• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
What would be unusual about a FF with a female protagonist? There's a good chance.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
I would love another female main protagonist so long as the lead designer or writer doesn't start bringing flowers for her

image0.png

I still haven't bothered to give the XIII trilogy another shot once I saw this live

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
You know, this is the first time I've even thought of FFXVI. I guess assumed they'd be full steam ahead on FF7Remake Episodes + FF14 for the foreseeable future.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
After XV, it'd be pretty nice. The female representation in the game was poor to say the least. Lunafreya was a non factor, at least in the version of the game I played, and besides Aranea there's only the gas station attendant which has a bad design that I remember.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
I think the general reception to Lightning is going to sour this idea for mainline FF games for a good while still.

Good news is the Bravely games don't seem to be too averse from female leads.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Japanese characters are not default white, they are meant to be read as Japanese unless otherwise specified.

Do you have a source for Square Enix saying that this is the case? Or is this just an assumption? I've always found FF characters to be Eurasian.

I could be pulling this info out of my ass but I'm pretty sure I remember reading that Square (this might be before the merger) incorporates both European and Asian characteristics into their character designs, to have it balanced enough so westerners see the characters as being white, and Japanese see them as, well, Japanese. Like I said though, I might just be straight up wrong bc Im not finding any legit sources to back me up.

Even without sources though, I think it's pretty wild to say that unless stated otherwise, everyone in Final Fantasy games should be assumed to be Japanese. Yuffie? Sure. Rinoa? I can believe it. But no way in hell is Cloud Japanese.

Jul 24, 2018
I think unlike Atlus, Square is very aware that they have a big female fanbase so a female protagonist doesn't seem far out to happen again. Hopefully one better than Lightning.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah OP of all the franchises out there FF is one of the few that ain't shy about having women protags. I'd say there's a good chance of XVI having a lady protag, especially after Agni's Philosophy got such buzz.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Eh, I think that pattern is coincidental. As for FFXVI I'm actually getting my hopes up for a female protagonist considering the entire main cast was male for FFXV.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
5 male - 1 female - 5 male - 1 female

10 single player - 1 online - 2 single player - 1 online

10 - 8 = 2, therefore the online game pattern disruption will invade the single player series, and now FFXVII will have a female lead. However, we've gone from 3 mainline titles a generation, to 1.5 a generation (XIV being partially cross gen). So next generation we'll only get 3/4s of FFXVI, is 12/16ths (this will play into the first mainline entry being given a subtitle, Final Fantasy XVI: 12 of 16 and the Four Warriors of F8). If you add the 12 and the 16 and the 8 in the title you get 36. Counting all non numeric parts of the title, you have 35 characters. 35 out of 36. Why is there one missing?

Easy, because the one missing one makes the difference between XVI and XVII - one of XVIIs 36 female protagonists has moved through the veil, and the story of XVI is actually about the male protagonist helping the female protagonist of the next game go home. So you'll actually get to meet your next female protagonist in the next mainline entry, even though she'll only share co-protag status in the next generation (and a quarter, which implies FFXVII is exclusive to a combination of PS5 Pro and Switch 2 Fitbit component, kind of like that FFVII Chocobo PlayStation mini thing).

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to listen to my TED Talk.

Whirlpool

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it's not unlikely. I half-way expect it, honestly.

I think the probability of a female leads and a well-written one would depend on the director. As would a lot of things in terms of quality for FFXVI. Like Nomura sure as hell isn't going to write a decent female lead, if he wanted to in the first place.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully

Loved Lightning. One of the better FF protags

And Ashe is pretty much the main character of FF12 for me

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
There is nothing unbelievable about a new FF with female protagonist. We have at least 5 FF games with female leads.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you have a source for Square Enix saying that this is the case? Or is this just an assumption? I've always found FF characters to be Eurasian.

I could be pulling this info out of my ass but I'm pretty sure I remember reading that Square (this might be before the merger) incorporates both European and Asian characteristics into their character designs, to have it balanced enough so westerners see the characters as being white, and Japanese see them as, well, Japanese. Like I said though, I might just be straight up wrong bc Im not finding any legit sources to back me up.

Even without sources though, I think it's pretty wild to say that unless stated otherwise, everyone in Final Fantasy games should be assumed to be Japanese. Yuffie? Sure. Rinoa? I can believe it. But no way in hell is Cloud Japanese.
Incorporating some western aspects into a Japanese design does not make it non-Japanese. Honestly no idea about Cloud, but just because he has blonde hair doesnt mean he isn't considered Japanese. Anne in P5 has blonde hair and she is only 1/4th white, 3/4ths Japanese.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
we had an entire console generation go by where the 3 Final Fantasy's starred Lightning. FF is not even close to a series you should worry about not entertaining the idea of having a female protagonist. They will just choose whatever fits the story they wanna tell /shrug

Im just sad we wont see the boys in black anymore );

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
I agree with the Agni's Philisophy fans here.

I know it doesn't count, but it looks like the main character of Bravely Default 2 is a woman, so at least there's that.

