• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok here is something I want to discuss, especially with those who actually know how hiphop really started. Like, those who know that hiphop isnt just about rap. I mean, did it really "originate" or "start" from oppression from "whites." Or did it Grow from oppression from whites.

Im leaning towards the latter based on the history.

Hiphop started on sedgewick ave at a birthday party by Kool herc. Kool herc noticed people dancing more during the break beats so he decided to try making a continuous long break beat by just playing the break beat of one record and then going into the breakbeat of another and repeat. Nothing about that really involves oppression from whites. Now the graffiti, and later emceeing only grew the culture due to the oppression from whites for sure. But its actual inception? I feel like thats debateable.

Hip hop originated under conditions of socioeconomic oppression that existed as a direct consequence of white supremacy.

If you want to get into the finer details of the innovation and inspiration behind the origin of the "sound" of hip hop and how that not long after melded with the lyricism, dancing, fashion, art and cultural norms that created hip hop as we know it today and have for the majority of its existence, then that's always a dope discussion to have, but I don't think it is in any sense whatsoever, debatable that the the poor and disenfranchise black people saw it as a powerful movement to push back against those that oppressed them in self expression.

The surrounding details and circumstances such as her having a lengthy history and collecting things on her own for the museum seems like this was a personal passion of hers. Nobody seems to be disputing her qualifications so this is largely boiling down to her skin color. In which case she still has multiple black bosses. It's not like she's running the museum or anything approaching that level.

You're essentially saying no matter her qualifications, she shouldn't be hired at all because she's white.

That's a very simplified way of putting it, not that it would be unprecedented, because a lot of people wouldn't want a man to curate a museum dedicate to women's suffrage, or a non Native American to curate Native American history at a museum dedicated to it, or a non Japanese person to curate Japanese history for a museum dedicated to Japanese history.

Of course those things do happen, but they're wrong also.

There should be nothing outrageous about saying a white woman shouldn't be the one curating a black art form at a museum dedicated to black history.

If it weren't for her this shit wouldn't exist, period. Its sure as shit appropriate for her to be in the role and she shouldn't be expected to turn it down because the "optics" aren't right.

There is no evidence of that, and even if it was the cause, if it took a white woman to make a hip hop section happen, then that would only strengthen my argument that black voices should speak on behalf of black culture.

Hiphop IS a culture. Saying it the way you say it makes it seem like it isnt inclusive which even the forefathers of hiphop would disagree with you. Im rollling with KRS before im rollin with you bruh

Have we gotten to the point where you're denying hip hop is black culture in a thread where people have issue with a white woman being hired to be an authority on black art?

And who made you the end authority on this?

On an issue that is clearly controversial? No, I would think that something so controversial leading to such passionate discussions on race and cultural appropriate is not a non issue. To me, that would seem very obvious.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Sadly, I don't think it will be very visible there, but I do commend your efforts. Originally, I had requested the mods to add the post to the OP, but was rejected and told to ask the OP to do so first. I did, was rejected by the OP as well, and requested the mods to do it once more. That's been a while ago now, and I am not sure they agree the post belongs there. I suggest you report the post in question with the request for it to be added to the OP if you feel strongly about it as I do.

I'm not opposed to adding Sho_Nuff's information to the OP. I'm just not sure what that is supposed to clarify? Help me out here, because Sho_Nuff's post seems to largely address Burnside's qualifications, which don't seem to be what the dispute is centered around.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
This is akin to saying that there probably wouldn't be any black people who would want a job at the NYT because reporting is a low paying industry or a multitude of other industries that you mentioned. If you've already chosen that career, you probably want the job at one of the most important institutions in the nation. Are you meaning there just straight up aren't any black people that want to do work in a museum? That seems like an incredible claim.

Journalism and museum curator are completely different things. Journalists have a field 10,000 bigger than museum careers, even with cuts everywhere. You dont have to go to college to be a journalist.

For museums, you have to have a BA in art history or anthropology or something equally of dubious value in the real world, then a MA or a PHd to do the good stuff.

I have zero clue if black students want that life. But students of any color should look at the implications and I wouldn't be surprised that thoughtful students of any color would balk.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I do.

Hip Hop is black culture.

It is also inclusive.

It is woven through the very fabric of American history specifically.

It is all of these things.

But yes, it is black culture.
Of course it's a black culture. How many black hip hop archivist are there?

I didn't even know there are Hip Hop archivist. For all I know she is the only one.

