• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Nice that you compiled everything in one thread, I actually had no idea about that Gamer Girl part. Really interesting if this also means am n64 classic with all the rare games.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What if Nintendo and MS worked together for Retro to make a Banjo Kazooie game? I know I know it'll probably never happen ☹️

Pez

Oct 28, 2017
If anything this is a great get for Nintendo, and a self-uppercut for MS putting their games on other systems; less of a reason to buy an Xbox now, more reason to own a switch, and no change in reasons to own a PS4 (their exclusives).

Yeah, that makes sense. Maybe MS is punching themselves in the dick.

I'll pay to watch though. #popcorn

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Congrats OP ! Great summary :). I think we can ALL agree, something is really happening there. GDC ( where we will leaen more about Xbox Live on Switch ) and E3 ( all the other details of the partnership ) are going to be very exciting this years.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks Hero of Legend, much appreciated.

Crazy week in gaming news! Interesting and potentially game-changing (pun intended) stuff, but hard to keep up with all the rumors and leaks.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Yep, I was thinking this a bit reading this thread. If revenue these days is increasingly driven by subscriptions, Microsoft's Xbox division could see big increases in revenue if they expand their potential userbase.

I see these rumors pointing to a win/win situation for both companies. Microsoft gets access to an enthusiastic, game-hungry audience on Switch and other platforms, and Nintendo gets many more of the AAA games Switch is missing with a single solution, rather than the sporadic, localized efforts of Capcom (RE7) and Ubisoft (AC Odyssey). Microsoft seems to be setting themselves up more as a competitor to Google than Nintendo, and maybe they're actually ahead of the curve for thinking like that.

If this comes to fruition, I'll be curious to see a tech analysis of any games that are both natively on Switch and available on Game Pass.
Yep, but not just Google - they want to beat Amazon, Google, EA, Nvidia, and Sony to the punch. They're placing their bets on game streaming being the next big thing, and want to be at the head of the race as it takes off.

I'm sure they'd love to sell >100m systems and lead the console market, but that's a secondary goal to them at this point, and probably pales in comparison to hundreds of millions they're chasing across PC, smart devices, and other systems.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
I have never done one of those posts where every word is followed by a clapping emoji but geez I am tempted to do one each time someone does a "there is nothing to gain from this for Microsoft/they will sell less Xbox hardware" post.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Cuphead is an interesting one, since MS didn't publish it. Maybe they're letting them put it on Switch in exchange for Cuphead 2 also being exclusive?

Yeah it's pretty strange to see Cuphead being treated like a first party IP in these rumors. Perhaps it was simply a 2 year timed exclusive? Perhaps it was even a traditional 1 year timed exclusive that has now run out (hence the MacOS port?), and Switch is just their next target completely independent of all this noise?

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I missed Matt's post.
It's getting me even more curious to know more about that.
Impossible these things stay secret until E3, it's too big and should totally leak in the coming months lol.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
I don't understand why all these rumors about Scalebound and MS ownership are disregarding the fact that MS actually dropped the trademark for Scalebound due to not being able to show use.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why all these rumors about Scalebound and MS ownership are disregarding the fact that MS actually dropped the trademark for Scalebound due to not being able to show use.

Because they still own the IP. If Scalebound were to be picked up they'd have to redo literally everything.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the summary OP. Think I have a good grasp on the situation right now, and I am excited about this to say the least.

I have never done one of those posts where every word is followed by a clapping emoji but geez I am tempted to do one each time someone does a "there is nothing to gain from this for Microsoft/they will sell less Xbox hardware" post.

Yeah for real. It's not hard at all to see what's in it for Microsoft. It's kinda obvious what this argument stems from and it's not insightful or novel in the least.

And for that matter I don't think that these rumours increase the chances of Super Mario Odyssey releasing elsewhere either by anything other than maybe 0.1%. Yet it keeps cropping up in every one of these threads...

