• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Screen_Shot_2019-12-17_at_6.02.45_AM.png

This is a screenshot taken straight from the CPT website for the upcoming 2020 season. The link to the actual page is in the Sources section below.

As for why this could be a sign of Street Fighter VI coming in 2021, I should probably let Chelsea explain that.

This isn't a sure-thing, especially when the Capcom Pro Tour also has other changes for the 2020 season. But considering what happened in the past, it's possible that this is a signal of SFVI being out in time for the 2021 Capcom Pro Tour. If that's the case, hopefully they don't rush it out like they did for SFV's launch.

Sources: Capcom Pro Tour, Chelsea (Twitter)

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
I could see it coming out sooner than that. Maybe end of 2020.

Street Fighter V likely won't have any additional characters added, and pro players will need to have a decent adjustment period before Capcom Pro Tour 2021 kicks off around March.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I could see it coming out sooner than that. Maybe end of 2020.

Street Fighter V likely won't have any additional characters added, and pro players will need to have a decent adjustment period before Capcom Pro Tour 2021 kicks off around March.
Street Fighter V came out in February 2016, with the Capcom Pro Tour starting a month later with SFV as its main game. If Street Fighter VI is gonna be the main game of the 2021 Capcom Pro Tour, it'd need to be out by February 2021.

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
Street Fighter V came out in February 2016, with the Capcom Pro Tour starting a month later with SFV as its main game. If Street Fighter VI is gonna be the main game of the 2021 Capcom Pro Tour, it'd need to be out by February 2021.
Yeah. I don't think/hope they're going cross-gen, so with next-gen starting Holiday 2020 I could see Capcom aiming for the MonHun World January slot.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit if they drop it during the mid-season break

Edit: Oh, 2021, never mind. That'd be great if they could get it out around launch time for the consoles. If not, they could still launch it during the season break in Summer 2020

Sheentak

Oct 25, 2017
Give Street fighter a break
Capcom vs
Darkstalkers
Rival schools

Please please we have such awesome other games but it's always back to street fighter. Mechanically I want something new

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
Wondering if it will be platform locked again.
Not a chance, imo. I don't think platform exclusives did them any financial favours this generation.

I hope not. The games should be played, in competitive, on the best possible platform.

I think next gen's horsepower will be quite sufficient for a fighting game, no matter the console. Even Series X's rumoured little brother will have power to spare. Heck, looking at what Capcom's current engine can crank out on even the base Xbox One, I think we're in for a treat.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather have 2022 to be honest to minimize the risk of another rushed-out-the-ass release.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
2021 makes sense with the way support has been ramping down for SFV. Hopefully they learned from the issues that the launch of 5 had.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
So does this means no .vs (or any other Capcom fighter) until after 2021? ;_;

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Optimistically I would say it just confirms Capcom is gonna have another main fighter. Doesn't have to be Street Fighter 6.

Then again, Ono is a known liar so SF6 could very well be out that soon.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I think next gen's horsepower will be quite sufficient for a fighting game, no matter the console. Even Series X's rumoured little brother will have power to spare. Heck, looking at what Capcom's current engine can crank out on even the base Xbox One, I think we're in for a treat.
Correction, that's Capcom Dev 1's engine (the RE Engine). And while you don't necessarily have to scan in models & clothing into the engine, it does give you the best results. As such, it can be limiting when it comes to larger playable rosters & more complex alternate costumes. So while the engine has begun to spread to outside Dev 1 (RE Resistance is being outsourced but still uses the RE Engine), there are still issues with the RE Engine for a potential fighting game.

I'd rather have 2022 to be honest to minimize the risk of another rushed-out-the-ass release.
I'm with you there, I'd prefer to let the game sit in the oven a little more to ensure a solid amount of content at launch.

Optimistically I would say it just confirms Capcom is gonna have another main fighter. Doesn't have to be Street Fighter 6.

Then again, Ono is a known liar so SF6 could very well be out that soon.
I can't really see any next-gen fighting game coming from Capcom before SFVI. In the past, Street Fighter usually comes out before, say, another Versus game.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this means we see an announcement at E3, following Capcom's 9 month rule. I'd expect it to be a launch title for next gen if it's already in the tour next March. A little worrying to be using a launch title for the next 6-7 years, but if Capgod is putting the same care into this game as RE2/3 and MHW, we should be in good hands.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Makes sense if there retiring V for a new game next gen. Street Fighter VI using RE engine would be cool.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this means we see an announcement at E3, following Capcom's 9 month rule. I'd expect it to be a launch title for next gen if it's already in the tour next March. A little worrying to be using a launch title for the next 6-7 years, but if Capgod is putting the same care into this game as RE2/3 and MHW, we should be in good hands.

