• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

megachao24

Oct 25, 2017
Don't be so pessimistic :).
Sega will handle a Sakura Wars for the first time in the west (it was NIS for the previous one) and they even allowed a 1up Arcade cab with Golden Axe RODA.
Did you hear that ? Golden Axe Revenge of fucking Death Adder ! As if Streets of Rage, Chu Chu Rocket or Panzer Dragoon were making a comeback. Oh wait !
*sweats*
Hope springs Eternal (Arcadia)!

Soltis

Feb 28, 2019
United States
I loved Skies of Arcadia so much. I think it might've been my first RPG? I remember leaving Valua for the first time and being amazed that there was more story to unfold.

I don't quite know how to feel. On the one hand, more Skies of Arcadia is welcomed, but on the other, there's not much to expand upon for a sequel after the end of the game.

I mean, it depends. While I think the story of the main cast wrapped up nicely, I think there's more they could do with the world.

At the end of the game, the most powerful countries are recovering from devastating blows (one country having recovered more than the other). More than one "lost" or unknown civilization is brought into contact with the wider world. Exploring how these groups interact with each other in the new, interconnected world could, I think, make good material for a sequel.

Other material that could be further explored in a sequel:
- What happened to the people of the Purple Moon?
- What's the deal with the Black Moon?
- If they decided to go the route of a prequel, a la Baten Kaitos Origins, they could also explore the Old World, creation of the Gigas, etc.

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
Omg YES PLEASE! This needs to happen. I'm already getting Streets of Rage 4 this year. A new Skies announcement would make 2020 complete.

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019
I only have one condition, spend all the money that is necessary and take all the time that is needed. DO IT!

Brunire

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I loved Skies of Arcadia so much. I think it might've been my first RPG? I remember leaving Valua for the first time and being amazed that there was more story to unfold.

I mean, it depends. While I think the story of the main cast wrapped up nicely, I think there's more they could do with the world.

At the end of the game, the most powerful countries are recovering from devastating blows (one country having recovered more than the other). More than one "lost" or unknown civilization is brought into contact with the wider world. Exploring how these groups interact with each other in the new, interconnected world could, I think, make good material for a sequel.

Other material that could be further explored in a sequel:
- What happened to the people of the Purple Moon?
- What's the deal with the Black Moon?
- If they decided to go the route of a prequel, a la Baten Kaitos Origins, they could also explore the Old World, creation of the Gigas, etc.

Oh, this could be gooooood.

Apr 21, 2018
Games were a LOT cheaper to make back then dude.

Don't be disingenuous.
Your first post was about the impossibility to see a sequel...

Don't know why we are now talking about the budget ?But ok.

Skies of Arcadia 2 is clearly possible and my remark about the staff of the original game is only to prove it wasn't a huge budget, that's all. Yeah, it was beautiful (Dreamcast hardware was magical) but one year later, Square soft released FFX with ten times more developers. (15 vs more than 100)

It's not like Skies of Arcadia 2 would need 200 people. Many of us would be satisfied with a Valkyria Chronicles 4 budget. (Or recycling Project Sakura Wars assets).

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
(Or recycling Project Sakura Wars assets).

I honestly thought they'd go that route anyway and perfectly fine with it.
Just keep in mind that PSW is not a "AAA" game.
I don't have a problem eithe and I loved PSW but it seems that many japanese people didn't have the same feelings
and they complained about the game not being fully voiced for example.

So if Sega uses similar strategies for each of the revival projects expect the budget to be pretty tight.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
If they need to recycle assets, they could look at the Skies of Arcadia track in Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed:

That final all-flying lap where you chase the Delphinus around the track is so good.

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
I strongly want a remake/remaster/re-release so i can finally put my Wii to rest. PLEASE.

Fool

Banned
May 2, 2018
Day 1 for anything SoA related. It deserves a second (I guess technically third) chance.

Arcana Wiz

Oct 26, 2017
Man. I remember I was really enjoying Arcadia until that part with the tornados. The random encounter rate there was so absurdly high that I started running from combat constantly and COMPLETELY broke my ability to recruit Ryukan and get the ultimate weapons. I was so pissed off I rage quit the game like a few hours before the ending.

I would be okay with a sequel as long as they get the encounter rate under control. Shit was nonsense.

Even better.. no random encounters!

On the topic... I would love a SoA sequel/spiritual sucessor. This is one of the few games that scratched my Suikoden itch

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
I shilled this game so hard when I worked at Babbages, just like 100% unsolicited PLAY THIS MAN to anyone who'd listen.

