• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bishoptl

Remember
Oct 26, 2017
Vancouver
Alright, but banning or advocating some can't join because they frequent other websites is not healthy to a burgeoning website. It's a slippery slope, hell you even have people in this thread spreading fud about other websites. Maybe other sites do have bad people, maybe they are horrible deep down. But not everyone who frequents those sites needs to be judged alongside those horrible people. That's my position. I believe no one should be pre judged because of where they frequent off site, and they definitely should not be tarnished by the acts of others off site.
Lay with dogs, get up with fleas.

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I have been a member of the Bore for 10 years. The people there are good folk and most actually really like ResetEra (myself included).

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, Cerium said if they were doxxing off site, not if they were being transphobic sacks of shit off site.

Which brings up Jontron-Morrigan said Jontron would get banned if he tried joining because of his white supremacist bullshit.

I can infer that means that if you're transphobic, racist, etc., and you make it clearly known online, and then try to come here to Resetera and act like nothings happened, that you would get banned for it. Again, with the Jontron example-Jontron hasn't doxxed anyone. But he has said racist ass shit.

So Ceriums post isn't limited to just someone doxxing, but to people actively disparaging others even if it's offsite. Which does not include simply being part of another forum.

I'm not... I'm addressing that poster because it's not just mods and admins who make a community

True.

JoeBoy101

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just wondering that if the guys and girls over there hate GAF so much, why on earth would they now register on ERA and actually plan to be productive and helpful, while simultaniously barfing over all of this forum on Bore itself?

The irony right now being that the thread on all this drama at The Bore is, for the most part, cheering the mods here and giving them plaudits.

There's all sorts of reasons people join forums, but the mods here, yet again, have shown considerable wisdom in accepting a sensible policy. Judge users by their posts here. If there's mitigating circumstances like threats and foxing, then bans will be enforced. I struggle to find anything wrong with this approach.

I've really been impressed with the board here, both from technology to moderation. I've already had better discussions here in the past week than I've had 'previously' for the past year or so.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Eh, I will trust the mods here to do the right decision. No need for hysteria. I remember some of the people on The Bore as being good people back when they posted on GAF. If they come here, hopefully they leave shitty bore behind anyway (why would anyone want to post there unless they had no other options) and they can be turned back into good people by the power of love and respect at ERA <3

The moment someone shows shitty behaviour though, after joining here, I think reporting and banning is the right course, so basically what Cerium said

Talapia

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Which brings up Jontron-Morrigan said Jontron would get banned if he tried joining because of his white supremacist bullshit.

I can infer that means that if you're transphobic, racist, etc., and you make it clearly known online, and then try to come here to Resetera and act like nothings happened, that you would get banned for it. Again, with the Jontron example-Jontron hasn't doxxed anyone. But he has said racist ass shit.

So Ceriums post isn't limited to just someone doxxing, but to people actively disparaging others even if it's offsite. Which does not include simply being part of another forum.

I mean, you've assumed that Morrigan and Cerium had a conversation beforehand and came to a definitive conclusion on letting people be members. This site is just over a week old, there are growing pains and that includes defining how the rules work when it comes to the finer details. The real way to know what the rules are is to have an example, just like how laws are tested in the courtroom, therefore setting the boundaries legally.

Janna OP

Oct 25, 2017
nobody on the bore is doxxing anyone lol. the only real crime committed there is allowing animated avatars and emoji spam.

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The irony right now being that the thread on all this drama at The Bore is, for the most part, cheering the mods here and giving them plaudits.

There's all sorts of reasons people join forums, but the mods here, yet again, have shown considerable wisdom in accepting a sensible policy. Judge users by their posts here. If there's mitigating circumstances like threats and foxing, then bans will be enforced. I struggle to find anything wrong with this approach.

I've really been impressed with the board here, both from technology to moderation. I've already had better discussions here in the past week than I've had 'previously' for the past year or so.

Agreed. This forum has a very good vibe to it.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you've assumed that Morrigan and Cerium had a conversation beforehand and came to a definitive conclusion on letting people be members. This site is just over a week old, there are growing pains and that includes defining how the rules work when it comes to the finer details. The real way to know what the rules are is to have an example, just like how laws are tested in the courtroom, therefore setting the boundaries legally.

I would hope that the staff discussed it with each other before the forum opened on how moderation would work? Since the start, they've been extremely transparent, so much that it influenced people being shown why a person was banned via the red banners. I can imagine this is one of the things they discussed(And again, why jontron keeps being brought up as an unacceptable person who wouldn't be allowed to join.)

On the matter of Morrigan and Cerium discussing this specific thing-allowing members previously banned on GAF to join resetera-was probably already discussed by the moderation team. After all, ZhugeEX is an admin, and he got banned(unfairly IMO) on GAF. So it would've come up in discussion.

