• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
NDluKw8.png
Perfect response

but now I am imagining Tails in this.

Tycho Kepler

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 22, 2018
This movie is gonna be bad but I genuinely want to see Ben Schwartz play this monstrosity, I think at the very least it'll be entertainingly bad

ucanadam

Alt account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Guys guys what if Sonic has 10 minute actual nude love scene with socks on just like The Room with human woman

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
I really hope whoever made the CGI model of Sonic was forced to make this atrocity with a gun to his/her head because WHAT IN THE FUCK IS THAT. WHY ARE HIS FEET SO SMALL!?!? HUMAN LEGS?!?

Watch, the plot of this movie is going to be JUST AS BAD. I can see it being something stupid like this:

Kid in wheelchair gets electrocuted by some equipment in a lab that was creating a kinetic fluid that could recover lost limbs. Lab was using hedgehogs as test subjects, wheelchair kid accidentally knocks one hedgehog enclosure and some fluid over and a loose cable electrocutes both. Kid is now a hedgehog and can run at the speed of light.

I hear it now. the screams of all the fans...

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England

For reference, this is the artist that is doing the Detective PIkachu Pokemon art. He's the one they went to after seeing the designs.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm absolutely fascinated by this movie and wonder if anyone is going to see it opening night non-ironically

It....can't be good. Right???

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017

I think this is relevant

The one issue I have with this is that Classic Sonic is heavily Western. The original Japanese design was edgier with sharp teeth and longer quills and Sega of America worked on it and gave us the design we know and love. Ever since Naka got control of the series they started removing that Western influence and we got Modern Sonic with long quills and sharp teeth.

YYOyKb6.jpg

I remember seeing this art in a magazine as a kid and I was like "Welp, Sonic is dead to me now."

Village

Oct 25, 2017
The one issue I have with this is that Classic Sonic is heavily Western. The original Japanese design was edgier with sharp teeth and longer quills and Sega of America worked on it and gave us the design we know and love. Ever since Naka got control of the series they started removing that Western influence and we got Modern Sonic with long quills and sharp teeth.

YYOyKb6.jpg

I remember seeing this art in a magazine as a kid and I was like "Welp, Sonic is dead to me now."
I don't think that's really an issue with his point, sonic and co's designs at their core well at most of them, are heavily inspired by mickey mouse, felix the cat ect. And his base design is a mix of Japanese anime, with that western older animation style , and whether eastern or western inlfuenced because it has fluctuated back and forth over the years, that's still true. And even with western help with his original design still reached that place, I would argue the people who worked on that art, knowing what that was and keeping that speaks to his point.

You just don't like modern sonic, which is fine, I dissagree. But I think that's largely irrelevant to the point being made

Oct 25, 2017

YYOyKb6.jpg

That's funny, cause Sonic 2 was the first videogame I ever played and was already interested in the character, but seeing this image from Sonic Adventure (and the other art direction of the game) cemented me as a Sonic fan for life. The street/pushed style DC Sonic was incredibly appealing to me at the time (and still is). I loved the wild, vibrant style Sega unapologetically embraced in the late 90's, from Jet Set Radio to Sonic Adventure to Space Channel 5.

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who thought this was a good idea? What are these movie producers smoking?

This movie has bomba written all over it.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think that's really an issue with his point, sonic and co's designs at their core well at most of them, are heavily inspired by mickey mouse, felix the cat ect. And his base design is a mix of Japanese anime, with that western older animation style , and whether eastern or western inlfuenced because it has fluctuated back and forth over the years, that's still true. And even with western help with his original design still reached that place, I would argue the people who worked on that art, knowing what that was and keeping that speaks to his point.

You just don't like modern sonic, which is fine, I dissagree. But I think that's largely irrelevant to the point being made
My point is the tweet doesn't get at how important western influence was on Sonic and anime and general. Japan wasn't happy with SoA's changes. And it's not just a problem of westerners not getting it because western input improved his original design and Sonic Team themselves have demonstrated they don't get it, either.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018

YYOyKb6.jpg

I actually vastly prefer Modern Sonic to Classic Sonic. Modern is sort of timeless while Classic is firmly a product of the 90's.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
The only way this works is if the first part of the movie is a great looking normal CG cartoon and then he gets put in the human world and becomes a fucked up monster

Village

Oct 25, 2017
My point is the tweet doesn't get at how important western influence was on Sonic and anime and general. And it's not just a problem of westerners not getting it because western input improved his original design and Sonic Team themselves have demonstrated they don't get it, either.

Its not about that, I say this with respect who gives a shit about that. That's not relevant to the point being made, at the end of the day, sonic is a Japanese product with Japanese tendencies, and those Japanese tendencies and spin on what he is inspired on are one of the major reasons why he is popular and Hollywood tends to just shrug off shit like properties made in japan or cartoonish shit because its not in there sphere , when in reality that stuff probably makes more money than anything they are doing and as people in the business of entertainment they should be actively paying attention to it.

And sonic team does get it because his design is still popular and fine, heck his design and their subsequent additions to are what allow him to survive for this long. Heck the most popular character in the franchise that isn't sonic, shadow, and his whole everything is anime as hell. So they do get it, at least visually and know what to do , and what not to do.

Whether you like it is a irrelevant premise. That's neat, who cares. It worked for a lot of people, and hollywood shrugging the shit of off that made it work is the issue being brought up

Last edited:

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

YYOyKb6.jpg

Fucking love this design so much. Its everything dreamcast. So special

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh dear.

It's seems they've wrote Sonic doing human things like driving or whatever before doing anything else which dictates this nightmare fuel design. They want a rigid human frame for scenes instead of thinking outside the box.

retrocore9

Banned
Dec 27, 2017
The tagline "A Whole New Speed of Hero" is a play on "A Whole New Breed of Hero" which was the tagline for the Howard the Duck 1986 movie.