• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rpmurphy

Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Are you seriously advocating that some users shouldn't be allowed to join because of hearsay and backseat modding from people that aren't involved in this site (for good reason)? That's pretty much bullshit in its highest form.
Resetera is a place for people to have a second chance to make good engagement with the community (as OP implies), and I'm glad to see a number of long-banished people return. However, if there are exceptions to that, admin could be clearer on the message. Users on the old forum were banned for various reasons for actions ranging from innocuous to abusive. My concerns are more around process and transparency, and I personally don't see an issue with admin looking at this (which is beyond just hearsay) on a case-by-case basis during if we get those on the latter end of the spectrum during this transition period. It's expected that they prioritize the safety of regular members and the quality of the community over those who are still wont to disrupt that.

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bore members have used their platform to shit on users here and at the old site.

Will kiwifarm members be allowed to? Since they doxed me and others off-site it should be fine right?

How do you exactly vet new users? I'm all for stopping like, 8channers from coming in here, but it's hard to stop people if they choose a new username and then wear sheeps clothing. Unless you just close up sign ups to the site? But again I don't see resetera actively advertising itself to those subsets of people by the staff. The best the team can do(And this was the same on GAF) is ban them when they show themselves. And at the same time, Resetera hopefully won't allow white supremacists or assholes like that to actively promote their beliefs on here.

Cerium

The Former
Oct 23, 2017
ResetEra is a forum governed by rules and not by personalities or whims. When asked for clarity about these rules we communicated them to another forum, one that counts multiple former GAF mods among its active members. If posters break our rules they will not be part of our site. If you see posters engaging in behavior that violates our Terms of Service, we encourage you to use the report feature and let us know. If you have proof that any of our users have been involved in doxxing off site, send it to us and they will be banned. Thank you.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ResetEra is a forum governed by rules and not by personalities or whims. When asked for clarity about these rules we communicated them to another forum, one that counts multiple former GAF mods among its active members. If posters break our rules they will not be part of our site. If you see posters engaging in behavior that violates our Terms of Service, we encourage you to use the report feature and let us know. If you have proof that any of our users have been involved in doxxing off site, send it to us and they will be banned. Thank you.
Thank you.

Oct 25, 2017
The Bore. That should be obvious. You're in the know, bb.

That solves that.
I know what the Bore is but I don't know who you are. In any case yes, The Bore itself isn't guilty of doxxing ( to my knowledge). It at best is a sad little forum where people who can't let go - go. At worse it's another stream for places like Voat and Kiwifarms to information gather for doxxing purposes. I imagine there's probably some overlap between members in all those places however (I know for a fact there is between Bore and Voat anyway).

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Even I have a bore account guys. I rarely post, but they took me in when the actual hate sites were stalking me. They are crude and such, but when it matters they are (generally) good folk, and the bad ones will not be able to help themselves from saying something here to get them banned. Don't worry too much about Bore y'all

rpmurphy

Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Thanks!

hansel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User was banned for trolling
Taking a gander at this Bore site, and yeah, it seems pretty hateful and pathetic.

Someone posted what they think a good banner for the site would be, and it was swastikas, trump, pepe.

If it was meant as a joke, these aren't the times for a joke of that caliber.

If that's what they consider funny, maybe RESETERA is better off without them.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Not allowing people to join because of hearsay and false claims isn't transparent. Letting them join and prove those claims are false is.

Literally nothing happened, bar besada's twitter meltdown.

That's not what you originally said, though. You said that off site behavior shouldn't impact whether someone is a member. Not to "police ongoing outside."

So you do think that in some instances if someone demonstrates provably egregious behavior they shouldn't be allowed? Or only if that person is JonTron?

Oct 26, 2017
That's not what you originally said, though. You said that off site behavior shouldn't impact whether someone is a member. Not to "police ongoing outside."

So you do think that in some instances if someone demonstrates provably egregious behavior they shouldn't be allowed? Or only if that person is JonTron?
I don't think offsite behaviour should matter to resetera. Cerium seems to agree.

I don't care about jontron, none of my posts were about jontron why do you guys keep bringing him up?

Oct 26, 2017
I know what the Bore is but I don't know who you are. In any case yes, The Bore itself isn't guilty of doxxing ( to my knowledge). It at best is a sad little forum where people who can't let go - go. At worse it's another stream for places like Voat and Kiwifarms to information gather for doxxing purposes. I imagine there's probably some overlap between members in all those places however (I know for a fact there is between Bore and Voat anyway).

I'm Cindi Mayweather.

I'm just leaving that in the open.

Taking a gander at this Bore site, and yeah, it seems pretty hateful and pathetic.

Someone posted what they think a good banner for the site would be, and it was swastikas, trump, pepe.

If it was meant as a joke, these aren't the times for a joke of that caliber.

If that's what they consider funny, maybe RESETERA is better off without them.

We made that years and years before Trump was even a candidate, bro. lmao

Last edited:

hansel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh great, they're already mocking me. They really are obsessed. Who's this Benji fellow?

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think offsite behaviour should matter to resetera. Cerium seems to agree.