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I will trust the mods here to do the right decision. No need for hysteria. I remember some of the people on The Bore as being good people back when they posted on GAF. If they come here, hopefully they leave shitty bore behind anyway (why would anyone want to post there unless they had no other options) and they can be turned back into good people by the power of love and respect at ERA <3

The moment someone shows shitty behaviour though, after joining here, I think reporting and banning is the right course, so basically what Cerium said

Over there we basically self-moderate so all the shitty people get concentrated in the forum meta-commentary thread. It's very much a shithole of a thread. Other than that the forum has users that have known each other for well over a decade plus. Hell, I attribute that forum and some of the users to helping me figure out some personal shit I was dealing with a few years ago. So it's not all bad. You just take the good with the bad.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I'm just wondering that if the guys and girls over there hate GAF so much, why on earth would they now register on ERA and actually plan to be productive and helpful, while simultaniously barfing over all of this forum on Bore itself?

As mainly an observer I'd say it's not some single group of people who post there all with the exact same ideas and behaviors; some don't hate the old place.. some do but like what Resetera are doing, some are only critical of the old places owner, some of the mods, and then there's a few that hate everything lol. It's unclear how many people even have accounts here (because there's a lot of sarcasm there it's hard to tell who is joking about having/not having an account) other than the ones that have been fully supportive of Resetera; lots of people have been impressed with the changes here compared to the old place for instance.

I agree that it's petty how some people seem obsessed with analyzing and making fun of specific posters, but it's not the whole forum doing that. I'm on that forum because it's a place that allows discussion of what is going on at the old site, and want to respect Resetera's wishes of not having that discussion here (which I support and understand.)

You aren't going to stop people from talking about you on other venues; it's the nature of the internet. Hell I've found some weird ass shit on the internet about me googling my username lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Take it on a case by case basis if you want to pursue people about their off-site behavior. Each situation is different, I trust the mod team currently will be able to separate what hysteria is doing vs people who actually have a bad agenda. No sense in jumping at shadows.

Worst case scenario, bad folks get banned again. There's a report post button that works just fine. Don't be afraid to dump all the baggage and start fresh. Bad folks will shake out. It doesn't have to be immediate.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I still need clarification in fact.
I'd wager if you'd actually ask a concrete question instead of vaguely implying all sorts of things, you'd have more luck with that ;)

This really is some needless drama, and I feel it's completely drawn here by another site, which makes it even more needless. I think the points from the moderators so far are pretty easy to understand if one uses common sense.

As mainly an observer I'd say it's not some single group of people who post there all with the exact same ideas and behaviors; some don't hate the old place.. some do but like what Resetera are doing, some are only critical of the old places owner, some of the mods, and then there's a few that hate everything lol. It's unclear how many people even have accounts here (because there's a lot of sarcasm there it's hard to tell who is joking about having/not having an account) other than the ones that have been fully supportive of Resetera; lots of people have been impressed with the changes here compared to the old place for instance.

I agree that it's petty how some people seem obsessed with analyzing and making fun of specific posters, but it's not the whole forum doing that. I'm on that forum because it's a place that allows discussion of what is going on at the old site, and want to respect Resetera's wishes of not having that discussion here (which I support and understand.)

You aren't going to stop people from talking about you on other venues; it's the nature of the internet. Hell I've found some weird ass shit on the internet about me googling my username lol.

Thank you :) And yeah, trying to stop people talking on the internet is crazypants. If some weirdo will try to "dox" me, eh, whatever. From the few times I visited Bore I don't feel like they're actually the doxxing kind though. Mostly not the kind I'd like to spend an evening with either, but that's an entirely different story :D
Again, thank you for explaining!

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why does anyone care? It's just a forum. Talk with your friends, make posts, give your opinion, don't be stupid about it. If someone wants to mock your opinion elsewhere why do you care, why should you care? If you aren't being doxxed there isn't an issue.

This isn't GAF, it might be it's offspring, but it isn't GAF. It's supposed to be a clean slate. It doesn't matter if the people that laughed at you for your opinions, valid or otherwise, in the past are here, so long as they don't break the rules here.

Trying to moderate people here for what they say elsewhere leads down a dark path.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd wager if you'd actually ask a concrete question instead of vaguely implying all sorts of things, you'd have more luck with that ;)

This really is some needless drama, and I feel it's completely drawn here by another site, which makes it even more needless. I think the points from the moderators so far are pretty easy to understand if one uses common sense.

