• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
It's true that Final Fantasy has had a number of either main or central ladies, but we have to look at quality over quantity. X-2 and the entire XIII trilogy was filled with disgusting, misogynistic, pandering nonsense, mostly stemming from Toriyama's frankly disturbing obsession with playing dress up with his anime waifus. It's not enough to just have a female character when you're still objectifying her and designing entirely from a male gaze.

And yes, it's also true that we have many FF games where the woman is the true protagonist narratively (e.g. Yuna in X and Ashe in XII), but Square clings to this framing wherein you have to see her story develop through the eyes of the naive teen boy (Tidus and Vaan). Now don't get me wrong, X and XII are probably my favorite FF games, but why can't we as the player experience a story about a woman or women from the perspective of the actual woman? It's because Square still fundamentally sees their audience as young men, and the games are primarily written by men.

There's a very good chance that the next FF title could have a female lead, but I don't trust Square at all to write her authentically or to not continue to treat her like a sex doll.

I think you pretty much summed it up. I don't think SE is bold enough or competent enough to properly handle a female main character. I don't think they would even understand the criticism of the characters in games like FFX-2.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
We had a trilogy of this queen! (Not sure FF is the best series to pick on in terms of female diversity, even earlier games they always felt pretty inclusive to me, even when they weren't protagonists).

lightning_returns_final_fantasy_xiii-3368047.jpg

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't we already had several female protagonists in FF? We had 10-2 which was an all female cast, and we had lightning returns.. I don't think it's impossible to imagine they'd do it again.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
So in the most recent mainline FF titles (past 20 years or so) we've gone male (X), female (X-2), MMO, male (XII), female (XIII), female (XIII-2), female (XIII-LR), MMO, male (XV). So why you think there won't possibly be one for XVI doesn't make sense to me. Now if you'd said you don't think we'd get a well written female lead, then you'd probably be onto something.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
The sad thing is that Lightning didn't have a very good story written for her, but she's a breath of fresh air compared to other female JRPG protagonists these days. No nonsense personality, no overly sexualized design, etc.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
As much as I've shit on Final Fantasy from XII onwards, they've seemingly done right by most of their female characters, especially in recent years. I'd say there's a good chance of it happening.

May 13, 2019
The sad thing is that Lightning didn't have a very good story written for her, but she's a breath of fresh air compared to other female JRPG protagonists these days. No nonsense personality, no overly sexualized design, etc.
Honestly, that's another can of worms. We had a topic a while ago about what are basically male characters with a female paint job but I can't seem to find it now...

RedGator

Nov 7, 2017
If there can be characters like Barret, Sahz and Fang, theres no reason why there can't be a MC of colour. A lot of 12's cast dont seem to be euro-white looking compared to other series entries.

I'm not really fussed in general though, and my excitement is always interrupted by the realisation that they want to create an ever changing eco-system game with product partnerships, etc but it runs the experience for me.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
That would definitely make me more interested in playing it. Luckily there are lots of good RPGs with women leads out there these days.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
You should try FF14 as you can create your own character and get a female warrior of light ! :)

meadowdrone

Oct 27, 2017
UK
People are always glossing over FF5 where the second half of the game had 3/4 cool women in your party with just as much agency and plot relevance as the guy, if not moreso. Not that the writing of the SNES days were exactly up to snuff, but you know, it's fun. And you can dress them up like bloodthirsty wolves or maniacal chemists and stuff?

I'll take more of that with an ensemble cast of mostly women over a single protagonist taking the spotlight. If we have to then of course I'd rather we have a postergirl than a posterboy, but still.

You should try FF14 as you can create your own character and get a female warrior of light ! :)
I know it "doesn't count" for a lot of people, but hey that's what I did and it means a lot to me, especially with how involved the story gets.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think it's that unlikely. Square hasn't really been shy about pushing female protagonists / characters.

Of course, a new mainline FF happens like once or twice a decade nowadays so waiting for new stuff can be quite long.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
A true wish that won't come true would be wishing for a female protagonist in the next GTA.

adinsx

Oct 30, 2017
I just hope the game is good. Can't really say the last single players FF's that I played are good.
Still go back to play VI, VII, IX because they are truly good games, the new Final Fantasies don't make me want to come back.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
I would like a Female Final fantasy 16 protagonist aswell, but I don't know if that is going to happen considering we got 3 XIII Lightning games in a row not too long ago with a female protagonist.

Oct 31, 2017
It's true that Final Fantasy has had a number of either main or central ladies, but we have to look at quality over quantity. X-2 and the entire XIII trilogy was filled with disgusting, misogynistic, pandering nonsense, mostly stemming from Toriyama's frankly disturbing obsession with playing dress up with his anime waifus. It's not enough to just have a female character when you're still objectifying her and designing entirely from a male gaze.

And yes, it's also true that we have many FF games where the woman is the true protagonist narratively (e.g. Yuna in X and Ashe in XII), but Square clings to this framing wherein you have to see her story develop through the eyes of the naive teen boy (Tidus and Vaan). Now don't get me wrong, X and XII are probably my favorite FF games, but why can't we as the player experience a story about a woman or women from the perspective of the actual woman? It's because Square still fundamentally sees their audience as young men, and the games are primarily written by men.

There's a very good chance that the next FF title could have a female lead, but I don't trust Square at all to write her authentically or to not continue to treat her like a sex doll.

The entire XIII trilogy filled with "misogynistic nonsense"? No. In the original the girls absolutely were the stars of the show. Only problem I would say with the original is Vanille's dumb moans

Oct 31, 2017

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
It'd definitely be nice, though I think the most important thing is a diverse cast of characters from different backgrounds and with different motivations. There have been FF games where I didn't really relate with the protagonist (FF7 especially) but really enjoyed some of the other party characters and their perspectives. I think the FF series is at its best when it broadens the focus across the party rather than everything happening through the lens of a single character.

So long as it's not another XV situation of 4 characters from the same place and with very similar motivations and goals. That was a disaster on so many fronts.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Like I said. I don't want a female lead without a female head writer. I don't trust Square not to fuck it up otherwise.
I wouldn't gender-code that part of the equation. Amy Hennig wrote male characters brilliantly, as do many, many female japanese writers, and the same goes for men writing women IMO, but there's a commonality of hacky writers who are straight, white, middle aged and tend to sexualize or stereotype women, and the same applies to a lot of japanese writers.

If they just got Nojima to write XVI he could do an awesome female hero.

May 13, 2019
The main scenario writer for Shadowbringers is a female and its the best story in Final Fantasy since 9
The scenario writer of Persona 3 Portable was also a woman and we still got things like being able to romance 10 years old Ken and putting the FeMC into fanservice outfits like bikini armors or maid uniforms.

What I'm saying it's that just having a woman writing the scenario doesn't guaranteed an absence of some questionable choices.

Oct 27, 2017
The main scenario writer for Shadowbringers is a female and its the best story in Final Fantasy since 9
Yeah, but a female writer is beneficial in the same way any diversity in staffing is. They bring a new perspective and differing ideas. But I think that poster's point was that a female writer doesn't guarantee good female characters, in the same way a male writer doesn't guarantee good male characters