• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if you guys have noticed but... there's been a LOT of threads over the last 24-ish hours about the rumors about Nintendo and Microsoft working together. ;)

So I decided to take the time to round-up everything we have so far, and maybe have this thread become the central hub if possible for further discussions about the rumors, if at all possible.

Let us begin!

0. Added afterwards, call it a prequel! Indie Gamer Chick, known for working at least with indies for code giveaways to help spread the word for them (I've gotten Star Ghost from her for context). tweeted and then deleted this bit (thanks SuperBlank!):

4f353dd1-ebe5-46e6-b993-254cb4388694-jpeg.193652

1. The (not anymore) real beginning was when Microsoft accidentally posted early in their GDC keynote description that they will talk about bringing the Xbox Live SDK to Switch and mobile devices.

This of course is likely an extension of how Xbox Live and your Microsoft account are used in the Switch version of Minecraft following the Bedrock update released last summer. This allowed you to access achievements and cross-play, and I believe unifies the items/DLC you buy in the Minecraft marketplace across all supported platforms.

2. Next technically is when Nintendo-Insider made a post regarding our own Imran's rumor from his appearance in the Kinda Funny Games Daily show that Nintendo is reviving a "dead and buried" game for Switch. Nintendo-Insider made the bold claim that it's actually Scalebound, the famously canceled Microsoft-owned and published game created by Platinum Games.

3. Then, things started to blow up when Liam Robertson made his video regarding said rumor and offered his take on it:

To sum that bit up, he doesn't think it's likely at all. In the video however is when he created the snowball that later started rolling by saying this at the 6:10 mark:

Liam Robertson said:
"There's also the matter that Microsoft owns Scalebound. Nintendo and Microsoft have a very good relationship nowadays, and i have heard they're working on big things together, but I do think selling Scalebound to Nintendo might be a step too far."

That's mainly when the collab rumors began piling up.

4. Then not long after, TheSentry42 pointed out in the Switch Rumor Archive Thread that Imran and the team in the newest Game Informer Show said the following during the Hellblade Switch segment (and how it's essentially a Microsoft product now that MS bought Ninja Theory) at 58:04:

Imran: I think there's probably going to be more of those in the future.

Ben: Oh, more Microsoft games on Nintendo Switch?

Imran: Yeah.

Ben: Hmm, I wonder how many balls were in motion before the Microsoft purchase though. Do you think they were already working on a Nintendo Switch version and it's just like "well it'd be stupid to waste that development effort so go ahead Ninja Theory".

Suriel: And I mean, they already have Minecraft on there so it's not Microsoft's precedent to say "now we're gonna cancel this since we we bought you, I feel that they're way cooler about that than maybe Sony might have been.

Imran: I mean, Phil Spencer has meetings with NIntendo as a third party, like they talk in third-party relations. There's more work to come probably.

(Thanks to Dancrane212 for transcribing this bit!)

5. Things got bigger when our own NateDrake made his own video about the collab rumor and added some key info about it, being that not only is Game Pass and xCloud coming to Switch, but even Ori (unspecified which) is getting an actual port for Switch:

Adding to this bit was known insider Matt adding his own take:

There are going to be massive changes in the industry over the next few years.

Interesting times ahead.

Then NateDrake added this tidbit (thanks again Dancrane212!):

It is my understanding GamePass/xCloud for Switch may be one in the same -- as in GamePass will use xCloud to bring the software to the system, but not 100% on that.

Ori will be normal, published release.

6. Things get even bigger. Jeux Video reports that not only is specifically Ori and the Blind Forest getting a Switch port, but also Cuphead, AND apparently there's talks of Halo, Forza, or Gears of War making their way to Switch in some form. My assumption this is in reference to an actual port as well outside of Game Pass/xCloud. And of course Rare was brought up as well. Here's a quick summary from the thread's OP by Ex-Actarus:

What a day for jeuxvideo.com ! Alongside the specs leaks on Scarlett, jeuxvideo.com reveals the result of an investigation ( over 2 months ) into the upcoming Nintendo and Microsoft partnership. They reveal the following details :

- Nintendo and Microsoft had several meetings in Redmond regarding their upcoming partnership

- They confirm Ori and the Blind Forest will come on the Swith, but Cuphead as well

- More than 100 Xbox games will be available on Switch via Gamepass and/or X Cloud ( before the end of the year )

- Rare games could also come to the Switch. No details, but jeuxvideo.com believes Rare Replay could be a good candidate.

