• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kahoots

Feb 15, 2018
Pretty sure Tyrion's marriage will be used to further a divide between her, him and Dany.
I think he will regret backing Dany and spend his time trying to convince himself he can control her, while use her for his own ends subconsciously (taking Casterly Rock for one). Doubt he ever rides a dragon.
It is not Tyrion's role to play Dany's happy helper, Tyrion is for Tyrion and not to be trusted. Of course Tyrion is riding a dragon, GRRM straight-up named and coloured it for him back when the foreshadowing was overt because there was no (modern) internet and he was going to have the whole series wrapped up in a few books. On top of the usual more cryptic foreshadowing such as,
The white cyvasse dragon ended up at Tyrion's feet. He scooped it off the carpet and wiped it on his sleeve, but some of the Yunkish blood had collected in the fine grooves of the carving, so the pale wood seemed veined with red. "All hail our beloved queen, Daenerys." Be she alive or be she dead. He tossed the bloody dragon in the air, caught it, grinned.
"Salloreon, as it please my lord. If the King's Hand will permit, I should be most honored to forge him a suit of armor suitable to his House and high office." Two of the others sniggered, but Salloreon plunged ahead, heedless. "Plate and scale, I think. The scales gilded bright as the sun, the plate enameled a deep Lannister crimson. I would suggest a demon's head for a helm, crowned with tall golden horns. When you ride into battle, men will shrink away in fear."
It is how Tyrion takes the Vale, bloodlessly. It is why he dreamt of riding dragons and cried when he learnt they were all dead. It is why GRRM is driving the question of if A+J=T.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It is not Tyrion's role to play Dany's happy helper, Tyrion is for Tyrion and not to be trusted. Of course Tyrion is riding a dragon, GRRM straight-up named and coloured it for him back when the foreshadowing was overt because there was no (modern) internet and he was going to have the whole series wrapped up in a few books. On top of the usual more cryptic foreshadowing such as,

It is how Tyrion takes the Vale, bloodlessly. It is why he dreamt of riding dragons and cried when he learnt they were all dead. It is why GRRM is driving the question of if A+J=T.

I don't know. That armor sounds gold and red, Lannister colors. Demon head is just that, not any more lion than dragon.

If Tyrion uses a dragon or dragons for his own end, I think by the end of the story he will want them dead. Dragons = nukes, Tyrion will be tempted at first, but it won't last. Ride one? Doubt it, could happen, but I don't think he would stay on their side by the end of it.

Also him being a Targ bastard could just be to raise his inner conflict: turn away from the temptation or seize it. I think he'll reject it.

Kahoots

Feb 15, 2018
I don't know. That armor sounds gold and red, Lannister colors. Demon head is just that, not any more lion than dragon.

If Tyrion uses a dragon or dragons for his own end, I think by the end of the story he will want them dead. Dragons = nukes, Tyrion will be tempted at first, but it won't last. Ride one? Doubt it, could happen, but I don't think he would stay on their side by the end of it.

Also him being a Targ bastard could just be to raise his inner conflict: turn away from the temptation or seize it. I think he'll reject it.
Armour doesn't just accidentally sound like a dragon. A white dragon piece doesn't just happen to fall into Tyrion's hands without an intended subtext. One of Tyrion's first conversations in the series is about how he wished he could ride a dragon as a child and spent the night crying when he found out they were extinct. GRRM is a deliberate writer, this is what he is giving you. And Tyrion wouldn't use nukes? Have you read ADWD? GRRM is happy enough to tell you flat that Tyrion is his greatest villain. You really think the name Tyrion isn't purposefully derived from tyrant? Like that one just slipped through.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Armour doesn't just accidentally sound like a dragon. A white dragon piece doesn't just happen to fall into Tyrion's hands without an intended subtext. One of Tyrion's first conversations in the series is about how he wished he could ride a dragon as a child and spent the night crying when he found out they were extinct. GRRM is a deliberate writer, this is what he is giving you. And Tyrion wouldn't use nukes? Have you read ADWD? GRRM is happy enough to tell you flat that Tyrion is his greatest villain. You really think the name Tyrion isn't purposefully derived from tyrant? Like that one just slipped through.
All that can just be related to Tyrion meeting/allying/using Dany. And in GRRM's world, wanting something is more likely to prevent you from ever having it.

Edit: Like Arianne trying desperately to take control of her own future is likely to backfire.

Last edited:

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
I'm guessing Winds of Winter will come out next year.

The most immediate question I want to be answered is what is going to happen between Brienne, Jaime, and Lady Stoneheart.

