful Dogs at Naughty Dog, THANK YOU and don't you ever fucking stop! Never compromise your beautiful art!

giphy.gif

(Also Gustavo, man...)
youtu.be

Beyond Desolation

Beyond Desolation · Gustavo Santaolalla The Last of Us Part II (Original Soundtrack) ℗ 2020 Sony Interactive Entertainment, LLC., under exclusive license to ...

Edit:
This is obviously my personal take, the thread is intended for any Naughty Dog game that moved you or that you had immense fun with.

Last edited:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I appreciate them making the Crash Bandicoot and Uncharted series which are absolutely amazing. Jak and TLOU place them as second tier in Sony first party now IMO, but I'm confident they'll have something incredible next gen.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Seems more like Last of us Part 2 appreciation thread which I unfortunately didn't appreciate as much as I wanted to

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
The Last of Us Part 2 had the balls to spit in the face of all of the alt-right manbaby gamers. For that alone, I salute them.

Oct 27, 2017
They made four great Crash games, a great Jak game and five great Uncharted games, at least. The rest I can pass on just fine.

Anyelocp

Mar 28, 2019
they did something different with the story, and they delivered. GOTG. Now go and make a new IP dogs, I'll be there day one.

Deleted member 69573

User requested account closure
Banned
May 17, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
This reads more like a last of part 2 appreciation thread, of which there's already plenty.

In the spirit of the thread title, I'm a fan of their ps1 output mostly. Crash 2 + 3 + CTR, tho Uncharted 1 + 2 are also classics. Their attempts at prestige style television as games I really hate, but glad you seem to like it op.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
ND games have a level of quality only a few developers can match, Uncharted 4 / TLL & TLOU 2 proved this even more. The best developers in the world in my book.

I salute them for always pushing forward, TLOU2 is my absolute GOTG.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I appreciate that they stuck to the philosophy of "Leave no stone unturned" since their inception.

Here's a nice doc on Crash (and the PS).

May 17, 2018
Congrats on working there staff literally into hospital
I also appreciate Naught Dog for grinding people to the point of hospitalization

He was literally caught lying about this, but, you guys do you, I guess.

Anyway, they're my favorite studio, and, I can't believe they topped TLOU. I didn't think it was possible, but, they did it.

Can't wait to see what they can do with PS5.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
He was literally caught lying about this, but, you guys do you, I guess.

Anyway, they're my favorite studio, and, I can't believe they topped TLOU. I didn't think it was possible, but, they did it.

Can't wait to see what they can do with PS5.

Link? And even if it didn't result in the hospitalization of someone the crunch is still indefensible.

CJCW?

Oct 27, 2017
In retrospect their best game is probably Jak 1. Shame where that series went from there. Their Crash games were great, I like most Uncharteds as well. TLOU 1 is one of its generation's best, while the sequel is... simply good.

I do find the cult-like worship of the studio a bit concerning, especially given how they treat their workers. I like their games too, guys, but let's not pretend that they're untouchable.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Why would people just go into a topic that says "appreciation thread" to do the opposite and share articles that are not even related and have been discussed a million times before on their respective topics? lmao

Are we really that bored?

Anyway, my favorite studio ever. After TLOU2 i can't wait to see what's next for them!

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Lost Legacy is still my favorite game of theirs. I just couldn't get into TLoU but do appreciate it.

Edit: Some people just can't help themselves eh.

Last edited:

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Not among my all time favorite studios but The Last of Us Part II has become one of my favorite games of all time. I generally move on from game to game and leave the ones I finish behind me but I can't stop thinking about that game. So many strong scenes, so many great gameplay moments and such an incredible cast. I absolutely adored it.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Oh we can do that on Era?

Anyways, I feel you OP. My favourite studio, my favourite game of all time, and my GotG. Love them.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Why would people just go into a topic that says "appreciation thread" to do the opposite and share articles that are not even related and have been discussed a million times before on their respective topics? lmao

Are we really that bored?

Anyway, my favorite studio ever. After TLOU2 i can't wait to see what's next for them!
Because people actually care about the studio conditions and the effect capitalism has on the lives on the workers whose labor is exploited? ND is one of the most high profile studios that consistently comes up in these discussions just like R* does, just like how CDPR should more often.

Hand-waving the culture Druckmann and Wells let foster just makes it easier for it to fester in the rest of the industry.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France

Link? And even if it didn't result in the hospitalization of someone the crunch is still indefensible.

There's nothing to link to because he deleted the following Tweet that had a picture of an ND dev at a hospital for unrelated health reasons (without consulting her before posting), except he tried to use it as proof of his main tweet while having no other receipts regarding the hospitalization stuff.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing to link to because he deleted the following Tweet that had a picture of an ND dev at a hospital for unrelated health reasons (without consulting her before posting), except he tried to use it as proof of his main tweet while having no other receipts regarding the hospitalization stuff.

Thanks you that makes it a bit better in the grand scheme of things. But doesn't really save face for everything else.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Why am I supposed to appreciate a studio that pretty much forced crunch to the point that some of their employees ended up in the hospital? I loved the Uncharted games and I'm happy they made them, but I'm not giving out praise to a studio that has workplace conditions as fucked up as that.

