• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
The fighting game community is notably one of the most ethnically inclusive gaming communities, but the fighting game community is also notably toxic as fuck. A discussion online about which fighting game had the most racist community prompted Syniez to do some research into the matter. Syniez is the curator of an FGC Discord server compendium. They polled a selection of FGC Discord servers for hard-R n-word usage and ranked them by the percentage per message. The numbers are real, but Syniez intended this 'measurement of racism' to be a joke.

For those interested in fighting games, the FGC Discord Compendium is an invaluable resource.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a great joke to be honest. Can't wait to see someone taking it seriously.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
dam shreksuperslam players get your act together, no wonder there is no evo representation

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how I feel about Shrek being that high up there

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Wildly off-topic, but I just noticed Them's Fightin' Herds in the list of Discord communities there, and apparently that game is still in early access. The hell? Hasn't it been in development since 2011?

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Less than 1% for all of them, but 1,000 instances of the n-word is still 1,000 instances of the n-word.

On a related note, I just did a hard-r n-word search on Era and got 10 pages of results. haha
I mean what if the n-word isn't hard R? but with the a at the end?

Unless his search was just hard R?

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
It was just hard R. I'm sure the soft A would have increased the poll results exponentially, but raised more contextual concerns.
Damn that's insane to have 1000 hits of hard R in all large FGC discords, but that's honestly not as much as I'd have expected.

Soft A I'm sure would hit probably 10-20 percent.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
That's most definitely a joke from them to link the n-word to an analysis of racism in the fgc lol

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (3 months): Unfounded personal attacks, repeating a conspiracy theory concocted by hate groups
Less than 1% for all of them, but 1,000 instances of the n-word is still 1,000 instances of the n-word.

On a related note, I just did a hard-r n-word search on Era and got 10 pages of results. haha
half of those from Enzom21 before people found out he was white

Nov 11, 2017
half of those from Enzom21 before people found out he was white
giphy.gif

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Lol. This is actually pretty funny. I'm trying to think of all the fighting games I've been called that on and the one that stands out to me the most was hmmmm Soul Calibur IV or V? on Xbox 360. Oddly enough I got more messages on Blazblue that were angry, but they weren't particularly racist, but on Soul Calibur when people got blown up I was getting called all kinds of the hardest of R's because I was on mic. I wasn't talking shit or anything but they could hear I was black so lol. That was the Xbox 360 experience though. I got called that shit every week and depending upon the game it might be every other day lmfao. Like Halo 3!

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I'm more shocked at the fact that there are discords where the hard-R was NOT dropped.

And a discord for Arcana Heart of ALL GAMES.
The KoF community got the most messages with zero n-bombs. Put Terry Bogard in all the games.
I'm not educated enough to make a funny joke about the fact that Chinese and Mexican people wouldn't use that word.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love 3S, but the community is largely trash.

I actually was a lurker in the 3S server listed in the spreadsheet (emphasis on 'was') so I got curious and searched for how many times a hard r was used in there, and not only was there 20 pages of it but the most recent use of it were a group of people high five-ing each other over being in the top 5.

Probably the quickest I've left a server.

OP
OP
JusDoIt

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
So the guy that actually got these numbers thinks this is funny? I don't get it.

I don't know all that, it's just they weren't serious about it being empirical evidence.

I'm not educated enough to make a funny joke about the fact that Chinese and Mexican people wouldn't use that word.

Living in LA, I haven't been called the hard R by any Chinese people. I have been called the hard R by a few Mexicans, however, but I'm hoping they weren't KOF fans.

I actually was a lurker in the 3S server listed in the spreadsheet (emphasis on 'was') so I got curious and searched for how many times a hard r was used in there, and not only was there 20 pages of it but the most recent use of it were a group of people high five-ing each other over being in the top 5.

Probably the quickest I've left a server.

I just joined that server last month because I started playing 3SOE again...I probably won't be on it too long tho.