I can name 20 people from the hip hop community from the late 80's and early 90's that I would say is either as knowledgeable or more knowledgeable simply from being there at that time (then again she could have been there too back then)

But are they qualified to be a archivist or whatever? No.

An easy neutral answer for me would be someone like Ed Lover.

OP
OP
RastaMentality
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not opposed to adding Sho_Nuff's information to the OP. I'm just not sure what that is supposed to clarify? Help me out here, because Sho_Nuff's post seems to largely address Burnside's qualifications, which don't seem to be what the dispute is centered around.
I really don't see the point of it either like ok? that's great. nobody said homegirl wasn't qualified.

Oct 25, 2017
We don't know why a black person wasn't chosen for the position. It could be literally anything. The outrage therefore is based on speculation and optics, not any concrete evidence to the contrary that she was the most qualified person for the position.

It's a salient point to me honestly because these are the people who you would be learning about in the exhibit and they're okay with it. I mean it's like saying you're not going to read a biography of Pete Rock if it was written by a white guy because there were black authors available, even though Pete Rock specifically wanted this guy to do it. And since this theoretical author wasn't black he shouldn't be trusted to relay Rock's experiences because he never had any of his own being black in America, despite it being from several interviews with Rock who was relating his story.

I ask again, where is the phantom black person who was overlooked for the position? Because that's what this is honestly coming down to here, from what I see. The optics of a white person in a position of authority over an exhibit dealing with primarily black art, regardless of her qualifications on the matter, the cosigning, etc. And with the lack of providing a name of someone, people are suggesting that she should resign, or the only decent thing she should have done is not take the job at all in the first place, which specifically is telling her that she should not advance herself beyond a certain level because that's not her place. Again, please explain to me how this isn't regressive to tell a woman who's spent her adult life working on this subject that she's allowed to only take her career so far due to no real fault of her own?

Again you're choosing to completely ignore/not read what several posters have said about this topic, and have come to your own conclusion about it. Many people are talking about this systemically. I don't know why you keep repeating this line

"Again, please explain to me how this isn't regressive to tell a woman who's spent her adult life working on this subject that she's allowed to only take her career so far due to no real fault of her own?"

When I literally said in the post you're responding to that this isn't what everyone is calling for. Many are looking at this in the broader sense as to why there wasn't black person chosen. Was this position even open to external hires? If it was were there truly a lack of black applicants? etc... Very few people in this thread are saying she should step down, and I don't think anyone has said she isn't qualified.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

My main reason for wanting it added, is that a lot of posters are assuming that this whole section was created because of her, and are using that as part of the justification for her hiring, when that isn't really the case.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a very simplified way of putting it, not that it would be unprecedented, because a lot of people wouldn't want a man to curate a museum dedicate to women's suffrage, or a non Native American to curate Native American history at a museum dedicated to it, or a non Japanese person to curate Japanese history for a museum dedicated to Japanese history.

Of course those things do happen, but they're wrong also.

There should be nothing outrageous about saying a white woman shouldn't be the one curating a black art form at a museum dedicated to black history.

it's fairly outrageous because she's extremely qualified and passionate about hip hop. So what happens if nobody else applied for the job? Or if none of the candidates were black? Should she not even be considered? There is more that we don't know including if anyone else was considered but I don't think it's fair to automatically assume that she stole the job from someone else. I'd feel the exact same way for other jobs like this.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017

The post goes over the founding history of the museum and the history of the individual this dispute is centered around. There have been multiple discussions within this very thread about who is in charge of the museum and how it came to be, and plenty of posters seemingly unaware of the curator's history in the field. Which is no surprise, given the OP offered but reactionary tweets to her hiring. All this information being added to it will make it easier for people to decide where they stand in this matter.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
Of course it's a black culture. How many black hip hop archivist are there?

I didn't even know there are Hip Hop archivist. For all I know she is the only one.

And that's a problem. Because while there might not be many Hip Hop archivists (which...how would we even know how many there were? Again, that's the problem,), Hip Hop is still relatively new as an artform. We're not digging through the troughs of ancient history here. So I don't really buy this idea that black academics who are incredibly knowledgeable in Hip Hop (of which there are a-plenty) couldn't curate a meaningful exhibit.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
And that's a problem. Because while there might not be many Hip Hop archivists (which...how would we even know how many there were? Again, that's the problem,), Hip Hop is still relatively new as an artform. We're not digging through the troughs of ancient history here. So I don't really buy this idea that black academics who are incredibly knowledgeable in Hip Hop (of which there are a-plenty) couldn't curate a meaningful exhibit.
Apparently we are not qualified to talk about our own culture.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
My ire is not for this woman. I have no issue with her studying black culture or question her genuine appreciation and interest. She's free to curate and create exhibits on any culture she would like. I'm sure she's qualified to do so.