- No mention of Scalebound during their investigation

- Their sources refuses to say if Nintendo games could en up on Microsoft platforms

- A High profile Microsoft franchise ( Halo, Forza or Gears ) could come on the Nintendo Switch. However, they don't know in what capacity ( 360 port ? Xbox One game ? ). This is still under discussion between Microsoft and Nintendo.

EDIT : just to be clear the High profile Microsoft games - Halo, Gears or Forza - coming to the Switch is not confirmed, so that part is still a rumor.

so here is a recap :

Confirmed by jeuxvideo.com : meetings between Nintendo and Microsoft, Ori and the Blind Forest, Cuphead, Gamepass and X Cloud coming to the Switch

Rumors : Halo, Forza or Gears and Rare games coming to the Switch

Source : http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/10065...cient-des-jeux-xbox-debarquent-sur-switch.htm

7. Next up is Gematsu reporting that they've heard/seen that Ori and the Blind Forest on Switch was spotted at a UK wholesale database as being published by THQ Nordic:

Gematsu said:
Gematsu has also heard that a Switch version of Ori and the Blind Forest has appeared in at least one United Kingdom wholesale database under the distribution of THQ Nordic, which has worked with Microsoft in the past to publish PC titles on Steam.

THQ Nordic makes perfect sense for two reasons. First is that they already work with Microsoft on retail releases on PC. Second and most significantly, they're taking over from where the original (but unrelated) THQ left off on GBA and DS with their own releases of Microsoft games, such as Banjo-Kazooie Grunty's Revenge on GBA and Viva Pinata Pocket Paradise on DS.

UPDATE: This as a reminder was posted before the very serious incident by THQ Nordic. I myself will not be supporting them any longer and I hope Microsoft are aware of this incident and will take their business elsewhere period. Switch, PC, everything.

8. Next is a smaller note. Windows Central is reporting that Ori and the Blind Forest and Cuphead are tests for the Xbox Live SDK text program mentioned in the first point:

Windows Central said:
I've also heard games like Ori and the Blind Forest and Cuphead may be test-cases for the new Xbox Live SDK for third-party developers, which will facilitate Xbox Live-services on Nintendo Switch and mobile devices, features which were previously restricted to Microsoft internal titles like Minecraft.

Not a shocker, hell I expected that to be the case. :P

9. Last is Brad Sams' comment on this topic and gives us a bit of a time frame for Game Pass and xCloud at the 1:46 mark:

Here's a summary by the OP Rychu:

Summary:
Brad Sams says that he knows Microsoft is trying to expand where Game Pass is available and that includes the Switch as well as things like Samsung Smart TVs.

He says that he cannot confirm how soon it will be happening, if there are talks ongoing, etc. he will only report things he has high confidence in.

He also says that people inside Microsoft haven't been told that it's happening "yet" but that doesn't mean talks aren't happening. It's something Microsoft wants and Microsoft and Nintendo have a good relationship with crossplay, Nintendo allowing Xbox Live on Switch, Minecraft, etc.

On xCloud and how Game Pass would work on Switch:
Any device that has WiFi or an internet connection can connect to xCloud. xCloud isn't going to launch in public preview until the second half of 2019. Game Pass games that aren't available on Switch will use streaming technology via xCloud to work. The earliest time possible for Switch to get Game Pass would be early 2020.

He finally mentions that Microsoft has a lot of big Xbox Game Pass announcements up its sleeves for E3 and that these are "big" announcements not something like "here are 3 games."

Honestly I don't follow Brad Sams to know for certain if he's a trusted insider, but there's numerous thread on here already about his rumors so I thought I'd may as well include it here for completion's sake.