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Rare itself has no interest in returning to old IP's unless they can figure out unique ways to do them, and after the failure of Nuts and Bolts, Microsoft has been very wary of making sequels to Banjo or Conker.

But getting a Nintendo dev to work on a Rare IP would be something.
Retro Banjo....drools

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Because they still own the IP. If Scalebound were to be picked up they'd have to redo literally everything.
From what I've heard and read, that's the case anyway. To me this is more
083Farfetch%27d.png
than Retro doing Star Fox GP.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda analyzed the current Game Pass lineup, and tried to see which game could come in which way:

Games that already on Switch and/or coming soon: Ark Survival Evolved, Cities Skylines, Darksiders Remastered, de Blob, Doom, Hellblade, Grip, Megaman Legacy Collection 1&2, Outlast, Oxenfree, Payday 2, Resident Evil 2 Revelations, Rime, Rocket League, Saints Row the Third, Shantae games, Snake Pass, Unwritten Tales 2, Wasteland 2

Games that can be ported to Switch by Third party: Batman Return to Arkham, Darksiders 2 Remastered, Dead Island games, Dead Rising 2, DMC games (after Dragon's Dogma this makes sense), Life is Strange games, Metro Redux, first two Tomb Raider games, Ultra Street Fighter 4 (didn't this get rumored one time?), Fallout 3 (yes please)

Games that could be ported by Microsoft: Banjo Kazooie games, Gears of Wars 360 games, Halo Master Chief Collection, Halo Wars 1, Fable 360 games, Ori, Viva piñata games, Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero, Shadow Warrior games (do the own these?), Super Lucky's Tale (only this one is confirmed)

Games that would definitely be xCloud only: Halo 5, Gears of War 1 Remake, Gears of War 4, Forza 4, Crackdown 3, State of Decay 2, Shadow of Tomb Raider, Halo Wars 2, Dirt 4, Just Cause 3

Games I'm not sure about: Recore (could be stream only but Switch might run a downport of this), Sunset Overdrive (similar to Recore), Sea of Thieves (again similar to Recore, and this would benefit being a native port), Star Wars Force Unleashed games (license issues), Epic Mickey 2 (license issues), lego games (license issues, I expect them to be replaced with more modern games when GP comes to Switch) and all the remaining indies (porting them could be tough without the original devs around, but I hope to see some of them actually ported)

And don't forget, Game Pass content is constantly changing, When it arrvies to Switch, we might have a completely different lineup. Some games will sure to be replaced. Like Mortal Kombat X, I expect it to be replaced with MK11. Or Rage 1, Rage 2 could take its place (didn't id tease it for Switch?). Or Oblivion with Skyrim?

Oct 28, 2017
So we should be hearing the first real announcement of this collaboration at GDC and it will be delved into at E3. Funny how Sony is stepping this year out when there's a possible Microsoft/Nintendo collaboration happening.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I kinda analyzed the current Game Pass lineup, and tried to see which game could come in which way:

Games that already on Switch and/or coming soon: Ark Survival Evolved, Cities Skylines, Darksiders Remastered, de Blob, Doom, Hellblade, Grip, Megaman Legacy Collection 1&2, Outlast, Oxenfree, Payday 2, Resident Evil 2 Revelations, Rime, Rocket League, Saints Row the Third, Shantae games, Snake Pass, Unwritten Tales 2, Wasteland 2

Games that can be ported to Switch by Third party: Batman Return to Arkham, Darksiders 2 Remastered, Dead Island games, Dead Rising 2, DMC games (after Dragon's Dogma this makes sense), Life is Strange games, Metro Redux, first two Tomb Raider games, Ultra Street Fighter 4 (didn't this get rumored one time?), Fallout 3 (yes please)

Games that could be ported by Microsoft: Banjo Kazooie games, Gears of Wars 360 games, Halo Master Chief Collection, Halo Wars 1, Fable 360 games, Ori, Viva piñata games, Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero, Shadow Warrior games (do the own these?), Super Lucky's Tale (only this one is confirmed)