After that, of course, Jon Snow's fate. But Brienne, Jaime, and Stoneheart are my biggest questions right now.

Nov 2, 2017
Two things: First, I'm shilling my fanfic. https://archiveofourown.org/works/18023759 I think it's pretty decent, and it's fairly well received for a story with (f?)Aegon as the main character. I'm a whore for comments, so just throwing myself out there.

Second: Couldn't find a dedicated art thread in the hangouts, so I'll just ask here.

If anyone knows any good GoT/ASoIaF artists, or even just artists who draw decent fantasy styled stuff, that are open for commissions and not extraordinarily expensive, let me know. I'm in the business for some art commissions, and am willing to drop a couple hundred bucks, but twitter sucks for looking things up, and tumblr is much less active since all the bs with yahoo.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I dont know, from a short glimpse it appeared that people dont really talk about Ser Duncan here :D

Its the first time I am exposed to something written by Martin and I really enjoy it so far, even when I am a bit bummed out that the announced stuff sounds a few times more interesting then the stuff we already have, but its ok. Gonna start with ASOIF after that.

Pokiehl

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah he really stopped right before we got into some interesting times. From what I hear he almost released the Winterfell story, but ran out of time. GAMEPROFF your the first person I've heard of to read D&E before ASOIAF. I think they it would be a nice introduction to the world

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Yeah he really stopped right before we got into some interesting times. From what I hear he almost released the Winterfell story, but ran out of time. GAMEPROFF your the first person I've heard of to read D&E before ASOIAF. I think they it would be a nice introduction to the world
I mean, I have seen the TV show and I was not that in a hurry to start the same story again and this was more or less a test if Martins writing appeals to me :D
Pretty good stuff, tho, and I figured the thing with Egg out before it was clearly communicated :D
I just hope that at some point the other storys will be released, all the stuff with the She-Wolfes of Winterfell and Duncan joining the Kingsguard sound super interesting to me.

Anyway, really excited to start ASOIF soon, it will still be a few days since I currently cant read that many pages everyday, but I am very interested to see all these differences between the show and the books. Lady Stoneheart, the griff, etc.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
How much is there about the Blackfyre Rebellions in Fire & Blood? Sounds like an interesting topic in the History of Westeros

greatgeek

Oct 25, 2017
How much is there about the Blackfyre Rebellions in Fire & Blood? Sounds like an interesting topic in the History of Westeros
Part I ends several decades before the First Blackfyre Rebellion. There is some broad-stroke detail in TWOIAF, but no lenghty narrative accounts like in Fire and Blood; all that information is probably on the wiki.

Just people throwing shit at a wall. To take just their first prediction of Sansa going north because she did in the show. Sansa's arc has long been recognised as pawn to player, the game is the Iron Throne and the board is in the south. Set up are Sansa's pawns.
  • Jaime for who Sansa is his last chance of honour.
  • Brienne who has declared a vow to Sansa's mother to keep her safe.
  • The newly devout Lancel, set to renounce every material item and become the Faith's highest recruit, who treated Sansa horribly only for Sansa to show him unwavering kindness. Has the info scoop on Sansa's enemy to be Cersei.
  • Sandor the reborn, his anger apparently quenched by the Seven just as Sansa prayed for, who she can't stop from invading her thoughts.
  • Tyrion, soon to be dragon rider, susceptible to the manipulations of young beautiful girls. GRRM locked them in marriage, which won't just disappear.
Cersei for her end game enemy, the Dance of Dragons to provide her the chaos in which to play as TWOT5Ks was to Littlefinger, and you got yourself a character arc and a story.

In the north there is Jon for whom Sansa has given about two lines of thought in the whole series, and fuck all else. The north is decidedly where not the game of thrones is played.
North is Sansa's home, and the place where her thoughts and desires invariably turn. Sansa doesn't care about the Iron Throne, she wants nothing to do with it.

And there certainly is plenty of politicking in the North (and in mobilizing the Vale and gaining control of its resources).

Cersei is definitely not Sansa's "end game enemy". Cersei is an imbecile who is in the process of destroying herself, and will soon be swept away by two different Targaryen invasions and the hand of her own brother.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
have you read dunk and egg?
Currently at it, but its set after it and its not showing the whole situation.
I actually read the parts of the second story today where the Lord Ser Duncan is serving under retells the his story of the rebellion and thats why I came to this thread. Everytime I come across something that tells something about the rebellions its getting very interesting and I would like to read a full fledged story about all of this.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Currently at it, but its set after it and its not showing the whole situation.
I actually read the parts of the second story today where the Lord Ser Duncan is serving under retells the his story of the rebellion and thats why I came to this thread. Everytime I come across something that tells something about the rebellions its getting very interesting and I would like to read a full fledged story about all of this.
Yeah, I agree fire blood part 2 will be what you want but who knows if he will ever finish that or the series in general :(

Pokiehl

Oct 29, 2017
While I would love for Fire and Blood II to come out soon I doubt it will be released before the end of ASOIAF. Parts of it will likely spoil some aspects of the main series so I think he will leave it for after.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
While I would love for Fire and Blood II to come out soon I doubt it will be released before the end of ASOIAF. Parts of it will likely spoil some aspects of the main series so I think he will leave it for after.

