• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I am reaching the breaking point of just watching the show. I haven't been actively waiting, like I used to, for years, but with the show's ending upon us I feel more and more spoilers will come out.

Should I hold strong? Should I give in?

Any other book-only fans wavering?
Honestly i hardly think the books are going to end exactly like the show but i've seen even serie sonly people complaining about last episode lol wait for the books

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Can I request that when the GoT TV series ends that someone here make a thread listing all the key differences and things missing from the book?

Lady Stoneheart, Mance still being alive, the horn that can enslave dragons, the horn that can bring down the wall, etc. Not every little thing, just major plot differences and cool worldbuilding stuff.
That thread would be encyclopedia-long
this is the price we pay for years of fucking with show-only people
I never did that because I didn't want to be dick. And now I almost regret it, think of all the fun I could have had trolling them :P

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Based on show-only events and other miscellaneous hints, its fun to make speculation on what will happen in the books.

For example, I was thinking about Theon based on what happened on the episode last night, and
He's totally dead by early TWOW, right? I feel like they gave Victarion's plot to Theon (in terms of bringing Dany to Westeros) and based the preview chapter from TWOW, he will surely be executed by Stannis soon. In general his book arc feels finished and there's a real sense of finality in that chapter.

Also worth mentioning than Theon is just not as big of a character in the books, his role seems to have been greatly expanded in the show.

Kahoots

Feb 15, 2018
Theon will get dragged before a heart tree for execution and Bran will somehow magically communicate he wishes Theon to be spared and the northerners will respect the communication as the will of the old gods. And so will begin the practice of the north dragging prisoners to a heart tree for judgement.

Theon will live, Jon will become KITN, Euron will use up his Ironborn and those that survived will limp back to the Iron Islands. Jon will March south on the iron throne and Theon will have a second chance to pledge his support to a brother of Winterfell in the march south.

Asha will probably lead the Ironborn but Theon will be given some command. The Twins will be Jon's first problem and Theon knows this better than anyone living having been there for Robb's failures there. From the Islands Theon will land at Seagard and carry longships overland (Harwyn Hoare) to the Twins so that Jon may Cross the trident at will and besiege the castle on both sides.

The twins will fall to Jon thanks greatly to Theon. Theon will likely die later defending Jon.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Theon will get dragged before a heart tree for execution and Bran will somehow magically communicate he wishes Theon to be spared and the northerners will respect the communication as the will of the old gods. And so will begin the practice of the north dragging prisoners to a heart tree for judgement.

Theon will live, Jon will become KITN, Euron will use up his Ironborn and those that survived will limp back to the Iron Islands. Jon will March south on the iron throne and Theon will have a second chance to pledge his support to a brother of Winterfell in the march south.

Asha will probably lead the Ironborn but Theon will be given some command. The Twins will be Jon's first problem and Theon knows this better than anyone living having been there for Robb's failures there. From the Islands Theon will land at Seagard and carry longships overland (Harwyn Hoare) to the Twins so that Jon may Cross the trident at will and besiege the castle on both sides.

The twins will fall to Jon thanks greatly to Theon. Theon will likely die later defending Jon.

Doubt it. I don't see Jon as someone who will want to fight in any war in the south, other than free Winterfell. As the south fights each other, he'll be focusing back on the north where the true threat lies, to continue where Stannis failed. Winterfell just becomes the big support center for the wall and the Night's Watch and eventually Jon must find allies among those fighting each other south, to save the Seven Kingdoms from the Others, but doing so then gets entangled in their conflicts after the Other threat is dealt with.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Based on show-only events and other miscellaneous hints, its fun to make speculation on what will happen in the books.
I've speculated that Lady Stoneheart will be the one responsible for House Frey's annihilation, since we know the Frey Pie already happened in another context so Arya won't do it that way, if she's even involved (though she might be in some other way).

Some have speculated that the Wall would come down due to use of Euron's horn. I'm not sure myself but perhaps his horn is indeed the Horn of Joramun, rather than a dragon-controlling one, somehow?

I don't know if GRRM confirmed the existence of an undead dragon or not, but he is fond of ice dragons so.... I'm sure it's gonna happen in some way. Perhaps after the Wall comes down, the Others march south, and one of them eventually kills (and revives) Viserion.

Do we think Cersei's revenge in King's Landing will happen in some form? Will she regain power thanks to Robert Strong and Qyburn and burn/blow up the sept, killing off a bunch of Tyrells, and retake the crown? I think it could happen, but probably not how the show made it happen (we already know Margaery is on trial, not Loras, for one). It's possible they intended to echo Nero's burning of Rome and his blaming of it on religious fanatics, so perhaps GRRM will play that angle, and do that to help Cersei retake power more convincingly than the show presented it.