I don't care about jontron, none of my posts were about jontron why do you guys keep bringing him up?

I think Jontron would be an example of someone who would be banned on sight.

Offsite behaviour shouldn't matter-BUT, when it comes to hateful shit like white supremacy, it should absolutely matter. Which is why jontron keeps getting mentioned.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even I have a bore account guys. I rarely post, but they took me in when the actual hate sites were stalking me. They are crude and such, but when it matters they are (generally) good folk, and the bad ones will not be able to help themselves from saying something here to get them banned. Don't worry too much about Bore y'all
Thanks and that is how I feel too. Someone just amusing themselves with stirring things up.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
This conflict bums me out. I trust the current admin/mod team. At the same time, I respect besada a lot.

The Bore seems like an actively hateful place so I can see why they should be kept out. Then again, the forum is public, so people from TB (and worse places) could see anything they wanted even if they didn't sign up. Though I guess they would have an easier time doxxing people with forum search as full members.

Still, even if you keep people with usernames from TB, and similar places, off, does it really matter? They could just sign up under a different name anyway. I don't think it is possible to make a place like this doxxing-proof

Dr. Benton Quest

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
This conflict bums me out. I trust the current admin/mod team. At the same time, I respect besada a lot.

The Bore seems like an actively hateful place so I can see why they should be kept out. Then again, the forum is public, so people from TB (and worse places) could see anything they wanted even if they didn't sign up. Though I guess they would have an easier time doxxing people with forum search as full members.

Still, even if you keep people with usernames from TB, and similar places, off, does it really matter? They could just sign up under a different name anyway. I don't think it is possible to make a place like this doxxing-proof
I'm more concerned about the staff's statement to the bore.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

It doesn't really matter what they (somedaythefire or anyone else who isn't staff) think. We won't disallow members just for being jerks off-site, because, well, that's impractical anyway, but as Cerium said, there will still be off-site behaviours that are bannable upon sufficient evidence, such as doxxing or threats.

Offsite behaviour shouldn't matter-BUT, when it comes to hateful shit like white supremacy, it should absolutely matter. Which is why jontron keeps getting mentioned.
Correct.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't really matter what they (somedaythefire or anyone else who isn't staff) think. We won't disallow members just for being jerks off-site, because, well, that's impractical anyway, but as Cerium said, there will still be off-site behaviours that are bannable upon sufficient evidence, such as doxxing or threats.

"But feel free to openly mock our members and be welcomed with open arms. Just so long as you don't do it on here specifically." Yes?

hansel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And now, Benji is threatening to dox my sister.

I'm done for a while, this is getting too real.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Like no, seriously. This is a message to the mods in all seriousness:

You are walking into an intentional trap, and you're not even seeing it. You're being sabotaged and you're just letting it happen.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

So in your opinion if the people who engaged in bigoted transphobic conversations about me came here I should have to just deal with it?

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I'm so confused. I did (somewhat) hear about VOAT and I think one other site which name escapes me being pretty much chan-like hellholes of bigotry and hate during the whole meltdown on the old country. Somehow never heard about any of'em before, same with The Bore. Heard this last one was basically a more or less lawless version of ERA, a kind of ragtag forum bolted together by peeps and mods who got banned, left the site and whatnot, so I checked that one out a few times, and it didn't seem to me like the hatepit doxxing sites other pages might be.

I'm just wondering that if the guys and girls over there hate GAF so much, why on earth would they now register on ERA and actually plan to be productive and helpful, while simultaniously barfing over all of this forum on Bore itself?

The internet is a weird place at times, if someone from over there might help my poor mind understanding things, hit me up I guess. I'm honestly curious, and I'm not in any way in the actual know about all these sites.

Horse Armour

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is Benji the doxxer the same Benji who used to post on GAF defending gamergate/lowkey disparaging transgenderism?

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So your answer is yes... they get to make horrific comments about me elsewhere and as long as they don't do it here I should just have to deal with them being part of this community ...

Wonderful.

Cerium already said if they're doing that, to report them/message a staff member and explain to them whats up. Don't let that users opinion make you think otherwise :X

Oct 26, 2017

Alright, but banning or advocating some can't join because they frequent other websites is not healthy to a burgeoning website. It's a slippery slope, hell you even have people in this thread spreading fud about other websites. Maybe other sites do have bad people, maybe they are horrible deep down. But not everyone who frequents those sites needs to be judged alongside those horrible people. That's my position. I believe no one should be pre judged because of where they frequent off site, and they definitely should not be tarnished by the acts of others off site.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Is Benji the doxxer the same Benji who used to post on GAF defending gamergate/lowkey disparaging transgenderism?
Benjipwns was the libertarian troll

I used to enjoy his libertarian trolling on gaf, but I took a peak at TheBore and [removed] EDIT: I said I don't like people off-site discussing specific people here. I shouldn't do the same thing to people off-site, so I removed comments about what a specific person is doing off-site. I'm lurking over there atm and they are already quoting stuff I said on here. Nothing good can come from such a cross-forum discussion, so I'll stop contributing to it myself

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.