It's not a vague implication. The question is simple:

If there was a group of users offsite who were actively harassing me, and would come into resetera and post next to me like nothing happened, can they be banned? If they keep screencapping my posts and have a twisted altar where they insult me publically?

That is the question. And IMO, I hope the staff team would take action against assholes like that.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
So in your opinion if the people who engaged in bigoted transphobic conversations about me came here I should have to just deal with it?

I want to clear up something.

We take not only doxing seriously, but harassment too. Our job is not to police the entire internet, but if we see a ResetEra user going off-site to harass another user on racist, transphobic, or sexist basis, we absolutely will take action.

We have a diverse group of moderators here: different genders, different ethnicities, and scattered all across the globe. Rest assured, we are in the interest of protecting minorities and users here. Anything otherwise is nonsense.

If we see evidence of users going off-site for the purpose of that kind of harassment, they will be banned. Period. We take a hardline stance on such actions.

Thanks.

To add to Nicole's post: if you want to report such a user on ERA, please provide us with ironclad evidence that they are the same person doing the harassment/etc. off-site. We have enough on our plate already and can't be doing detective work for other communities. Thanks.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Why does anyone care? It's just a forum. Talk with your friends, make posts, give your opinion, don't be stupid about it. If someone wants to mock your opinion elsewhere why do you care, why should you care? If you aren't being doxxed there isn't an issue.

This isn't GAF, it might be it's offspring, but it isn't GAF. It's supposed to be a clean slate. It doesn't matter if the people that laughed at you for your opinions, valid or otherwise, in the past are here, so long as they don't break the rules here.

Trying to moderate people here for what they say elsewhere leads down a dark path.

I agree we shouldn't shut people out for having done stuff like that in the past. It's a reset, like you say.

But if they do it going forward. If they stalk or make fun of or shit on people here after having joined, then I think they should no longer be welcome, because then they have proven they are not participating here in good faith

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
If there was a group of users offsite who were actively harassing me, and would come into resetera and post next to me like nothing happened, can they be banned? If they keep screencapping my posts and have a twisted altar where they insult me publically?
But that has been answered, hasn't it? Report it to the mods with proof, aka screenshots/links to that other site, and they'll take care of it. I might be mistaken but I think that's pretty much it.

edit: See, again confirmed by Nicole.

Talapia

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
On the matter of Morrigan and Cerium discussing this specific thing-allowing members previously banned on GAF to join resetera-was probably already discussed by the moderation team. After all, ZhugeEX is an admin, and he got banned(unfairly IMO) on GAF. So it would've come up in discussion.

Doesn't that present a different scenario to what you said earlier though? This place is a Reset. I feel that it's slightly unfair to prohibit people from posting based on their account standing elsewhere on the internet, since this was the theme that encouraged people who had accounts on the older site to sign up. There was no need to consider baggage, everyone is considered based on how they act on ResetEra.

I sort of understand your position, but I personally think that you can end up eliminating a lot of people that haven't done anything worth being blacklisted over. If you let this happen, wouldn't that provide a bit too much power to the mods? After all you mentioned transparency earlier in your post, so someone being blacklisted before even getting to the account creation stage seems to be the antithesis to this concept.

Besides, it's much more likely that someone joining with an account that has broken Era rules outside of the site will repeatedly offend, therefore ending up banned here. The protections in place are good enough to not have to worry about people ruining the fun.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But that has been answered, hasn't it? Report it to the mods with proof, aka screenshots/links to that other site, and they'll take care of it. I might be mistaken but I think that's pretty much it.

Yeah, and now an admin has clarified even further. It's just that some people have very real concerns, and sometimes a clarification is needed.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Which individual users on the bore do you think deserve to be shadow banned? Which posts in particular?
Did I say someone needs banning right this moment? I'm establishing that dickbags get kicked for being dickbags to our posters no matter where they choose to be dickbags. I want it on record by staff as an established stance. So that when dickbags choose to play a game of 'I'm not touching you' they get got.

And to that end, thank you SweetNicole

corn93

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did I say someone needs banning right this moment? I'm establishing that dickbags get kicked for being dickbags to our posters no matter where they choose to be dickbags. I want it on record by staff as an established stance. So that when dickbags choose to play a game of 'I'm not touching you' they get got.

And Clarence Thomas is black. What's your point?
=

You pretty much called a transwoman an "Uncle Tom" to her face. And yet you don't think that's being a dickbag?

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't that present a different scenario to what you said earlier though? This place is a Reset. I feel that it's slightly unfair to prohibit people from posting based on their account standing elsewhere on the internet, since this was the theme that encouraged people who had accounts on the older site to sign up. There was no need to consider baggage, everyone is considered based on how they act on ResetEra.

