• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hesitant to draw conclusions without knowing more details. I don't want to be disrespectful by misinterpreting or oversimplifying things.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing it's Miguel Parra? The Injustice 2 credits start with an "In Memory" message to him.

J6bwBsD.png

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
If verified, holy fuck. Still, I'd wait for more substantiation before what is essentially accusing a company of killing its employee.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Context is key here

Died during crunch =/= died because of crunch

This person was not working at NRS during that time and had not for several years.

And no, don't paint me as someone who wants devs to slave away all day for these games. I'm not saying crunch is ok at all

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna need more information here. Did he die at his desk from unrelated illness? Did he have a condition that was made worse by super long hours? Or did he die from actual exhaustion?

You can't just lay that out there without more information.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
If verified to be true, that is beyond outragous and it should serve as a call to scrap bad development practices once and for all across the gaming industry. It's reaching a breaking point either way and if the industry wants to survive they need to not treat people like shit.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Hope a journalist reached out to him to confirm if this is true. Someone has to know someone in NetherRealm that knows.

JudgeN

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure the crunch wasn't the cause of his death. But crunch is still terrible and I wish dev's didn't have to do it.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Holy fucking shit if this is true!
I'm at a point where I think that any corporate defenders of crunch deserve a perma ban.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
So do I have to just trust a random tweet or is there any evidence that this guy knows anything and that it's even true at all?

Nov 30, 2018
People die for a lot of reasons. I'd like to see them prove it was because of the crunch.

Also it's some random tweet with zero empathy for the victim. "Oh yeah, Miguel, he died"

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Crunch is very bad and employees in the industry should take a stand against it.

Having said that, do we have an actual cause of death? Is crunch the direct cause, was it linked in anyway? It could very well just be a very unfortunate circumstance. Without anymore information, speculation and outrage seems too soon.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Why the hell was crunch needed for this game? It's an awful practice to begin with, but the game come out in April (not in the busy fall release window that typically involves heavy crunch).

There's still a fixed amount of money invested in the project and they need to finish it within X months. You can't keep delaying it forever. Pretty much every AAA game has crunch.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
How did we not know this until now? This is beyond reprehensible. Dude just dropped this bombshell like it was nothing.

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
Think it's pretty telling that no one here is saying "no way this could be real, companies wouldn't allow it"
Fake or not, we're at the point where game developers just dying due to AAA gaming demands is not surprising

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
A tweet of a guy who wasn't employed at the time claims someone died because of crunch without any facts. Sounds super legit and trustworthy. Sounds like we got about 5% of the total story and jumping the 95% to a conclusion.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
While it seems this person passed away during production of this game, there is no way to know what contributed to their passing. Since the only source is this tweet, we are closing this thread unless the information is verified or corroborated.

Status
Not open for further replies.