I feel GRRM release F&B precisely to cover some ground for ASOIAF on certain topics he won't have time to address in those books, but which will make more sense with F&B behind it, so I don't know, maybe. Could be used as a post-ASOIAF expo dump, or to cover some ground again before those books come out.

BTW, I've been thinking, maybe the show's ending is not the books' ending. I increasingly feel like D&D purposely ended the story where they felt it could end, and left the real ending for GRRM. Bran saying he'll look for Drogon, I feel, was put in precisely because D&D and HBO want to try and keep the overall lore aligned with the books so it doesn't become two different worlds and timelines on a longer time scale. So I wouldn't be surprised if in the books, Bran becomes king somehow, and THEN we go more story before it actually ends.

Last edited:

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
5cnlc7tj9e431.jpg

The last book is finally out.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
So I am taking my time with the first book, I am now at the part where Bran embraced the raven and agreed to fly, and the book and the show are still very similar.

Two observations:
A) The Daeny stuff is way more interesting then the Westeros plot, most likely because I could have just watched the show again and had not much lost
B) I really love how the direwolfs have personalities way more in line with their master. Makes that part way more interesting since this hardly translates to the show.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
Friendly reminder that we waited 11 years to find out what happened to Tyrion after A Storm of Swords. I'll wait forever if I need to.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
The good thing about reading asoif after you saw the show is, that you notice what a master planer Martin is.
All the hints towards Jons parentage already here are just great and I have never come across a writer were all of this stuff felt so natural and not forced our suddenly introduced in the last book.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
maybe fire and blood 2 doesn't get to aegon V?

for the record I also want to finish dunk and egg more than I want WoW, and I still really want WoW lol
Nah, I mean Martin had these plans for the upcoming Dunk and Egg stories:

Further working titles for future Dunk and Egg stories have been revealed by Martin.[14]
  • The Sellsword
  • The Champion
  • The Kingsguard
  • The Lord Commander

The chronology of these stories is as yet unknown, as well as if any other stories may take place in between them.

So maybe he is going to publish two stories each time, which would also make more sense publishing wise.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I mean Martin had these plans for the upcoming Dunk and Egg stories:

So maybe he is going to publish two stories each time, which would also make more sense publishing wise.
There are also the She-Wolves of Winterfell and I think one more? So when I saw your timeline, I just assumed that there are a lot more Dunk and Egg books after Fire and Blood 2, not that they see getting rid of some.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Almost done with A Game of Thrones and I really, really love his writing and cant wait for when the books and the show start to be more different.

I really enjoyed the parts were books gives some extended insight, for example, I always just saw Walder Frey as a cheap asshole, but his extended talk with Cat in the book where its become more clear that he is frustrated that the other lords of Westeros treat him like a big joke makes it at least partially more understandable why the Red Wedding happened, beside that Robb broke his promise.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Almost done with A Game of Thrones and I really, really love his writing and cant wait for when the books and the show start to be more different.

I really enjoyed the parts were books gives some extended insight, for example, I always just saw Walder Frey as a cheap asshole, but his extended talk with Cat in the book where its become more clear that he is frustrated that the other lords of Westeros treat him like a big joke makes it at least partially more understandable why the Red Wedding happened, beside that Robb broke his promise.

Yep, Walder Frey is a shithead. But, you understand why he did what he did and how grossly insulting Robb's move was towards him. The Freys have always been seen as upjumped toll collectors. Hoster Tully refused to arrange any sort of marriages between their two Houses and frequently mocked Walder Frey in the presence of other Lords. Frey thought he had finally managed to improve his family's standing by marrying his daughter to a King, then this boy King spits in his face and tries to salvage the event by marrying Frey's daughter to Edmure, his liege lord.

It's such an insult. Also, as terrible as Walder Frey is you later learn that he takes care of all his family members.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Today I learned that the Dragonstone from the book has a vulcano and a dragon statue and now I am salty that I didnt got that in the show.
The throne on Dragon Stone > The Iron Throne btw