• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

A watermark can be briefly seen in Kingdom Hearts 3’s Let it Go cutscene

Nov 4, 2018

Says Arnold, located on both of Elsa’s arms.

(Source of spotting the second watermark:
I see "arnold" on both arms actually. lol
)

Apparently it shows up for a second then disappears so it’s incredibly unlikely you would ever notice unless someone pointed it out.

Still, considering this is likely a pre-rendered scene, if they wanted to remove this watermark they’d have to go back and re-render this scene and re-edit the video to fix the frames the watermark is present.

EDIT:

It's entirely possible development took so long their license expired lmao

(The more likely answer is that the machine that was being used to render it didn't have the license on it and they weren't aware, though.)
EDIT 2:

Again? This was in one of the HD Remixes too if I recall.
*Edit*
Yeah, here we go. It was in 0.2 Birth by Sleep.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
This apparently happens in a few others scenes in the game, but I’m not sure which ones exactly.

I wonder if they’ll patch the game and replace the affected scenes with “fixed” ones.

I see "arnold" on both arms actually. lol
Yup.

It's entirely possible development took so long their license expired lmao

(The more likely answer is that the machine that was being used to render it didn't have the license on it and they weren't aware, though.)

Oct 26, 2017
Could it be that the parts of the rendered scenes had artifacts errors and they had to use the Arnold renderer to replace those parts of the cutscenes but forgot to activate the license?
Strange they wouldn't use RenderMan seeing as that is Pixar's own rendering suite.

Oct 25, 2017
Arnold is the real secret villain of the series. We'll find out more about him in the next game on Switch not called Kingdom Hearts IV.

Could it be that the parts of the rendered scenes had artifacts errors and they had to use the Arnold renderer to replace those parts of the cutscenes but forgot to activate the license?
I didn't follow the rendering pipeline of Pixar but don't they strictly use Renderman instead of third party renderer? I know Disney Animation has the Hyperion renderer but do mix of other renderers.

/only knows how to use Vray, Mantra and Octane Renderer

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't follow the rendering pipeline of Pixar but don't they strictly use Renderman instead of third party renderer? I know Disney Animation has the Hyperion renderer but do mix of other renderers.

/only knows how to use Vray, Mantra and Octane Renderer
Yeah had a brain fart and updated the post. Still weird to me that in a Disney product they wouldn't opt to use the actual Pixar rendering suite to render ... you know uhh Pixar scenes.

Nov 5, 2018
Probably one of the nodes that was rendering that frame in particular has a bad variable configuration. If that the problem it must be more frames with the same issue in same or other preredered videos.

But if square made a final product with arnold and has a license issue it can be a mayor problem. Yes there is free and ilegal solutions to use it without watermark and noone will know. But with this pic everyone knows now. 🤣

OP
OP
Twenty5Thousand
Nov 4, 2018
Yeah had a brain fart and updated the post. Still weird to me that in a Disney product they wouldn't opt to use the actual Pixar rendering suite to render ... you know uhh Pixar scenes.
There could be any number of reasons why Pixar didn’t offer to have rendering done by their methods.

Asset incompatibility, pipeline issues, schedule conflicts, etc...

OP
OP
Twenty5Thousand
Nov 4, 2018
Definitely a licensing issue for the rendering software. The fact that it passed QA testing is a bit surprising tbh.
Probably figured nobody would notice, and if people nowadays didn’t have editing software that allowed people to go through this scene frame by frame, people would’ve likely not noticed for a long time.

Nov 1, 2017
I saw this in a video a couple days ago.

EDIT: Yup, Scott falco saw it at 4 min mark:

I thought it was a joke before.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Supposedly it's only in the English language version of the cutscene as well. The Arnold text isn't there in the Japanese language version.

Edit: First saw it mentioned here:

OP
OP
Twenty5Thousand
Nov 4, 2018
Supposedly it's only in the English language version of the cutscene as well. The Arnold text isn't there in the Japanese language version.
I remember hearing the game is animated for both the English and Japanese voices. If that’s true it makes sense that the Japanese version was rendered before the English one.

If this only shows up in some scenes but not others, I wonder what happened?

Different computers? License expired somewhere along the way? A dropped connection to a licensing server? If they just didn't have a license this would be in everything, right?