Doubt they'd be able to pull off that secret sauce early 00's Dreamcast vibe with a sequel tho. It was just the perfect game to showcase the DC and also thematically - exploring new frontiers and enthusiastic wonderment that I think Sega had for the console. There should just be a lovingly remastered version for a bunch of platforms. Also tired of having to use Reicast, OC'ing my Switch when I wanna revisit it.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
I would take any product revisiting this. Remaster, remake, full on sequel- Gimme! Its criminal this isn't available to play in some form on any console from the past 10 years.

Even just a simple conversion like the old Shenmue games got would be fine. Just throw in some battle QoL- a simple fast forward option to speed through the encounters would be perfect.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
There's the entire world below, a new and mysterious continent that sprung up, unsolved mysteries that were simply static discoveries rather than explorable locations, the black moon stone, and possibly space travel. I think the world of Arcadia has a loooot to explore. It was originally meant to be SEGA's successor to pre-Online era Phantasy Star, so there were probably a ton of ideas about where it could go next before it got shelved because of a million problems SEGA went through at the time and the Dreamcast's untimely demise.

I also don't know exactly how much we need a remake/port (though one is very welcome) of the original game, considering that part of the appeal of a sequel is that you don't need to base it off of the story of the first game. Just the world and all of its mysteries that can still be explored. I also feel like it shouldn't be too hard to get the gang back together for it, considering the main artist, musician, and directors all collaborated with Wayo Records to release an amazing vinyl last year.
Signed the petition and this CD is winging its way to me. Thank you so much for making me aware of it via this thread. And it's out of stock now - that was a close call.

Apr 21, 2018
I shilled this game so hard when I worked at Babbages, just like 100% unsolicited PLAY THIS MAN to anyone who'd listen.

Doubt they'd be able to pull off that secret sauce early 00's Dreamcast vibe with a sequel tho. It was just the perfect game to showcase the DC and also thematically - exploring new frontiers and enthusiastic wonderment that I think Sega had for the console. There should just be a lovingly remastered version for a bunch of platforms. Also tired of having to use Reicast, OC'ing my Switch when I wanna revisit it.
Hope Sega will gather again Reiko Kodama and Shuntaro Tanaka who are both still working in the company. (Kodama produced the 7th Dragons and Tanaka directed the first Valkyria Chronicles)

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
I'd love for a sequel that builds off the lore hooks and time skip potential (while introducing a new cast and conflict...maybe the big bads would instigate climate change to take over Arcadia this time). But we desperately need an HD remaster to reintroduce the game to new players and those who couldn't enjoy the game because of its encounter rate. Adding turbo controls, encounter rate adjustment, and other QoL features would massively improve this already great adventure. Beyond that, a remaster could also mean an improved localization, should SEGA deem that feasible within their budget and sales expectations. Any chance to get a definitive multi-platform, sustainable version of Skies of Arcadia should get top priority.

Until then, I'll continue to play it via Dolphin and wonder what's up with the Black Moon.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love a remaster of SoA first. I do have the Gamecube game and a working Wii (I think, it's been awhile since I've fired it up). But would definitely purchase a remaster if they made one.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
At least rerelease the original for everything out now.

I don't need a sequel to be a AAA visual masterpiece. Just bringing the visuals up to Shenmue 3 is would be more than good enough for me.

Apr 21, 2018
I don't need a sequel to be a AAA visual masterpiece. Just bringing the visuals up to Shenmue 3 is would be more than good enough for me.
That's what I thought. Many of us would be fine with that kind of models as long it's colorful, stylish with great soundtrack.
skies-of-arcadia-valkyrie.jpg

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Its honestly baffling we haven't seen a SoA remaster yet. It should have come to XBLA back when they ported Sonic Adventure and Jet Set Radio.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
God I need a remaster. Or just any way to play the original. I'm still kicking myself in the ass for selling my gamecube copy.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017

I think it's possible with the right team and budget. Doesn't have to be an FFXV-level production.

I haven't played DQXI but that looks like a more fitting style to aim for with something like SOA.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
sega listening to those who actively come to them saying they will foot the bill of a port of legends to modern consoles, instead of dismissing them out of hand wouldn't be a bad start.

they don't think it'll be profitable to handle on their own - or at least, the opportunity cost isn't worth it in their eyes. but turning down offers from another company to run the risk for them is maddening.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
SOme indiependent dev wants to make a sequel. Sega, you been good at that, at least.