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Naughty Dog are absolutely legendary and one of the best, if not the best, studios out there. Their releases are legitimately special. No one does it like them. TLOU2 is a masterpiece and thank the beautiful minds behind it for moving the medium in the right direction. UC2, UC4, UCLL, TLOU, and TLOU2 are masterclass video games. Bravo.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States

Ah ok

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Naughty Dog are absolutely legendary and one of the best, if not the best, studios out there. Their releases are legitimately special. No one does it like them. TLOU2 is a masterpiece and thank the beautiful minds behind it for moving the medium in the right direction. UC2, UC4, UCLL, TLOU, and TLOU2 are masterclass video games. Bravo.
Yea those and Jak and Daxter are my favs from them. All incredible.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Congrats on making Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back, the crown jewel of Naughty Dog's library.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Why am I supposed to appreciate a studio that pretty much forced crunch to the point that some of their employees ended up in the hospital? I loved the Uncharted games and I'm happy they made them, but I'm not giving out praise to a studio that has workplace conditions as fucked up as that.
I don't disagree. With CD Projekt Red being home to bigots, Ubisoft to serial abusers and ND working conditions, it's getting hard to dole out praise to the big names.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Then create a topic about all AAA studios and include Naughty Dog in there instead of derailing this one?
Stop backseat modding, if people are unhappy with how a studio treats their workforce and a thread is made lionizing said studio then people are able to post their discontent with said opinion.

And "the effect capitalism has on the lives on the workers whose labor is exploited"? Did you type that with your phone probably assembled in a factory full of badly paid workers, while wearing pieces of clothes probably from people getting like 5 dollars a day, maybe less?
You do realize people make fun of this silly argument every time it comes up, right?

D0W6C05UYAAeb49.jpg

Aug 12, 2019
Naughty Dog has consistently delivered enjoyable titles that look to refine different elements of their brands of third person shooters with big budgets. That said, I don't think I find them as revolutionary as a bunch of people seem to. I think they managed to get the right successes in the right places to get big enough budgets to make really big titles with all the technology in the world thrown at their titles, and at least a couple directors/writers have clearly gotten the chance to make projects they have generally wanted to, but I also know that has come at quite the cost too. I'd like to see them go in a different direction next generation though, 15 years of Uncharted and The Last of Us feels like enough of this era. They successfully transitioned to high class third person shooters once, I'd like to see where they go next and work with a type of game they can maybe do more inherently with.

They've delivered solid 8/10 experiences for a decade, and while they don't always age super gracefully, that's a better track record than most.

MizziPizzi

Feb 14, 2019
Sweden
Because people actually care about the studio conditions and the effect capitalism has on the lives on the workers whose labor is exploited? ND is one of the most high profile studios that consistently comes up in these discussions just like R* does, just like how CDPR should more often.

Hand-waving the culture Druckmann and Wells let foster just makes it easier for it to fester in the rest of the industry.
I'm not saying you're one one of those but there are literally a lot of people that don't actually give a shit and just use it as an excuse to crap on ND..

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying you're one one of those but there are literally a lot of people that don't actually give a shit and just use it as an excuse to crap on ND..
I know you're not, my profile is open you can search my posts about this topic. That said yes, there's people on this site that most deffo just want to shit on the game, same as for manbabies that are mad the game has lesbians, Jews and strong women in it. It doesn't invalidate anything I said though.

edit: here's my last post on it before this thread https://www.resetera.com/threads/th...d-cory-barlog-on-twitter.227377/post-36986389

MizziPizzi

Feb 14, 2019
Sweden
I know you're not, my profile is open you can search my posts about this topic. That said yes, there's people on this site that most deffo just want to shit on the game, same as for manbabies that are mad the game has lesbians, Jews and strong women in it. It doesn't invalidate anything I said though.

edit: here's my last post on it before this thread https://www.resetera.com/threads/th...d-cory-barlog-on-twitter.227377/post-36986389
Of course it doesn't, I'm not saying otherwise! I was just responding to you saying that people care about studio conditions when in fact most of these people actually just thrive on bad publicity for ND.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Regardless of my larger frustrations about TLOU2, I've enjoyed a decent enough number of ND's previous games. There's plenty in TLOU2 that makes me go "Look at this insane attention to detail in this area." But with that comes the reality that they built that on a culture of worker exploitation, reinforced by their "prestigious" reputation and fervent fanbase. Being cognizant of that is important, especially as we see countless studios pull this same bullshit with no accountability. Not everyone that wants to give the finger to ND does it because of some console war or "anti-SJW" bullshit.

Oct 31, 2017
Crash games are fun, but I'd be hard-pressed to say any of them are in the same league as the best of Uncharted and both TLOU games.

Terrific studio with one of the most ambitious video game narratives I've played.

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I'm so sick of so many people on this forum and their over the top stance on labor conditions at some of these US companies. It's impossible to ignore all of you though.

Oh and again, TLOU2 is a MASTERPIECE. And add the original Jak and Daxter to my list of ND masterclass games. Thanks to the poster who reminded me.

Jan 11, 2018
They're pretty damn good at what they do even if its not always my cup of tea. That being said, The Last of Us Part II is one of the best games of the generation and I'm excited to see where they go from here.

MizziPizzi

Feb 14, 2019
Sweden
Regardless of my larger frustrations about TLOU2, I've enjoyed a decent enough number of ND's previous games. There's plenty in TLOU2 that makes me go "Look at this insane attention to detail in this area." But with that comes the reality that they built that on a culture of worker exploitation, reinforced by their "prestigious" reputation and fervent fanbase. Being cognizant of that is important, especially as we see countless studios pull this same bullshit with no accountability. Not everyone that wants to give the finger to ND does it because of some console war or "anti-SJW" bullshit.
Hence the "a lot", I know people genuinely care but there's no denying a large group use the crunch argument for the wrong reasons..