Games that would definitely be xCloud only: Halo 5, Gears of War 1 Remake, Gears of War 4, Forza 4, Crackdown 3, State of Decay 2, Shadow of Tomb Raider, Halo Wars 2, Dirt 4, Just Cause 3

Games I'm not sure about: Recore (could be stream only but Switch might run a downport of this), Sunset Overdrive (similar to Recore), Sea of Thieves (again similar to Recore, and this would benefit being a native port), Star Wars Force Unleashed games (license issues), Epic Mickey 2 (license issues), lego games (license issues, I expect them to be replaced with more modern games when GP comes to Switch) and all the remaining indies (porting them could be tough without the original devs around, but I hope to see some of them actually ported)

And don't forget, Game Pass content is constantly changing, When it arrvies to Switch, we might have a completely different lineup. Some games will sure to be replaced. Like Mortal Kombat X, I expect it to be replaced with MK11. Or Rage 1, Rage 2 could take its place (didn't id tease it for Switch?). Or Oblivion with Skyrim?

I'd probably lower your expectations for which games are going to be natively ported to Switch. Ori and Cuphead are good candidates, but I think they'll be (pardon the pun) rare, and that "Game Pass on Switch" means xCloud primarily.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I'd probably lower your expectations for which games are going to be natively ported to Switch. Ori and Cuphead are good candidates, but I think they'll be (pardon the pun) rare, and that "Game Pass on Switch" means xCloud primarily.

I really hope that's not the case, if Microsoft third all in on steaming, all other third parties would follow their way and release their games streaming only. Switch could become streaming only device and we might never see stuff like Doom or Skyrim on Switch again. I'm sure Nintendo would impose a limit of that streaming stuff and don't let the third parties kill the biggest draw of Switch system: that it allows you to take your games anywhere. Anywhere, even countries the xCloud won't be available in.

Let's not entertain that idea.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope that's not the case, if Microsoft third all in on steaming, all other third parties would follow their way and release their games streaming only. Switch could become streaming only device and we might never see stuff like Doom or Skyrim on Switch again. I'm sure Nintendo would impose a limit of that streaming stuff and don't let the third parties kill the biggest draw of Switch system: that it allows you to take your games anywhere. Anywhere, even countries the xCloud won't be available in.

Let's not entertain that idea.

Which is why I think that xCloud on Switch will be restricted to Game Pass games only, and not the full library.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Which is why I think that xCloud on Switch will be restricted to Game Pass games only, and not the full library.

It could be, but it will definitely affect the Switch's future third party support. If Nintendo don't impose a limit, many third parties would consider bringing their games via streaming, some of them are even doing right now. Rage 2 for instance, devs are toying the idea of a Switch port. If xCloud becomes a thing they'd just put their games there. If it's not available as you said, Bethesda could create its own service similar to Ubisoft. It would definitely be cheaper for them. After that more and more devs would join the bandwagon. Not a good place to be for Nintendo, having the same third party content with smart TVs and smartphones.

I think those 360 games will receive native ports on Switch. Switch definitely can run them, Nintendo would rather want them on their console natively. I think this is the case, as Super Lucky's Tale is being ported to Switch despite being a current gen game. It points out that Nintendo and MS is taking it seriously and MS not treating Switch no more than an Android tablet.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
So it could be anything from a second Rare Replay with some of the Nintendo owned stuff that isn't DK or Star Fox, to a Rare Replay specifically with those things made for the Switch, to some "smaller" Microsoft projects being put on the Switch in part to test out xCloud on the device, to GamePass being on the Switch and possibly fully (including major Microsoft First Party games) to who even knows what some people are suggesting.

