• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Allseeingeye

Banned for having an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS4 - 80 million
Switch - 95 million
Xbox One - 45 million
3DS - 80 million

If Switch this successful in its first year, I cannot imagine what would happen when 2DS like cheap iteration releases. Everybody giving low numbers for Switch reminds me of Wii sales prediction articles back in 2006.

You underestimate the power of new iterations, limited editions and new colors. It maybe won't hit 99 price point, but it still will sell like hotcakes for $150.
The ps4 will only sell 12 million more in it's lifetime? It will be close to 80 million after this Dec, I mean, some of these predictions have no basis in logic.

Spawn

Oct 27, 2017
How so?? The x1x is exactly the same as pro a year later with the extra tech a year allows, only more expensive..how have they handled anything "Better"? A $500 Xbox is not selling shit in europe and asia, it would need to sell WW to make up ground, your prediction makes no sense given the market realities.
I believe Xbox 1 X will outsell PS4 Pro just my opinion and The PS4 will continue to outsell Xbox 1 with the Switch outselling everyone.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Some of these numbers defy any kind of logic

PS4 - 120 million - numbers will live above ps1 and below ps2
Xbox1 - 80 million - still tracking above 360...will end with 360 numbers with 8 year gen (which is how long this gen will be)
Switch - 80 million - compression of handheld and console sales will help switch

No,it is not anymore

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 - 80 million
Switch - 95 million
Xbox One - 45 million
3DS - 80 million

If Switch this successful in its first year, I cannot imagine what would happen when 2DS like cheap iteration releases. Everybody giving low numbers for Switch reminds me of Wii sales prediction articles back in 2006.

You underestimate the power of new iterations, limited editions and new colors. It maybe won't hit 99 price point, but it still will sell like hotcakes for $150.
The 3ds had a 2ds and a new 3ds and all the color you could dream of plus a price point the switch will never hit and didn't hit 95 million. And the ps4 is going to hit your prediction this march.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Some of these numbers defy any kind of logic

PS4 - 120 million - numbers will live above ps1 and below ps2
Xbox1 - 80 million - still tracking above 360...will end with 360 numbers with 8 year gen (which is how long this gen will be)
Switch - 80 million - compression of handheld and console sales will help switch

I like these estimates. I came to post something similar.

Switch just needs to keep production up (it's at, what, 7m?) and maybe add some new SKU's that don't rely on NAND memory. Possibly some SKU's with a little more power, just to reach 1080 and not melt during MarioKart.

Xbox is at ~40m presently? I think with the X it will really start to sell well. It'll never touch the PS4, but it'll do well.

Xbox One - 60m
Switch - 60m
PS4 - 110m

Allseeingeye

Banned for having an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I believe Xbox 1 X will outsell PS4 Pro just my opinion and The PS4 will continue to outsell Xbox 1 with the Switch outselling everyone.
World wide that is not even coming close to happen..you really think Europe/ROTW areas are gonna buy xbox one X over pro? US is maybe at best, even that arguable and unlike;y imo. Retail rumours are it's a pretty muted launch.

I like these estimates. I came to post something similar.

Switch just needs to keep production up (it's at, what, 7m?) and maybe add some new SKU's that don't rely on NAND memory. Possibly some SKU's with a little more power, just to reach 1080 and not melt during MarioKart.

Xbox is at ~40m presently? I think with the X it will really start to sell well. It'll never touch the PS4, but it'll do well.

Xbox One - 60m
Switch - 60m
PS4 - 110m
It is a terrible estimate...for this to happen, Xbox would need to start selling as fast or faster than PS4. The numbers are not even plausible.

Caliaztec

Oct 27, 2017
Palm Desert,CA

It's dead Jim, may it sleep easy in the afterlife as it was too beautiful for this world. I'd imagine it's current LTD plus maybe another 100-150k units on shelves to be sold in the US and Japan definitely mostly in Japan. Maybe a strong sell off of remaining units could bring that to 200k more units but doubtful.

This of course is in absolutely zero time frame... could be a couple years to sell off even that many units.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
The ps4 will only sell 12 million more in it's lifetime? It will be close to 80 million after this Dec, I mean, some of these predictions have no basis in logic.

This really depends on PS5 announcement next year. People will hold up their purchase if Sony reveals PS5 soon. I think 12 million more before its eventual demise sounds logical.

I also expect PS5 to be launched in early 2019.

