• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

A video that shows how game locations are seen from other game locations and how accurate (or inaccurate) they are. Basically a video version of these two old blog posts discussing the same, but it's cool to see. You can see how much thought was put into all of this by the devs. I'll never get tired of seeing Duke's Archives on the hill. What a game šŸ˜¢

Thread is stolen from White Glint who showed me.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah that's one of the things that never fails to amaze me about the Soulsborne series. Despite the game not being a true open-world per se, all the world feels like it belongs in one single credible place, and almost never feels disjointed. Having this kind of sense of scale and place in relation to each other really succeeds at conveying that feeling of believability. So much planning must have went into creating those levels, for them to connect in such a fashion, it's insane!

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that's one of the things that never fails to amaze me about the Soulsborne series. Despite the game not being a true open-world per se, all the world feels like it belongs in one single credible place, and almost never feels disjointed. Having this kind of sense of scale and place in relation to each other really succeeds at conveying that feeling of believability. So much planning must have went into creating those levels, for them to connect in such a fashion, it's insane!
Dark Souls is kind of the only one built like that (and Sekiro and the DS3 DLC). Bloodborne is far more segmented, and Dark Souls 3 is just strung together linearly (and Dark Souls 2 doesn't fit together at all).

It's still mostly fake (the levels don't truly fit together the way it looks, and the geography makes no sense), but they put a lot of effort into getting that sense of scale and having everything seem to be in place no matter where you are.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls 2 DLC locations were amazing as well

Deleted member 1722

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
This is such a cool and wonderful video. I love all the games in the series, but I've gone insane trying explain to people that the other games just straight up aren't the same. They never made the map like that again.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Dark Souls is kind of the only one built like that (and Sekiro and the DS3 DLC). Bloodborne is far more segmented, and Dark Souls 3 is just strung together linearly (and Dark Souls 2 doesn't fit together at all).

It's still mostly fake (the levels don't truly fit together the way it looks, and the geography makes no sense), but they put a lot of effort into getting that sense of scale and having everything seem to be in place no matter where you are.
Demon's individual areas are sometimes like this, though mostly not visible from afar.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that vid brought back memories of trying to find the hole to Tomb of the Giants you should see from Demon Ruins.

It's not there. 0/10 cancel Miyazaki.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a fan of the details and layouts of the environment, but sometimes it's hard for me to accept their believeability. As a recent example in Sekiro, either the entire game takes place in and around Ashina castle, or all of Ashina is just that small. I refuse to believe a state in the Sengoku period is that small, but there is no evidence otherwise that states that there's more of Ashina than what we see.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah that vid brought back memories of trying to find the hole to Tomb of the Giants you should see from Demon Ruins.
I don't know why the interconnectedness is as nostalgia inducing as it is. Seeing a video of someone fighting a boss or running through an area or whatever = zero feelings but seeing someone take an elevator from point a to b then look off at point c = damn....

I will NEVER play Demon's / Dark 1 for the first time again šŸ˜” šŸ”«

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Just remembered this https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/226w9l/you_can_see_the_darklurker_in_the_chasm_under/

yONV3t6.jpg

sp00ky

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
šŸ
Oh shit I didn't know Illusory Wall was doing videos now. I remember his tumblr where he kept posting some mindblowing Souls stuff. Time to watch them all.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I've only played Dark Souls, but I never beat it.
I got to that crystal cave and got so pissed off that I stopped playing it. It's been almost a year now.

I want to continue playing it, but re-learning everything while being so far into the game is a recipe for disaster. I thought of restarting, but just thinking about having to repeat all those areas and all the soul farming I did just puts me off.

Another problem is that I can't seem to get stronger damage-wise. I already maxed my attack power, and I don't seem have found any GREAT weapon. I seem to be stuck with the upgrade system because even though I have the materials, none of the weapons can receive more upgrades after 3 or 4 upgrades.

I found a crystal spear which has been a life saver, but it can't be repaired and I can't seem to make more even though I seem to have the materials.

Another thing is the catacombs. It seems I need a holy weapon or something to be able to defeat the enemies there , and according to a FAQ I need to upgrade a weapon in a certain path to get it to be holy, but again, I can't seem to be able to upgrade anymore.

I really like the game and I want to see it through the end, but right now I feel more frustration and doubt than anything.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
I got to that crystal cave and got so pissed off that I stopped playing it. It's been almost a year now.
I know people will say other areas are worse but that's the worst area IMO, slipping off awkwardly shaped ledges, walking across invisible bridges and getting cursed there almost made me drop the game too.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
It's why Miyazaki's Soulsborne games are so good and why I can't get into other franchises that's trying to be like Soulsborne.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
I knew most of this stuff cuz I'm a fuckin nerd but it's still cool to me to see it again in a great format and presentation.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017

I want to continue playing it, but re-learning everything while being so far into the game is a recipe for disaster. I thought of restarting, but just thinking about having to repeat all those areas and all the soul farming I did just puts me off.