But is it really too much to ask that when the National Museum of African American History and Culture open a section to curate hip hop, an art form that is a direct reflection of the black experience that the person they hire to represent the culture, to in effect become an authority on black culture that the person the museum hires is a black person, i.e. someone of the culture, who was born in it and understands it because they lived it?

I don't think it's too much to ask at all.

And if this lady wants to continue to study, appreciate, curate and educate others on black culture and black history, I'm not going to make bones about it, I have no issue with it. I just prefer it not to be at a museum dedicated to black history.

She's a white woman in America. I doubt she'd have a terribly difficult time finding success, and evident she hasn't in the past.

If that's unfair to you, fair enough, but there's nothing anyone can say that will convince me this is the right move.

I guess when I first opened up the thread, I was looking at it from an academic perspective. I've met history PhD students. It's a thankless job. My friend's wife recently dropped out of a program after 7 years because there was no end in sight and no job prospects beyond that. And she's a white woman studying European history.

In my field (biotech), to mirror the obgyn analogy before, you'd never tell someone they were ill-suited for cancer research or diabetes research because their family wasn't afflicted by the disease. "You didn't live it, you couldn't understand" is obviously true when working with patients of rare diseases, but it doesn't stop people from pursuing those research areas, and it doesn't make the families any less appreciative when they see the fruits of your labor. You do the work, you're the subject expert.

With the added context of the genesis of the exhibit, her superiors at the museum (and final gatekeepers of content) being educated black men and women, her support from inside the industry from notable contributors, and her history of well-regarded work on various aspects of African American history, I'm inclined to say that her work is probably more important than the optics of her whiteness being attached to it. If there was a danger of her diluting the experience due to her lack of perspective, I'd like to think that someone would've brought it to the museum's attention in the past decade.

Remember, she wasn't hired for this exhibit. She was hired 15 years ago because she's apparently a hell of a researcher. Asking the Smithsonian to hire more blacks is certainly fair; saying that the white employees in the building can't be customer facing is not. If she wasn't headlining this, it would be something else directly speaking to the black experience in America today.

When this exhibit runs its course she'll move on to the next subject, whatever that may be, and I should hope that she's not put off from chronicling and collecting the AA experience after this backlash. Because I think we can all agree, that this shit is fucking important.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
I guess when I first opened up the thread, I was looking at it from an academic perspective. I've met history PhD students. It's a thankless job. My friend's wife recently dropped out of a program after 7 years because there was no end in sight and no job prospects beyond that. And she's a white woman studying European history.

In my field (biotech), to mirror the obgyn analogy before, you'd never tell someone they were ill-suited for cancer research or diabetes research because their family wasn't afflicted by the disease. "You didn't live it, you couldn't understand" is obviously true when working with patients of rare diseases, but it doesn't stop people from pursuing those research areas, and it doesn't make the families any less appreciative when they see the fruits of your labor. You do the work, you're the subject expert.

With the added context of the genesis of the exhibit, her superiors at the museum (and final gatekeepers of content) being educated black men and women, her support from inside the industry from notable contributors, and her history of well-regarded work on various aspects of African American history, I'm inclined to say that her work is probably more important than the optics of her whiteness being attached to it. If there was a danger of her diluting the experience due to her lack of perspective, I'd like to think that someone would've brought it to the museum's attention in the past decade.

Remember, she wasn't hired for this exhibit. She was hired 15 years ago because she's apparently a hell of a researcher. Asking the Smithsonian to hire more blacks is certainly fair; saying that the white employees in the building can't be customer facing is not. If she wasn't headlining this, it would be something else directly speaking to the black experience in America today.

When this exhibit runs its course she'll move on to the next subject, whatever that may be, and I should hope that she's not put off from chronicling and collecting the AA experience after this backlash. Because I think we can all agree, that this shit is fucking important.
Good post.

Benita

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
The purest thing that could have been done was to create the exhibit while apprenticing a black person for the role through some type of search in academia settings. Otherwise just seems like an opportunistic move.
Hey I think that would have been awesome if it worked out that way.

