• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So why didn't they save the stream for today?

Jiren would've been such a great announcement. Announcing that in a tweet is weak

I assume because it was meant to be revealed in a Vjump issue. That stream was prerecorded and didn't expect to announce

The company has a deal with Vjump and has to wait so they have the first news. But news leaks all the time and Vjump leaks early anyway

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Im being cautious, a Legacy of Goku remake on say Switch could be great, a AAA ARPG like Saga's (but actually good) on PS4 could be a great, but ya know it might be a Mobile game.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Im being cautious, a Legacy of Goku remake on say Switch could be great, a AAA ARPG like Saga's (but actually good) on PS4 could be a great, but ya know it might be a Mobile game.

It won't be a mobile game. They just released Legends a few months ago and Dokkan Battle is still going strong financially despite being almost four years old. It would be foolish to try and dilute the waters with another mobile game to compete with both of them.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I use to love the ones for GBA. Hope this is good whatever it is. Cant get enough Dragon Ball and its universe(s).

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They would have announced this as Xenoverse 3 if it was Xenoverse 3. There's no reason to have a "project title" if it was a sequel to an existing series.

To be fair, Japanese publishers are pretty stupid about things like this and do often pre-announce sequels under "untitled X project" code names. This could absolutely still be Xenoverse 3. It's just best not to EXPECT it to be that, but to never close your mind to the possibility that it MIGHT be.

NewportShort

Jan 14, 2019
Maybe this is an evolution of Xenoverse in a new engine?

Perhaps no more created character and greater focus on each canon characters moveset and tight, responsive gameplay. Hopefully there's still multiplayer/VS outside of story mode

NewportShort

Jan 14, 2019
please somehow tell me Platinum is making this
They usually fuck up licensed games according to the gaming community (I still wanna try transformers and to a lesser degree, TMNT). If Bandai Namco supplies a decent budget we could prolly get a decent game from that recaps one or two sagas. Maybe the whole of Z. It's prolly be a good blend of Super Dragon Ball Z (PS2) and Sagas in terms of gameplay depth and environment.

Spitballing a what-if scenario tho

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They usually fuck up licensed games according to the gaming community (I still wanna try transformers and to a lesser degree, TMNT). If Bandai Namco supplies a decent budget we could prolly get a decent game from that recaps one or two sagas. Maybe the whole of Z. It's prolly be a good blend of Super Dragon Ball Z (PS2) and Sagas in terms of gameplay depth and environment.

Spitballing a what-if scenario tho

TMNT is awful. Absolutely awful. Transformers is a half-decent Bayonetta clone that runs out of ideas quickly and should've been sold for $30 at launch instead of $60. Platinum is definitely not the best developer for a game like this.

NewportShort

Jan 14, 2019
TMNT is awful. Absolutely awful. Transformers is a half-decent Bayonetta clone that runs out of ideas quickly and should've been sold for $30 at launch instead of $60. Platinum is definitely not the best developer for a game like this.
Damn, is it really ? I had some faith.

Out of the Shadows needs way more love than it got. Was a pretty good 4 player Ninja Gaiden like game. Just so much input lag it was more like queuing up moves than them coming off your button press. Still really good once you're used to it tho

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, is it really ? I had some faith.

Out of the Shadows needs way more love than it got. Was a pretty good 4 player Ninja Gaiden like game. Just so much input lag it was more like queuing up moves than them coming off your button press. Still really good once you're used to it tho

It's really a bummer. It should've been a match made in heaven but Platinum very clearly didn't put their best people on the project and Activision didn't give it nearly enough time or funding to let it be good.

By comparison, Transformers is perfectly playable, but you will IMMEDIATELY notice the remnants of the Bayonetta engine at work when you play it, and it really doesn't have much content at all.

NewportShort

Jan 14, 2019
It's really a bummer. It should've been a match made in heaven but Platinum very clearly didn't put their best people on the project and Activision didn't give it nearly enough time or funding to let it be good.

By comparison, Transformers is perfectly playable, but you will IMMEDIATELY notice the remnants of the Bayonetta engine at work when you play it, and it really doesn't have much content at all.
I feel you. The potential was so obviously there for TMNT. From watching gameplay, I feel like it just needed maybe 6-8 more months in the oven with some harsh balancing (animation/systems tweaking) and QA.