EkStatiC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
I can say with some confidence that the total sales numbers of this gen will be lower of the previous, including WiiU.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
PS4: 112
Switch: 65
XB: 50

There is no way Switch will catch PS4. While nothing is totally impossible, it's extremely unlikely. Sony could stop selling the PS4 for a year and it would still be almost impossible. While the Switch is still hot, I feel like a lot of that is the combination of it's recent highly anticipated releases and the fact that they are actually in stock in many places now. It's gonna cool down.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
PlayStation 4: - 117.5 million
Switch: - 82.25 million
3DS: - 75.2 million
Xbox One: - 47 million (or '984 million zombies killed', as Microsoft would prefer to use)

I am not overly sure how so many folks have put the Xbox One over 50% of total PlayStation 4 hardware sales, given that the gap is definitely over 2:1 nowadays.

In fact, I am not even sure if the Xbox One has passed the 30 million milestone yet!

Has it?

It just doesn't seem likely given its YoY drop virtually every single month in the NPD reports in 2017 thus far, and that general interest in its second biggest market - in the United Kingdom - has been wading ever since the beginning of this year. The growing percentage gap in software disparity in the UK charts backs this trend up even more so.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be interested to hear why everyone is predicting the numbers they are.

What are the primary drivers behind the number?

PS4: Has had a consistent sales curve since launch and has not slowed down since Switch launch. I just find it weird that it is up YoY in US, but I can't tell if this is peak year or 2016. I will say that software output and announcements have kept it thriving.

3DS: Not really into 3DS, but i figured my guess would be respectable

Switch: Definitely a wildcard at the moment. Has had a good surge in its momentum as long as stock is not an issue, but coming in 4 years later to ps4/x1 makes me wonder how it will be when the next gen consoles come. I could see it doing similar to 3DS, but not break 100 million.

XB1: I don't see confidence in the brand itself and no vision to try and get out there as a real competitor to ps4. The constant hype of power/graphics is not bringing new growth and BC shows a focus of past games to mask the weakness of new software to set it apart from its competitors. I mean, it does well in US and UK, but how long can they really sustain their current audience if they can't grow it?

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This really depends on PS5 announcement next year. People will hold up their purchase if Sony reveals PS5 soon. I think 12 million more before its eventual demise sounds logical.

OH man where is this insanity coming from

Why would ps end the Gen? They are making money upon money and a new generation is just a huge risk. On top. Of this there is no new impressive tech like when PS4 was announced to even ship in a new Gen.

2020 is the absolute earliest Gen beginning possible... Probably 2021

This comes from entirely from the "ps must respond to the xb1x, right?" camp

They don't care

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
ps4: 122m
xb1: 48m
switch: 64m (with a proper console format and/or revised and much cheaper version of the handheld then plenty more)

XB1: 70-80 million
PS4: 90-100 million
Switch: 100-110 million

xb1 install base increases by ~160% going forward when sales have drastically slowed this year? Sure...

Did I miss something at Paris Games Week? Did Sony announce they're not making ps4 beyond 2018?

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo 3DS: 80 million.
It is already at 69 million before the Christmas season, which will probably add 3-4 million more sales to its total. I see it selling another 8-7 million in the 2-3 years it will still be in production.

XBX1: 52 million.
I dont see a single reason why Scorpio will become nothing more than niche. Sales will remain being UK-US focused.

PS4: 128 million
I expect 14, 13, 12 million sales for the upcoming three years. Then something like 10 million the year PS5 is released (2021, lets assume). The console will have great post PS5 sales though.

Switch: 125 million when Switch 2 releases.
It has everything the 3DS had, plus a way, waay better consumer reception and product identity. It is already gathering western support, something the 3DS never had. All of these aspects, plus revisions and lower prices will make the Switch the best selling home console produced by Nintendo ever.

Last edited:

Caliaztec

Oct 27, 2017
Palm Desert,CA

I don't really know what to do with this... very doubtful that we will see a PS5 release in EARLY 2019 as in less then 18-20 months from now... really... really?

Last gen was 7-8 years long for Sony and MS, and that was without any secondary 4k models boosting production. To think this gen wouldn't last at least 7-8 years is rediculous... also with the PS4 maintaining momentum of sales of over 15m units a year why the hell would they just cut that off and stop selling a successful product that is market leader by a far margin in order to rush out a new gen I mean cmon dude.

We have games announced that probably won't even release before your supposed Ps5 release date haha.

Mameshiba

Oct 28, 2017
PS4: 119 million

I expect a PS5 release at the end of 2020. 79 million by 3/2018, +14 million the next fy, +11 the following, another +5 million until PS5 launch. Not expecting a lot of sales after the PS5 launch, as i predict a backwards compatible 400$ PS5, with the PS4 price not dropping under 150$.

