• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Another Kickstarter fail story as Kickstarter backers of recent release 'Monster Crown' who selected Switch as their platform still haven't been sent codes, with flimsy excuses from the developer starting to weigh thin. In the Kickstarter updates they apparently received codes for the EU copies on Friday but as of end of day today no EU backers have received them (and still radio silence on the NA codes).

Just another disappointing Kickstarter result and many are wondering if they will receive these codes at all after backing the project. I know I won't support this developer again.

PMA

Alt account / Attempted to circumvent ban with alt
Banned
Sep 13, 2021
does it 'cost' them to give out codes? Like they have to pay Nintendo? Maybe they are waiting on funds to come in from sales to cover it.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Should clarify if this is Switch codes only or if other platforms are having issues.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
does it 'cost' them to give out codes? Like they have to pay Nintendo? Maybe they are waiting on funds to come in from sales to cover it.
As far as we know steam is the only platform that gives free keys. Everyone else you have to pay.

Should clarify if this is Switch codes only or if other platforms are having issues.
It's hard to parse but the only platforms that were on Kickstarter appear to be PC/switch/Vita. Vita seems to be cancelled. All the other platforms were added on afterwards.

Last edited:

PMA

Banned
Sep 13, 2021
The developer should have checked the price in advance and set aside the needed amount. If the game didn't sell a single copy the backers should still have theirs.

Sorry I should have clarified- I was wondering if they had run into this. I agree with you and it's pretty scummy, and probably indicative of major financial issues (needing a loan to get me through the next couple of weeks, I'm good for it man!)

Damaging the biggest fans who kickstarted it is scummy also.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know how this works with Nintendo, but generally purchasing codes from a storefront is a percent of the price that the game is being sold for. Since the game is being sold for $30 but the Kickstarter price to get a code was $10, it's quite possible that the total cost to procure all the backer codes is more than the total amount of money that the Kickstarter brought in. And since the Kickstarter was over 3 years ago, it's likely that all of that money is long gone. It's quite possible that they're stuck having promised a lot more than they can actually fulfill at this point.

Basically, it's incredibly risky to promise digital console codes in Kickstarters unless you have a deal in place to get them for free (we did this with Cosmic Star Heroine) or unless you take into account those costs and set aside that money (and most indies who are doing Kickstarters don't have the kind of money or planning to do so). Thinking that Kickstarter funds are free money to develop when in most cases it's more like a loan that has to be paid back with interest is a big mistake.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Happens with physical items in a similar way; back a product and wait years only to have it be on store shelves significantly before you get it.

It's a pretty crap platform from a consumer perspective.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah one of the interesting things I learned from the Psychonaunts 2 Fig campaign is that developers/publishers have to pay the full 30% digital cut (or $18 for a $60 games) to get keys from Microsoft or Sony. You can see in the FAQ that's why console codes cost extra and if you look at the pricing it's an extra $18 for console codes. Really unfortunate that Sony and Microsoft (and I'm guessing likely Nintendo as well) don't at the very least give out free codes for Kickstarter backers.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I'm a backer, so I can see update #75 that mentions the problem.

We had some bad news strike early last week and while I can't get into too many details, getting all these keys came at a considerable expense and fulfilment is costing more for most backers than the backing amount they contributed, that's right! The things you learn as a first-time game developer!

That being said, my own funds combined with Soedesco swooping in to provide a LOT of fantastic help and the means to fulfill this, all has been made possible and the keys are being processed without a hitch. The order was put in early last week and while we don't have a specific time for when they'll arrive to us we're just waiting on them to land in our inbox to start sending them out!

That was eight days ago, so seems like it perhaps did not go without a hitch like they say.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Seriously though, the "oops we had no idea" doesn't fly anymore after ten years of video game kickstarters. The resources are out there. Ask someone. Inform yourself if you're asking people to support you with money and promise them stuff for it. Especially the "oh we don't have codes for backers yet!" drama has happened so fucking many times.

PMA

Banned
Sep 13, 2021
Yeah one of the interesting things I learned from the Psychonaunts 2 Fig campaign is that developers/publishers have to pay the full 30% digital cut (or $18 for a $60 games) to get keys from Microsoft or Sony. You can see in the FAQ that's why console codes cost extra and if you look at the pricing it's an extra $18 for console codes. Really unfortunate that Sony and Microsoft (and I'm guessing likely Nintendo as well) don't at the very least give out free codes for Kickstarter backers.

i mean if they didn't take a cut how does the business model work for consoles. Wouldn't it make sense for me to sell a copy on my website and then request a free code for that sale if this was the case?

