• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

deadlygantz

Oct 15, 2019
Currently, the AFK timers are quite long, and the hardware can't tell if you are sitting there or moved away for a long time. The patent aims to fix that issue.

As understood herein, when a user puts down a computer simulation controller such as a computer game controller, the game does not know if user is away or simply not responding.

Present principles make it possible for the game system or the game to determine whether the user has abandoned the game or simply is on a short break, so that the simulation system can take immediate action without waiting for the elapse of an AwayFromKeyboard timer.

In example implementations the instructions can be executable to, at least in part responsive to the motion state being stationary, initially slow down presentation of computer simulation and an elapse of a period, pause presentation of the computer simulation.

Patent

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if you can pause a game with a gesture. That would be great

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
So like pausing music when you take out an airpod or something but for controllers

I dip my controller real low and lean in when I'm taking something seriously, this is a fun experiment but don't think it'll end up much more

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
So I change position to get comfy and the game randomly pauses itself?

No thanks.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Oh this is a nice idea for online afk players. Can just make the game start looking darker as a warning, then an actual warning message, and then you get kick off the multiplayer session.

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
I hope that when this gets introduced they realize there are also people who lay down their controller when they are watching a 2-3 minute cutscene.

Sep 13, 2022
I don't play games that can be paused but doesn't the controller disconnect already after a set amount of time. I would imagine if I was in a single player game it would effectively pause it already.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
So this would be vaguely similar to how my phone knows when I'm picking it up, putting to my ear etc.?

Sounds good to me - having the game automatically pause if I put down the controller sounds convenient.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
Good idea but would rather have it pause when input is not detected after like 5 mins or something. I know it force pauses the game when the controller gets disconnected but idle time out is far longer than that on most controllers.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like an overly complex solution to a simple problem that would result in too many false positives to actually be useful.

CONCHOBAR

Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't seem any easier or more convenient than just pressing a button. If anything, it seems less convenient due to the false positives and false negatives it's sure to register.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't seem any easier or more convenient than just pressing a button.

This, lol.

Here's a cool patent: The controller recognizes that you threw it in frustration across the room. When you pick up the controller again (if it still works) whatever tricky boss or tricky gameplay part frustrated you so much has been skipped.
No need to thank me, Sony. You are welcome. :)

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I remember being so excited when I first saw this demo, but it turns out that it works so well because the camera filming the screen only has one 'eye' and it doesn't work anything like as well for the vast majority of us possessing stereoscopic vision.

Yeah I remember reading that years back in the comment section... but you would think Sony (or the old Sony) would come up with some neat tricks in game, with this cam... let alone just head tracking.

SuperRaddy

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So when you rage quit and throw your controller, it pauses for you. So you and resume where you left off when calmed down.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
I feel like theres these patents posted almost daily or at least weekly and almost all haven't really come to life.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Pointless. And also, potentially more unhelpful than helpful. Imagine if you're specifically waiting for a set period of in-game time, ala, a monster on a timed spawn, and you step away to do something else whilst it ticks down... Now the game pauses and you come back and you're only half way through the timer instead of almost done/done

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
I'd settle for an automatic pause when the controller battery runs out.

That would be nice to sort/standarise first before any fancy controller motion stuff

Seriously though Imagine playing a game and it keeps pausing in long cutscenes. Kojima games would be impossible to play.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I put my controller down during cutscenes. So hopefully they account for that. Otherwise, like JMS says, they should work on their controller battery before throwing more tech into it.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I am glad humanity invent patent to protect innovation made by individuals and / or small company.