XBox One: 51 million

Release of the next gen X-Box at the same time as PS5. Average sales per year in the 6-6.5 million range. Negligible amount of new consoles sold after NextBox release due to the budget market in the US beeing covered by used X-Box Ones from upgraders.

3DS: 75 million

Will probably beat the 72 mio prediction for 3/2018 slightly, but drop off completely afterwards with no more games releasing. Has overstayed it's welcome already, so basically no afterlife sales either.

Switch: See below.

LTD is basically impossible to predict, as we have no idea how long the Switch generation will last, and what kind of iterative upgrades they release. They could go for a straight successor after 4 years, or go for a longer lifespan of 6-7 years with 1-2 pro models and an entry level clamshell.
What I am willing to bet is that the peak fiscal year sees >25 million Switches shipped, it will outsell the X-Box One family before december 2019 and that my nintendo rewards will never be worth anything.

Edit: And if they release an oled Switch with Pokemon Joy Cons and a Red/Blue reimaging for the 25th anniversay it will become the best selling console of all time!

Last edited:

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
PS4: Has had a consistent sales curve since launch and has not slowed down since Switch launch. I just find it weird that it is up YoY in US, but I can't tell if this is peak year or 2016. I will say that software output and announcements have kept it thriving.

3DS: Not really into 3DS, but i figured my guess would be respectable

Switch: Definitely a wildcard at the moment. Has had a good surge in its momentum as long as stock is not an issue, but coming in 4 years later to ps4/x1 makes me wonder how it will be when the next gen consoles come. I could see it doing similar to 3DS, but not break 100 million.

XB1: I don't see confidence in the brand itself and no vision to try and get out there as a real competitor to ps4. The constant hype of power/graphics is not bringing new growth and BC shows a focus of past games to mask the weakness of new software to set it apart from its competitors. I mean, it does well in US and UK, but how long can they really sustain their current audience if they can't grow it?

2017 is above 2016 both,US and WW

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
PS4: 115-125 million (depending on its final price point)

Switch: 65 million (I feel like this is the biggest wildcard right now and I'm mostly pulling this out of my ass)

XB1: 50 million

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Switch has sold 2 million units in Japan LTD as of this weeks media create.

Currently worldwide totals for both are
63.3million units sold as of June 30th for PS4
7.63million units sold as of Sept 30th for Switch

I don't see how there's any logical way you can really make your assumption from numbers in any way.

2million units sold in Japan as of this weeks media create.

And 7.63m units worldwide when it was announced September 30th 2017.

It's doing good numbers but it's not even doing close to what the PS4 did first year. Which articles state Sony had shipped over 17.5m units by Nov 3rd 2014 a year after release.

PS4 LTD last announced was back on June 30th 2017 was at 63.3 million. Which means the PS4 averages 15m sales a year since release... something the switch probably will not be able to do by March but we will see how good the holidays are for Nintendo.
Oh wow, it reached 2 mil already, 1 million feels like it happened like a month or 2 ago lol

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
OH man where is this insanity coming from

Why would ps end the Gen? They are making money upon money and a new generation is just a huge risk. On top. Of this there is no new impressive tech like when PS4 was announced to even ship in a new Gen.

2020 is the absolute earliest Gen beginning possible... Probably 2021

This comes from entirely from the "ps must respond to the xb1x, right?" camp

They don't care

This insanity is coming from Michael Pachter, I was quoting him. He believes Sony could go for soft generations, smaller technological gaps between them. With 4k tv adoptions lncreasing, Sony might consider releasing a true 4k PS sooner than expected.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, some predictions in here are quite...adventurous. XD

Well, here are mine:
PS4: 120 million
Xbox One: 50 million
Switch: 70 million

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
My guesses

XB1: ~49 Million
PS4: ~104 Million
Switch: ~77 Million

Reasoning

- I don't see XB1X making any sort of meaningful gains for the platform because of the high price point and the lack of any real system selling SW to show off the advantages of the platform. Couple this with the rapid declines facing the base XB1 platform and extremely poor performance in most territories and emerging markets and I see the decline in sales continuing to drop off steeply as time goes on. I don't think we will see the Xbox platform sell more than 4 million units WW next year with a 35-45% drop for the next year.

- I see PS4 having longer legs in some of the emerging markets it's seen success in. While the sales are modest I could see them continuing well into the start of their new platform's release. I also think solid SW support will ensure continued sales for the platform in most territories leading up to the release of the new platform.

