• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ya'll gon address this or nah

44067614-5e5c-42f5-9576-b7b7506b5e16
y4Whw4r.png

Oct 25, 2017
That seems exactly contrary to shinobi602 's original post, which I'll quote here:

I've got to be honest, I'm a little bit concerned that the witch hunts are already starting.

I have interpreted that completely differently than you apparently. To me it says petty grievances with other uses at the door. That person who said something bad about the game you love? Squashed. Person called you a bigot when you did nothing wrong? That's in the past. Person supported a candidate you disagreed with? It's over. It doesn't say people guilty of harassment, doxxing, or certain serious offenses be entitled member status. If a certain owner from another forum were to register should he be allowed to post? In my personal opinion absolutely not.

Oct 26, 2017
I have interpreted that completely differently than you apparently. To me it says petty grievances with other uses at the door. That person who said something bad about the game you love? Squashed. Person called you a bigot when you did nothing wrong? That's in the past. Person supported a candidate you disagreed with? It's over. It doesn't say people guilty of harassment, doxxing, or certain serious offenses be entitled member status. If a certain owner from another forum were to register should he be allowed to post? In my personal opinion absolutely not.
Then educate yourself on who the discord screen shot is about before stopping them at the gates. Because its definitely not people harassing or doxxing anyone.

Milk Lizard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TOBYHANNA, Pa
Besada is calling the bore a hate site, which is somewhat hilarious. Sure there is an obsession about the old place, but it's nothing other than laughing at public posts really. Not stalking like voat and such.

Dr. Benton Quest

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It isn't my place to spread the business of others, but I know that the most you've been privy to is some out of context screenshots. I have a good idea about where you saw them as well.

I'm not here to shit up this thread, but it may be best to not speak on things you don't know the history of. That's just my opinion though.

Oct 26, 2017
It isn't my place to spread the business of others, but I know that the most you've been privy to is some out of context screenshots. I have a good idea about where you saw them as well.

I'm not here to shit up this thread, but it may be best to not speak on things you don't know the history of. That's just my opinion though.
I'm well aware, thanks for your concern though.

Oct 27, 2017
Besada is calling the bore a hate site, which is somewhat hilarious. Sure there is an obsession about the old place, but it's nothing other than laughing at public posts really. Not stalking like voat and such.

Honestly beyond a single thread that has some meta forum drama/commentary The Bore is just a regular ass message board with a small community. We're super far removed from the original splinter board origins, so dude is over reacting.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As far as I can tell there is no ResetEra member by the name of besada.

I don't think this community, and in particular the admins and mods, are obliged to address what random people say off-site - even if negative about ResetEra like this person seem to be doing.

Who is going to police that? Who is going to do the work in verifying that off-site people are who they say they are? That would veer close to doxxing.

Better to focus on making this the best gaming forum it can be.

Oct 26, 2017
I think we have a miscommunication thing going here and we really need to clarify for all of our sakes. It's not cool that Besada is throwing Reset under the bus because the staff decided to give us a chance.

97_Mentality

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to say thanks for this site and thanks for the transparent and even-keeled approach. I think this model will work out best for the long term health of this site. It's been a pretty pleasant experience thus far.

Oct 26, 2017
As far as I can tell there is no ResetEra member by the name of besada.

I don't think this community, and in particular the admins and mods, are obliged to address what random people say off-site - even if negative about ResetEra like this person seem to be doing.

Who is going to police that? Who is going to do the work in verifying that off-site people are who they say they are? That would veer close to doxxing.

Better to focus on making this the best gaming forum it can be.
Yeah. Keep resetera in resetera rather than trying to police ongoing outside of it.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. Keep resetera in resetera rather than trying to police ongoing outside of it.

JonTron isn't welcome because of things he did off the site. That's already established as a precedent.

This idea that bad behavior is only bad if it happens here is naive at best and actively duplicitous at worst. A doxxing that doesn't happen here is still not cool, for example.

Oct 26, 2017
JonTron isn't welcome because of things he did off the site. That's already established as a precedent.