I just don't think that should be the expectation.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
Ok here is something I want to discuss, especially with those who actually know how hiphop really started. Like, those who know that hiphop isnt just about rap. I mean, did it really "originate" or "start" from oppression from "whites." Or did it Grow from oppression from whites.

Im leaning towards the latter based on the history.

Hiphop started on sedgewick ave at a birthday party by Kool herc. Kool herc noticed people dancing more during the break beats so he decided to try making a continuous long break beat by just playing the break beat of one record and then going into the breakbeat of another and repeat. Nothing about that really involves oppression from whites. Now the graffiti, and later emceeing only grew the culture due to the oppression from whites for sure. But its actual inception? I feel like thats debateable.

Technically, hip hop's roots are in the Jamaican sound systems and toasting from the late 60s. It's been a soundboard for racial oppression just by the fact that it's a black art form.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's fairly outrageous because she's extremely qualified and passionate about hip hop. So what happens if nobody else applied for the job? Or if none of the candidates were black? Should she not even be considered? There is more that we don't know including if anyone else was considered but I don't think it's fair to automatically assume that she stole the job from someone else. I'd feel the exact same way for other jobs like this.

I don't know how much more clearer I can make it that this issue goes beyond this individual.

I have not suggest she stole anything. As far as I know she is qualified for the job.

I'm trying to speak to the broader situation. Do we know no one else applied for the job, if so, why, and if others did, then what are the odds a white woman is more qualified to curate black art than a black person? History would suggest white privilege has a lot do with it.

Benita

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
Whether you buy it or not is irrelevant. This woman is clearly passionate about the subject and she's the one who made it happen. Neither you nor I have a clue what it takes to curate an exhibit of this magnitude.

Until someone actually steps up and says "I'm a black person and I'm qualified for that job", you're holding the museum to some impossible, unknowable standard.

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Florida
I get this forum doesn't have a lot of black folks. So a lot of you probably can't process get why this is a problem. But I'll try to explain it. - Visibility

Imagine being black. Hip hop is the culture, an art that you know is great but as you grew up you see it's lowkey not respected. Despite the depth of its artistry.

The world tells you they love it or hate everyday. But whatever black folks made that. We made our culture what it is.

For those of you not Black. Do you know what a lot (not all) Black folks take to heart? Visibility. We want to acknowledge our history and be acknowledged for its greatness.

We need to see everything for the culture out there. Hip hop like everything else black is an experience to hear and see thrive for black folks.

Speaking of visibility that's one of the primary reasons the museum was made. We needed to have our history recognized.

In this particular case it's a message being sent:

Her hiring feels like even hip hop curation for National Museum of African American History and Culture needs a non Black validation.

Or another view is that what is clearly a part of our culture doesn't need a black person.

That in itself is where the problem lies and what's being voiced. What is a reflection of our culture can't be run by us? In a museum for us? The visibility is bad.

Personally speaking, it's insensitive to what the museum is and the purpose at hand.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
Whether you buy it or not is irrelevant. This woman is clearly passionate about the subject and she's the one who made it happen. Neither you nor I have a clue what it takes to curate an exhibit of this magnitude.

Until someone actually steps up and says "I'm a black person and I'm qualified for that job", you're holding the museum to some impossible, invisible standard.

She's not the one who made it happen.

Benita

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
I get this forum doesn't have a lot of black folks. So a lot of you probably can't process get why this is a problem. But I'll try to explain it. - Visibility

Imagine being black. Hip hop is the culture, an art that you know is great but as you grew up you see it's lowkey not respected. Despite the depth of its artistry.

The world tells you they love it or hate everyday. But whatever black folks made that. We made our culture what it is.

For those of you not Black. Do you know what a lot (not all) Black folks take to heart? Visibility. We want to acknowledge our history and be acknowledged for its greatness.

We need to see everything for the culture out there. Hip hop like everything else black is an experience to hear and see thrive for black folks.

Speaking of visibility that's one of the primary reasons the museum was made. We needed to have our history recognized.

In this particular case it's a message being sent:

Her hiring feels like even hip hop curation for National Museum of African American History and Culture needs a non Black validation.

Or another view is that what is clearly a part of our culture doesn't need a black person.

That in itself is where the problem lies and what's being voiced. What is a reflection of our culture can't be run by us? In a museum for us? The visibility is bad.

Personally speaking, it's insensitive to what the museum is and the purpose at hand.
I'd suggest that thanks to this woman, the culture now has significantly more "visibility" than it did without her.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Very good post, thank you.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People have expertise in all areas unrelated to their cultural background. Do all archeologists have to be from the geographical area they are interested in?

