• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
No. That is incorrect, and highly reductive. Just read the thread. Its pretty informative.

I read the first several pages when the thread went up, but haven't touched it since the update. Not sure if I wanna read through 13-14 pages of forum posts. Unless you are saying there is legit shit to be known in here...and I mean LEGIT.

TokyoJoe

Oct 28, 2017
No problems with this. She's knowledgeable, has an understanding and can keep old racist white men away from destroying another culture.

She has my support.

This is not Rachel and her nonsense about wanting to be black.

aSqueakyLime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
England
This thread is beyond crap. Having read a lot of pages, surprised it hasn't been locked yet. Yay for harassment, I guess? I mean calling the black people who supported her uncle toms is pretty drastic and uncalled for.

Pretty embarrassing.

Benita

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
Simply replacing the OP wholesale is a garbage move.

Walk your shit back and take accountability for fucking up.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
I read the first several pages when the thread went up, but haven't touched it since the update. Not sure if I wanna read through 13-14 pages of forum posts. Unless you are saying there is legit shit to be known in here...and I mean LEGIT.

"I'm trying to catch up but can't actually be bothered so I'm just going to cry for some attention instead"

Dragnipur

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
I guess it comes down to whether you value the discussion that was had, or whether you're just curious about what the end result of it was.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Simply replacing the OP wholesale is a garbage move.

Walk your shit back and take accountability for fucking up.

Oh wow, yeah just straight up removed and replaced. gg OP

Great job completely replacing the OP so this thread makes even less sense.

Oh, Jesus. I didn't even notice that.

And now he's in here defending the thread with, "It sucks that she was harassed but hey, we had a conversation about important issues, right guys?"

Oof.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Not to toot my own horn, but this is the result of 10-15 min of Googling I did earlier today. (For whatever reason, OP refuses to include these posts in the revised OP as context and supporting evidence.)
RepostIng this to the new page because this whole thread is based on what are basically inaccurate information.

How The Smithsonian Is Building Its New, Sweeping Collection Of Black American Music
Smithsonian Music - Dr. Kevin Strait

There is no "hip hop section" in the NMAAHC. There's an exhibit that speaks generally about African American musical history, called Musical Crossroads, which appears to have been open since 2016 (when the NMAAHC was opened).

The collection being talked about is an out of context reference to the upcoming Smithsonian Anthology of Hip-Hop and Rap, which is due to be released later this year. This is a collection of music, essays, and photographs from different contributers. Ms. Burnside is one of the people putting together this anthology, but how big of a role she has is unclear. The "announcement video", if you will:

Man, I totally wasted my time, didn't I?

This is your friendly reminder that
1) there is no "hip hop collection" at NMAAHC, just a general music exhibit called "Musical Crossroads",
2) Ms. Burnside played a role in procurement and curation of items, but as part of a team. At least one of that team of experts, one Dr. Kevin Strait, is black. There is no evidence that supports the idea that she played an outsized or leadership role in creating the exhibit.
3) The "collection" of hip hop is a forthcoming anthology being created in part by NMAAHC. She is on the team behind this anthology. There's no evidence that suggests she is the sole individual or shotcaller behind putting together the anthology.
Then Super Corpse Soldier pointed out that the Tweetthread OP posted to prove Burnside was THE curator actually proved the opposite, and that was all she wrote.

Personally, I don't think whatever "discussion" was had in this thread was worth it. It got very ugly.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The thread is 1,500 posts long. It's quite fair for someone to ask for a recap at this point, especially given how much the situation changed.

tl;dr (from my pov)

• Twitter got outraged, because the Hip Hop section of the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History & Culture, was curated by a white woman.
  • OP created a thread
  • Then it was found out she has been working there 10+ years.
  • It was also found out she is passionate about her work.
  • So people realised her qualifications were alright
  • the discussion morphed into one about black representation, and the exhibit being potentially whitewashed
  • Then it was revealed that the museum has predominantly black staff, she has black bosses, etc.
  • The word "Bad Optics" was used a lot.
  • Some users suggested that only black people should be given roles in the museum.
  • Some users suggest it would be "weird" for a black person to be curating a Norwegian museum
  • Some users suggested that is kinda racist...
  • Some users suggested that it's racist for suggesting it's racist?
  • Some black users thought the outrage was nonsensical, atleast one was called an uncle toms in the process
  • Some users thought it was a thoughtful discussion about black representation vs diversity

• Then it turned out there was no such thing as the "hip hop section"
  • The lady didn't really have a senior position in the museum
  • fake news?
  • Also her website is now down :/

the thing I find interesting is that the revelation that she's not a senior person is the thing to calm this thread down.