This idea that bad behavior is only bad if it happens here is naive at best and actively duplicitous at worst. A doxxing that doesn't happen here is still not cool, for example.
I'm no jontron fan, and please know none of my posts have been about jontron, but I think allowing people to come here if they wish and speak for themselves, defend themselves against hearsay if needed, and state their position as it is now is important for keeping the transparency that the mods have instilled so far.

Lime

Banned for use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel unsafe knowing that people who doxx, stalk, and hate follow are openly allowed into this forum.

hansel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, I'm a little behind. Is there a site dedicated to doxxing members here?

Am I safe?

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017

Am I safe?
I mean, there are like 5. They're the same sites that were dedicated to doxxing the old place.

And probably? Unless you make some kind of name for yourself by actively not being a bag of shit.

Oct 25, 2017

Am I safe?

There have been several sites dedicated to doxxing members of NeoGAF for 2+ years. Considering the origin of the site it's assumed they are also targeting people here.

As for are you safe? That seems to depend entirely on whether you've posted anything to offend the perpetrators, and whether you've lay the framework for them to work with.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I'm no jontron fan, and please know none of my posts have been about jontron, but I think allowing people to come here if they wish and speak for themselves, defend themselves against hearsay if needed, and state their position as it is now is important for keeping the transparency that the mods have instilled so far.

Open white supremacists should have no place.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel unsafe knowing that people who doxx, stalk, and hate follow are openly allowed into this forum.

Well, that's the problem, isn't it? The entire website is a reset, a do-over, a fresh start. Clean slates for all! To leave the baggage in the past and march proudly into the future. Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses, etc.

But while the spirit of that idea is a strong one, it ignores the basic reality that people are judged on their past actions. Hell, thats the reason the LAST website we were all on imploded. To cast a blind eye, to pretend that everyone who joins is a fresh newborn who no ill intentions, is naive and foolish at best, and openly antagonistic to the membership at worst.

metaprogram

Oct 28, 2017
Given that we don't know who these members are, or what their offences were, it's hard to really take a position. Was it confirmed doxxers? For all I know it's just people who had unpopular opinions.

Also, drama sucks

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Well, that's the problem, isn't it? The entire website is a reset, a do-over, a fresh start. Clean slates for all! To leave the baggage in the past and march proudly into the future. Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses, etc.

But while the spirit of that idea is a strong one, it ignores the basic reality that people are judged on their past actions. Hell, thats the reason the LAST website we were all on imploded. To cast a blind eye, to pretend that everyone who joins is a fresh newborn who no ill intentions, is naive and foolish at best, and openly antagonistic to the membership at worst.
I mean, being a reset from the last place is one thing.

Save scumming a game file erases everything you did in that particular file.

It doesn't erase the three other files you've still got.

Just my opinion on the matter.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017

That's not what transparency means. Obviously it will be up to the mods to draw conclusions on a case by case basis -- that is a very big part of being a mod on a forum if it intends to be inclusive and welcoming, particularly to vulnerable groups within a sometimes incredibly toxic gaming community -- but if they make the decision not to allow someone in, to be transparent would be to explain their reasoning, not to overrule their own judgment.

Oct 26, 2017
That's not what transparency means. Obviously it will be up to the mods to draw conclusions on a case by case basis -- that is a very big part of being a mod on a forum if it intends to be inclusive and welcoming, particularly to vulnerable groups within a sometimes incredibly toxic gaming community -- but if they make the decision not to allow someone in, to be transparent would be to explain their reasoning, not to overrule their own judgment.
Not allowing people to join because of hearsay and false claims isn't transparent. Letting them join and prove those claims are false is.

Wait, what happened with safety here? I haven't been proactive recently, did something happen?
Literally nothing happened, bar besada's twitter meltdown.

Deleted member 13131

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Adding context or trying to stir up shit with baseless accusations? hmmm
I"m not accusing anyone of anything. I responded to a post where someone said "this person needs to get off the computer for a while". You can read the tweet in isolation and think that. He's been on the receiving end of a lot of ugliness. Which is context relevant to what he was saying. You can certainly still think that, which is fine but I thought it added to an understanding of his perspective.

I don't stir shit up nor offer baseless accusations (or any accusations, for that matter). I have a firm record of such. The suggestion otherwise is really strange to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.