• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I don't see it that way. Not that we know enough about it, but any type of game can be an RPG. That doesn't change what it is. The Witcher is a third person action rpg. But if you take the RPG away it's still a third person action game and will play as such. The RPG aspect doesn't change this.
The RPG aspect is intrinsically related to the way you can build Geralt's moveset. I was melting bosses in quests quite a bit higher than my level because of the way I built Geralt to have an incredibly overpowered Igni stream.

I hate Mass Effect combat. It's bad at being an RPG and a shooter. And the third game is a narrative car crash.
You dislike most well received things in general and the climax of 3 was dictated by it having the shortest production time, even still, it is as a game a massive accomplishment that still had narrative payoffs throughout and replay value. Seriously, you can just normalize expressing your opinion via "Eh this didn't resonate with me personally" instead of "Nearly everything i've played as an adult is actually garbage."

That's not to mention others mentioning, Destiny, Borderlands, The Division, etc. and i'll throw Deus Ex in there. Point is, in the right hands a shooter and RPG absolutely can be a good experience.

Last edited:

Yeona

Banned
Jan 19, 2021
I'm always down for massive scale. I'm a sucker for some good cosmic horror. The scifi spires, the giant eye in the sky, just perfect as far as I'm concerned. I hope this turns out to be something special.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I see a little snippet of this got out from somewhere. I'll mention the build here is definitely an older one (few telltale signs), so don't judge the visuals too harshly. I'm actually quite interested in this one as I've said before, keeping tabs on it myself.

Last edited:

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
This is just the new Mass Effect reboot that got scrapped, and then outsourced.

Yea bro you hate most video games lol

I mean, technically they're not wrong. The Mass Effect games never excelled at being shooters, and compared to some previous RPGs were pretty light in that regard. As an overall package though, even while straddling the line between both genres? The first and second were fantastic. The third game tried even harder to be a shooter, and while it definitely improved upon the previous two games in that regard, it shows that was more of a focus. The narrative was trash, the companions were mostly boring and so were most of the settings and arenas.

The most praise ME3 got was for the multiplayer...hmm.

I think I've seen PlanetSmasher express a disdain for shooters in general, so makes sense he wouldn't want a shooter RPG.

Not every game needs to be a shooter (first or third), first-person, or open-world. Something many developers kind of forgot starting with gen 7. I don't have disdain for shooters, they just do nothing for me anymore, and trying to force the gene into games that generally play better without it always seem to hold back better combat designs with Action/Adventure games and RPGs. Mainly because they basically all play the same way.

You could argue the same for turn-based, but at least for a while there's a semblance of thought behind your actions. I find both styles boring anymore.

Last edited:

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
I see a little snippet of this got out from somewhere. I'll mention the build here is definitely an older one (few telltale signs), so don't judge the visuals too harshly. I'm actually quite interested in this one a I've said before, keeping tabs on it myself.

Have you seen more recent footage of it?

PhillyPaw

Apr 11, 2021
Inb4planet complains that it's not a turn based rpg. Or it doesn't look like this, that and the third.

EDIT: Whelp....

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
ResetEra clone but with a lot of former Era/GAF people and the founder apparently threatened somebody's kid so his account got banned. Great place, I'm certain
9BysTi9.gif

From what I read in the PS OT on it, it's not something you wanna know about.
It's too late. 😩

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Hmm, not a great first look imo but obviously leaks don't always show games in the best light. I also hope the main character ends up looking... a little less generic than he seems to be from this. I'm guessing it's a placeholder of some kind because the animations and textures look a little rough.

It's probably just a prototype/proof of concept they used to pitch the game.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Sony first party sci fi rpg is all I need to know

Jun 25, 2022
Looks promising. Wonder if it's a dialogue heavy, choice/consequences based RPG or more of a shooter with light RPG elements.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
That PS360 color palette isn't a great first impression for me but hopefully it's not representative of the whole thing.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I wish I clicked before getting my expectations anywhere. Looks like Great Value-Walmart brand Mass Effect. I was hoping for at least something closer to fantasy in tone.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm, what if EPIC and Sony got even more buddy-buddy, co-developing a game to get the absolute most out UE5 on PlayStation, resulting in better dev tools?

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
This is just the new Mass Effect reboot that got scrapped, and then outsourced.

I mean, technically they're not wrong. The Mass Effect games never excelled at being shooters, and compared to some previous RPGs were pretty light in that regard. As an overall package though, even while straddling the line between both genres? The first and second were fantastic. The third game tried even harder to be a shooter, and while it definitely improved upon the previous two games in that regard, it shows that was more of a focus. The narrative was trash, the companions were mostly boring and so were most of the settings and arenas.
How does it do that exactly? Because it has better shooting? ME3 has more RPG Elements than ME2, not only does it 1:1 copy the skill tree from the previous game it doubles the amount of skills you can invest in, plus unlike the 2nd game you can be more specific in the way you want to play your character because you have total freedom in choosing your loadout, the crux was that when you have more weapons with you your abilities cooldown would take longer, but when you only had a pistol it could be up to 200% faster.
Like if ME3 isn't an RPG but straight up shooter so is ME2 in this comparison because the third game builds on all of it's mechanics and only adds more depth and choice.