• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
National Museum of African American History and Culture, for those (like me) who didn't know what the acronym stood for.

And I'm thinking it would probably be better to have African Americans curating exhibits specifically tailored to their culture.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
maybe she will do a good job?

ARRpBbx.gif

woman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
If she is doing a good job I don't see the issue personally.
I do. As a white person, she accepted an opportunity to stand as an authority of black art. However knowledgeable she is, the role would be best fit by a black person. Like damn, black people can't even curate an exhibit preserving their own cultural artifacts?

Dec 12, 2017
so someone tweeted this yesterday:

and people have been responding from all over about whether or not white people should be in charge of curating black art at a museum (which has always been a completely white space).

these are basically my thoughts:

This is the tweet I agree with the most. I couldn't in good conscious as a straight black male guy accept a position to curate a LGBTQ exhibit, or a Latino exhibit etc.

fushi

Oct 26, 2017
For one reason or another most of my favorite rap critics have been white females. Completely anecdotal, but there you go.

Krauser Kat

Oct 27, 2017
Would love to see how many black women ( and people of color) they interviewed for this.

I bet more white women have degrees in black culture then people of color because of wealth differences. Still doesnt make it right to let them decided what is cultural to one they dont belong too.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Initial reaction wants me to know if she lead the push and effort to get the exhibit. If this is her life's work, yeah put her in charge for making it happen in the first place.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I'm thinking broadly here. Let's remove Hip-Hop and put this in a greater context. If this were any other cultural exhibit at the Smithsonian, would anyone be surprised at members of that culture requesting that someone who was born of the culture be at the helm?

This woman is respected and knows her history, by all accounts. But still, I can't help but feel that the rush by some to say, "Oh, this shouldn't even be a big deal" is another instance in which Black culture and history is treated as a lesser thing.

OP
OP
RastaMentality
Oct 25, 2017

Her personal friends are going idiotic heights
trying to defend her. April made OscarsSoWhite and now she's using the exact same damned arguments white folks use when they don't want to hire POC.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
As long as she puts ATLiens as the s first thing she's alright with me.
Man, first they were some pimps. Then they were some aliens or some genies - some shit. Then they be talkin' 'bout that black righteous spaceman. Fuck them. I ain't fuckin' with them no mo.

Aquemini would be good with me too

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
If she does the job well and better than anyone else, than she should have it. Any other feeling towards it is letting someone's skin color dictate your feelings, which should make you feel like absolute shit.

woman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
If she does the job well and better than anyone else, than she should have it. Any other feeling towards it is letting someone's skin color dictate your feelings, which should make you feel like absolute shit.
What the hell? If skin color didn't dictate feelings then this museum wouldn't even exist.

Skin color affects lived experience, which impact your feelings.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
Not that it will matter to many folks, but here is the lady in question:

https://timothyanne.com/

Timothy began her career with the Smithsonian at the National Museum of American History in 2003 where she worked in the Archives Center and Division of Cultural History, then helped to launch that museum's hip-hop collecting initiative in 2006. In 2009 she joined what was then a small NMAAHC team to work on an exhibition about the Apollo Theater in Harlem, New York that toured the country from 2010-2012. She collected objects and developed content for multiple NMAAHC inaugural exhibitions, including Musical Crossroads, Sports: Leveling the Playing Field, Taking the Stage, Cultural Expressions, and Power of Place. In addition to collecting and developing projects for the NMAAHC, Timothy is currently working on the forthcoming Smithsonian Anthology of Hip-Hop and Rap, the first collection to include music from every major label and dozens of independent label recordings. With songs, photographs, essays, and extensive liner notes, the Anthology reveals the cultural, social and political implications of this multifaceted genre, and provides a unique window into the many ways hip-hop has created new traditions and furthered musical and cultural traditions of the African diaspora.

She clearly has the museum cred, but I think the hire from within argument is flawed. How many black museum curators are there? Is it an area that is friendly to people of color to pursue? And how many are at the Smithsonian, or would have the same opportunities to get in there in the first place.

Like, was Fab 5 Freddy too busy? Any number of college professors around the country that study and teach about hip hop?

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Don't these positions typically have PhDs or Masters in their field plus museum experience? I can't imagine there's more than a handful of people who are able and willing to take the position.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
There's absolutely something to be said about hiring white people to be the gatekeepers of black culture, though without more context I'm not sure I know enough about this particular hire.

OP
OP
RastaMentality
Oct 25, 2017
This literally goes against the entire idea of a black museum. congrats on the terrible post

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

She clearly has the museum cred, but I think the hire from within argument is flawed. How many black museum curators are there? Is it an area that is friendly to people of color to pursue? And how many are at the Smithsonian, or would have the same opportunities to get in there in the first place.

Like, was Fab 5 Freddy too busy? Any number of college professors around the country that study and teach about hip hop?
I say based on this post alone....she's qualified.

OP
OP
RastaMentality
Oct 25, 2017

Are we supposed to believe this woman was the only fit for the job among the tons of black academics that work at HBCUs and study hip hop for a living? Like really.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
somebody has to do it and it needs to get done. if she does a bad job then do something about it. luckily we're not in the position where its all ethnologists and sociologists trying to chart a dying culture.

(one that they helped kill) so let her cook and see how it goes, but take a closer look now that you have our attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.