• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Are these sometimes weird text passages a problem of my translation or were they straight from Martin? In the last few chapters there was out of place stuff like "And with this Bronn walked out of the room, out of the castle and out of Tyrions life". Its like I am suddenly reading something else.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Really not sure if I am that hot about all these weird new POV characters.
But it appears as if the book and the show now finally start to diverge more and more.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
You're in for a treat. I think it is underrated. So much left out from the show.
yeah, super excited for Lady Stoneheart and the griff, i imagine that they gonna add super interesting things to the whole dynamics. Espescially Daeny is in need of that IMO her chapters in the last book were a) kinda boring b) really few. But it appears overall that the focus of the plot moves now more to Essos, as a lot of the returning characters are moving to there.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the extra POV stuff. They're great world building. They're never the most substantial compared to the main characters but they add a lot of flavor and show how the chess pieces are moving.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Ok boys (and girls), this is the year. Winter is coming. I believe!

nJ2xvMU.gif

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
Mark my words, TWOW is coming this year. By Christmas I will be toasting to King Stannis for the liberation of Winterfell and the restoration of House Stark under Lord Rickon and Lord Jon.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Reminder from Geroge's blog in May

"But I tell you this — if I don't have THE WINDS OF WINTER in hand when I arrive in New Zealand for worldcon, you have here my formal written permission to imprison me in a small cabin on White Island, overlooking that lake of sulfuric acid, until I'm done. Just so long as the acrid fumes do not screw up my old DOS word processor, I'll be fine."

WorldCon is in July.

I know he's just joking around but we can still hope

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
I bought the Knight of the Seven Kingdoms paperback while on holiday in Germany. The illustrations are so beautiful and frankly a lot better than those in Fire and Blood (which has a very 'stiff' style of illustration I personally didn't enjoy).

I was being a little facetious before, but I do believe this is the year Winter comes. While George was obviously joking around about the Worldcon imprisonment, I doubt he'd say that if he wasn't somewhat confident about finishing it. He's been pretty silent on a potential release for years after coming clean about his writing struggles.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Only two more chapters left of ADWD. Was sad that Quentyn got torched. Barristan doing way more than the show is interesting too.

Not sure whether I'm going to read the Dunk and Egg stuff or Fire and Blood next.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
If anyone makes a thread with the title "GRRM announces date for newest book" or anything along those lines then they should be banned.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I did it! I finished ADWD and the main ASOIAF books. Started when the show ended and it took me until now to finish. Not a bad pace and hopefully it'll feel fresh in my mind when Winds of Winter comes out.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the Dunk & Egg stories are fantastic so far. Through the first two.

I really love how Martin manages to sneak so much history and world building into stories that have nothing to do with that history... and yet have everything to do with that history, if you know what I mean.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
The Sworn Sword is my favourite, but I love all three fairly equally.

This moment is what solidifies The Sword Sword as the best for me:

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Finished all the Dunk and Egg stories. I probably liked the first two best, but the third was indeed still great. I hope more come out.

Next I guess I'm on to Fire & Blood.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
Fire and Blood starts off a little dry, but around the reign of Maegor it becomes ridiculously engrossing.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I love how you get a better insight into Cercei in the books. In the show, you think she is your super evil monster but in the books, you see that she is just super paranoid and sees a threat to her and her family everywhere, which explains her actions far better

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
Great video. I've felt for a long time that the letter was written by Ramsay post-Battle of Ice and pre-Battle of Winterfell. I favour the theory that Stannis and his southron knights will disguise themselves as Frey's and smuggle themselves into Winterfell with the Manderly's, while his northern forces besiege the castle. The other lords will then wait for a signal and turn cloak, leaving the Bolton forces surrounded and trapped.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Almost done with the first half of a Feast for Crows and I am really not sure if I enjoy the way the POVs are split here locationwise was good idea.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Finished the first half of a Fest for Crowns and so far it was a bit meh. Not bad but not really amazing and the whole story was a bit hurt a lot by the fact that the characters with the most interesting status quo changes havent showed up yet. Stupid ass decision, I want to know whats going on in Essos so dearly.
In regards of the interlude Characters, I dont see the point. For now, most the time it was Victarion Greyjoy, so whats the matter for not making him a real POV character? Most of these were even unncessary, they could have just went with Yara. The Dorne Plot is still building up but is already feeling more interesting the the one from the show. Also I am curious of some weird ass decision like changing the Sansa chapters to Alanya Chapters. I know what he wants to with this change, I even noticed the sudden change back to Sansa when she remembered back to Winterfell shortly before the Lords of the declaration came to the Eyrie but its a bit weird to say at last. In the last two books, I didnt enjoyed the Arya parts much, it felt like her journey didnt had much meat and thought her parts were the most boring, but since she went to Braavos and joined the faceless man, its somewhat interesting, and may it just be because the whole tempel is IMO different enough from the show to get my attention.

The most interesting parts where the Cercei chapters. In the show, at some point she went just full evil and became a bit comicbookish, but I enjoy the introperspective on her and the realization, that she just became super fucking paranoid after Tywin died. I still dont like her at all, but I cheer whenever I get to a chapter of her.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Man, the Dorne plot is so much better in the book, it isnt even holy. But I am still not sure why they havent made Arianne a ordinary POV.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly ever felt that at some point of the show Brienne felt a bit without anything meaningful to do, but that cant have happened, right?

Brienne's story has several high stakes, action-packed segments. Unfortunately, because her POV is mostly a thematic slow burn, D&D didn't give a damn about her character.