• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I could compare her to other racist white women who have done horrible things to the black community

A white women or white man should not be the head of the Smithsonian

I think of a certain ice cube song that I would play post right now but I'm not sure how it would go over starts with cave then something something

I just want to know one thing...

When do you start giving away the cool super weapons..?

this woman is abundantly qualified, although with a lens of history, its likely due to privilege. But, shes qualified, she has a history with the smithsonian.

I just want to hear why they couldn't find any black people..were they late to the interviews...? And that is just me being curious. What the reasoning was, as this was going to only go one way online, in todays world of tweets as news.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
man the funniest thing about all of this is seeing the twitter blue checkmark black "activists" who are buddy buddy with this woman completely destroy any sort of credibility and good faith they've had

ooof

chicken_pasta

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The person said that the museum didn't prop up hip hop until she came along. What are you even replying to
Did you even see the 35 minute interview she gave to Left of Black, where she mentioned she managed to convince the Smithsonian to add hip hop to the music collection, only after explaining how it shared many characteristics and in some way it was the evolution to other genres they had in the collection already? Yeah, the white lady did that. Crazy shit, no?

woman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
This specific branch of the Smithsonian however is run by a predominantly black board. A board which had the most control over who would have curated the exhibit.

So the point being, if the entire thing because it's a subsidiary of the Smithsonian is going to be hand-waived as a white institution, then I'm not sure what people here who are against Burnside's position are mad about. The NMAAHC should thereby be considered a farce at which point, who gives a shit who runs what?
It's not being handwaved as a white institution. It's a statement of fact. It doesn't mean all their efforts must be in vain. What don't you get?

And it was only brought up because apparently we were supposed to applaud Burnside for being a part of the effort to get the National Museum of American History to start collecting hip hop in 2006. As if that's a credit to her and not evidence that they have a lot of work to do in giving african american history its due.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just want to know one thing...

When do you start giving away the cool super weapons..?

this woman is abundantly qualified, although with a lens of history, its likely due to privilege. But, shes qualified, she has a history with the smithsonian.

I just want to hear why they couldn't find any black people..were they late to the interviews...? And that is just me being curious. What the reasoning was, as this was going to only go one way online, in todays world of tweets as news.

No one doubts she's qualified. That isn't the issue.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Soo, who took this decision?
It's these people, right?
We're gonna armchair judge a group of mostly-black people for their decision on who to put in charge of their own museum?

Power balance is fine here. If she brought up a kickass collection and museum creds, and the majority-black museum council decided she got a shot, i'm trusting them there were good enough reasons for that.

I'm reaaally not comfortable screaming "Internalized racism" at that director.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
so someone tweeted this yesterday about the National Museum of African American History and Culture hiring a white woman to be the lead curator of hip hop:

and people have been responding from all over about whether or not white people should be in charge of curating black art at a museum (which has always been a completely white space).

these are basically my thoughts:

So what's his goal here? To get her fired or to shame her into stepping down because he's an ass?

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
No one doubts she's qualified. That isn't the issue.

From the sounds of it, shes qualified, and this was sort of her project....Where else can we go with this? I'm really starting to believe that yes, no black people were doing this.

If they needed a white woman to convince to include a hip hop exhibit in a museum about black history then no, I don't trust the leadership on this particular matter

Yeah, I need more facts to figure out how all of this went down.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they needed a white woman to convince to include a hip hop exhibit in a museum about black history then no, I don't trust the leadership on this particular matter

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Let's stay on topic, y'all. And no need to resort to extreme comparisons to make an argument.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not being handwaved as a white institution. It's a statement of fact. It doesn't mean all their efforts must be in vain. What don't you get?

And it was only brought up because apparently we were supposed to applaud Burnside for being a part of the effort to get the National Museum of American History to start collecting hip hop in 2006. As if that's a credit to her and not evidence that they have a lot of work to do in giving african american history its due.
Both those things can be true.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could compare her to other racist white women who have done horrible things to the black community

A white women or white man should not be the head of the Smithsonian

I think of a certain ice cube song that I would play post right now but I'm not sure how it would go over starts with cave then something something
Youre calling others racist and in the next line talking about how a specific color of a person should not be in charge of something...because of the color of their skin. Do you understand that is what you're doing? Do you understand that is racist as well?

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017

So, wait, we're not supposed to give credit to someone who did something that is very much a positive? She cannot be applauded for doing something that should have been done and wasn't, convinced what you are implying to be a racist (or at the very least biased) institution to do something that would be against their perceived norm, and then given a chance to continue that work in a meaningful way?

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017
I'm really surprised she accepted this position. She seems to be someone with significant knowledge of the culture, so you would expect that she would be very aware of just how sensitive and potentially insulting this would be?

This is not a situation that we should have ended up in.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Hello!

Youre calling others racist and in the next line talking about how a specific color of a person should not be in charge of something...because of the color of their skin. Do you understand that is what you're doing? Do you understand that is racist?

At the very least, the museum should've been prepared to handle speculation about this. They weren't. Which is troubling.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
From the sounds of it, shes qualified, and this was sort of her project.... I mean, where else can we go with this? I mean, I'm really starting to believe that yes, no black people were doing this.

Yeah, I need more facts to figure out how all of this went down.
This is the same tired argument we see all of the time with actors.

Like I said before it seem black people are never qualified for their own culture.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why are people so comfortable telling black folk how they should feel?

So many ITT are doing exactly that. The forum would explode if people were co-singing that women should be ok with a white dude mansplaining women's reproductive health. Because, that's only something a woman can truly and wholly understand.

How can people not understand that this is the same?

