• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
I'll try not to get my hope's up, but man that would be incredible. Maybe a remake of Skies of Arcadia Legends to start, and then make a follow up afterwards.

Oct 25, 2017
A sequel would be wondeful, but I won't dare and hope for it yet.

Just gimme an HD remaster of SoA1 on modern hardware woth QoL touches. Specifically, shit to alleviate random encounters.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I'd buy a sequel. Make it happen Sega

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
It's nice to want things. I'd buy a sequel, though.

A remaster would be nice, but like 30 people would probably actually buy it.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Good lord, I'd buy this immediately... Kinda makes me wanna fire the original up on Dreamcast now

OldGamer

Jul 6, 2019
A remake/remaster is definitely in order to make this happen.

I also really liked the game aside from that blob creature. It was also a little derivative of One Piece, which I didn't mind.

The Switch would make the most sense because the first game was actually re-released on the Gamecube and I have a feeling that is the version most remember.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I had a trick for this when I had my GameCube, I would hear thr disc drive start making noises as it was prepping for the encounter.
I just had to hit the "open" button on the top of the console to expose the disc and it wouldn't load the encounter 😂
Never played that version, but didn't the GC port have reduced random encounters? I think with the Dreamcast original, this technique was a thing where you listened to disc activity and hit the menu button to stop the encounter from happening.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Man. I remember I was really enjoying Arcadia until that part with the tornados. The random encounter rate there was so absurdly high that I started running from combat constantly and COMPLETELY broke my ability to recruit Ryukan and get the ultimate weapons. I was so pissed off I rage quit the game like a few hours before the ending.

I would be okay with a sequel as long as they get the encounter rate under control. Shit was nonsense.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Yeah, the Gamecube version had a corrected encounter rate. There were a lot less of them, and I think they also rebalanced experience to account for the reduced amount of random combat.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
oh please god yes

Man. I remember I was really enjoying Arcadia until that part with the tornados. The random encounter rate there was so absurdly high that I started running from combat constantly and COMPLETELY broke my ability to recruit Ryukan and get the ultimate weapons. I was so pissed off I rage quit the game like a few hours before the ending.

I would be okay with a sequel as long as they get the encounter rate under control. Shit was nonsense.

Did you play on Dreamcast or Legends? iirc they reduced the encounter rate for the Gamecube release.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't quite know how to feel. On the one hand, more Skies of Arcadia is welcomed, but on the other, there's not much to expand upon for a sequel after the end of the game.

There's the entire world below, a new and mysterious continent that sprung up, unsolved mysteries that were simply static discoveries rather than explorable locations, the black moon stone, and possibly space travel. I think the world of Arcadia has a loooot to explore. It was originally meant to be SEGA's successor to pre-Online era Phantasy Star, so there were probably a ton of ideas about where it could go next before it got shelved because of a million problems SEGA went through at the time and the Dreamcast's untimely demise.

I also don't know exactly how much we need a remake/port (though one is very welcome) of the original game, considering that part of the appeal of a sequel is that you don't need to base it off of the story of the first game. Just the world and all of its mysteries that can still be explored. I also feel like it shouldn't be too hard to get the gang back together for it, considering the main artist, musician, and directors all collaborated with Wayo Records to release an amazing vinyl last year.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I got very emotional when the FFVII remake was announced. The only announcements that would match or surpass that for me would be a Xenogears remake, or Skies of Arcadia sequel.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Shit yes please,
Please not only bring out a sequel, but re-release the original across all platforms. This game would likely do great on PC and consoles.

Skies of Arcadia is easily one of Sega's best IPs, I would love to see another one. Please bring it back Sega!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
hoo boy, you couldn't imagine the Dreamcast version, then. literally an encounter every 3 or 4 seconds in that section.

It was roughly the same on GameCube. You know the NPC near Ryukan that tells you how many fights you ran away from? I racked up a surplus of over THREE HUNDRED escapes because I was stuck (read: lost) in the tornado section for multiple hours trying to find a way out and constantly running away from battles.

I would've had to spend ten or so hours just grinding random battles to get to a point where Ryukan respected me enough to join my crew. So I quit.

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love a sequel, even just a remake/remaster would make me happy. Skies of Arcadia is a classic.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The encounter rate is definitely one of the sticking points with replaying the game nowadays, though the white map can alleviate the problem. Of course, partway through the game, you also get the ability to fly over/under the clouds and there are absolutely zero encounters there. Once you make it that far, you can finally be free.

As a current owner, I can safely say it is amazing. New original artwork and comments from the original artists and devs. It also comes in a CD version if you don't really do vinyl, though I'm not sure if that version has the book and stuff. There's also a very expensive music box.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was roughly the same on GameCube. You know the NPC near Ryukan that tells you how many fights you ran away from? I racked up a surplus of over THREE HUNDRED escapes because I was stuck (read: lost) in the tornado section for multiple hours trying to find a way out and constantly running away from battles.

I would've had to spend ten or so hours just grinding random battles to get to a point where Ryukan respected me enough to join my crew. So I quit.

That...uh, sucks. I think it's normally only about an 8 minute traversal even with the battles. :/

Also, it's a totally optional recruitment and the end of the game is fantastic. Kind of a bummer you didn't see it through.

As a current owner, I can safely say it is amazing. New original artwork and comments from the original artists and devs. It also comes in a CD version if you don't really do vinyl, though I'm not sure if that version has the book and stuff. There's also a very expensive music box.

Yeah, I ordered it without hesitating (goodbye $80). I bought the Panzer Dragoon Saga OST reissue on vinyl a couple years back, as well.

Akasaki

Oct 27, 2017
Can you imagine the full open skies of SoA totally remade with today's technology? My god remake the first one please and then go from there!

Plus the OST had some extremely good songs too. I need this now.

Last edited:

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
tumblr_inline_nt5r8tImv81r70cn0_500.gif

Bring it.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Skies of Arcadia being a one-off is one of the great missed opportunities of video games.

I'd love to see a sequel or a remaster of the original. Though not necessarily a direct sequel, we kind of already explored Arcadia. A Skies of [Location] game would be fine as a sequel, too, much like the Tales series does it.

Apr 24, 2018
Can we get a remake in UE4 first though?

These games are way too big for Kickstarter, I thought you guys learned the lesson with Shenmue 3. Skies of Arcadia deserves to look like a modern AAA game with a proper budget.
I only meant if Kickstarter is the only option. I'd love for it to be picked up by Sega/a large publisher that can provide a large budget. Or a mix of the two, somewhat like Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. I still hum the title screen and battle themes from Skies of Arcadia every every now and again and I absolutely want to see a potential sequel/remake/whatever done justice.