• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sony conference
a very mysterious trailer showing landscapes in next gen graphics, then a rose on the ground, then the words "She will not be forgotten", lightning grabs the rose and appears for 3 secs, then the FF13/logo appears and changes to ff16

toriyama gets on stage with a rose
The rest of us watching the stream
MajesticAliveBanteng-size_restricted.gif

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I would not be shocked in the slightest if the next game had a female protagonist. This isn't Persona.

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They could easily make the next FF with a Female protagnist, it would actually be more refreshing after FFXV.
Female lead is fine as long as it's done by somebody who can write women, there's no need otherwise since a bland characters gender doesn't make a difference.
Lightning is one of my favourite FF characters design wise but her personality sucks.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't change the result and how it'll be hard to fill her boots anyway. She's one of the most popular FF protags and managed to get a trilogy around her, that was the original point.

She "managed" that because Toriyama was given free rein for a decade to force her down everyone's throats. She's basically only popular because she was ubiquitous to the franchise for as long as she was.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Female protagonists in a JRPG isn't very farfetched, FF included. Question is whether they will be a good character, something that's up in the air regardless if the protag is male or female.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I could see it happening. We're only one single player FF removed from the Lightning trilogy, FFX-2 was all girl, and I'd even say Ashe is the most main character of 12 since it's her quest they're on.

I'm on board with the people saying take the Agni demo's character, or just turn that into a game.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I could see it happening. We're only one single player FF removed from the Lightning trilogy, FFX-2 was all girl, and I'd even say Ashe is the most main character of 12 since it's her quest they're on.

I'm on board with the people saying take the Agni demo's character, or just turn that into a game.

Ehhhhh, can we NOT do another "modern world but with MAGIC" setting so soon after FFXV? A complete change of setting would be really nice.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
She "managed" that because Toriyama was given free rein for a decade to force her down everyone's throats. She's basically only popular because she was ubiquitous to the franchise for as long as she was.
It'd be known if you only had to be shoved down a throat to become a popular character. That's not the case.

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
Final Fantasy is one of the best series for having prominent female party members, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Also it's funny you used Terra as an example when the vast majority of that cast is male.
Ehhhh, while that does make a difference, I didn't see her become that popular in NA. I think she just appeals to the Japanese audience in ways we can't understand.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Why so much effort to go out of your way to look foolish? Go Play FF IX or XII.

Also, very very weird topic. I don't see why they wouldn't....
XII and IX are some of my favorite entries after VI and Tactics, that does not make them well written, in my opinion at least. I can appreciate you having a different opinion, but insulting someone for having a difference in opinion on writing quality in games is, well, foolish. It ain't that serious man.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
What is that pattern lol... Ashe was clearly the protagonist, that unknown boy was a tutorial character.

Now that you mention it I vaguely remember a woefully under-leveled urchin boy from the tutorial who'd occasionally be given the privilege to come in and steal for his betters. Dan, I think his name was?

Oct 25, 2017
Considering she's actually still one of the most popular FF protagonists in Japan, had 3 games, multiple partnerships with other brands (like Louis Vuitton)...
I'd say yes.

www.telegraph.co.uk

‘I am proud to be chosen’: Final Fantasy character Lightning on being welcomed into the Louis Vuitton ‘family’

It wasn't only the inclusion of Jayden Smith, the 17-year-old son of actor Will Smith in Louis Vuitton’s new ad campaign that has garnered headlines recently, but the casting of a virtual character too.

Popularity especially in this day and age, does not correlate with quality what-so-fucking-ever.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
We got one installment with (almost) full boys cast well acquainted, i expect one with (almost) full girls cast who will meet gradually.
I suffered with a full boys cast, too much "bros" in there (i like Bros, but with Super Mario in front)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
We got one installment with (almost) full boys cast well acquainted, i expect one with (almost) full girls cast who will meet gradually.
I suffered with a full boys cast, too much "bros" in there (i like Bros, but with Super Mario in front)

FF already had an all-girl party ages ago, though.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
I mean FF is one of the lasts series I'd worry about with this. Heck they even gave us an all female party with X-2 which I loved. I also liked the bros from 15 too.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Don't think its out of question as FF games with female protagonists exist, SE saw how part of what made Nier Automata popular was 2B a female protag, they clearly like making cool female characters and in a world where XV wasn't a boyband road trip Aranea would have 200% been a party member

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019

I didn't play X-2 ... i was at a critical time in my education around that time.
Well, now i know what i will play when i am done with my current play.

Thanks for the hint !

(i always thought it was the same cast as X ... and hated blitzball, so after i was done i never looked back to make up for the time lost)

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
It would be a nice change of pace after the boy band.

Here is another wish of mine... don't assign a writer who thinks it is impossible for men to have female friends (or to act naturally around female friends) to the next Final Fantasy game.

Last edited:

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
.......Persona's had the same amount of female protagonist as mainline FF.(Not counting character creators.)

Huh?

Persona had P3P and Persona 2 and arguably P3fes

But FF had FF6, FFX-2 and FF-13 and FF13-2

With 4 different main protagonists that were women.

Unless I'm missing some mainline persona games

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Remember that time they made a final fantasy with a female protagonist and turned it into a frigging trilogy?

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think there's a decent chance, but I wouldn't put money on it.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
I knew someone was gonna say this as soon as I posted. All I can say is, I simply disagree. Most Final Fantasy protagonists look extremely European to me. The only ones that looked even slightly Japanese, in my opinion at least, were Tidus and Noctis.