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Who are they? Because I would love to read on what they think, say, opinions on what I consider the golden years of hip hop. Because I love the 70's, 80's, 90's hip hop that much.

Do the MC's have a problem with it, if they don't then I don't see the issue beyond.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure where people get the idea that there is some massive backlog of people just waiting to be a museum Curator. Even more so at a National Museum. The Education requirements alone are massive then there is the other dozen or so requirements that you need to meet before you can even put your foot in the door for consideration. A Smithsonian Curator makes between 60k to 100k a year depending on experience etc. Its not a high paying job for the amount of work/education you have to achieve to even qualify for the job.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
She's not the one who made it happen.
She is one of the people working on this project from the beginning. From the info quoted earlier that hasn't been added to the OP:

Timothy began her career with the Smithsonian at the National Museum of American History in 2003 where she worked in the Archives Center and Division of Cultural History, then helped to launch that museum's hip-hop collecting initiative in 2006.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Royalan I've laid out to you why I think the post is worthy of being added to the OP. If you still disagree, I would at least like to know why.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Outrage over this is such a bad look smh. Imagine the reaction if the same headline was printed for a minority doing some white people thing(idk, curating cheese or something ? What are some white people things era ?)

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I get what people are saying about she should have turned down the job. But at the same time you're asking someone to turn down a job. That's too much. She has a right to pursuing her career.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
This is a different statement from mine. She's not the one who made it happen.
Oh absolutely, no one person made it happen. It takes a lot of people coming together to start a big project like this. I do think it's important to note that she was there from day one on the project though.

Edit: I agree the optics on this aren't the best, and I can't argue with anyone who would have preferred an African American in the role.

vodalus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CT
If you honestly have no problem with this, and think this is a positive way to convey African-American culture, that's fine. There is room to disagree here.

But you should not be in the least surprised that someone would find this objectionable. The story of African-American culture is that it has been appropriated by whites again, and again, and again. Are you really that shocked if this looks to all observers like a continuation of this disturbing, destroying trend?

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
Royalan I've laid out to you why I think the post is worthy of being added to the OP. If you still disagree, I would at least like to know why.

Two reasons:

1) This isn't an argument about Burnside's academic qualifications. So the post doesn't clarify so much as provide an unintended straw man.

2) The OP wants to keep the post as-is. And, provided the post isn't inflammatory or blatantly deceptive, mods tend to not make a habit of editing OPs.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Outrage over this is such a bad look smh. Imagine the reaction if the same headline was printed for a minority doing some white people thing(idk, curating cheese or something ? What are some white people things era ?)

tenor.gif

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how much more clearer I can make it that this issue goes beyond this individual.

I have not suggest she stole anything. As far as I know she is qualified for the job.

I'm trying to speak to the broader situation. Do we know no one else applied for the job, if so, why, and if others did, then what are the odds a white woman is more qualified to curate black art than a black person? History would suggest white privilege has a lot do with it.
we don't know any of that which is more the issue than anything else because it's all speculation than anything. What are the odds nobody else wanted the job or applied for it?

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure where people get the idea that there is some massive backlog of people just waiting to be a museum Curator. Even more so at a National Museum. The Education requirements alone are massive then there is the other dozen or so requirements that you need to meet before you can even put your foot in the door for consideration. A Smithsonian Curator makes between 60k to 100k a year depending on experience etc. Its not a high paying job for the amount of work/education you have to achieve to even qualify for the job.

Not to discount her experience or anything, but looking at her site she has a BA and an MA. That doesn't seem like some crazy academic requirements, especially today. I have an MA and if those salaries are correct she'd be making more than me....

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
User Warned: Inflammatory generalization.
Can't really think of anything, isn't that part of the problem with white people? No real culture? At least not one that anyone should be proud of.

Edit: LMAO what a bullshit warning, but whatever I'll own that. I guess saying I can't come up with anything that stands out as something I'd call "my people's culture" is worthy of a warning.

Last edited:

Dragnipur

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
User Warned: Inflammatory generalization.
Can't really think of anything, isn't that part of the problem with white people? No real culture? At least not one that anyone should be proud of.
Only thing I can think of from an American standpoint is most rural (Redneck) culture, but that isn't really something to be proud of. European culture is a different story thoufh

Last edited:

aliengmr

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how much extra attention this exhibit got simply due to the controversy. I mean, if it's all about optics, her skin color might end up having a positive effect on the museum itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.