• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I really don't like grading in gaming, but whatever, it's here.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What the fudge.

Also, is it really mint? Feel like I can see a corner scuff bottom right corner.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
ok it's time to sell my copy of Full Auto 2 on the PSP

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
So I have a sealed copy of Mario 64 lying around. How do I get it graded?

ConanEdogawa

Oct 31, 2017
I got a new sealed copy for my birthday when I was young, hard to believe it's worth even close to that much.

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
It can't be perfect if it's rated 9.8 surely.

Oh well, I hope they open it.

Edit: I'm sure I read "perfect" somewhere.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Once it hit $1.2 mil I dropped out of the bidding. Just a little too much for me.

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021
So odd, I can see mint collections with things like cards, they are collectibles by nature, but a game is meant to be played...

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Surprised it wasn't this.

lf

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
I have a sealed copy of Paper Mario for the N64 but it has a tiny scuff on one of the box corners.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The retro market is totally broken thanks to those grading "services" (aka scam) and
people having too much money. Tax those bastards

Ashler

Oct 27, 2017
Joke's on the seller. With inflation that 1.5mil will be worth peanuts in 10 years...

/s

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
I don't really understand this "buying sealed copies of super common games for stupid amounts" thing, but whatever -- congrats to whoever found this thing at the flea market or whatever.

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
There isn't even anything special about this copy, is there? It's just sealed and in good condition. There's no way someone thought it was worth that much money. More likely, this is some sort of price manipulation scheme. Strategically paying absurd prices to make headlines and convince the world that they should make an "investment" by paying large amounts of money for ordinary games. Either that or money laundering.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They ran out of comic books so this is the obvious next step. Also barely anyone back then kept the boxes, so no wonder people with too much money flex their collections like this.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017

Wasnt that the old leader and just a few days ago?

That one made a bit more sense since it could reasonably be tracked as a version that was released prior to being available in the wider mass market.

Plus the 1980s was still kind of on the edge of when people started to seriously collect anything and everything. The mid 90s had seen a whole lot of stuff hit the collecting craze so it would have been a lot more predictable that games would blow up some day.

And like others have said - it's a sealed copy of a game that sold 10 million+ with zero distinguishing features to set it apart from the rest.

Bdub79

Oct 25, 2017
Which one of you was it?

Hard to believe that for about 45 minutes I owned something that could have potentially been worth over a million bucks a quarter of a century later.

Kahhhhyle

Jun 8, 2021
With almost everything going digital, I don't think we'll have as many nostalgic artifacts like this. It'll be a YouTube Playlist instead.
Ehhhhh... It's not as if Mario 64 isn't easily available. It's been re-released several times and is actually available for the the current Nintendo platform. And if you fly the jolly Roger it's even easier. I'm not sure what the future of modern games will look like, but it sure doesn't seem like digital availability will affect it.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I keep seeing the rumormongering around this that it's a few super rich people just passing money back and forth to each other, and that would be really funny

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
You can get sealed copies for 4 figures on ebay. Some of those people might want to consider pulling their listings and getting graded lol.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My sealed, graded copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy is going to put my kids through space college.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Well, I just googled wata which was in the auction's name, and this is what I got: https://www.watagames.com/ I have no clue if there are any other grading companies though.

There's also https://cgagrading.com/videogamegrader/

But yeah, these things are a scam and definitely just there to raise the value of games/money laundering/whatever.

People have tested these things by sending in the same game multiple times, getting wildly different scores each time. On top of that, others have sent fakes and still had them given good grades.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
I mean, if sealed copies of SM64 are really that rare it could be worth whatever people are willing to pay. Any stupid arbitrary thing that makes something rare can increase value in these collectors markets, like Beanie Babies with tiny printing errors on the tags and shit.