Another problem is that I can't seem to get stronger damage-wise. I already maxed my attack power, and I don't seem have found any GREAT weapon. I seem to be stuck with the upgrade system because even though I have the materials, none of the weapons can receive more upgrades after 3 or 4 upgrades.

I found a crystal spear which has been a life saver, but it can't be repaired and I can't seem to make more even though I seem to have the materials.

Another thing is the catacombs. It seems I need a holy weapon or something to be able to defeat the enemies there , and according to a FAQ I need to upgrade a weapon in a certain path to get it to be holy, but again, I can't seem to be able to upgrade anymore.

I really like the game and I want to see it through the end, but right now I feel more frustration and doubt than anything.
Most of this can be annoying but is pretty easily solvable if you look it up. Like the catacombs enemies will stay dead if you kill certain necromancer enemies running around. Some are hidden though so it might not be obvious where you have to go to kill the guy so skeletons stop respawning. Same with the weapon upgrades - the solution is easy if you look it up, but I know sometimes people don't like resorting to wikis all the time.

I'd suggest restarting and maybe summoning people to activate EZ mode if you just want to run through annoying areas.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Most of this can be annoying but is pretty easily solvable if you look it up. Like the catacombs enemies will stay dead if you kill certain necromancer enemies running around. Some are hidden though so it might not be obvious where you have to go to kill the guy so skeletons stop respawning. Same with the weapon upgrades - the solution is easy if you look it up, but I know sometimes people don't like resorting to wikis all the time.

I'd suggest restarting and maybe summoning people to activate EZ mode if you just want to run through annoying areas.

Problem is that by looking up one solution, I can spoil 5 others. I don't know how to summon people. I'm playing the Switch version so I don't know if there are other people playing it.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Back then I always wanted a map viewer or a way to easy clip through the environment, so it's awesome that the map explorer exists. I'm definitely going to try it in the future.

What an amazing game. It sounds like the creator of this video plans on showing some other easter eggs and out of bounds stuff, so i'm excited to see that.

It's a real shame that the later portion of Dark Souls feels unfinished, but I'm glad what exists, exists.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
There's this poster a friend of mine has - I think from Fangamer - that showcases the entirety of the DS zones in one image. It's neat.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 42472

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Izalith literally has dragon asses that walk around a giant lava pit.

New Londo is pretty much an empty boss run, but that works thematically

Parts of Tomb and Archives also feel a bit weak but still in the realm of thematic

Of the post Anor Londo content, I would say

1. Kiln and Archives are the most fleshed out
  2. Tomb and New Londo might have been intentional and might have been rushed
  3. Lost Izalith was on the to-do list up until a week before they went gold

Fumpster

Nov 4, 2017
I honestly think the latter half of the game is amazing as well, it's basically just the lava dragon butt area that doesn't feel finished. The temple area leading up to Bed of Chaos (which is obviously fuckin terrible as a boss) is a pretty good area. Otherwise, Oolacile, Archives, Tomb of the Giants, all of it is really good. At least in my opinion.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017

In the whole series stats don't often matter as much as your weapon upgrade level. There are several already divine class weapons that should do fine for the catacombs, you can for example take health off the skeletons with your main weapons and probably keep them dead if you do the final hit with a divine weapon so even an unupgraded one could work.

Personally on my first playthrough I just stuck with the Claymore because it has a good move set and you get it pretty early. The cool thing about this series is that there are lots of viable ways to play.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I think New Londo Ruins is great and I don't mind Tomb, though it's kind of an annoying area. Duke's is great as well. Lost Izalith just feels like a garbage area with garbage enemies but I don't know what more time would have done for them there, unless they were planning on redoing the entire map. More diverse enemies in that hellhole wouldn't have made things better, and Bed of Chaos is just filth without rush to blame imo.

ShiftyCow

Nov 4, 2017

I had the same experience of coming back to Dark Souls in late game after a long break, it was tough but it's doable. I've only beaten the game once so I'm not an expert or anything but I'm gonna try to give you some advice.

Basically the way it works is, after you've upgraded a weapon to a certain level like +5, you need to ascend it before you can upgrade it more. You do that in the "modify equipment" menu at a blacksmith. This menu is also where you can switch to a different upgrade path like crystal or divine, but if you want to get the best dex or strength scaling it's generally best to stick with normal path(crystal scales better but breaks).
If you got this far in the game without ever upgrading past +5, that's actually impressive lol, and you're gonna notice a huge difference in your damage output once you upgrade your weapon further and it's gonna make the game a lot easier.
As for the catacombs, yes you can kill the skeletons permanently with a divine weapon, but you can also just kill the necromancers who are reviving them. Whenever you kill one, the skeletons in their area won't get back up after killing them, and iirc the necromancers don't respawn.

