• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Got a question. I saw that The Rise of the Dragon released today, but I'm a little confused as to what exactly it is. Is it basically the first portion of Fire & Blood except with illustrations, or is the text different from that of Fire & Blood despite (seemingly) covering a lot of the same story material?

I'm half-tempted to pick up either TRotD or F&B to go along with the main ASoIaF books I ordered yesterday, House of the Dragon spoilers be damned, but I'm not sure which one I should pick up. I understand the co-authors of TRotD are, well, pieces of shit, but I wasn't sure if the text between the two books is mostly similar, or which one is preferred to read. (If anyone even knows yet, since TRotD just released today). If TRotD is missing things from F&B, then I'll go for the latter, but if it's basically "a chunk of F&B but with pretty pictures" then I'll pick it up. Though between the co-authors not being great and the book costing a lot more than F&B, I wouldn't be upset to hear that it isn't worth it lol...

EDIT: I think I found my answer? It sounds like TRotD covers much of the same material, but is written as more of an encyclopedia than a history book? Is that right?

Last edited:

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Got a question. I saw that The Rise of the Dragon released today, but I'm a little confused as to what exactly it is. Is it basically the first portion of Fire & Blood except with illustrations, or is the text different from that of Fire & Blood despite (seemingly) covering a lot of the same story material?

I'm half-tempted to pick up either TRotD or F&B to go along with the main ASoIaF books I ordered yesterday, House of the Dragon spoilers be damned, but I'm not sure which one I should pick up. I understand the co-authors of TRotD are, well, pieces of shit, but I wasn't sure if the text between the two books is mostly similar, or which one is preferred to read. (If anyone even knows yet, since TRotD just released today). If TRotD is missing things from F&B, then I'll go for the latter, but if it's basically "a chunk of F&B but with pretty pictures" then I'll pick it up. Though between the co-authors not being great and the book costing a lot more than F&B, I wouldn't be upset to hear that it isn't worth it lol...

EDIT: I think I found my answer? It sounds like TRotD covers much of the same material, but is written as more of an encyclopedia than a history book? Is that right?

Don't get TRotD. It's a cashgrab by Linda Antonsson, a racist hatemonger. GRRM has nothing to do with it.

Much better off getting F&B proper.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Don't get TRotD. It's a cashgrab by Linda Antonsson, a racist hatemonger. GRRM has nothing to do with it.

Much better off getting F&B proper.
Thanks. Was leaning toward that after reading that TRotD is basically just a condensed retelling of F&B. I think I'll just get F&B, and then check out the illustrations from TRotD later once they're online.

Just wish my copy of AGoT would get here sooner, Amazon is saying it won't arrive until next week šŸ˜«

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoying Fire & Blood so far. I wasn't sure if I would like it or not since I'd heard it described as more like a history book, but it still does a great job of painting enough of a picture to get specific details in your head while also letting your imagination run wild. Granted, I'm barely twenty pages in and it's a ~700-page-long book, but still. Glad I picked it up, think I'll end up reading it before AGoT. (Which still hasn't even shipped yet šŸ˜”)

Side note:
Aegon and his sisters would've been fucked without their dragons lol. That's my big takeaway from this so far. Sure, they seem fairly smart with the moves they made, but without Balerion and the other two, they wouldn't have been able to get anywhere near the amount of support from the various lords that they did.

Also, gotta say: the World of Ice and Fire app is really coming in handy for helping me get a clear idea of where everything is happening. Love this thing.

Last edited:

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoying Fire & Blood so far. I wasn't sure if I would like it or not since I'd heard it described as more like a history book, but it still does a great job of painting enough of a picture to get specific details in your head while also letting your imagination run wild. Granted, I'm barely twenty pages in and it's a ~700-page-long book, but still. Glad I picked it up, think I'll end up reading it before AGoT. (Which still hasn't even shipped yet šŸ˜”)

Side note:
Aegon and his sisters would've been fucked without their dragons lol. That's my big takeaway from this so far. Sure, they seem fairly smart with the moves they made, but without Balerion and the other two, they wouldn't have been able to get anywhere near the amount of support from the various lords that they did.

Also, gotta say: the World of Ice and Fire app is really coming in handy for helping me get a clear idea of where everything is happening. Love this thing.
I mean, every Targaryen is doomed without dragons. See: the Mad King

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I was crushed to learn that Steven Attewell, the incredible writer & historian behind Race for the Iron Throne, passed away the other day after a second bout with cancer.

His Chapter-by-Chapter analyses, where he delved deeply into each chapter, the historical parallels, what ifs, and book v show comparisons, were absolutely brilliant. As were all his other essays linked on his blog, including analyses on the historical development of each of the Seven Kingdoms, the tenures of and differences between several Hands of the King, etc.

He was also a prolific Tumblr poster, with countless in-depth Q&A essays on topics ranging from ASOIAF, to history of public policy & labor, to comic books, and all the intersections thereof.

Just an incalculable loss. Terribly sad he'll never get to read or write about TWOW. RIP.