• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
May 9, 2018
IMPORTANT: Do not harass the streamer over this.

EDIT: Tweet deleted:

If you don't have enough money for gaming equipment for streaming/yt do this:

1. sell your bed - buy $10 air mattress
2. stop eating out - only eat $1 ramen/chef boyardee
3. stop buying skins
4. buy the cheapest setup and keep saving for upgrades

live like shit until you grow

The tweet (EDIT: likely not a joke; he doubles-down in the replies) was made a couple days ago, but it's blowing up now after a few viral quote tweets.

The replies to those tweets are pretty good. Twitch might be the one case that it's even harder to break through the mold by being scrappy than YouTube.

The real protip is a consistent schedule.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean... that's not meant to be taken at face value obviously? What's the take here, that sarcastic humour flies over numerous people's heads?

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
please eat better than that if you can afford to. your health is more important than a chance at a twitch breakthrough.

May 25, 2019
London
It's hyperbolic but the gist of the message is not a bad one. If you want to pursue something as a career or hobby, put your energy (and money) towards it instead of pissing it away on frivolous stuff.

Selling your bed is a bridge too far though

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Almost every streamer, even the "well adjusted ones", have a work week that I'd never touch with a ten foot pole. The amount of commitment and time required just for a small chance to make a go of it seems absolutely ludicrous to me, and not even close to being worth the idealistic notion of "gaming for a living".

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018

He backtracked on the tweet, Says that his advice comes from his own experiences (e.g. sleeping on air mattresses) but still says that if you're wanting to be a content creator, taking up a job could take away from the time you're using to make stuff for the internet.

even with this clarification, selling shit to make your bills and being hesitant about getting a job is baaaaaddd fuckin advice.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
Stop eating out is good advice, though you don't need to eat ramen to make it cheaper. Just make lunch boxes.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Should've told people that they'd have as much of a chance at becoming a big streamer as winning the lottery.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Not eating out is excellent advice, eating just ramen or Chef Boyardee is awful advice. Buy proper groceries to eat healthy and affordably. Proper sleep is also very important to health, so air matress isn't great idea either. Though who am I to say, I sleep on a couch. I'd assume keeping oneself healthy and energized would lead to better content too. Especially as when you're streamer you're already sitting a lot which ain't good. Walk every day to buy ingredients for healthy meals.
Should've told people that they'd have as much of a chance at becoming a big streamer as winning the lottery.
This is very true.

Jun 23, 2019
I have a serious question, are there any popular streamers who aren't like super good at games, but people enjoy watching them? I wanted to get into streaming different games I like to play, but I'm not like a pro level player lol.

JusDoIt

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Step 1: Mow your neighbor's lawn.
Step 2: Take money out of your dad's wallet.
Step 3: Take money out of your mom's purse.
Step 4: Sell grandpa's Medal of Honor on eBay.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol thats funny

I wonder why yall post dumb stuff now? like what kind of thread is this lol. Every single thread is literally a tweet in the OP

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
I have a serious question, are there any popular streamers who aren't like super good at games, but people enjoy watching them? I wanted to get into streaming different games I like to play, but I'm not like a pro level player lol.

I'm in my mid 30s. Long beyond prime gaming age. There are tons of streamers I've seen who are significantly worse at the games they play than I am. Yes, you will get assholes who come in and scream at you for not being as good as GodGamer69, but I see the same kind of shit get flung at people who are exceptionally good at the games they play. Being really good is just one of many hooks to bring in viewers, but good interaction with chat, consistency, personality, and whatever it is that makes you unique all combine to make a successful streamer.

And yes, luck is a factor.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
There are many categories, as long as it's interesting/entertaining. One I really enjoy is a show where one streamer plays horrible/weird games that another guy chooses

Last edited:

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
How to become a big streamer
Step 1. Take out a small loan(~$1 Million)
Step 2. Buy a reasonably sized house along with streaming equipment
Step 3. Start Streatming
Step 4. Stop Streaming after realizing the time for big streamers to naturally emerge has long since passed over and you missed out on the boon. Also you only have like 5 subscribers
Step 5. Go bankrupt from not being able to pay back the loan and have your house and equipment foreclosed on
Step 6. Sleep on a $10 air mattress
Step 7. stop eating out - only eat $1 ramen/chef boyardee
Step 8. stop buying skins

Deleted member 18021

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The best advice remains just to not bet everything on streaming as a career, lol. Let it happen organically.

Personality matters most, in my opinion. People want a quasi-friend to interact with.

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw this pop up on my timeline and even responded to it.

I've been on and off streaming since about 2008 or so. I'm one of the earlier people who've tried streaming and been kinda inconsistent about it as a whole (which I'm trying to fix). But man, his advice is just...

I know many people who've streamed for a long time, and only ever been able to maybe break around 5-10 streamers, myself included. Some people got a little luckier and got about 10-30 viewers on average. I know one whom I've befriended who got about 100+ or so, but yeah. Really it's just a luck of the draw. Consistency also helps, but sometimes you just... gotta be lucky.

Worst days is streaming for like 3-5 hours and not a damn soul in the stream.

Having said that, selling your bed, eating shitty, and among other things, I just can't. The only legit good advice in there is the set up stuff (regarding getting something within your price range and then try to save up for some better stuff), but everything else awful. It's both unhealthy and in the long run, it won't help you.

And besides, realistically, you should be streaming because you want to, to interact with people, etc., not to hope for success. If it happens, great. If not, you're still good. That's my rule of thumb. Besides, personally, I just rather have a small audience I can talk to and commentate with me.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I mean, people are gonna sacrifice for what they're passionate about. People live like this to tour if they're a musician. Filmmakers can sacrifice a lot to make a movie... While it's very debatable if streaming has similar artistic value, but its something people are passionate about in a similar way... Is it advisable? Not to most people, no.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lottery winner tells people to liquidate assets and buy lottery tickets.

Trickstah

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
I get what he's trying to say but he came at it the wrong way.

Saying "you CAN get a job, but you're giving up time to create content."... Umm, you can create content AFTER work. If it's something you enjoy doing then creating content won't be work and can be fun.

When you stream Fortnite and you have an audience that will also be in their teens, tweeting "sell your bed and get a $10 mattress, eat $1 ramen" is the worst advice to give.

Why not talk about how getting financially stable on Twitch/YT is VERY difficult due to the ever-growing amount of people trying to make it too and being financially stable beforehand should be a priority.

I've even seen some people wanting to drop out of school in tweets/reddit to go full time Fortnite streamer due to its popularity because some "Pro" said it. If you have a voice, use it wisely and stop encouraging bad living habits.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Feel bad for any kids that take this idiots advice. Getting into game streaming is the new trying to be a games journalist. The amount of people that can actually succeed is so small that trying to get to a point where you are financially well off and don't have to worry about money is so slim, you might as well buy lottery tickets

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Well three and four are ok, and half of two is too. I think I get what he's trying to get across in general.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Thats so disturbing. You sacrifice your life and assets just for gaming, thats so fucked up priority. If anything else, you should get better of your life first