• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
Why couldn't they just make a chubby classic Sonic cartoon model, to make a movie with the Roger Rabbit style?

The following images were ultracool decades ago. They worked well:

senor_droopymkv_snapshot_0808_20170110_133409.jpg

3.png

space%20jam.jpg

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
I was never really a fan of Sonic, but I realize that he's apparently got a huge fanbase and used to be very popular... However, I really don't understand what's going on with the gigantic drama surround those two posters, can someone ELI5 this for me? I mean, the movie was announced as a live action movie with Jim Carrey starring, did anyone honestly expect Sonic was going to look like he does in the 3D games?

Maybe not these days, where the technology exists to seamlessly blend CG with live action. But I do think there's room for a Roger-Rabbit style approach where Sonic is quite clearly not of this world.

In Detective Pikachu, the Pokemon are being sold as a fundamental part of the real world so it makes sense to render them as realistically as possible. From what little I know about this film, Sonic isn't from "here", so I don't think it'd be crazy to render him as an obviously CG character.

Edit: Space Jam ^ another excellent example

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I don't even know why Sega is letting this happening.

Even at their lowest, when they wanted to do the "what if Sonic was real" stuff in 2006, they understood you can't mess with his design.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm convinced that in reality, SEGA blames SONIC for not saving the console business of the company, so they have decided to shit on him out of spite.

Otherwise I can't explain why they would do that to their mascot

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Wait this is set in the real world?
Who the fuck thought that would be a good idea for Sonic?

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I can't believe how badly Sonic as an IP has been managed

It's like they're trying to fuck it up, they must be trolling at this point

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I saw this on twitter.

DuKbeJHWkAAoPYU.jpg:large

I honestly thought it was real. Wouldn't surprise me.

isn't he a hedgehog? The cartoons and games never specified he has fur nor not, like most cartoons but they're now just assuming he's all fur for some reason, technically speaking his head should be covered by blue spines or at least the fin looking parts being part of his whole physique.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't have any stock in this movie being successful. But why is this getting such (imho) overdramatic hate?

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People not realizing this movie will be a meme goldmine. Goddamn I want this to be so bad it's good category.

This has the potential to have a cult following, you can't deny that

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
For the dumb folks doing this movie, was it that hard to make it like this?:

isn't he a hedgehog? The cartoons and games never specified he has fur nor not, like most cartoons but they're now just assuming he's all fur for some reason, technically speaking his head should be covered by blue spines or at least the fin looking parts being part of his whole physique.

Actually, Sonic CG model has fur, it's not very visible though.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
What's odd is that I looked and this, scoffed and then said to myself, 'Ew, Sonic doesn't have blue legs. They're flesh coloured like his arms'.

Then I went and checked and I'm completely wrong. Sonic does indeed have blue legs.

Now I'm confused and don't know what to think.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I have a bad movie night with friends where we get drunk and watch films so bad they are hilarious. Already planning this in the schedule.

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
Imagine the kissing scene from Sonic '06, but with a real life woman and this Sonic.

Enjoy the mental image.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At the very least there should be time to rerender Sonic with a pair of socks.
Ankles socks at least please D:
Gildan-Mens-Ankle-Socks-GL730-White-2.jpg