Problem is that by looking up one solution, I can spoil 5 others. I don't know how to summon people. I'm playing the Switch version so I don't know if there are other people playing it.
You can only summon people when you're human. Use a humanity to reverse hollowing at any bonfire to become human. When you're human and in an area where the boss is still alive, you can see other people's summoning signs. They're usually around bonfires and right before bosses. You can also summon NPCs if you find their signs in specific places. If you got the white soapstone from Solaire you can put down your own summoning sign and be summoned by other people, help them kill a boss and you get souls and humanity. You don't need to be human for that.

btw I get that you don't want to look things up so you don't get spoiled but definitely look up how to access the DLC before you finish the game because it's kinda ridiculous and really easy to miss.

Hope this helps, good luck!

DNgamers

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I just found out about "vagrants" through this channel.
oJbLw0q.jpg

Wtf? How did I not encounter them in hundrets of hours playing this game over the years? Never even heard of them tbh. Haha!

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
The commitment to making the world seem whole and cohesive is one of the strengths DS1 still has over its counterparts, even if it's not 1-1, the work they put into making it believable is real neat.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That was a really cool video. Part of why Dark Souls was so good was how it had those landmarks that really help you orient yourself in the world. When games pull it off well (World of Warcraft, Breath of the Wild, Dark Souls, Outer Wilds, etc.) it adds such an amazing and immersive feeling to the world. Dark Souls is such an intricate world and they made it work despite the technical limitations they were working with. It's a master class in world design.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I just found out about "vagrants" through this channel.
oJbLw0q.jpg

Wtf? How did I not encounter them in hundrets of hours playing this game over the years? Never even heard of them tbh. Haha!
I think I saw them maybe twice during all my playtime. Slightly more often than gravelording.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Dark Souls 3 never gets appreciated enough in this aspect. Yes it's not layered on top of each other but close to the beginning of the game you come to this hill and you can see how basically every location is laid out.
High%2BWall%2Bof%2BLothric.png

DNgamers

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I think I saw them maybe twice during all my playtime. Slightly more often than gravelording.
I feel betrayed somehow!

Dark Souls 3 never gets appreciated enough in this aspect. Yes it's not layered on top of each other but close to the beginning of the game you come to this hill and you can see how basically every location is laid out.
Yes! The (almost) complete layout is all there! You can even see the iconic steps of Anor Londo from the beginning if you look closely!

Look! The Pie!

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I never get tired of reading about/watching videos on the world design of the Souls games, particularly DS1. Seeing where the blocked archway at Sen's Fortress leads to has just blown my mind.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I had the same experience of coming back to Dark Souls in late game after a long break, it was tough but it's doable. I've only beaten the game once so I'm not an expert or anything but I'm gonna try to give you some advice.

Basically the way it works is, after you've upgraded a weapon to a certain level like +5, you need to ascend it before you can upgrade it more. You do that in the "modify equipment" menu at a blacksmith. This menu is also where you can switch to a different upgrade path like crystal or divine, but if you want to get the best dex or strength scaling it's generally best to stick with normal path(crystal scales better but breaks).
If you got this far in the game without ever upgrading past +5, that's actually impressive lol, and you're gonna notice a huge difference in your damage output once you upgrade your weapon further and it's gonna make the game a lot easier.
As for the catacombs, yes you can kill the skeletons permanently with a divine weapon, but you can also just kill the necromancers who are reviving them. Whenever you kill one, the skeletons in their area won't get back up after killing them, and iirc the necromancers don't respawn.

You can only summon people when you're human. Use a humanity to reverse hollowing at any bonfire to become human. When you're human and in an area where the boss is still alive, you can see other people's summoning signs. They're usually around bonfires and right before bosses. You can also summon NPCs if you find their signs in specific places. If you got the white soapstone from Solaire you can put down your own summoning sign and be summoned by other people, help them kill a boss and you get souls and humanity. You don't need to be human for that.

btw I get that you don't want to look things up so you don't get spoiled but definitely look up how to access the DLC before you finish the game because it's kinda ridiculous and really easy to miss.

Hope this helps, good luck!

I think I did do the ascension, but I really don't know what path I went with. All I know is that I'm unable to upgrade my weapons any longer and I feel that enemies are still a bit too strong for me. At least the enemies in that library and the ones in anor londo.

Let's see if I can mount the courage to go back to it and get acclimated with everything again.

By the way, that huge woman that gives you the quick travel, why does she look so amazing? She's not made of polygons, right? That has to be a FMV projection or something.

Oct 28, 2017

This is extremely well done, it took me hours of gameplay and a walk on that broken portions of the bridge to realize that you could literally see everything from this location.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
This is extremely well done, it took me hours of gameplay and a walk on that broken portions of the bridge to realize that you could literally see everything from this location.
I need a labeled version of this; I don't even remember half the locations in 3 lol. I think I can see the dragon place in the mountains at least.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Too bad it's the most linear game in the series.