Transformers definitely looks like a fun romp. An alternate to Bayo/DMC. Can't say for campaign, but the challenge mode/missions look great, seen some great combo/fight videos.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
It won't happen but I wouldn't mind an actual branching RPG based on Z. Like instead of just having to follow the story we all know, have it so that you can actually, I dunno, let Goku die and have Gohan be the protag, stuff like that. Yeah it's fan fiction but who wants to just play through a story where we all know what happens?

NewportShort

Jan 14, 2019
I really feel like this is an opportunity to solidify a BEST DBZ game. They already know which games players love. The know the entirety of Z is sacred. Xenoverse 1 and 2 were awesome and easily the best of their Dragonball game Renaissance. I think this game could just be an exercise in great gameplay focused on canon characters . Maybe going thru the story of Z, some Super thrown in since it's hot.

I think the action RPG label is just a reminder that even Budokai 3's story mode was an action RPG in that your stats grew and you earned/rearranged special moves .

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Probably didn't want to announce a new Action RPG and steal thunder from Vesperia right as it was re-releasing?

Unlikely. There's very little reason for a new DBZ game announcement to compete with a Tales game's release. It's more that they wanted to announce it in a Japanese forum rather than through a Western event or PR mouthpiece.

arkay

Nov 8, 2017
A game that covers all three Legacy of Goku's story (basically DBZ) with updated visuals and gameplay + Bruce Faulconer's OST is the dream.

Gotta have the "punching boulders to get chicken drumsticks" of course.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Sure I'll take it. Would have preferred a sequel to
latest
however.
Underrated gem.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
There's like a 10% chance this won't suck.

The deck is stacked pretty heavily against it for sure. DBZ action games have had a pretty awful track record.

A turn-based RPG in the vein of Attack of the Saiyans but covering other parts of the mythos would've been vastly better.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
Action RPG has me really interested. Universe 11 has me really uninterested. So breaking even I guess. Please let's just not make Piccolo a defensive type character like they ALWAYS do. Would have preferred an Attack fo the Saiyans spiritual successor though.

Edit: Never mind, that bit was about DBFZ. Now I'm just curious to how they'll fill out his move set given that he had next to no moves and the few he had were incredibly uninteresting visually.

Tsunamo

Oct 28, 2017
Fancy that. That rumor that popped up awhile ago that mentioned this was legitimate, from what I recall they also mentioned it being open world too.

I saw someone on twitter mentioning CC2 being the developers (although they had nothing to back it up so it was probably just speculation) that'd certainly be one heck of developer pick for Dragon Ball in this genre.
Probably didn't want to announce a new Action RPG and steal thunder from Vesperia right as it was re-releasing?
If I had to take a guess it's probably not to take away V-Jump marketing deals (they usually announce new FighterZ characters in their mag, or new Dragon Ball videogame stuff getting the exclusive before we see Western trailers) and there's that event on next week where they probably wanted to announce it which happens not long after V-Jump releases this month.

That's just speculation on my part though.
A game that covers all three Legacy of Goku's story (basically DBZ) with updated visuals and gameplay + Bruce Faulconer's OST is the dream.
Bruce Faulconers OST will sadly never be used in another Videogame officially, him and Funimation parted ways a long time ago. It makes it rather facinating because The Legacy of Goku series is the only Dragon Ball videogames that have had his OST used/adapted and probably ever will.
Sure I'll take it. Would have preferred a sequel to
latest
however.
Funfact about this underrated gem Monolith Soft before being aquired by Nintendo were actually the developers of this. It's such a shame they teased a sequel but it never ended up getting developed.

Last edited:

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Jiren could be a really fun addition. He does actually have some weird shit, like his glaring and the delayed explosions on some of his attacks.

The real question is who is he paired with. UI Goku, Toppo or Kefla are the pbvious go to's.

On the action RPG, it's hard to get excited personally. There are a ton of bad dragonball games, o guarantee this will be different. Hope they'll show it off soon though, there's always the potential for a fantastic game with this franchise.
But probably super armor for days lol

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Is it really going to be just Z or will it be all the super shit that came after it

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this isn't another rerun of the DB story, I'd like to see them tackle something new.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
It would be pretty tough to do an RPG that covers all of Z AND Super, and even if they did, Super would make a terrible framework for an RPG.
Yup ,beerus is a cutscene fight

Freeza has minions but they dont fight goku and vegeta

Tournament

Goku black does not have minions

And the top could work with 70 people to fight

Broly doesnt have minions

Guess freeza foece for broly too

Yeah not very good

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
If only they had recently had a livestream to announce things about Dragon Ball games so that it all wouldn't just be announced through twitter...