• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
This thread is for book discussion of George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series. There will be UNMARKED SPOILERS for all published material, which includes the books up through A Dance With Dragons and any side material such as the World Book or the Hedge Knight novellas. Material from preview chapters from The Winds of Winter MUST BE SPOILER tagged.

Discussion about the tv series is fully permitted.

The show only thread

spztdw.jpg

The known world of planetos

206j0wy.png

FAQ.

mjwsax.png

"But seriously when are we getting a book?"

According to George we will be getting a book in 2018. Fire and Blood , a two-part history of the Targaryen family, will describe the events of the Targaryen rule in Westeros up to Robert's Rebellion.

The first will cover the history of Westeros from Aegon's Conquest up to the regency of the boy king Aegon III the Dragonbane. As far as the Winds of winter? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

ComputerBlue

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for making this. I linked this thread in the TV only OT so hopefully book readers will find their way over a little easier :)

lol the FAQ.

Human

Oct 25, 2017
I hate how I get storylines from the book and tv series confused now. It will only get worse when TWoW is released.

OP
OP
louisacommie

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Since season 7 was so short, I finally gave in and read the books. Shit took me about a month but it was totally worth it.

Love all the details that the book covers that the show just doesn't have enough time to do, unless each season was like 50 episodes. I was also ready to not really like A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons but I loved those as well, though, it would have been pretty awful to have to wait for so long to read Dany and Jon's storyline if you read them when they first came out. Like it has been said a million times over, the show really did mess up with Dorne, that storyline was really interesting in the books and the reveal that Doran had been secretly working against Tywin for years was a badass reveal.

Still haven't gotten around to reading A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms for I'm planning on doing that soon.

Spiderz

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot everything that has happened in the books since it's been so long. I figure If I read one word a day, I should finish my re-read by the time the next book comes out.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
not sure if we ever get another book, but i hope we at least learn what happened to make grrm think he could finish winds in october 2015, then by the end of the year, but now 2018 is a maybe.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
not sure if we ever get another book, but i hope we at least learn what happened to make grrm think he could finish winds in october 2015, then by the end of the year, but now 2018 is a maybe.

Imo, hes rewriting the ending, and the path there. My guess is that Wow will come after the final season, but close after.

Its pretty evident he's mad at the show for it passing him, even though its 100% his fault.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I wanna follow him around for a week to know how something like this is possible.

I did read that for the chapters where Quentyn reaches Meereen, he wrote 3 different versions of that chapter where some he reached the story at different points of Dany's wedding, sometimes before and sometimes after. It probably takes him a lot time to write if he is so indecisive about some parts of the story, so much so that he writes entire chapters over and over to see which is better. How many times has he re-wrote The Winds of Winter by now?

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
"Discussion about the tv series is fully permitted."

Well, I'm out. :(

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I should re-read the books. Whenever I start the re-read, I kind of stop halfway through A Game of Thrones and then when I pick it up again I restart cause I've forgotten where I was (less in regards to the location of where I left off and more the fact I forgot the details of plot since).

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
So now that I can talk about a Dance with Dragons, did anyone else feel like Tyrion's chapters were kinda boring? I found the whole "where do whores go?" thing a bit tiring, so I was glad when he stopped doing that and found it really fascinating when he found out about Young Griff, but as soon as Jorah kidnapped him, all of his chapters became somewhat of a chore. I was fully expecting for him to at least finish his destination and arrive at Meereen with Dany but after allllll of that troubling, he never even reached his destination. His ending ended up feeling more like the middle of a book than the actual end, if TWoW is ever released, I hope he meets Dany pretty early on 'cus I can't take 2 books of Tyrion traveling around the world.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The moment a character sets foot on Essos, they become incredibly dull to read. Tyrion, much like Dany, was very repetitive. But it shows that even he who considers himself great isn't actually all that great after all, and it shows Tyrion from a very dark side. Unlike the show, where he's the smartest and best and most humane.

OP
OP
louisacommie

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
The moment a character sets foot on Essos, they become incredibly dull to read. Tyrion, much like Dany, was very repetitive. But it shows that even he who considers himself great isn't actually all that great after all, and it shows Tyrion from a very dark side. Unlike the show, where he's the smartest and best and most humane.
I like Preston Jacobs dubbing show Tyrion as "the most moral man in the universe"

gspec

Oct 25, 2017
I expect it to be finished by end of 2018 or sometime in 2019. It was never going to be out before the show finished. He had no intention to give D&D more stories with the way they butchered them.