Mar 11, 2020
Idk if Switch got patched yet but i beat Monster Crown already on PC. Decent game. But the switch version is bugged so bad with progress halting bugs it needs/needed the day one patch super bad. Nintendo was holding that up. So idk if you would want to play it yet anyways. Better to hold off for now. PC version has been patched up well.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's also worth noting that the Steam version is $20 while the Switch version is $30 lmaoooo. And apparently it's really buggy yeah.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
i mean if they didn't take a cut how does the business model work for consoles. Wouldn't it make sense for me to sell a copy on my website and then request a free code for that sale if this was the case?
Steam allows this; but they are the exception not the rule.. and as many argue, not really in the same business providing console platforms.

Lightning

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I think it's also worth noting that the Steam version is $20 while the Switch version is $30 lmaoooo. And apparently it's really buggy yeah.

The current patch fixes the like..3 bugs that were in the game, as well as performance. It's not "really buggy".

There was an email about this today - Nintendo didn't send the keys out and they're reaching out for a solution.

6ab53637742f72258c02c587371077e6.png

This thread is massively clickbaity.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
The current patch fixes the like..3 bugs that were in the game, as well as performance. It's not "really buggy".

There was an email about this today - Nintendo didn't send the keys out and they're reaching out for a solution.

Looks like it was way more than 3 bugs to me https://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/58585/monster-crown-switch-review

I do plan to get the game after lunch actually since this thread informed me that it finally came out and I've been waiting ages for it to come out of early access, but it will be on Steam because I'm not paying $10 more for a version that seems rushed and is going to be behind on patches for a bit anyways.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018

Listen, I'm not one to get outraged over stuff like this, and I agree with you on the fact that the game is not that buggy and the dev is still working on improving the performance on Switch, so zero complaints on that front.

That said, the thread is not 'clickbaity' at all. The update that you posted is about NA keys, not EU ones. Those were "being sent by Soedesco" a week ago, and as far as I know no one has gotten them as of yet.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Listen, I'm not one to get outraged over stuff like this, and I agree with you on the fact that the game is not that buggy and the dev is still working on improving the performance on Switch, so zero complaints on that front.

That said, the thread is not 'clickbaity' at all. The update that you posted is about NA keys, not EU ones. Those were "being sent by Soedesco" a week ago, and as far as I know no one has gotten them as of yet.
They do seem to actually have the EU codes, because they were sending them to people who posted in the comments saying they didn't have it yet. Why the rollout is so slow or unorganized, though, is anyone's guess. It does look like a lot of the comments were saying they were Vita backers who switched to Switch, so maybe that has something to do with it.

BossLackey

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Kickstarter was a mistake.

For every successful Kickstarter there are a thousand where the creators massively fuck over the backers.

I have a friend that sank about a grand into random Kickstarters like 3 years ago. I think he's received one of those items since then.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington

For every successful Kickstarter there are a thousand where the creators massively fuck over the backers.

I have a friend that sank about a grand into random Kickstarters like 3 years ago. I think he's received one of those items since then.

Kickstarter is only especially risky for certain categories, games being one of them. A lot of smaller scale stuff with less expenses and moving parts don't have near the risk of tech/gaming campaigns.

So no, Kickstarter is definitely not a mistake.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017

I've backed hundreds of campaigns and only had about a dozen fail to follow through. A few of those were in retrospect overflowing with red flags, but they were early on and I learned my lesson. The others were genuine attempts but had their own unforeseeable issues. Sometimes shit happens.

It's generally quite easy to identify campaigns that are going to have a lot of trouble, so it's up to you to take the risk or not. Because it is always a risk. But there are degrees, and I mostly avoid riskier ones, unless it's something particularly unique or interesting to me, in which case I'll back at a low amount. Maybe your friend should try the same.

Also maybe stop treating it like a preorder platform. It ain't one. (Unless you're into board games, then you're probably fine, they're all fucking huge these days.)

It IS true, however, that video games are probably the hardest ones to trust in, because video game development in general is already a huge fucking mess, to the point where even long lasting professionals regularly underestimate the time it takes to get things done. It's no surprise indie devs take forever to get shit out and have a lot of problems. There are so many potential points of failure, from coding to music to art to writing to publishing to manufacturing to etc etc etc...

tee ell dee arr Kickstarter is great just don't fall for your own hype and expect more than you should

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

I mostly back videogame kickstarters and success rate for finished products has been about 95%. You can minimise losses very well by carefully reading kickstarter pitches and figuring out how likely it is the developer can do what they promise.

Many great games exist thanks to kickstarters that otherwise would not have, so it is most certainly not a mistake. You just need to understand the risks going in.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
US Switch keys are finally going out. Received an email with mine 4 hours ago.