• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jacob4815

Oct 29, 2017
Patch 1.04 for PS4 is available. There's a toggle for CA, but only "Low" and "Normal". The graphic now is so much better with Low, a lot crisper!

But I would prefer to turn off the CA completely. I hope in a next patch!

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it the other night. Amazing game. In my top 3 of the year so far.

One question. Have the devs said how old the characters are? I don't think it's ever brought up in the game.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Here's some XB1X comparison shots between Chromatic Aberration Normal and Low. The difference is huge.

Normal
5aff12f0-41bb-4706-a967-24c6b1ead46a.PNG

Low
acc36052-9934-4a93-b374-723d3943e13f.PNG

Normal
32f13325-cadd-46b1-9305-f1579e9331b6.PNG

Low
22510518-2b26-43d2-9c0d-749cb2cde8d7.PNG

Last edited:

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This game is absolutely brilliant, and not far off a Sony first party title IMO. I have two chapters left and it has blown me away. Beautiful, great characters. I love Amicia and Hugo!

I hope this game is remembered through this gen and beyond, and If I was MS looking for a developer to strengthen first party output I would look no further than this team. They deserve all the praise.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Moneyhat so that they can lock out all of the PS4/ PS5 gamers? No thanks.

I didn't say moneyhat, I said buy the actual developer. There's a benefit to being owned by a first party studio and Microsoft needs Devs like this. Do you hold the same stance on all the games that are denied other platforms from Sony?

Last edited:

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Preferably a small independent team finding some success with a publisher like Focus that are keeping AA gaming going would stay that way. Instead of becoming part of the MS should buy everyone meme.

Shame the toggle for chromatic aberration has come this long after launch. Some of the outdoor sections looked pretty fuzzy when I played through it.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Preferably a small independent team finding some success with a publisher like Focus that are keeping AA gaming going would stay that way. Instead of becoming part of the MS should buy everyone meme.

Shame the toggle for chromatic aberration has come this long after launch. Some of the outdoor sections looked pretty fuzzy when I played through it.

I just honestly feel that this studio, with the extra support of a larger first party studio could really make something incredible. The funding to do proper motion capture etc. Everything else is pretty much on the level of a major Sony first party title. It wouldn't make sense for Sony to buy them but MS. (Sony as they have studios that make games like this already)

I feel like this game is so close to something like the last of us, it's obviously not on the exact same level but it isn't far off IMO. Let's just say it really surprised me and I've loved every minute of it. Right up my street.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I just honestly feel that this studio, with the extra support of a larger first party studio could really make something incredible. The funding to do proper motion capture etc. Everything else is pretty much on the level of a major Sony first party title. It wouldn't make sense for Sony to buy them but MS. (Sony as they have studios that make games like this already)

I feel like this game is so close to something like the last of us, it's obviously not on the exact same level but it isn't far off IMO. Let's just say it really surprised me and I've loved every minute of it. Right up my street.

As long as they aren't in financial troubles i think it always best to keep on doing what they're doing. I wouldn't want the big guns like MS or Sony to be owning every independent team between them.

Their next game has already been announced to be with Focus and might be linked with this game too. So they're definitely going to get noticed more after the attention and word of mouth this has got.

Last edited:

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
So this game is the first I've played on my X that is making it sound like crickets are in my system. I'm guessing it's coil whine, but damn, it's actually kind of loud considering my X is usually very quiet except for some whooshing from the fans. Anyone else have this happen? I really hate exchanging consoles.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Midway through my 2nd playthrough, I think the French dub is much better than the English one, I'm enjoying it a lot. English soldiers speaking French was weird tho.
Some screenshots below. Game is gorgeous!
Ah yes, going from golden autumn paradise to cello infused shadow nightmare. I gotta say, as a horror film fan, that many times enjoys the first part of the movies the most, this game does it masterfully.

mr lurtle

Oct 27, 2017
I finished it last weekend and loved almost all of it except the ending when
they had to throw in the imho unnecessary boss fight. I wish more games would stop with that formula.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
After finishing this game like a week and change ago I haven't been hablé to play more games. This game had a crazy impact on me.

Moose the Mooche

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Reaching the end.. Game is really good but i made the wrong choice of playing it in english. The vo in english is terrible.
Game took a while to get its grips on me but i love it now. Chapter 13 was some great stuff

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Q&A here says they do make use of French accent to make it more immersive... dont know if this is a legit site tho.

https://forums.focus-home.com/topic/36489/a-plague-tale-innocence-faq

They're definitely doing some kind of accent, but again, that's not really a French accent. In the short interview with the voice actress posted above, she even specifies how at first they wanted her to do a French accent, but then decided to not do it and go for something that would sound less like someone speaking in a second language, but in a native one. Trust me, I know what French people speaking English sounds like, and this sounded nothing like it.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
Joseph Anderson just dropped a video on it, if anyone is interested.