AndersK

Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
I recently re-read Feast. First time around i really struggled to finish it. I wasn't at all into Pod and Bri on a trip, shenanigans in dorne, and Sam on a cruise.
Now though...i think it might be tied for my second favorite after Swords. It has amazing additions to the world, and once you have a sense of where the slower plots are heading, they're much more satisfying.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Oh man, thanks for making thread. I've been lurking for months but I'd miss the shit out of this if it were gone.

Cornballer anywhere?

feezel

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I've given up on ever getting the last two books. I'm ok with that now.

It might not be perfect, but at least there will be a conclusion to the TV show.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I'm just a show watcher now. I even ignored the last short story compilation with the new Sons of the Dragon story - I used to preorder those.

That said once it's over it will be nice to deep dive into the "extended universe"

pulga

Banned for alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've been listening to the audiobooks on my commute, never had before, and I just wanted to say that Roy Dotrice is absolutely incredible. Dat range.

Worst thing is, couple of days after I start, he died :( RIP

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I've been listening to the audiobooks on my commute, never had before, and I just wanted to say that Roy Dotrice is absolutely incredible. Dat range.

Worst thing is, couple of days after I start, he died :( RIP

That kind of thing happens to me all the time. I was in the mood for some Tom Petty music and a couple days later he died. Years ago I read Rodney Dangerfield's biography and then like a week later he's dead.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Would you guys like it better if any show talk was prohibited? louisacommie asked in the GoT thread what the rules for this thread should be and I suggested that maybe taking the /r/asoiaf route would be good, where the topic is obviously about the books but if you want to bring up the show to further expend on a point or whatever, that it's fine. Ideally if you want to have a discussion that's just about the show then you would do it in the GoT thread.

I dunno, what do you guys suggest?

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What happened in 2015? The first season of the show that incorporated material past what had been written in the books. I imagine he has done a ton of rewriting and rethinking stories to better match the show.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know whether to laugh or cry over the fact that GAF began, flourished, and died before GRRM finished this series.

If you ever procrastinated when writing an essay in high school/college then you already know the answer.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Would you guys like it better if any show talk was prohibited? louisacommie asked in the GoT thread what the rules for this thread should be and I suggested that maybe taking the /r/asoiaf route would be good, where the topic is obviously about the books but if you want to bring up the show to further expend on a point or whatever, that it's fine. Ideally if you want to have a discussion that's just about the show then you would do it in the GoT thread.

Sounds like the best way to go. Everyone who reads the books watches the show anyway, regardless of whether they like it or not :x

I'm honestly most curious to read what the hell it is that takes the avengers (and who is even in it, fucking Beric/Thoros kinda made that episode for me) north in the book. There's absolutely no way they go up there to capture a wight lol.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know whether to laugh or cry over the fact that GAF began, flourished, and died before GRRM finished this series.

If you ever procrastinated when writing an essay in high school/college then you already know the answer.
His publisher should tell him he's gonna get an F if he doesn't turn in both books by the end of the year.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Hey, I like those books!

Too bad we're minimum a year away from seeing another, it's only really 50/50 if we will at get it at all, and pretty much everything about the existing books was fully analyzed in every possible way by, like, 2014. :(

caffe misto

Oct 25, 2017
the electric city

This sounds like a good policy to me.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
wow this is cool, I didn't know they would write a novelization for GAME OF THRONES.
Can't wait to read them but it's a shame they release so much after the show.

turmoil7

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like that ofttimes they don't follow the canon events and timelines

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I've been a little less than halfway through Book 4 for over a year. Everytime I go back I quit after a chapter of two. Comparatively I flew through the first three novels in less than a couple months.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I've been a little less than halfway through Book 4 for over a year. Everything time I go back I quit after a chapter of two. Comparatively I flew through the first three in less than a couple months.
It's an odd book 'cus the third one really feels like the final book in a trilogy and the fourth feels like the first in a new trilogy but it also has a bunch of missing characters that people love. I love the book but it is a bit hard to really get into, especially coming right off a Storm of Swords.