There's way too much smoke for it to be nothing, but there's a big gap between something and everything and I'm just gonna sit back and see where this lands on that spectrum.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Much appreciated OP. This past few days have been one hell of a wild ride.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
I just had a realisation. With Sony not attending e3 this year, this collaboration will get even more attention, exposure etc. Before all this it was gonna be Microsoft vs Nintendo to "win" e3. Now it's gonna be Microsoft + Nintendo use e3 to rule the world.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
I just had a realisation. With Sony not attending e3 this year, this collaboration will get even more attention, exposure etc. Before all this it was gonna be Microsoft vs Nintendo to "win" e3. Now it's gonna be Microsoft + Nintendo use e3 to rule the world.

I'm wondering if Sony did not hear rumors about that Microsoft - Nintendo partnership and felt it was better to not attend the show. The amount of noise this would make plus the reveal of Scarlett, better indeed for them they having their own show indeed.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Also, the head of Moon Studios was teasing stuff a couple of months ago that could very well be tied to the new rumours.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
What's the timeline for smash dlc? Would make sense to announce this at the same time as a banjo in switch announcement...

Some will say it undermines reasons to buy an Xbox

Xcloud alone does that though, and that is definitely coming. Ms are changing direction

If this leads to Nintendo enabling support for the Xbox One controller on Switch...

94f.png

I believe there's an adapter for that

Axass

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm all for this new post-console-war world where we're all friends.

I welcome Microsoft with open arms. It's great to see platform holders working together instead of openly competing.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
I really appreciate that folks find the thread useful. This thread reminds me of my old NX Rumor Summary thread from the old site, so this isn't new territory for me. :P

I'm happy to help when I can. :)

Last edited:

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's worth including NateDrake's comment about his understanding (at the moment) of Gamepass and xCloud being the same service in the OP Hero of Legend.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ru...irect-feed-games.101129/page-18#post-18164446

I don't think he's right, full Game Pass games coming as streaming only would kill Switch's all third party future. Companies like THQ and Capcom is supporting Switch right now with Dragon's Dogma and Saints Row the Third but their other games are on Game Pass, like DMC or Saints Row 4 this might drive them using only streaming on Switch. What's the point of porting your game when it's available in select markets as stream software? Whole thing does not make sense.

Game Pass as stream only would also cause cancellation of future ports for Switch. Doom Eternal (Doom 1 is avaliable on Game Pass), Hellblade (also available on Game Pass), Saints Row The Third (available on Game Pass) ports might not be necessary for their publishers. Everybody is very eager to join stream bandwagon (Capcom and Ubisoft are already on board) Nintendo would definitely do anything to protect the traditional gaming on Switch. I think they will limit this xCloud to only modern MS published games and encourage others to port traditionally. Otherwise a full xCloud support on Switch could turn the system stream only in a couple of months.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
I don't think he's right, full Game Pass games coming as streaming only would kill Switch's all third party future. Companies like THQ and Capcom is supporting Switch right now with Dragon's Dogma and Saints Row the Third but their other games are on Game Pass, like DMC or Saints Row 4 this might drive them using only streaming on Switch. What's the point of porting your game when it's available in select markets as stream software? Whole thing does not make sense.

Game Pass as stream only would also cause cancellation of future ports for Switch. Doom Eternal (Doom 1 is avaliable on Game Pass), Hellblade (also available on Game Pass), Saints Row The Third (available on Game Pass) ports might not be necessary for their publishers. Everybody is very eager to join stream bandwagon (Capcom and Ubisoft are already on board) Nintendo would definitely do anything to protect the traditional gaming on Switch. I think they will limit this xCloud to only modern MS published games and encourage others to port traditionally. Otherwise a full xCloud support on Switch could turn the system stream only in a couple of months.

I guess we will have a different Gamepass for the Switch. I don't think we will have all games you have on Xbox platforms.

Anyway, Microsoft and Nintendo will need to have a great communication about this. We all understand the implications of the patnership, but there are so many question marks.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I guess we will have a different Gamepass for the Switch. I don't think we will have all games you have on Xbox platforms.