Tidus was definitely the first unambiguous poc FF character.

I'd like to see them take another stab at an asian inspired setting too. I'd like them to dial down the sci-fi elements and we have enough European inspired fantasy.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't say it won't happen but FFXV was the first FF I played with not a single playable woman.
Just typing that is depressing, what a mess of a game.

May 13, 2019
.......Persona's had the same amount of female protagonist as mainline FF.(Not counting character creators.)
To me, Persona has a better record since I consider FFVI to have an ensemble cast, leaving FFXIII as the only mainline game with a female protagonist.

Person has Maya from Persona 2 Eternal Punishment, Aegis from Persona 3 The Answer. Persona 3 Portable's FeMC could count, if one deems P3P the definitive version of Persona 3.
Huh?

Methinks that both FFX-2 and FF13-2 are spinoff games.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Huh?

This is admittedly me being pedantic but I don't count the number sequels as "mainline." To me "mainline" is 1-15.

Obviously if we include everything FF has more. I just didn't get that particular comparison.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Popularity especially in this day and age, does not correlate with quality what-so-fucking-ever.
1) Japanese fans (and others) seem to think otherwise.
2) A lot of characters would be more popular if quality didn't matter.
3) The original point wasn't about quality, but I guess some people can't help but get angry as soon as someone say "Lightning" in a FF thread.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
not that it's the most inclusive, forward thinking franchise ever but FF is pretty agnostic with gender

if creative brass has an idea for an FF16 with lady/ladies at the forefront it'll happen

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say it won't happen but FFXV was the first FF I played with not a single playable woman.

To be fair, the only playable character in XV at launch was Noctis. Period. They added the others in via a patch.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To me, Persona has a better record since I consider FFVI to have an ensemble cast, leaving FFXIII as the only mainline game with a female protagonist.

Person has Maya from Persona 2 Eternal Punishment, Aegis from Persona 3 The Answer. Persona 3 Portable's FeMC could count, if one deems P3P the definitive version of Persona 3.

Methinks that both FFX-2 and FF13-2 are spinoff games.
This is admittedly me being pedantic but I don't count the number sequels as "mainline." To me "mainline" is 1-15.

Obviously if we include everything FF has more. I just didn't get that particular comparison.

Ahh, ok. Fair enough I guess.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm with you OP, and can we please not have it be a white protagonist for once? I'd love a black female protagonist led Final Fantasy, but I just don't see it ever happening.

By the way, FFVI is absolutely the best mainline entry. You got that good taste OP. Now convince my wife to actually finish the damn thing lol.
Japanese characters are not default white, they are meant to be read as Japanese unless otherwise specified.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
I don't know if it's because I'm a female who wants to play the latest game of her favorite franchise as a female, or because my favorite Final Fantasy game is FFVI.
220px-Terra_Branford_N.png

Yet I know it won't happen, even though now there are more female protagonist in gaming than ever (correct me if I'm wrong).
Why I think it won't happen? Because it's kinda impossible for SE to follow the 'one part with male protagonist then one part with female' formula, since for FF it is/was 5M - 1F - 5M - 1F (not counting MMOs, of course).
But still, I will keep on hoping against hope.

Anyone with me?
I'm the director of FFXVI and the lead is female

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking only for myself, I don't think I would want a modern FF with a main female lead unless the head writer for said game is also a woman.

Lightning was so absolutely awful in every possible way that I'm still scarred.
She really was terrible, and seemingly stopped being the main character of her own game in the last quarter.

If they do have another female protagonist, I just hope she doesn't look like Cindy from XV.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I didn't play X-2 ... i was at a critical time in my education around that time.
Well, now i know what i will play when i am done with my current play.

Thanks for the hint !

(i always thought it was the same cast as X ... and hated blitzball, so after i was done i never looked back to make up for the time lost)

Yeah X-2 is a smaller cast of only 3 playable female leads.

Didn't play it myself so I can't speak for it's quality.

51Oodd6WIzL.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I don't know, Lightning was one of the series' most popular protags in Japan so I could see them going down that road again sooner than you might think.

Another woman lead would be cool - just make sure she's better than Lightning 👀

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
I don't think its improbable, they did it before(and for a long time with XIII). If this was persona or idk, tales of then i'd agree.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Japanese characters are not default white, they are meant to be read as Japanese unless otherwise specified.

Given the European settings of many of the Final Fantasy games, this seems wrong. I mean, their names aren't typically Japanese either. Are you telling me Tina, the hero from Final Fantasy 6, is supposed to be Japanese? I fail to see a compelling argument here.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I don't consider that aspect to be depressing since we got an all girl game waaayyyy before FFXV. The rest of the game is a whole nother story.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I don't know if it's because I'm a female who wants to play the latest game of her favorite franchise as a female, or because my favorite Final Fantasy game is FFVI.
220px-Terra_Branford_N.png

Yet I know it won't happen, even though now there are more female protagonist in gaming than ever (correct me if I'm wrong).
Why I think it won't happen? Because it's kinda impossible for SE to follow the 'one part with male protagonist then one part with female' formula, since for FF it is/was 5M - 1F - 5M - 1F (not counting MMOs, of course).
But still, I will keep on hoping against hope.

Anyone with me?
You havent played FFXIII or FFX-2 ?