I also doubt Tommen dies by suicide. He's too young for it to make sense. Maybe Cersei's incompetence in that wildfire plot is what gets him killed. As for Myrcella, I could see some rogue Dornish faction poisoning her, but it seems cowardly from the Sand Snakes, so maybe not by them. We know Darkstar only disfigured her. Maybe he'll try again.

Does Sansa and the Vale knights come to help retake Winterfell in some way? Is Stannis still around then?

What happens to Robb's letter that Maege Mormont brought to Greywater Watch?
Is R+J=L really revealed by a dusty septon note in the Citadel + Bran vision, or is Howland Reed involved in some way?

What will happen to Jaime? Brienne is being coerced into luring him in a trap by Lady Stoneheart, but perhaps she will somehow protect him.

So many questions...

Kahoots

Feb 15, 2018
Doubt it. I don't see Jon as someone who will want to fight in any war in the south
Jon will not want to fight a war in the south, he will have to fight a war in the south as the south is not going to come willingly to fight the Others in the north and he will not be able to win TWFTD without a realm united in that cause. Daeron the Young Dragon and Jon's hero marched south in war to consolidate the realm. Jon's brother Robb, KITN, the Young Wolf, marched south and never lost a battle. Jon is both a Young Wolf and Young Dragon.

It is a large part of Jon's arc, to fight and win and be in a position to take the throne but to refuse it, just as Ned didn't when he could have. Just as Cregan Stark didn't when he could have. Jon won't take the throne because his purpose will be to consolidate the realm, and the realm won't take him as their king, because he'll be believed a NW deserter and bastard. Instead when he takes the IT he'll do as Cregan did, have his Hour of the Wolf and install a king and queen that the realm will accept and fight for, and who are willing to call the banners to Jon's cause and follow him into TWFTD.

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly i hardly think the books are going to end exactly like the show but i've seen even serie sonly people complaining about last episode lol wait for the books

Thanks for the update. I guess last episode was not particularly well received then.

I'll hold out a bit longer.

OP
OP
louisacommie

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I think staniss beats the boltons and installs rickon as Lord of winterfell, jon gets ressurected becomes an asshole as his change but I think bran will communicate to come save him

Jaime lannister goes north and becomes the 1000th lord commander of the night's watch at some point after killing Cersei.

I think bran will learn greensight powers, use them a lot, learn the origins of the other, and learn about the past of Brendan rivers, specifically he had a student before that is euron, I think euron will be revealed to have greensight and be in league sith the others, I think euron will somehow destroy the warding leading the others attacking the cave, brynden dying, and hold the door

bran, meera, summer, and a bunch of the children of the forest will survive make it faer south but not white the wall when the others attack agian Jon will arrive kill an 9ther realise what dragon steel is

bran meera and some children along with summer make it to the wall

bran tells Jon r + l but they need proof from the crypt plus howland reed

that's all that happens in winds for the north and beyond the wall plot

though related Sansa married FAegon

And she wants him to "rescue" rickon from stannis but they don't have the mean to invade the north

north itself is conflicted on to follow queen Sansa or Stannis who saved them from the boltons and controls rickon.

shireen is not burned in winds

the 7th and not final book dany and y9ung griff have their dance but also have some attempts to make piece though all sabotaged, Sansa will convince FAegeon to make a peace offering if dany kills stannis l, mel burns shireen for some spell to kill the dragons, it onoy injures them but they survive, little finger ( who is the hand of the king and having a lot of infighting with varys) convinced FAegon while the dragons are injured now is the time to defeat dany and the targ civil war goes on.

eosos

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Quick question - are 'A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms' and 'The World of Ice & Fire' the only cannon books outside of the main series? I know 'Fire & Blood' exists, but im under the impression that it's the same as 'The World of Ice & Fire'.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I have no idea about is what role Arya will play if she ever gets her ass back to Westeros.

Quick question - are 'A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms' and 'The World of Ice & Fire' the only cannon books outside of the main series? I know 'Fire & Blood' exists, but im under the impression that it's the same as 'The World of Ice & Fire'.

All the books you mentioned are canon.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
One thing I have no idea about is what role Arya will play if she ever gets her ass back to Westeros.

Probably kill a bunch of Freys. Remember the Ghost of High Heart's comment about her, sounded like Arya would commit a massacre, and the burning of Summerhall was probably some revenge or sacrifice plot.

I think staniss beats the boltons and installs rickon as Lord of winterfell, jon gets ressurected becomes an asshole as his change but I think bran will communicate to come save him

Jaime lannister goes north and becomes the 1000th lord commander of the night's watch at some point after killing Cersei.