- I think the Switxh will sell extremely well in the major markets provided the SW support for the platform continues to be good. But I don't see the system securing a foothold for Nintendo in many of the emerging markets that are helping to carry PS4 to massive success this gen. As such o feel like this number reflects the amount of sales that major markets can carry for the platform thus gen. That said if Nintendo opts to extend the lifetime of the platform via iterative redesigns then it could easily enjoy a very very long life far beyond what the PS4 will enjoy. Should this happen I could see total sales for the platform reaching 100 million or more.

Last edited:

Caliaztec

Oct 27, 2017
Palm Desert,CA
This insanity is coming from Michael Pachter, I was quoting him. He believes Sony could go for soft generations, smaller technological gaps between them. With 4k tv adoptions lncreasing, Sony might consider releasing a true 4k PS sooner than expected.

You know when you're a kid and you're parents tell you to stay away from the bad man... well that man is Michael Pachter...

Also 4K adoption is only picking up in the US... the EU and Japan, and other Asian territories definitely not so much. When visiting my wife's family in the UK 4K TVs are not well represented at all. With very little being done to promote.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Put me down at 75 million for Switch lifetime. The others I'd need to look into more first to estimate, lol.

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
Well here it goes my wild estimation.

PS4 - 120M (Beast, I think PS5 release in 2019/2020 will cut its legs)
X1 - 60M (Nothing to say, the only foothold it has is the US market)
3DS - 80M (Eventually get there)
Switch 100M (Nice figure Nintty should be proud of)

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Theres far too many unknowns.

PS4 - 120M is a lock. Maybe more depending on major form factor changes later in life (portable PS4)
Switch - 75M for certain if it drops in price like the 3DS did. Which I think it will after some time. If it maintains momentum after Christmas at the same price then it could probably go as high as 90M
X1 - 55M is a lock. I think they may try to end the generation early and battle with pricepoint in the coming years which would notch them upwards maybe +10M

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
ps4-110 million
xb1- 60 million
Switch- 55 million

I think switch sales will die down

ps4: 122m
xb1: 48m
switch: 64m (with a proper console format and/or revised and much cheaper version of the handheld then plenty more)

xb1 install base increases by ~160% going forward when sales have drastically slowed this year? Sure...

Did I miss something at Paris Games Week? Did Sony announce they're not making ps4 beyond 2018?

sales started declining after the one x was announced... hmm wonder why.

Reki

Oct 25, 2017
I predict something like:

PS4: 102m
It could sell more, but PS5 may be launching in 2019.

NSW: 82m
If I remember correctly It's tracking like 3DS in Japan but with better sales in the west, so a slightly higher number than the portable seems reasonable. It also kind of "lost" the Wii train in the first year with the stocks problem, but it could probably sell similarly in the next years. The revisions could also help.

3DS: 74m
The little portable is at the end of its life so it isn't hard to predict it'll end in the 70-80m range. I'm on the lower end because I can't see how could it sell well in 2018 (barring a Detective Pikachu localization, which could move millions of units alone).

XBO: 57m
It's not doing too hot right now and we'll probably never know the final numbers. Scorpio can reinvigorate sales but by how much we'll see.

That's about it. Feel free to quote and laugh at me in the future.

Last edited:

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People really think XbX will outsell pro? How can it when it's pro WW vs only US? I don't even think U.K. Will bother aren't they more price sensitive?

Goose Se7en

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not an analyst, I have no idea and am just posting out my ass but these are my predictions.

PS4 (including PS4 Pro) will sell 115 million lifetime.

Xbox One (Including S and X SKUS) will sell 85 million.

Nintendo Switch will sell 100 million.

Don't care about the Nintendo handheld proper.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
PS4: 110 M
Switch: 77 M
XB1: 62 M

I think that the people predicting Switch beating PS4 are seriously overestimating it.

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
I don't really get many of the estimates here. I think people have been listening to Pachter too much, thinking this generation is somehow nearing its end, whereas it just got a boost, and there is a lot more to come. My predictions

PS4 - 67M => 140M. They are just hitting the halfway house.
Xbone - 30M => 60M. Same
Switch 10M => 100M. Between Wii and DS

That's 300M pretty conservatively, and not counting 3DS, Wii U or Vita.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
PS4: 110m, more if the next console doesn't hit till after 2019.
Switch: 100m, although this is a bit weird to call without knowing if Nintendo do has changed their hardware cycles strategy. As in are they still operating under 5-6 year hardware cycles, or will that change.
XBO+Scorpio: 50m
3DS:75m

Status
Not open for further replies.