Haven't watched it myself yet but he did say on Twitter he enjoyed it but it was also "a bit crap" so i'tll probably be quite negative.

Moose the Mooche

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
They're definitely doing some kind of accent, but again, that's not really a French accent. In the short interview with the voice actress posted above, she even specifies how at first they wanted her to do a French accent, but then decided to not do it and go for something that would sound less like someone speaking in a second language, but in a native one. Trust me, I know what French people speaking English sounds like, and this sounded nothing like it.

Your more the expert then me so i'll go with you on that. For me honestly it totally didnt work with what they were aiming for.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
beautiful screens. great game.

but to be frank, ive been working in games for over 15 years, and you say 'huge difference' but I can't see a difference at all!

If you can't see the clarity difference in the bushes and trees between the first and second pics, I don't know what to tell you. Make sure you open them all the way up. It really is a big difference.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
Finished the game on Wednesday. Definitely going in my top 10 list at year end, loved the story and the characters.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

Not sure if they were going for this (probably not) but a 13th century French accent would sound very different to how it sounds today.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Joseph Anderson just dropped a video on it, if anyone is interested.

Haven't watched it myself yet but he did say on Twitter he enjoyed it but it was also "a bit crap" so i'tll probably be quite negative.

It was interesting, I enjoyed watching him try to break the game and see how that would play out (the part with the archers is definitely something I had thought of too, and the part with the three guards was just funny), but also I don't quite understand how he, in the same breath, acknowledges this is a small AA studio of 45 people who made an incredibly stunning visual game, which is unusual to be that pretty for a small studio (and that's true) but also doesn't understand that most of his criticism of the gameplay limitations are also totally absolutely bound to the fact it's... a small AA studio of 45 people.

Most of the things he criticizes in this video, are fair, but also not fair because of how many people worked on the game, and how the changes he wished for, would have implied so SO MUCH work (to an insane amount, like ripples of a butterfly, if you change one thing in the design, you have to recheck the entire game's encounters one by one) that a studio of 45 people could NEVER EVER provide. He clearly is minimizing the impact of his criticism/fixes in terms of cost, money, time and work, and never brings that up as a reason to why the game design is the way it is, and why the devs made the choices they made. He's absolutely unforgiving where he... should be way more understanding?

I also feel he expects all game design to be one way, and one way only, and that's a narrow vision that's not that interesting or fair to me either, but he does acknowledge he has a certain type of standard and says not everybody should have those same standards at all. It's a bummer for him, I think, I hope I never become that kind of player, even though he puts out very interesting videos as a result. He would make an amazing QA though, I think.

Last edited:

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
It was interesting, I enjoyed watching him try to break the game and see how that would play out (the part with the archers is definitely something I had thought of too, and the part with the three guards was just funny), but also I don't quite understand how he, in the same breath, acknowledges this is a small AA studio of 45 people who made an incredibly stunning visual game, which is unusual to be that pretty for a small studio (and that's true) but also doesn't understand that most of his criticism of the gameplay limitations are also totally absolutely bound to the fact it's... a small AA studio of 45 people. Most of the things he criticizes in this video, are fair, but also not fair because of how many people worked on the game, and how the changes he wished for, would have implied so SO MUCH work (to an insane amount, like ripples of a butterfly, if you change one thing in the design, you have to recheck the entire game's encounters one by one) that a studio of 45 people could NEVER EVER provide. He clearly is minimizing the impact of his criticism/fixes in terms of cost, money, time and work, and never brings that up as a reason why the game design is the way it is, and the devs made the choices they made. He's absolutely unforgiving where he... should be way more understanding? I also feel he expects game design to be one way, and one way only, and that's a narrow vision that's not that interesting or fair to me either, but he does acknowledge he has a certain type of standard and knows not everybody should have those same ones. It's a bummer for him, I think, I hope I never become that kind of player, even though he puts out very interesting videos as a result.
Yeah, it's a common theme in his videos that he gets frustrated when a game doesn't let him do something he thinks you should be able to do. It's not something that really bothers me unless really egregious. However, I enjoy his videos a lot and he always offers an interesting perspective on games that you very rarely find in more mainstream coverage.