I think bran will learn greensight powers, use them a lot, learn the origins of the other, and learn about the past of Brendan rivers, specifically he had a student before that is euron, I think euron will be revealed to have greensight and be in league sith the others, I think euron will somehow destroy the warding leading the others attacking the cave, brynden dying, and hold the door

bran, meera, summer, and a bunch of the children of the forest will survive make it faer south but not white the wall when the others attack agian Jon will arrive kill an 9ther realise what dragon steel is

bran meera and some children along with summer make it to the wall

bran tells Jon r + l but they need proof from the crypt plus howland reed

that's all that happens in winds for the north and beyond the wall plot

though related Sansa married FAegon

And she wants him to "rescue" rickon from stannis but they don't have the mean to invade the north

north itself is conflicted on to follow queen Sansa or Stannis who saved them from the boltons and controls rickon.

shireen is not burned in winds

the 7th and not final book dany and y9ung griff have their dance but also have some attempts to make piece though all sabotaged, Sansa will convince FAegeon to make a peace offering if dany kills stannis l, mel burns shireen for some spell to kill the dragons, it onoy injures them but they survive, little finger ( who is the hand of the king and having a lot of infighting with varys) convinced FAegon while the dragons are injured now is the time to defeat dany and the targ civil war goes on.

I think Rickon will die, Davos probably ends up with Jon as a result of that. Sort of a duty to House Stark.

OP
OP
louisacommie

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

arya will kill lady stone heart

she will rescue Sansa and her kid(s) from getting killed by dany after FAegon dies

she will kill little finger for Sansa after he betrays FAegon and tries to defect to dany

she will have reunion with all the other stark kids

she will be involved in fighting the others but not kill the great other.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
According to Brynden B Fish, GRRM had a nearly completely TWOW novel in 2015 that he scrapped because it was substandard:

In the first half of 2015, GRRM apparently made a huge amount of progress on writing TWOW. However, the 2nd half of the year turned out to be not-so-successful. As to why that is: well ...

I received a very good tip that at the end of 2015, GRRM had a nearly-complete version of TWOW, but he was unsatisfied with it. So, he ended up deciding not to submit what he considered substandard work and ended up embarking on a massive rewrite.

So, take that for what it's worth. In 2019, it reads like whatever problems with the manuscript were structural and integral to the book itself. Yes, George wrote Fire and Blood and had other projects along the way. But a massive 3.5 year rewrite indicates to me that the problems with TWOW were substantial.

Edit: The good news is that recently, GRRM has been saying that the writing for TWOW has been going "very well", and that he's been "chained to his desk" by his assistants to write TWOW or up in his mountain cabin, hard at work on the book. So, one hopes that whatever structural or narrative issues he has been dealing with since 2015 has seen some resolution, and we're nearing the endgame (gotta get that SEO) Hope springs eternal.

OP
OP
louisacommie

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
hopefully we will be done with essos after winds and evrey pov will be in westeros only for the rest of the series until the epilogue

that probably won't matter for the writing speed.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how to feel about this.

tu2Raso.jpg

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
ADWD is good! He just cut the battles out which made it seem less good at the time but retroactively will be fine once the other books are out.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
According to Brynden B Fish, GRRM had a nearly completely TWOW novel in 2015 that he scrapped because it was substandard:
Edit: The good news is that recently, GRRM has been saying that the writing for TWOW has been going "very well", and that he's been "chained to his desk" by his assistants to write TWOW or up in his mountain cabin, hard at work on the book. So, one hopes that whatever structural or narrative issues he has been dealing with since 2015 has seen some resolution, and we're nearing the endgame (gotta get that SEO) Hope springs eternal.
Oh god, they'll really never stop saying this. Hahaha.

The guy has been dealing with severe structural problems for nearly 20 years now, it's not contained to any single book or plot thread, it's the whole damn thing.

Kahoots

Feb 15, 2018
Arya's immediate future.

Arya is currently at a loss, directionless with a hole inside her in place of a home. She longs for her wolf pack and loves her wolf dreams, signalling her loneliness as she completely lacks for relationships, friends or family. Sansa will go from the Vale to KL, it is Sansa's arc to play the game of thrones and KL is where it is played. Arya will join with her there, though Arya will not reveal her identity to Sansa she will become her cat's paw, that's what the FM training is for, and why GRRM said Arya won't necessarily be assassinating a heap of people back in westeros. Collect information and bring it back to base. She will be Sansa's eyes and ears in KL, doing as she's told, the leg work, providing her information and carrying out her plots as Sansa plays the game of thrones and works her way up.

Arya will at first be happy. Sansa will provide her direction and a place, and they'll be bringing down the enemies of House Stark, vengeance. Likely part of what Arya will do for Sansa is kill and assume the identity of Nymeria Sand so that she may infiltrate Aegon's small council.