Oct 31, 2017
What a weird thread considering the fact that VI's main character is Terra and XII's is basically Ashe and XIII's is Lightning (and Fang and Vanille)

And if we're counting sequels there's Yuna for X-2, Serah for XIII-2, and Lightning again for LR

Maybe not XVI, but there definitely will be female mains in the future again

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
i think its at least possible, as many have pointed out XIII was only two entries ago. That's assuming we even get a ffxvi, which at this point is.. uncertain?

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
Yeah... the series is dying. *eyeroll*
they are having to throw everything at the FIRST part of final fantasy VII in order to complete it. theyve seen in various interviews over the years that these large-scale projects have gotten out of hand expense wise, return on investment etc. you really think a future in which there's no FFXVI isnt at least possible?

Oct 31, 2017
they are having to throw everything at the FIRST part of final fantasy VII in order to complete it. theyve seen in various interviews over the years that these large-scale projects have gotten out of hand expense wise, return on investment etc. you really think a future in which there's no FFXVI isnt at least possible?

No? It's literally the flagship franchise for SE some of you guys really need to stop being all doom and gloom all the time

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
I'm with you OP. For as much shit as she gets, I actually really liked Lightning and her whole saga, so I'd be stoked to get another lady MC.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

They're doing it to maximize the amount of money people spend on their silly remake. That's all. By making Midgar its own game, they can basically split the rest of the story out over three installments and make people pay full price four times.

And the sad part is, it'll work.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017

I mean, part 1 is done.

Part 2 and 3 are probably damn near done now too.

They spent the better part of a decade making an engine to do games just like FF15 and FF7r relatively easily. There will ABSOLUTELY be an FF16. The only thing that will cause it to take time are galavanting around japan trying to "AUTHENTICATE THE ROAD TRIP" again

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota

Asian folk can have natural blonde hair though if that's the reason you could never believe that Cloud could be Japanese. I think you're correct about their design philosophy though.

I don't think they really have a pattern. Though I think JRPGs at large have this problem of being about the female lead but you play the every-man boring character instead of the actual main character.

FFVII is mostly about Aerith, though it's more an ensemble after Midgard
FFX is actually about Yuna but you play as the onlooker: Tidus
FFXI is about Shantotto but the game would be too easy if you played as her.
FFXII is about Ashe but you play as this mysterious person I forget the name of.

This happens in other JRPGs and anime a lot.

Deleted member 227

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They had massive success with Lightning, and rightly so. She's a great character. I don't see why it's implausible they'd attempt to chase that kind of success again.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Asian folk can have natural blonde hair though if that's the reason you could never believe that Cloud could be Japanese. I think you're correct about their design philosophy though.

I don't think they really have a pattern. Though I think JRPGs at large have this problem of being about the female lead but you play the every-man boring character instead of the actual main character.

FFVII is mostly about Aerith, though it's more an ensemble after Midgard
FFX is actually about Yuna but you play as the onlooker: Tidus
FFXI is about Shantotto but the game would be too easy if you played as her.
FFXII is about Ashe but you play as this mysterious person I forget the name of.

This happens in other JRPGs and anime a lot.

FFVII is...pretty much entirely about Cloud. Aeris is barely even focused on outside of a couple scenes and her death.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They're doing it to maximize the amount of money people spend on their silly remake. That's all. By making Midgar its own game, they can basically split the rest of the story out over three installments and make people pay full price four times.

And the sad part is, it'll work.
It's not like the resource and manpower it'd take to make each of those games would be any cheaper. You're talking as if this Midgar portion is on the same scale as Lightning Returns or something.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's not like the resource and manpower it'd take to make each of those games would be any cheaper. You're talking as if this Midgar portion is on the same scale as Lightning Returns or something.

Lightning Returns is honestly probably pretty close to an accurate representation of part 1, since it's not like "environmental diversity" is really going to factor into the experience. Lots and lots of filler content jammed into a fairly short chunk of story to justify a $60 price tag.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
If it's Yoshi-P directing, I think XVI will have both male & female option similar to modern Assassin's Creed games.

Oct 31, 2017
Lightning Returns is honestly probably pretty close to an accurate representation of part 1, since it's not like "environmental diversity" is really going to factor into the experience. Lots and lots of filler content jammed into a fairly short chunk of story to justify a $60 price tag.

Ok but let's wait until the full release before we judge the content and amount of filler??

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
Why is it impossible? I'm no FF fan, but didnt the FF13 trilogy have a female lead?

Since they are making FF7, which has a Male lead, I would say the chances of FF16 having a female lead are quite good. Since they can alternate between male and female lead between FF7 remake games and FF16. I guess it depends on the story they want to tell with FF16

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Huh? Just because he directed an MMO?
He's alot more I should say....progressive or modern than most japanese video game directors ---- and it shows with how XIV evolved over the years.
If there is demand for it, I can see it happens.
I doubt it. They're going to have a set protagonist in XVI, not a player-created one.
No, not player created. Properly designed protagonist of both gender.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Don't worry, we're sure to get a female lead eventually; just twelve more titles to go.

zp3OxVPTysUo6ZlXFrr32DY47_auLXNB8qC1CdX7q_U.jpg

An easter egg in Dues Ex: Human Revolution, for those wondering