That should be it until something else pops up... or if I forgot something! :P

Hope this helps things. Thanks for reading! :)

Last edited:

SuperBlank

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Nice archive, OP.

Also (possibly) worth noting are the claims of Indie Gamer Chick, made a couple weeks back.

4f353dd1-ebe5-46e6-b993-254cb4388694-jpeg.193652

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
What a time to be alive. Breaking down the ridiculous walls of console gaming.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Well done dude, there are so many threads I'm getting a bit lost with all the threads. Feels like we need a OT or something and this is a great start

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Such a crazy time to be living in. I guess microsoft realized that nintendo wasn't there main advisary, and nintendo realized that microsofts streaming push could give a lot of games life on switch that might not otherwise make it to the system due to power restraints and vice versa. You might be able to stream forza horizon 5 on your hand held, and you might even be able to play donkey kong country on your xbox if things turn out well, crazy times indeed

Reki

Oct 25, 2017
Great work, I hope you can keep it updated when more news hit.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for condensing this, OP. It was getting confusing following the different threads.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Great work OP, thanks for this! I cannot wait to see what actually comes out of this year's E3

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I was excited but skeptical initially but now... ecstatic that this is actually going to happens

Deleted member 46922

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
It's cool that most people are down with this, I'm too.
And if Ori gets on the Switch I would love that!

But I'm gonna be in waiting mode for all this stuff, because people tend to get too enthousiastic sometimes, and it's hard to separate facts from fiction in some cases. :)

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
The JeuxVideo article made me believe this is all legit: it goes very in-depth, they talk about 2 months investigations with meetings between Nintendo and Microsoft in Redmond, they said specifically 100 Game Pass games, Ori and Cuphead first native ports, announcement in 2019, one big Xbox title coming too... and they had all their info about Xbox Scarlett.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Good job, OP. Thanks.

I hope this isn't like the Starfox Racing rumour where one place leaked it and then everyone and their mother just started claiming they'd heard it too.

This would be pretty awesome if true.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
From what I understand:

- Microsoft will bring native ports of some of their games to Switch.
- Ori and Cuphead heavily rumored and Super Lucky's Take is leaked.
- Halo, Forza and Gears ports will also arrive. I think Halo MCC and Gears 360 games are best candidates. I don't think we'll see a modern Forza port on Switch. Halo MCC could be a showcase for Microsoft's crossplay tech
- Rare Replat might not be real but individual games can be ported to Switch.
- Game Pass subscribers could access those ports without paying extra cost
- Next year xCloud will also launch on Switch and allow certain Switch owners to enjoy newer games that can't be possible on Switch.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Cuphead is an interesting one, since MS didn't publish it. Maybe they're letting them put it on Switch in exchange for Cuphead 2 also being exclusive?

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
I'm amazed how instantly so many people believed any of these rumors. Are the rumors totally insane? Not really but people have been jumping on this bandwagon far to quickly when so many of these 'insiders' have been way off the mark or completely wrong.

Star Fox Grand Prix? How about Mother 3 on Wii U? What about Metroid Prime 4 at the Game Awards? Metroid Prime Trilogy in the last direct? Pokemon Stars? The hundreds of other Switch rumors? What about Microsoft buying EA? You get the point.

How many times do insiders need to get major things wrong before people start taking these things with massive grains of salt?

I don't think anyone sourced in this OP has had a good track record. I know Liam Robinson has been wrong multiple times as has the Nate Drake guy who was claiming CoD was coming to Switch in 2018. This reminds me of the Star Fox Grand Prix shit last year with everyone saying they've heard details on some stuff and some of it might be true but I seriously doubt any of these people know the details. I mean we just had a thread about how its very likely Star Fox Grand Prix never even existed and yet so many people on here and elsewhere are so quickly to believe all of these people despite offering no proof what so ever to what they claim and after many of them have been way off before?

The only site and reporter I trust to confirm any part of this story is Kotaku's Jason Schreier and until I see him suggesting this is real I would take all of this with a massive grain of salt.

