• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017

A popular Dark Souls 2 Project is looking super impressive, so I thought I would get some attention towards the project, Vaati himself is super excited and. It's gone from a lighting mod, to a full visual overhaul (Including new shaders and environmental details, an example being the corpses in the Forest of Fallen Giants now being in Royal Army uniforms) No reshades or filters, everything is being made from the ground up. It's trying to go beyond even the original E3 trailer visuals.
EObPfEmU8AAy55V

EObPfEnVAAAzHhs

EObPfEmVUAA7A9T

It almost looks photoshopped to how gorgeous this person's work is. Unfortunately, apparently the new expanded scope is going to delay the project by alot. And I think their Dark Souls 1 and 3 projects are not going to be coming soon now.
EOvj5pYUcAAm_tj

So I'm a Souls modding tool developer and I've worked closely with Stayd (the author of this mod) on developing the tools needed to make this mod possible, so I can give an overview on what this mod is doing and how it works.

At the core of this mod is the upgraded shaders. DS2 SOTFS is ultimately based on a PS3 era game and most of the shaders and post-processing is very low quality compared to PS4 counterparts. By reverse engineering and decompiling the game's shaders, Stayd was able to rewrite many of the effects to be of much higher quality. Everything from material shading, antialiasing, ambient occlusion, bloom, skin shading, and more was upgraded with higher quality versions.

The mod also adjusts the game's "filter parameters" which control things like the sunlight, ambient light levels, color grading, fog, and other things. It's kinda like tweaking a reshade but since it's in engine, you have much more control over the look and can tweak it on an area basis. Stayd is also able to edit per-object rendering parameters to make many more objects shadow casters and increase the number of point lights that can cast shadows at the same time, making the game look much less flat.

The most ambitious part of the mod is the map and light edits. With a Unity-based map editor I created, Stayd is able to edit the placement of dynamic lights and map objects. In many maps, Stayd added many more dynamic lights and fixed many cases in the game where the lights don't match what you see in the environment (i.e. windows not being a big light source, tunnels being super bright without any kind of light source, torches added where they make sense, more minor incandescent objects casting lights, etc). He's also taken to doing map edits that aren't directly related to lights such as adding props and clutter to many of the empty rooms in the game and trying to enhance the visual storytelling in the game (making more of the areas seem to have an actual purpose beyond being a gameplay setpiece). Outdoor environments are also edited to have much more dense foliage and things like trees, rocks, bushes, etc are added.

He's also been working on other changes that may be more controversial such as redoing enemy placement and making lore/item description changes where he may see fit, but he plans to release those changes as an optional part of the mod.

Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Huh.
Is this gonna be applied to DS2 vanilla, or Scholar of the First Sin?

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Is there a mod that changes combat to match the other souls games?
Nope. Dark Souls 2 modding has just taken off recently because of the lack of tools and lack of interest in the game itself. People are just starting to focus there attention on it

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
I always thought DS2 was the worst looking of the bunch. Literally looked like they turned off the lightning, and the artstyle is not nice either. This looks so much better.

takriel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Forest of the Fallen Giants will never not be ugly.

I'm excited to try this out!

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I just noticed all the new trees in the "Forest" of Fallen Giants!

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
well, already wanted to replay 2 again, and this mod looks really cool. this being so cheap on the lunar sale made it a no brainer. bought it.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I've been burned one too many times but it just looks like mid 2000s era bloom. Not as bad as Oblivion but it still has that hazy quality.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
I mean this still doesn't look even close to the OG Dark Souls 2 visuals from the gameplay trailers and the OG gameplay.

Dream_Journey

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, what an effort, bless the modder! Will definitely play again when this is out, it's been long time since i finished.

Dude, i love PC gaming! <3

Jan 2, 2018
Okay, I have to remember this. Until this day I couldn't get through DS2 while loving 1 and 3, but perhaps I'll try it again with this mod.

SayemAhmd

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 3, 2019
Honestly to me this looks great. Brings a lot of depth to an otherwise very flat looking game.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, there should be no inexplicable light sources. The entire game could have been lit by torches. I did it my first play though thinking I would uncover the promised land. Of course, this was only a fools errand. Although, with a true lighting model it would not have to be. Could you imagine?

ReDelicious

Oct 27, 2017
Oh great, I have a massive backlog to work through and when this mod is finished I'm probably going to replay this again immediately for the umpteenth time instead of playing new stuff lol.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Is this going to be one of those projects that goes dark for the next decade or does this person have a track record of releasing mods in a timely manner?

Havel

Oct 25, 2017
I've been following him for a few months now and I'm super excited about this. It's gonna take a while, but it should be glorious when completed.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why DS2 ended up looking worse than the first game in a lot of ways.
Hopefully this mod can correct it.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is great. It's going to really help make DS2 look good, because it looks super rough at times.