If it's a launch game it will be cross-gen so I don't want that.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This looks like an option select to me. As it stands, there's no guarantee that the 2020 winner qualifies for 2021. But there's no reason they can't change that later. Addition is easier than subtraction. So if they launch 2021, no problem. If they launch 2022? Also no problem.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Godfall is a launch title & it isn't cross-gen, so it's still possible that SFVI could be exclusively next-gen if it's out in Early 2021. Considering that & the fact that Capcom doesn't usually do cross-gen for their fighting games, I wouldn't worry too much.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
This looks like an option select to me. As it stands, there's no guarantee that the 2020 winner qualifies for 2021. But there's no reason they can't change that later. Addition is easier than subtraction. So if they launch 2021, no problem. If they launch 2022? Also no problem.
But at the same time, this could be a sign that Capcom's at least aiming for a 2021 release for SFVI. Though you may have a point about it being an option select for Capcom, as such a move is flexible enough to where they can change it in case SFVI needs more time in the oven.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you telling me a new Rival Schools or a Darkstalkers WOULDN'T set the world on fire in 2021?

DS? Nah.

Rival Schools on the other hand does have potential, especially since they can easily cross over characters from other Capcom (and even other company) games and include them in the game as students, school staff etc.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
I would love for something a little different than SF, so they don't charge from one entry into another. Of course, my ideal is a CvS3, and that seems kinda very unlikely. I just want True Love Making.

If they're pumping it out this fast, are they carrying over features from V into VI? Starting from scratch every time after they built up the roster and playable content was one of the problems SFV had at launch over SFIV; it didn't seem like a viable fighting game to play until Arcade Edition, and it taking that long has given the game a long-standing negative impression. It was taken to town for missing things other games were doing.

Oct 25, 2017
Not inherently. Capcom likes a lot of processing overhead on their fighting games and SFV had very occasional dips on PS4 as is, nonetheless X1, so i doubt they'd even want to touch last gen. Also, there's like 5 months max between next gen launch and the speculated launch range for SFVI, so whether or not it's a launch title, it's still launching very early in the gen.
DS? Nah.

Rival Schools on the other hand does have potential, especially since they can easily cross over characters from other Capcom (and even other company) games and include them in the game as students, school staff etc.
Definitely would argue DS has way more potential for mass appeal than RS. There are plenty of people who are immediately turned off by a game based around teenage characters.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it won't come out as rushed and barebone as SFV, game is good now but holy shit was its launch embarrassing.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Pretty much as expected by everyone yeah, with a reveal in 2020.
Marketing deal is obvious, but hopefully not a console exclusive this time around.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they're pumping it out this fast, are they carrying over features from V into VI? Starting from scratch every time after they built up the roster and playable content was one of the problems SFV had at launch over SFIV; it didn't seem like a viable fighting game to play until Arcade Edition, and it taking that long has given the game a long-standing negative impression. It was taken to town for missing things other games were doing.

It's hardly fast when SFV will be 5 years old in 2021. It's not like they supported V with a full team and a ton of content the entire time.

Games like MHW and DMC5 took them 4-5 years to make from the ground up.

Having the main team working away on the sequel for a few years now makes sense.

Definitely would argue DS has way more potential for mass appeal than RS. There are plenty of people who are immediately turned off by a game based around teenage characters.

It's the other way around I'd say and most people have no idea who DS characters are aside from maybe Morrigan.

And RS isn't just about students but about teachers etc. as well. You can have older staff no prob.

Imagine a teacher Chun Li or a janitor Ryu in there. Or Dante as school principal with Vergil as a rival principal from another school lol.

So many possibilities for the roster and cross overs.

Last edited:

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, I believe it. Good catch tho. Reveal at CC 2020. Hopefully it's been cooking for a bit. Seth is definitely the final SFV character

Oct 25, 2017
It's the other way around I'd say and most people have no idea who DS characters are aside from maybe Morrigan.

And RS isn't just about students but about teachers etc. as well. You can have older staff no prob.

Imagine a teacher Chun Li or a janitor Ryu in there. Or Dante as school principle with Vergil as a rival principal from another school lol.

So many possibilities for the roster and cross overs.
At the point where the game's appeal is coming from crossover characters and not the roster itself, you may as well make a crossover game altogether.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My personal wish is that they give Street Fighter a break and develop a new Fighting Game IP. And in doing so, support both titles throughout Capcom Cup.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At the point where the game's appeal is coming from crossover characters and not the roster itself, you may as well make a crossover game altogether.

It's coming from the overall potential, both from original and crossover characters.

Familiarity is always a great way to get people interested and would be a great hook for a series that has been dead this long.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

SF6 vanilla is not going to be as pathetic of a package SF5 vanilla, but because the game will be around for the entire generation you can pretty much expect a bare-bones minimal launch

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It'd have to be revealed sooner than Capcom Cup 2020 is it's gonna be out in time for the 2021 CPT.
Hmm that is true but I now I feel like that's way to soon. They'd have to show it at E3 or Evo and have it ready by Feb/March 2021. Seems crazy soon to reveal.