Anyway, Microsoft and Nintendo will need to have a great communication about this. We all understand the implications of the patnership, but there are so many question marks.

I think they will be different things, Game Pass and xCloud. If Game Pass really does come to Switch, as a subscriber I should be able to download games like Megaman Collection 1&2, Arc Survival Evolved, Rocket League for free. Why should I stream the game when download is an option? Makes zero sense. Plus xCloud will be available in select markets, some people being more lucky than the others is against Nintendo's strategy in western markets.

My guess is there will be ports from Microsoft. They could port everything portable and leave the rest for xCloud. And I don'T think Nintendo would be so easy on streaming, they would limit third parties using the tech. I think this xCloud on Switch will only have current gen MS published games, stuff like Halo 5, Crackdown 3, and Forza 4.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know why you guys think Microsoft's end goal is to get people to buy Xboxes.

This ain't 2008.
They are still making and selling Xbox consoles because they want people to buy them.

Sure they can make money from Streaming games, but they make a lot of money off EA, Ubisoft and Activision games on their consoles right now. EA have already announced their own streaming service, Ubisoft are already partnering with Google etc. A diminishing console install base weakens their position overall, even if they are just thinking of a primarily service focused future.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

Streaming will continue to be a "situational" way to play until sometime in the future (just look at the varied responses to PSNow). There is still plenty of value in native ports so I don't see any reason why third parties that are already porting to Switch would stop because of streaming. None of the rumors have said that Nintendo is opening up their store to Microsoft to validate purchases or subscription statues for the native download of apps, only that GamePass would be accessible through an app which sounds a heck of a lot like a streaming platform to me.

Have there been sources that confidently state they will be two different services on the platform?

Last edited:

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Streaming will continue to be a "situational" way to play until sometime in the future (just look at the varied responses to PSNow). There is still plenty of value in native ports so I don't see any reason why third parties that are already porting to Switch would stop because of streaming. None of the rumors have said that Nintendo is opening up their store to Microsoft to validate purchases or subscription statues for the native download of apps, only that GamePass would be accessible through an app which sounds a heck of a lot like a streaming platform to me.

Have there been sources that confidently state they will be two different services on the platform?

I don't think streaming will be just mere "option" for third party publishers. They are reluctant to bring their games already, streaming will be the "easy way out" they've been looking for. Capcom and Ubisoft already brought their games via streaming and before this xCloud thing arrives there will be lot more. Upcoming next gen consoles and streaming option will make third parties ignore Switch. There is a really good chance Switch would slowly turn into a streaming only platform unless Nintendo take same precautions.

And nothing said Game Pass would be an app, you're confusing it with rumored Xbox Live app where you can check your XBL account (achievements etc). Rumors explicitly said there will be ports, not as a just streaming app. Nintendo and MS having talks about games could mean there is much bigger stuff on the way than just streaming app which would pose danger to Nintendo. Plus xCloud is still more than a year away and probably launch only for America at first, I don't think it was a important part of their "talks".

One source did hint the difference. Brad Sams said "only games not available on Switch will be on streaming via xCloud". here. I think it's more in line with my idea. There will be ports and we know MS is doing some, as Super Lucky's Tale is leaked recently.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
only games not available on Switch will be on streaming via xCloud

If I recall correctly he was talking about how Gamepass couldn't really work on Switch until xcloud is ready. He posited that having Nintendo mark Gamepass games as download before that was ready would be messy (or something of that sort). He uses the Gamepass term to refer to playing games on TV through streaming as well.

Brad Sam's explicitly states in the video he does not know enough to speak with any confidence of Microsoft games and IP coming to the Switch.

you're confusing it with rumored Xbox Live app where you can check your XBL account (achievements etc).

Perhaps so, I thought I read Gamepass was included in that app but it could have gotten jumbled in my head with all the stories yesterday.