• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 29, 2018
It's a stupid argument by itself, but the fact that the hospital ignored his DNR and revived him so he could go back to prison seems cruel and unusual.

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
If I'm on the operating table and my heart stops beating I'm dead right? Surely I'm dead if no one does anything. But if the medical staff intervene and restart my heart then we can agree I'm alive. IDK I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your sentiment (our nomenclature of death implies permanence) but it seems to me that you can be technically dead and then brought back to life in medical terms.

Isn't clinical death heartbeat and respiration?

Edit: Yup, they only consider you 'dead' when it's both.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Your heart is a pump. When that pump stops your blood stops circulating. When your blood stops circulating your organs stop receiving oxygen. When your organs stop receiving oxygen cellular death occurs. When cellular death occurs your body starts to shut down. This can be stopped but not entirely reversed. The Cardiopulminary system is essential for maintaining life. We call death after an extended period of failed attempts at resuscitation.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
You don't defibrillate unless there is a heartbeat. You do CPR to keep blood flowing and the brain supplied with oxygen and try to get a heartbeat going through other means or hope it returns naturally but defibrillation is only done to reset the heart from various arrhythmia.

Apparently you don't shock pulseless electrical activity, true.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017
Q9C3K0j.gif
^^^
I call it "The Jon Snow Loophole"

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Isn't Death generally legally defined as Brain Death? Aka past the point at which resuscitation is at all possible.

So from a legal perspective, he didn't actually die.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's a good argument to say that he has died thus ending his sentence, but ignoring the DNR approaches "cruel and unusual" territory and should get him (or his family) something.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Doctors seem to like ignoring DNRs. My dad signed one because he was in too much pain and wanted it to end. Went into cardiac arrest and his heart stopped beating. Doctors began defib anyways, trying to claim the DNR wasn't valid because the pain he was in clouded his judgment.

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
I don't think it's a good argument to say that he has died thus ending his sentence, but ignoring the DNR approaches "cruel and unusual" territory and should get him (or his family) something.
The medical staff went against a DNR.

He might have a case.

He has no case. Legally he's considered property of the state. It's at the States discretion to honor a DNR or not.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is there a rule about surviving your death sentence/execution and getting set free or did I just see that in a movie? And if so what movie?

Gaius Cassius

Oct 28, 2017
Oregon
Wait, wasn't this shit an old Star Trek episode? Except the dude nearly died (after being lobotomized or some shit) and woke up with amnesia, so he argued he was a new person and therefore innocent and should be let go?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
We do not find his argument persuasive," Judge Potterfield wrote, adding that the judges found it unlikely the Legislature would have wanted "to set criminal defendants free whenever medical procedures during their incarceration lead to their resuscitation by medical professionals."

Who are you to judge? Fucking jabroni.

RELEASE THIS MAN

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doctors seem to like ignoring DNRs. My dad signed one because he was in too much pain and wanted it to end. Went into cardiac arrest and his heart stopped beating. Doctors began defib anyways, trying to claim the DNR wasn't valid because the pain he was in clouded his judgment.
Sorry. In what country did that happen?

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Seems he'd only have a case if he were declared legally dead at some point during the proceedings. Without an official declaration of death by a licensed physician, he won't have much of a case. That, and the fact that he's sitting there talking.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Now I want to see an heir who demands all of his father's wealth immediately as his inheritance because he briefly died but was resuscitated.

"That motherfucker died, bring out the will"

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I 'died' multiple times at birth. If the law worked in a way where you could classify your natural life as ending when you were revived by technology then I've been walking round with a get out of jail free card my whole life.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry. In what country did that happen?
USA. We didn't pursue it since life saving attempts failed and he got his wish anyways. Government gave us some money for his death since the medical problems that led to his death were caused by an experiment they were doing during the war he was enlisted in. Got exposed accidentally to the shit.

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Is there precedent for that? Like say, forcing a cancer patient to prolong treatment or something?
They couldn't force the treatment but they can provide the treatment should both the state and the patient wish it. The state always has the mandate to preserve life until such a time as the people(through the state) deem a life forfeit. That's why you hear stories about death row prisoners receiving life saving treatments only to be executed later.