I sort of understand your position, but I personally think that you can end up eliminating a lot of people that haven't done anything worth being blacklisted over. If you let this happen, wouldn't that provide a bit too much power to the mods? After all you mentioned transparency earlier in your post, so someone being blacklisted before even getting to the account creation stage seems to be the antithesis to this concept.

Besides, it's much more likely that someone joining with an account that has broken Era rules outside of the site will repeatedly offend, therefore ending up banned here. The protections in place are good enough to not have to worry about people ruining the fun.

Oh, I guess I wasn't clear-I dont' believe in banning people over their 'stance' on the internet, that is whether they were banned on another forum for this or that, or whether they are simply a part of a certain forum(For example, I peruse 4chan.) But I do believe that if a user is actively harassing, doxxing, being a shitlord off site to others on the site, that they should absolutely be banned.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
=

You pretty much called a transwoman an "Uncle Tom" to her face. And yet you don't think that's being a dickbag?
I'm sorry? Last I checked saying that someone being something is no guarantee of being assurance of people they associate with not being sacks of shit to their in group, isn't calling someone an Uncle Tom to their face. However, if you feel that it is, report my post. I'll take the ban if the mods agree with you. Shit needs saying and if there's consequences for saying it, so be it. I don't play cute games trying to dance around people's bullshit.

Oct 26, 2017
Why does this guy The Adder get to backseat mod? If people have been dickbags to Reset Era posters, Reset Era mods will ban accordingly. Meanwhile, you just called me a coon but apparently that doesn't count as being a dick bag.

Just all over the place. Whatever, One Piece time.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sorry? Last I checked saying that someone being something is no guarantee of being assurance of people they associate with not being sacks of shit to their in group, isn't calling someone an Uncle Tom to their face. However, if you feel that it is, report my post. I'll take the ban if the mods agree with you. Shit needs saying and if there's consequences for saying it, so be it. I don't play cute games trying to dance around people's bullshit.
Who are these "sacks of shit" you keep referencing? What are there transgressions? It seems to me you're going after people with no idea why based on some hearsay without investigating.

corn93

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Himuro is the transwoman in question. Her "crime" that you think means you can liken her to Clarence Thomas is... posting on another website.

Anyway you are right. I'll use the report system.

Horse Armour

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Adder I appreciate you trying to raise awareness about Benji's offsite doxxing and gamergate leadership position but calling another member an uncle Tom is taking things too far.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I want to clear up something.

We take not only doxing seriously, but harassment too. Our job is not to police the entire internet, but if we see a ResetEra user going off-site to harass another user on racist, transphobic, or sexist basis, we absolutely will take action.

We have a diverse group of moderators here: different genders, different ethnicities, and scattered all across the globe. Rest assured, we are in the interest of protecting minorities and users here. Anything otherwise is nonsense.

If we see evidence of users going off-site for the purpose of that kind of harassment, they will be banned. Period. We take a hardline stance on such actions.

Thanks.

I appreciate the clarification. Thank you.

Talapia

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Oh, I guess I wasn't clear-I dont' believe in banning people over their 'stance' on the internet, that is whether they were banned on another forum for this or that, or whether they are simply a part of a certain forum(For example, I peruse 4chan.) But I do believe that if a user is actively harassing, doxxing, being a shitlord off site to others on the site, that they should absolutely be banned.

Hmm, that's a pretty unrealistic scenario. The way forums work, it's not possible to moderate every single user's post on the forum as is. Having to then manage who posts what on other sites is a bigger problem. Now you have to be sure that:

• It's the same user on your forum that you are monitoring elsewhere
  • They are posting in good faith
  • They are actively harming users on your platform by contributing on another platform
In fact, as I was typing those bullet points, I realised that you could be using your account to collect personal information from users due to the permissions you have (like being able to see hidden content). However, that would be breaking the site's ToS, so you become liable to the site's rules in that instance. I feel that there are already precautions in place, and that you should trust the mod/admin team to handle it. Blacklisting users on other sites isn't the way to go however. There are too many grey areas when you take that stance.

Hooky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't post on The Bore (or any of the other places mentioned-which ARE shitholes), but I have been lurking there a bit since the old place imploded and this seems a little overblown. Cracking a few jokes about a post or thread off-site doesn't automatically make someone a crazed, doxxing gamergater. If I'm not mistaken, a certain Star Wars superfan from the old place recently had two meltdowns on twitter and actually had one of his followers dox someone from the bore. So it's odd that they're the ones eating so much shit here. You guys have terrible PR.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I think it's better to contact staff if you see someone off-site making fun of members here. Rather than posting publicly I mean.

Publicly posting about someone on another site because they publicly posted off-site about someone here sounds like contradictory behaviour.

Status
Not open for further replies.