• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Yo that would be amazing. But still to do it well it would need some budget.

panda-zebra

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 28, 2017
I just had a cold chill recalling relentless early random encounters, but I'd bite, maybe even if it was a reimagining.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Sequel? They should just start from scratch if they're doing it. I didn't think the game was all that good, but there's potential there if they reenvision it. The general idea is a good one that could be nurtured.

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This plus Jet Set Radio, plus still holding out that Bluepoint's trolling asses are working on Legend of Dragoon. I can only dream.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
that person isn't at sega anymore seemingly. maybe he can license it from sega like shenmue and space channel 5

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A sequel to a 20 years old game is NEVER gonna be good.

Prove me wrong.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
I'd love a full-fledged sequel, but I can't help but feel it would be a pretty big disappointment -- [side-eyes the various Valkyria Chronicles sequels].

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
According to who? I'd want a remake!

It has to be a remake or don't bother. As I said above the game wasn't all that good even when it came out, so it damn sure won't hold up now. A remaster would only serve to remind people that the game was sub-par and get them less excited, which is what I believe happened to Shenmue 3. By re-releasing Shenmue 1&2 people were able to play that and go, "Hey, nostalgia really painted my perception of this game it really doesn't hold up at all." Remasters only really shine if the game being remastered was actually good to begin with.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the few JRPGs I've ever liked so I would be down for a sequel. Sega should probably put out an HD remaster first.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Not really sure if I trust them to do a satisfying follow-up; a remaster though--give it to me yesterday!

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
I don't quite know how to feel. On the one hand, more Skies of Arcadia is welcomed, but on the other, there's not much to expand upon for a sequel after the end of the game.

Endymion

Oct 27, 2017
Sequel could be cool, but so much of the magic of the original (at least to me) was how the excellent soundtrack, optimism, and sense of discovery worked in concert. I'm not sure the sense of discovery could be replicated, especially if it went for higher-end graphics.

I'd definitely be down for a remaster though -- give me the Dreamcast quality soundtrack, Gamecube extras, and make the battle system a little less crappy.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
It has to be a remake or don't bother. As I said above the game wasn't all that good even when it came out, so it damn sure won't hold up now. A remaster would only serve to remind people that the game was sub-par and get them less excited, which is what I believe happened to Shenmue 3. By re-releasing Shenmue 1&2 people were able to play that and go, "Hey, nostalgia really painted my perception of this game it really doesn't hold up at all." Remasters only really shine if the game being remastered was actually good to begin with.
Uh, what are you talking about? Skies of Arcadia was good then and good now. The first time I got into it was probably only around 5 years ago too, and I enjoyed it far more than any FF game. The only improvement I'd hope for in a remaster/remake would be a reduction in the random battle encounter rate, which is an easy fix.

As for Shenmue III, it's much worse game than Shenmue I & II, and Shenmue as a franchise has always catered to a niche fanase. SoA is a traditional jrpg, so it wouldn't face that type of hurdle, especially if a sequel is internally developed.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I just had a cold chill recalling relentless early random encounters, but I'd bite, maybe even if it was a reimagining.

I had a trick for this when I had my GameCube, I would hear thr disc drive start making noises as it was prepping for the encounter.
I just had to hit the "open" button on the top of the console to expose the disc and it wouldn't load the encounter 😂

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Uh, what are you talking about? Skies of Arcadia was good then and good now. The first time I got into it was probably only around 5 years ago too, and I enjoyed it far more than any FF game. The only improvement I'd hope for in a remaster/remake would be a reduction in the random battle encounter rate, which is an easy fix.

As for Shenmue III, it's much worse game than Shenmue I & II, and Shenmue as a franchise has always catered to a niche fanase. SoA is a traditional jrpg, so it wouldn't face that type of hurdle, especially if a sequel is internally developed.
I'd argue battles need more of an overhaul than just reducing random encounters. It was weird even at the time how there was relevance to where you were standing but no real control over it. After something like Grandia, it was a weird mix of features without fully committing to a style.
I love the game though and would love an updated version.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
but yeah nothing will happen if Sega doesn't do anything

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_n7c2ye4Kx61sq67v0o2_r1_400.gifv

Do it sega!

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
I'd argue battles need more of an overhaul than just reducing random encounters. It was weird even at the time how there was relevance to where you were standing but no real control over it. After something like Grandia, it was a weird mix of features without fully committing to a style.
I love the game though and would love an updated version.
I agree the positioning aspect wasn't clearly defined, but I think overall the combat was fun for what it was (especially the ship battles), and the game itself is too easy to make the battle system worth overhauling. Now for a sequel, i can get behind doing something like that.

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
I remember my DC copy being corrupt and waiting 2 years for the Gamecube version so I could finish it. Finish it I did, and it turned out I absolutely hated the game.