It's fucking insane that in 2018, the idea of a non-black person having a senior position at a black museum really that... controversial?

Last edited:

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Guys sure the OP was wrong and we've harassed someone who should be a valued ally, maligned the credentials and ideals of the most important black museum in the country, and called a bunch of important and influential leaders in the black community uncle toms. All because of some lies and misinformation.

But consider this, what if it was real? Huh? Isn't angrily discussing a hypothetical situation that isn't actually happening worth all those bad things?"

This has been the excuse of right-wing reactionaries for decades, and they do it because traditional media allowed them to. The unfortunate reality is the internet is very similar to other forms of media. Essentially another tool to propagate false conservative narratives about principles, and anger people with false stories and hypotheticals.

Maurice Hamblin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Apr 6, 2018
This thread is an embarrassment. You people sit on your high-horses all day looking down on people cry "fake news" but you sat here for damn near 30 pages reacting to a story/situation you knew dick all about based on a random tweet.

Truly pathetic. How is this not locked?

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
This thread is an embarrassment. You people sit on your high-horses all day looking down on people cry "fake news" but you sat here for damn near 30 pages reacting to a story/situation you knew dick all about based on a random tweet.

Truly pathetic. How is this not locked?

At this point, it's probably better to keep it open for a bit longer as many people left the thread thinking one thing and are unaware of the updates.

Closing it now would feel a bit awkward, as if we're pretending it never happened.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
tl;dr

• Twitter got outraged, because the Hip Hop section of the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History & Culture, was curated by a white woman.
  • OP created a thread
  • Then it was found out she has been working there 10+ years.
  • It was also found out she is passionate about her work.
  • So people realised her qualifications were alright
  • the outrage morphed into one about black representation, and the exhibit being potentially whitewashed
  • Then it was revealed that the museum has predominantly black staff, she has black bosses, etc.
  • The word "Bad Optics" was used a lot.
  • Some users suggested that only black people should be given roles in the museum.
  • Some users suggest it would be "weird" for a black person to be curating a Norwegian museum
  • Some users suggested that is kinda racist...
  • Some black users thought the outrage was nonsensical, atleast one was called an uncle toms in the process
  • Then it turned out there was no such thing as the "hip hop section"
  • The lady didn't really have a senior position in the museum

the thing I find interesting is that the revelation that she's not a senior person is the thing to calm this thread down.

It's fucking insane that in 2018, the idea of a non-black person having a senior position at a black museum really that... controversial?
Ah, this one is definitely directed towards me. My point was that I found it hard to believe that a black person would be given the same benefit of the doubt regarding the strength of their credentials to curate something outside of their perceived cultural background.

Also, I find it a little unfair that many people's arguments are being misrepresented. A lot of sentiment here was from the standpoint of representation from the beginning. I'm not exactly sure why the prevailing summary of the "opposition's" argument was that Burnside's race invalidated her credentials. I sure as shit didn't argue that. Nor did someone like Royalan, etc.

OP
OP
RastaMentality
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, Jesus. I didn't even notice that.

And now he's in here defending the thread with, "It sucks that she was harassed but hey, we had a conversation about important issues, right guys?"

Oof.
Oof. the conversation about black representation in black cultural spaces was important and a lot of good points were made over the past 20 pages.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, this one is definitely directed towards me. My point was that I found it hard to believe that a black person would be given the same benefit of the doubt regarding the strength of their credentials to curate something outside of their perceived cultural background.

Also, I find it a little unfair that many people's arguments are being misrepresented. A lot of sentiment here was from the standpoint of representation from the beginning. I'm not exactly sure why the prevailing summary of the "opposition's" argument was that Burnside's race invalidated her credentials. I sure as shit didn't argue that. Nor did someone like Royalan, etc.
The misrepresentation is because the several faux-liberal racists that populate this site see this thread as the ultimate gotcha-moment and are reveling in black people mistakenly being annoyed with something they perceived to be true :)

Ultimately this thread was a nice discussion about why it's important to have black representation in black spaces, not that that should disallow people of other backgrounds to be included as well

vertigo

Aug 25, 2018
Brooklyn
Oh man. 31 pages. i dunno what i think about this, i mean if i was in her position i wouldn't and i find it irresponsible and kinda gross but there are plenty of other things i can be outraged about and spend my energy on and this isnt one of them. but i understand it. not to discount everyones response to it

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017

The problem with the representation argument was that it was established pretty early on that there was a lot of African American staff in both lower and upper echelons at the African American history museum. So in that context, what does "representation" mean? Does it mean a black monopoly on jobs there, de facto if not de jure? Or does it mean diversity, in the sense of many people of different backgrounds coming together? People were arguing that she should have allowed her position to be filled by a black person to promote "representation" in that context.