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
If she's qualified, I don't see a major problem. I understand the moral issue, though. But I'm jewish and I wouldn't have an issue if a gentile put together a Jewish History exhibit, as long it was well-researched and pulled from multiple experiences and sources. People major in different cultural studies, whether it's Asian, African or European - if they know their stuff, then they know their stuff.

If a white person pursues a Bachelor of Arts or a graduate degree in African American studies and specializes in music, then what job can he/she get without causing controversy? Not a rhetorical question, I'm genuinely asking.

Last edited:

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
This is the same tired argument we see all of the time with actors.

I disagree, This one we can zoom in and enhance. You've got a Black museum, with blacks running the thing. And you've got a white woman, seemingly pushing for a Hip Hop edge to the whole thing. She gets the job... So I yes, my questions have to go to the black heads of the musuem, why wasn't hip hop anywhere on the table to begin with? And if she was the only one pushing for it, how else is a black person going to get that job? Blackmosis?

This is not the same thing as ben kingsley in ___name any movie___. Its more like Jared Leto pushing Tyler perry to make a movie about Black jesus staring him, and it is one hell of a script... plus hes secured most of the funding...

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

So many ITT are doing exactly that. The forum would explode if people were co-singing that women should be ok with a white dude mansplaining women's reproductive health. Because, that's only something a woman can truly and wholly understand.

same old shit that happens every thread, only surprising thing about it is some black folk ITT thinking this is ok

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017

From what I can tell, we have black posters opposed to her, and those in favor. Some completely indifferent. I'm white and won't chip in with my own opinion, but you can tell there is no unified one on this matter from the black community at least here.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I disagree, This one we can zoom in and enhance. You've got a Black museum, with blacks running the thing. And you've got a white woman, seemingly pushing for a Hip Hop edge to the whole thing. She gets the job... So I yes, my questions have to go to the black heads of the musuem, why wasn't hip hop anywhere on the table to begin with? And if she was the only one pushing for it, how else is a black person going to get that job? Blackmosis?

This is not the same thing as ben kingsley in ___name any movie___.

This is a fair point. "The leadership chose her, and they're black" is a poor excuse to me.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017

You're worried about other people who aren't Burnside trying to heap too much praise on her for trying to get a hip-hop exhibit in the NMAH?

This is the major concern we're having? I mean, I'm sorry but I can't help but feel like getting bent out of shape about other people acting like fools propping her up like she's the Big Daddy Kane of museum curation isn't really worth getting outraged about.

My understanding for why that was being brought up was just as a bullet point on her resume that she's passionate about the subject matter and that she's not coming at this as a person who listened to Hello Nasty once and then suddenly was considered an expert on Hip Hop.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Is the white man in question a gynecologist? In that case, his medical understanding of women's reproductive health would probably be much greater than the average woman's, though he would not have firsthand knowledge of what menstruation or child birth feels like, no. Just taking this analogy further, it is entirely understandable that some women may be uncomfortable with visiting a male gynecologist for a wide variety of reasons...but that wouldn't negate a doctor's medical expertise.

Similarly, it is entirely understandable that a white person curating an exhibit on hip hop would make some black people uncomfortable, and they are well within their rights to voice that discomfort. That doesn't invalidate her professional qualifications and prior work though.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps she could...write it down for them?

I fucking wish she would.

You know why.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Why is that suprising? Black folk aren't a hivemind and can think for themselves.
maybe i should have rephrased myself? when it comes to this discussion i don't like how some black folk are eager to handwave the concerns of others. however qualified she may be, i don't think it's a particularly good decision and the leadership being black means jack shit here.

Dragnipur

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
maybe i should have rephrased myself? when it comes to this discussion i don't like how some black folk are eager to handwave the concerns of others. however qualified she may be, i don't think it's a particularly good decision and the leadership being black means jack shit here.
You're doing the same to them though, handwaving their support/indifference. That's no better.

Dec 9, 2017

So male gynecologist shouldn't exist is what you're saying?

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
...so then by your logic their opinion on the matter just plain doesnt matter. If it's not in agreement with how you view it, they should just keep it to themselves? You are quite literally telling them how they should feel about this...

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yes, but it's like... why do you think the museum was more amenable to her efforts vs the efforts certainly made by african americans in the past
Absolutely, that is a fair point, and something the museum profession is currently struggling with. Most museum exhibits are curated by people without a direct, personal connection to the people or cultures the exhibit represents. Museums have tried to solve this disconnect by engaging in dialogue with the people of these cultures, if they still exist, and work with them to present the material in a way that is respectful to their culture.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
This is a fair point. "The leadership chose her, and they're black" is a poor excuse to me.

Im starting to think this division over the issue was the intended effect from the way this news was delivered... im reading the news on other sources, and yes, this seems like a reverse racism trap for hits/retweets/fodder.

"For context, Burnside has been collecting Hip-Hop related artifacts for the museum and the exhibit for years, including the late J Dilla's MPC machine among other items since 2006."

Shes been doing this since 2006... knows what shes doing, and is an ally. While the initial optics raise questions, the fact is shes doing work for the community. My kneejerk reaction earlier seems to be what was desired. So since 2006, no one else has been up for it, or have had the opportunity... which is a whole other kettle of fish.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah does everyone remember the twitter storm when this guy was announced as the president of the american society of obstetricians and gynecologists in 2017? (full disclosure: current president is a woman)

dr-brown-Nov-2017-293x403.ashx

Or when this guy was announced as executive director of the american board of obstetrics and gynecology?
george-wendel-29.jpg

Anybody?

Hello?

Status
Not open for further replies.