Insider culture is just out of control and people need to chill the heck out.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Rare Replay seems a bit optimistic. A good number of the most intensive games benefitted from being lifted directly as 360 ports. They'd have to do a lot more to make them work unless this whole thing is streaming... and then I'm too out of touch to want it.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Also dang, anyone who even dares to hint about Banjo-Kazooie in Smash without being 100% dead certain needs a kick in the pants. I can't get myself unnecessarily hyped over this for the 100th naive time.

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
On one hand, all of this news has me excited on the possibility of this future and how convenient it would be for someone who wants to jump in and out of gaming no matter where they are.

On the other hand, I feel like this is all rumors that are spiraling out of control based on one person's misinterpretation of something.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
I'm amazed how instantly so many people believed any of these rumors. Are the rumors totally insane? Not really but people have been jumping on this bandwagon far to quickly when so many of these 'insiders' have been way off the mark or completely wrong.

Star Fox Grand Prix? How about Mother 3 on Wii U? What about Metroid Prime 4 at the Game Awards? Metroid Prime Trilogy in the last direct? Pokemon Stars? The hundreds of other Switch rumors? What about Microsoft buying EA? You get the point.

How many times do insiders need to get major things wrong before people start taking these things with massive grains of salt?

I don't think anyone sourced in this OP has had a good track record. I know Liam Robinson has been wrong multiple times as has the Nate Drake guy who was claiming CoD was coming to Switch in 2018. This reminds me of the Star Fox Grand Prix shit last year with everyone saying they've heard details on some stuff and some of it might be true but I seriously doubt any of these people know the details. I mean we just had a thread about how its very likely Star Fox Grand Prix never even existed and yet so many people on here and elsewhere are so quickly to believe all of these people despite offering no proof what so ever to what they claim and after many of them have been way off before?

The only site and reporter I trust to confirm any part of this story is Kotaku's Jason Schreier and until I see him suggesting this is real I would take all of this with a massive grain of salt.

Insider culture is just out of control and people need to chill the heck out.

Brad Sams and Jez are both well respected insiders. Brad is well connected at MS.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you so much. We have a billion threads on this and it's good to have it all in once place.

Nov 8, 2017
The strategy benefits both MS and Nintendo, and the most important, the gamers.
If Switch has game pass then MS essentially has market in all important gaming field: pc, stream box, high-end console, and handheld.
Nintendo instantly has more games available for switch, and they reasonably can get a cut from MS for game pass.
The potential is gigantic especially if Nintendo also publish their game on xbox. Finally we have a chance to see what Nintendo developers can do with true powerful hardware.
Also other publishers will be more willing to put games on game pass as there are more audiences with switch players.
This is exciting news and I wish it comes sooner than later while Google and Amazon presumably joining the gaming scene.
I can see why Phil was promoted to VP as this strategy could bring in billions of dollars for MS and require company-wise authorities to push through the deal. Brilliant idea.

Balmung421

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for gathering all these up!

I love all these rumors and would love to see this all come to fruition

Pez

Oct 28, 2017
If this turns out to be true at the scale it appears to be, MS is about to uppercut Sony before next-gen even begins.

This is such a big deal. Sony is going to have to do the same thing with Playstation to be viable.

I love innovation in this industry. Gawd dam, MS.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Rare Replay seems a bit optimistic. A good number of the most intensive games benefitted from being lifted directly as 360 ports. They'd have to do a lot more to make them work unless this whole thing is streaming... and then I'm too out of touch to want it.

I'm guessing they'll port Rare Replay games individually as 360 games in that pack are emulated on Xbox One. Plus, the games are listed individually in Game Pass, that way makes more sense. Streaming Lauren platform for Switch is most likely more than a year away (plus I don't think it would have same content with Xbox One xCloud) so everything until then should be direct ports.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Incredible summary. The games journalism at work here is very impressive and the potential of this collaboration is exciting to say the least, and industry-changing to say the most.

E3 will be something.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit confused though, wouldn't having Xbox Gamespass on Switch (in addition to it already being on PC) heavily devalue having an Xbox One?

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Good call OP, thanks for this. It's going to be interesting seeing what actually materializes and which "insiders" are full of it.