• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

potato

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully one of the online publications can run with this premise. I'd like to see a study done about. How did Sony foster such a devoted fan base?

No other fan base is as loyal or as supportive as Sony fans. Their enthusiasm for unreleased Sony exclusive games, as well as their support of "meh" games is often so loud and influential, the perception of the game changes throughout the industry. Before we knew it, MGS2 started to be considered as some sort of social experiment masterpiece.

Even when a game is critically panned, or simply just an average game, there always exists a vocal minority that are cheerleaders for the game (Mark of Kri, Playstation All-Star Battle Royale)

Prior to a game's release, regardless of how little we know about the game, how unproven or even how historically bad the developer is, if its a Playstation exclusive, the fan base jumps at the chance to hype it. When ICO was first announced, during the high years of JRPGs and FPSs, it looked so mediocre. The graphics looked so bland. But there they were, the Sony loyalists propping up the game as the next masterpiece before they even played it.

Same thing with Ratchet and Clank. The fanbase and word of mouth made the first game such a success, it gave the series legs. Sure, the game had awesome characters, and fun gameplay. But how the hell did it become a success in an era where if you weren't on the FPS and JRPG bandwagon, you might as well not exist?

Same thing with Killzone. Unproven developer. But it was so hyped.

Anyone remember Haze? The Halo killer that Killzone wasn't? The PS3 exclusive to end all PS3 exclusives? Goodness the ramp up to that game's launch was ridiculous. The fallout when the reviews hit ignited a crazy console war.

How did Sony foster such a loyal fan base?

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
Trust me, nintendo fans are similar too.
Hell, people defended the xbox one pre X/rerelease when there was basically 0 reason to buy it instead of a PS4.

There's fans like this in every group.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
By putting out good games? (Or holding good games "hostage" if we're being cynical about this.)

I mean, that's the only reason I buy their consoles.

The games stop coming and I'll be out the door in a hot second.

The notion of being "loyal" to a brand is a complete fucking mystery to me. You don't give loyalty to a brand in exchange for goods, you give them money. They're not doing you a favour, they're making a profit off you. If those profits dry up you'll quickly find out how much your "loyalty and support" is worth.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Joke thread? Every console has hardcore fans who'd go to insane lenghts to support everything done on it and defend even the shittiest games and practices. Go check out NintendoLife or the Xbox One subreddit. The Sony fanbase is just very prominent here on Era.

Malek

Feb 15, 2018
OP right now
giphy.gif

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
Is this some passive aggressive thread about Sony fanboys or something like that?

This is so weird.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
This seems like console war bait. People can be rabid fans of almost anything and you can point out examples of internet enthusiasm for dubious releases across all platforms.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
People are tribal and display irrational emotional attachment to their favorite toy companies when they don't have the money or inclination to buy toys from all the companies.

You see this with consoles, phones, car brands, watches, just about all the toys people use their money on.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
This behavior exists in all stratas of passion based hobbies OP, are you even being genuine in your arguments.

Oct 27, 2017
I think you're highlighting meh things and not considering all the amazing things they put out that have garnered fan trust. This trust then leads to the pre-release of new unproven games.

Bring on Knack 3 baby!

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
huh, I usually thought Nintendo fans are even more devoted than Sony fans. Nintendo hardware can survive with just Nintendo fans because they bought everything nintendo, while it seems pretty obvious that Sony hardware can't survive with just their fans alone.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I don't even understand what's going on here.

Someone having a meltdown thru their alt account. Probably a frequent top poster in our console wars threads.

Which, by the by, have been a lot more fun lately since the moderation has loosened up somewhat recently. Console wars on a videogame forum is part of the whole healthy community.

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, I've met some hard Bots(That's what we called Xbox fanboys) back in my days. Tools were the other large contingent(That's what we call Sony fanboys), and Drones(The Nintendo fans) were probably the biggest. A Tool could also be a Drone, but not a Bot. Drones went in the hardest, Tools stuck their nose on top, and Bots would always cling to their graphics.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By putting out good games? (Or holding good games "hostage" if we're being cynical about this.)

I mean, that's the only reason I buy their consoles.

The games stop coming and I'll be out the door in a hot second.

The notion of being "loyal" to a brand is a complete fucking mystery to me. You don't give loyalty to a brand in exchange for goods, you give them money. They're not doing you a favour, they're making a profit off you. If those profits dry up you'll quickly find out how much your "loyalty and support" is worth.
Exactly this.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
That's in every fanbase. Look at...any Switch thread, lol.

You just need to learn who to ignore through all the noise.

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
huh, I usually thought Nintendo fans are even more devoted than Sony fans. Nintendo hardware can survive with just Nintendo fans because they bought everything nintendo, while it seems pretty obvious that Sony hardware can't survive with just their fans alone.

Yeah I've definitely seen Nintendo fans as the most 'devoted'.

VZ_Blade

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like we can make a copypasta out of this.jpg

But seriously, Sony fans as a whole are no less or more passionate than the other console fans.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Because I'm bored, I'm going to give a serious answer.

I would say Nintendo fans are the most loyal. I often see people switch between PlayStation and Xbox, likely because they're fairly similar. Nintendo fans will keep buying Nintendo.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Console wars are silly.

Inb4 lock.

I will admit to one slightly inflammatory joke I've made to my friends though. When describing fanboy dynamics on ERA/GAF to my friends, I've said that Xbox people are the most civil and quiet... because they are pretty much invisible in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.