Whatever the reason Arya will head to the Riverlands and to Stoneheart. Perhaps a mission from Sansa to clear it out so that she can manouver to have Edmure reinstated. Again Arya won't reveal her identity. She will observe Stoneheart and come to understand that it doesn't have the capacity for love, and without the capacity for love it's not really her mother. Stoneheart's incapacity for love will also mean she is merciless. Eventually Arya will reject Stoneheart's blanket justice and vengeance and help destroy her. The tipping point could be a judgement against one or both of Elmar Frey and Jeyne Westerling. Gendry will be part of the faction that helps destroy Stoneheart and impress with his bravery which will be witness by Arya, Brienne and Jaime.

Through the Stoneheart arc Arya will learn many things. The difference between vengeance and justice will become clearer, and importance of the differentiation. How important it is that the crown does justice, and the horrors that can occur when the common people lose faith in the crown to provide justice and turn to other means. Where a path of anger and hate leads. From where mercy originates.

Sansa will continue to manoeuvre in the background during the dance of dragons, which Dany will win. With Arya's help Sansa will play a part in orchestrating a popular rebellion by the people of KL against Dany. Possibly Arya assassinates the High Septon, as he will be in confrontation with Dany and Dany will be assumed the culprit. And/or she may take a role as a street preacher and preach against Dany, her foreign forces, gods and dragons. This will tear Arya in two, though she will do Sansa's bidding she will like Dany a lot and Sansa's campaign against her will not sit well.

In the aftermath of Dany being forced to flee KL the Faith will hold power in the city, and they will call a Great Council to decide the next king or queen. It will come down to Cersei against Tyrion and Sansa, and Arya will help Sansa win.

Eventually Arya is going to have to confront a hard truth, Sansa isn't in this for justice or any altruistic reasons, Sansa is playing the game of thrones for the sake of Sansa's own power. Arya will not have revealed herself to Sansa, and having won the throne Sansa will probably think it'd be in her best interest to kill off her cat's paw. It is LF's lesson, dead men tell no secrets. So probably Sansa tries to have cat's paw Arya killed but Arya survives. Anyway, however it comes about Arya will eventually abandon queen Sansa and leave for the north where KITN Jon now rules.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
It has been too long, I stumbled across a post that reminded me that Missandei was a 10 year old in the books and I had totally forgotten. Will need to read all the books again if TWOW ever gets a release date

Kahoots

Feb 15, 2018
Shit that has happened in the show that will not happen in the books. Not everything, just big stuff. Just so you all can't say you were never told.

Tyrion playing Sansa's happy helping Hand.
Tyrion is for Tyrion. He will come to ride Viserion and sit on the sidelines of the dance of dragons between Faegon and Dany, waiting to see which faction is going to win before committing. Dany will win and he'll try to buy his way in with her with blood (like handing over Jaime to her, or Cersei's children). He will however eventually turn on her as KL does.

Sansa yassssss queening it up north.
Sansa is not going north. Sansa's arc is pawn to player and KL is where the game is played. The north is Jon's training ground, the cave Bran's, Essos Arya's and the Vale with its mini political web is Sansa's. There is nothing for her arc in the north. Sansa will go from the Vale to KL and play in the background of the dance and in the aftermath, stirring shit between others and ingratiating herself (and her husband) to the realm's lords and Faith.

Dany and Jon romance
Dany is firstly going from Daario to Euron. She and Euron will be a couple, possibly married during the dance until he betrays her. Later, after she's been pushed off the throne by popular revolt she will head north and to Jon. She will eventually get Jon to fuck her, but Jon will not like her and she will have to trick him to make it happen. She will carry his child. They will not be an actual romantic couple.

Dany's dragons fighting the Others
Dany's dragons are all going to die (or in Drogon's case be turned into stone) before the Others arrive. That's the tragedy and the lesson, they will have had the weapons with which they could end the threat to all human existence but they wasted it fighting each other.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
One week left til we find out if all of my master predictions re: TWOW's release date being held for announcement following the series finale of GoT are true!

G E T H Y P E

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If we only get TWOW, I will be satisfied. Just need to know if Stannis defeats the Boltons and if Euron summons a Krakan to take down the Redwyne fleet, and I can die a happy man.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
And Barristan actor just said that both books are done, lol.

Anyway, I didn't read the leaked spoilers, but I have a feeling that Sansa will be the queen, and the show and the books will probably have the same ending in terms of where the main characters (Bran, Arya, Sansa, Jon, Tyrion and Daenerys) will end up. The books are slowly building her up to be a big player, I think it's possible.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
And Barristan actor just said that both books are done, lol.

Anyway, I didn't read the leaked spoilers, but I have a feeling that Sansa will be the queen, and the show and the books will probably have the same ending in terms of where the main characters (Bran, Arya, Sansa, Jon, Tyrion and Daenerys) will end up. The books are slowly building her up to be a big player, I think it's possible.

I don't believe him. He wouldn't have any clue as to that information.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
That's why I added "lol". It wouldn't make sense anyway. But it would be funny in a "you will be ashamed of your words and deeds" way.

Last edited: