• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Era:
  • The school system is a scam
  • Being a wage slave gets you nowhere
Also Era
  • OMG, don't give up anything to follow your dreams, be responsible.
This post might contain the tiniest bit of /s

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean the first 3 are just good money saving tips for life imo. And the 4th is kinda what you have to do if you can't afford what you want at that moment in time. You could even just scrap any type of mattress entirely if you ask me and just put a spare quilt down on the floor and wrap yourself up if you really wanted.

I'm not seeing the questionable part of this tbh.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
The best advice is don't quit your day job.

Putting all your chips into streaming is probably the worst advice ever.

Treat it as a hobby/"free time waster" and be hopeful that maybe one day you'll make money from it.

As far as I can tell the most successful Youtube personalities and Streamers either got in very early on when there was less competition or arrived on either platform with an established fanbase. (I.E. Arin Hanson & Jontron wouldn't have seen near the immediate success with Game Grumps if they didn't already have successful individual projects via Arin's Newgrounds animations and Jontron's preexisting Youtube content, and then Barry, who started out as their editor, was able spin his "brand" off into his own streaming content, having already made a name for himself via Game Grumps.)

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Can you really sell your bed for more than the price of an inflatable mattress? lol

Didn't realize bed secondary was a thing. 🤮

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
i don't even understand the point they're trying to make. getting a computer that can stream isn't that hard or expensive. if you think you need studio grade lights, multiple cameras, high quality graphic transitions or neon lighting to make it big you're just pissing away money considering how much luck is involved with that to begin with.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a serious question, are there any popular streamers who aren't like super good at games, but people enjoy watching them? I wanted to get into streaming different games I like to play, but I'm not like a pro level player lol.

Didn't see this when I responded originally.

Honestly, I know plenty who aren't super good at specific games and to them, as long as they have fun, that's all that matters. You'll be good.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This tweet is bizarre to me because, as hard as it is to make it big streaming on Twitch, it's not expensive.

You basically just need a half-decent PC, a good mic (let's say $50), and a decent internet connection. And if you're a gamer you probably already have two of those, anyway.

Edit: Looks like it was deleted

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, some people can luck into being successful fast enough to make doing it full time from near the start a realistic thing. About the same amount of people who can become professional sports athletes making high paychecks. Everyone else, work a day job, pay down debts, save your money, and stream on the side with a regular schedule, get good at it, form a following, maybe someday you will earn enough money to sell your bed.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've heard of streamers that stream for years and they still don't get enough viewers to make it worth it, lol. And even if you get viewers, it doesn't mean you'll get paid at all.

Daxa

Jan 10, 2018
I have a serious question, are there any popular streamers who aren't like super good at games, but people enjoy watching them? I wanted to get into streaming different games I like to play, but I'm not like a pro level player lol.
Plenty. You have to remember these streamers often play the same game for six hours a day; you pick up a thing or two from that, but big streamers also have literally thousands of people in their chat as real-time wikis and advisors, which is particularly huge for complex games like PoE, MHW etc.

And without naming names, some of the biggest streamers for a lot of the games aren't particularly good at them. Sometimes you can just do well in game by grinding—or people gifting you stuff.

Good streamers have entertaining streams regardless of what they're doing, but obviously you also need to have a good time playing something competitive like Fortnite or Apex Legends. And Overwatch is miserable for everyone, regardless of skill.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
How to become a big streamer
Step 4. Stop Streaming after realizing the time for big streamers to naturally emerge has long since passed over and you missed out on the boon. Also you only have like 5 subscribers

This guy knows what's up. Unless you're really good at a particular game, or just get really lucky you're not going anywhere now.

Oct 27, 2017
Becoming a streamer that has enough success to sustain a living without a regular job has always seemed like a lottery to me. Sure, hard work and dedication will grow an eventual audience, but there is a decent amount of luck required for people to even look at you or give you a chance in the first place. Might as well buy lottery tickets on the side dreamers. Just don't quit your job.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I mean, the "stop buying skins" tip is good advice for everybody, not just prospective streamers.

And the stop eating out tip's also good... until they go on to recommend replacing it with $1 ramen. You can eat better than that for not much extra.

The rest... hmm.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
ONe day streamers are going to hit with a real cold hard reality that streaming will by and large not cont as work experience.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
There are 3 things you never go cheap on. Mattress, Shoes, Chair.

You're gonna be in one of those 3 for at least 90% of you whole fucking life, they'd better be supporting yo ass.