• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Part 1

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA

Essentially, this is a translated Iwata Asks that is only published in Japanese. Someone made an effort to translate them to English, so please read them.

EDIT:

Please check the "Threadmarks" to find all of the translated parts for the Iwata Asks article. This thread is updated weekly, because each part takes 1 week or so to translate. There are 6 parts in total.

Last edited:

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Love Iwata, hated this game. Stupid mini game, wii tech demo bullshit covered in clothes of a franchise I loved.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Me and the 20 other people who loved this game are REALLY happy this is coming out!
The game needs to be ported and everything!
A real gem if not exactly what anyone expected out of the game.
e: and with Akitoshi Kawazu?
It's goddamn Xmas today!

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what's wrong with the Crystal Chronicles ports, all we've seen of it had poor frame rate, even though it's also on PS4
Will almost be a year since we heard of it. Did they hire 2 people to port it?

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
Love Iwata, hated this game. Stupid mini game, wii tech demo bullshit covered in clothes of a franchise I loved.

This was my most hyped Wii game before it was fully revealed. I thought we were finally in for some serious Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles RPG action, but what we got...*sigh*. I was so bummed out. I went to try it out at TGS and hardly anyone was waiting in line to play it and after playing it I could understand why. It's a bummer, because Layle as a character is great and he didn't get any kind of love because his game was pretty much hated. Part of me hopes that one day Square Enix will revisit the game and make a real RPG out of it and remove Belle as a character.... Heh, heh.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Not sure what's wrong with the Crystal Chronicles ports, all we've seen of it had poor frame rate, even though it's also on PS4
Will almost be a year since we heard of it. Did they hire 2 people to port it?
My guess would be that they're having a hard time making the online work as it should.
It's a couch coop game heavy on the action.
What other reason would there be for a problem to appear on porting a GC game anyway?

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Kawazu: We're already on the topic so I'm going to say a little something about it (laughing). At the time, he wore this fluorescent blue jacket and had gold chains around his wrist that he would make jingle as he came to the office.

Iwata: To a Ginza office? (laughs)

Kawazu: Yes (laughing). His appearance was a little scary, but the pictures he drew were so cute (laughs). He's also the person that designed the chocobo.

OMG Ishii is a treasure!

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Thanks!
It talks a lot about Makai Toushi SaGa, better known as Final Fantasy Legend in the west.

With patented Kawazu trolling even!
Kawazu: On top of that, it wouldn't be very interesting if you arrived at your stop without having a battle. For that reason, we increased frequency that battles occur. Along the same lines, having stuff constantly happening and things like battles that ended quickly… Basically, while making the game, we kept in mind that it was different than taking your time playing in front of a television.
I guess it's also why you can save anywhere in that game.
My bro finished the game by basically saving after every battle because every battle could wipe you out.
Fun if you like challenges.

Iwata: You've always liked taking on new challenges, haven't you?

Kawazu: No, I think it was just a coincidence. I just happened to be free at the time so…

Nicholas-Fraser-Why-You-Always-Lying-video-640x449.jpg

Iwata: What initially started development for 'FFCC' was Fund Q which was established by former Nintendo president Yamauchi, right?

Kawazu: That's right.

Iwata: I had heard that it started from a conversation between you two where Yamauchi asked if you could make a new way to play using Gamecube and Game Boy Advance connectivity, but…

Kawazu: Nope, Yamauchi didn't say to use the connectivity or anything like that. He said, "Can you make a Final Fantasy that's unlike anything in the series so far with the Gamecube?"

FFCC is truly Kawazu's baby (the company that controlled the IP of the game was 51% owned by him and the rest by Square after all).
I guess anyone expecting a regular FF from the Crystal Chronicle series didn't know what the hell this franchise was for.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I didn't know someone was translating this, gonna read up because its one of my favorite Wii Games. I hope Square announces a remaster for the Switch in the future.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh shit, I had no idea that this was being translated. My slow work day just got saved.

Remaster this, you cowards.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Iwata: "So, what made you decide to kill the Crystal Chronicles franchise?"
Developers: "Well, you see..."

Horrible game.

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
This is so cool, thanks for posting all of them!

Does anybody know if all the Iwata Asks have been archived somewhere?