Benita

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
Oof. the conversation about black representation in black cultural spaces was important and a lot of good points were made over the past 20 pages.
That conversation happened despite your inflammatory OP, not because of.

So not only you pretending you didn't fuck up by blasting this woman and her employer from the jump, you're trying to twist it into being the catalyst for an important discussion.

OP
OP
RastaMentality
Oct 25, 2017
That conversation happened despite your inflammatory OP, not because of.

So not only you pretending you didn't fuck up by blasting this woman and her employer from the jump, you're trying to twist it into being the catalyst for an important discussion.
Considering that was literally the point of the discussion, ya the thread was the catalyst for it.

vertigo

Aug 25, 2018
Brooklyn
okay read through some of this, what the fuck. embarrassing op. if you wanted to make a point about representation in cultural historical spaces there are good ways to have that conversation and spreading misinformation and inciting inflammatory responses is not that. just is bad for everyone.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
"I'm trying to catch up but can't actually be bothered so I'm just going to cry for some attention instead"

fuckin lol

Not trying to offend anyone, but I can't just sit here to read through 30 pages straight of a thread. I have to leave and come back. It would take me a very long ass time to finish a thread like this.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't doubt this happens.... but it's also the kinda thought patterns we need to stomp out, not reinforce.

OP
OP
RastaMentality
Oct 25, 2017
The point of your OP was to call out this poor lady and the people who were defending her. Any discussion about representation in the study of black spaces was incidental to that.
The point of the OP was literally "should white people be allowed to lead black cultural sections of museums?" You're still acting like people were attacking the woman the entire thread.

Hell, Timothy's name wasn't even IN the OP beforehand.

Rose Red

Oct 26, 2017
"I guess we didn't learn anything about fake news or dangerous social media witch hunts based on nothing, since there was a teachable moment there. I guess nobody learned anything but the important thing is that we can all feel good about ourselves."

It's like saying an Alex Jones video on gay frogs led to some groundbreaking LGBT discussion.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
The problem with the representation argument was that it was established pretty early on that there was a lot of African American staff in both lower and upper echelons at the African American history museum. So in that context, what does "representation" mean?

Not everyone will agree, but here's my take.

I think a big reason that people got so frustrated by this issue, was that it wasn't just about any aspect of Black culture. It was about Hip Hop, specifically. Hip Hop, which is still relatively new, relatively young, and not particularly highly regarded (despite its obvious influence and selling power). And when I say not highly regarded, I don't just mean by white people and pundits on Fox who think it's the cause of all of society's ills. I mean by other black people. Older black people.

I can't speak for everybody, but in my family, when I was a kid if I ever played anything rap around my elders that wasn't "Summertime" by Will Smith it was immediately regarded as garbage. Turn that shit off!

Hip Hop, despite its deserved cultural place, is still fighting for its legitimacy as not just an artform, but a black artform. And so you have this idea of an exhibit, honoring Hip Hop, in the most prominent African American history museum in the country, and the honor of curating it is being given to a white person. I made clear in pretty much all of my posts that I respect Burnside and had no doubt to her qualifications and dedication to such a project...but again, I can't pretend to not know why that would tick people off. Black people have been fighting for Hip Hop to be respected.

I also understand why the "well, the leadership of the museum is Black and they chose her, so..." didn't carry a whole lot of weight for a lot of people, because it fell in line with the dismissive attitudes towards Hip Hop that a lot of black people associate with not just out-of-touch white people, but out-of-touch older black people. You don't care about Hip Hop anyway, you think it's trash, so of course you'd toss this off to the immediate white person available.

And again I feel the need to say that this isn't how I feel. But we're talking about a group of people that has only ever had their culture taken advantage of and appropriated in this country. Is anyone really surprised at the initial backlash?

And that's why I still say that while everybody was going off on Twitter about this over the weekend, somebody in the know could have fixed their fingers to say, "Everyone chill, it's not what you think it is." Instead, pretty much everyone was saying, "It is what you think it is, and you're making a big deal over nothing."​

Status
Not open for further replies.